Reducing the number of crosses in a direct 4-3-3?

Is anybody else having this problem with 50+ cross attempts in pretty much every game? I'm recreating a real tactic and it works well but my team takes tons of crosses every game. In preseason on my latest test save the cross numbers per game are: 16, 61, 69, 56, 92 with most of them coming from the full-backs... The tactic I'm using is attached.

Several factors are non-negotiable in terms of changes - heavy pressing, Attacking mentality, SK, regista, the IFs have to be attacking and narrow in order to cut inside and make a front three (which they don't do nearly enough by the way!!), the CMs have to run forward (CMa/MEZ/B2B), and the full-backs have to push high up.

The mentality has actually gone down from Very Attacking, and the FBs used to be CWBa so this is more conservative than the real version. I've tried various combinations involving 'underlap right+left', 'focus play through middle' and 'work ball into box' but nothing seems to stop the incessant crossing.

I realise that the tactic style can force the opposition to block the centre of the pitch/front of the box, but the play style is (on paper) close to the real-life version. Maybe it's just unworkable in the ME without a lot of crossing?

d5a294b208d4f6db5fe2f10e88101adc.png

Have you actually seen the high amount of crosses play out or are you primarily coming from the stat-screen?

The game has a pretty liberal definition of what counts as cross. Many normal lateral passes count as such and all crosses and many free kicks. Your wingbacks essentially have the wings to themselves while the rest of the team runs centrally; naturally they have room on the flanks and have to pass back into the centre.

You could experiment with IWBs. They defend like normal wingbacks and when the centre is packed they still run wide but they play narrower up front. Alternatively, make your wingbacks take less risks and/or do shorter passes. That usually makes them reconsider doing long+high.

With attacking mentality coupled with extremely high tempo and more direct passing and both wide forwards as IFs on attack duty, it's quite natural that WBs will cross too much because they are lacking other viable options most of the time. The higher the tempo, the more eager players are to get the ball into the box quickly and finish the attacking move. And even more so when the mentality is also high, since mentality affects all other tactical settings (instructions).

Yeah I get all that. Just wish there was a more in the 'when possession has been won' menu. Like 'counter but if the defence is already set then hold shape and be more patient'.

It would also be useful to have some option to just have the full-backs high and wide so they can recycle the play (passing back to CD/REG) if an attack breaks down instead of crossing.

I just don't think it's that possible to properly nail a real-life tactic like this down in the game. Even this one which isn't the most flexible in the world (Zeman).

I've changed the passing to slightly shorter, with the wide players getting instructions to go more direct (because they are supposed to be the main pressers). See how that goes.

4 hours ago, Piperita said:

Have you actually seen the high amount of crosses play out or are you primarily coming from the stat-screen?

The game has a pretty liberal definition of what counts as cross. Many normal lateral passes count as such and all crosses and many free kicks. Your wingbacks essentially have the wings to themselves while the rest of the team runs centrally; naturally they have room on the flanks and have to pass back into the centre.

You could experiment with IWBs. They defend like normal wingbacks and when the centre is packed they still run wide but they play narrower up front. Alternatively, make your wingbacks take less risks and/or do shorter passes. That usually makes them reconsider doing long+high.

Hm, I didn't know that about the game's definition. Testing out tactics I'm usually simming through and checking stats/watching replays to see how the general play looks.

I did notice that in the analysis > players/teams tab there seems to be far fewer crosses. Thought it was just some bug. I guess maybe the team isn't crossing as much as I thought.

I did try IWBs but they were far too narrow. Maybe playing player who like to stay wide/hug the line as IWBs would be a bit more interesting

Add work ball into box? Make sure they do have passing options though on high mentalities the "safe" lateral pass might be less desirable.

Your going to the extremes of the settings, super urgent and vertical but then expect the WBs to be safer. Which leads me to wonder if your getting hung up on the labels of the settings? Maybe WB-D will reduce there risk taking and look for lateral passes more often?

Archived