Youth eligible for Pro contract? Benefits?

6 hours ago, jcp1417 said:

what are the benefits of offering a pro contract to a youth that turned 17? Do they train better or does it just stop other teams from poaching them?

Retaining them is key, but also they can join the first team in training and mentoring.

I've got a problem whereby on their 17th birthday they've still got a year on their 21 quid youth deal, but they want a big-boys contract - on non-contract terms only. Er, no way!

6 hours ago, phnompenhandy said:

Retaining them is key, but also they can join the first team in training and mentoring.

I've got a problem whereby on their 17th birthday they've still got a year on their 21 quid youth deal, but they want a big-boys contract - on non-contract terms only. Er, no way!

i have more questions based on these responses lol. why would you not sign the youth to a non-contract?

2 hours ago, Enos said:

Youth contracts are part time and pro contracts are usually full time... I believe.  Should give them more time to train.

what if my team is already part-time? would there be any benefit?

1 hour ago, White Flag said:

May well be in the US, but in the UK leagues a youth contract is full time.

I checked my U18 team training and it's only part time. do the players train individually full-time?

If your team is already part time it seems doubtful that you'd get any training benefit.  I also believe that a player on a youth contract can sign a pro contract with any team so you can,  maybe prevent another team from poaching a good young player.  I haven't played LLM in a while so I don't recall exactly.

7 hours ago, jcp1417 said:

why would you not sign the youth to a non-contract?

I had to do that with one as his youth contract was about to expire. Within a week he'd buggered off to another club. Others who wanted the same and I refused accepted part-time contracts a few months later.

Archived