Concentrate - When and How?

Winning 4 - 0 and I think of saying to the team;

"Guys, we're doing really well, just need to stay focused now and we have this one!"

So I click 'concentrate' and...

OVERWHELMED BY INSTRUCTION

I want to press this when we're winning and want us to not start mentally wandering but it almost always freaks out the team. So what am I mean't to actually say in this situation?

Or why doesn't concentrate seem to work?

Or when is it actually mean't to be used?

Thanks

p.s. generally I do think it's silly that peoples brains would be overwhelmed by a simple, shouted instruction. I can understand them not understanding it or thinking it's stupid but being overwhelmed seems weird.

I tend to use this instruction to an individual player who has messed up but it has not resulted in a goal being conceded or us missing a golden chance we needed etc.

If a player has screwed up and its led to something bad i usually encourage the player.

If a talented player is playing rubbish and the game needs his stamp on it, ill demand more from him.

I tend to encourage the whole team when the momentum is shifting in our favour in a game and to give everyone a lift to keep the momentum up.

Thats my usual usage of shouts

2 hours ago, avernoFM said:

I want to press this when we're winning and want us to not start mentally wandering but it almost always freaks out the team. So what am I mean't to actually say in this situation?

Were they in danger of losing concentration? What was the body language like?

If you're 4-0 up, why say anything at all?  They're doing pretty well without you.

But yes, "overwhelmed by instruction" does seem a tad over the top as a reaction.  You could always raise the issue in the Bugs forum and attach the match pkm as an example for SI to take a look at.

BTW, there is a basic guide to Touchline Shouts pinned to the top of the forum in the topic labelled "Please Read" which may be useful.

9 hours ago, herne79 said:

They're doing pretty well without you.

Don't say that, I will get fired.

Because I want clean sheets and they were 'looking disinterested' with 30 mins to go.

Finished 4-1. If only they had concentrated. Thanks SI. :P

3 hours ago, avernoFM said:

Because I want clean sheets and they were 'looking disinterested' with 30 mins to go.

I would have gone with Demand More in that situation. They lacked motivation as the game was won.

18 hours ago, avernoFM said:

p.s. generally I do think it's silly that peoples brains would be overwhelmed by a simple, shouted instruction. I can understand them not understanding it or thinking it's stupid but being overwhelmed seems weird.

Their minds were contemplating the mathematical impossibility of giving 110% effort. Of course this was accompanied with a Beautiful Mind style flash of formula and proofs while they were trying to play. You would have to be pretty impressive to not be overwhelmed in that situation.

I'm telling you, this match engine is robust. SI thought of everything.

I think it's just that some shouts pertain more to be addressed to individual players rather than the team as a whole.

Additionally, I'm going a bit on a limb here, but I'm not convinced that players need to show green reactions for a shout to be effective. Your team may not be thrilled when you yell at them to tighten up, but if they do tighten up then the shout did its job.

Archived