Players taking English second nationality

How common is this? I got the version of Brexit that means a max of 17 foreign players and with how overpriced English players are it's a bit of a struggle to stay under that quota. I'm sort of relying that a few of my foreign players will eventually take English as a second nationality but I was wondering what factors effect whether or not they will do this?

I have the same Brexit as you with the 17 foreign player limit. I am in 2032 and so far every one of my foreign players have taken English as second nationality as soon as it's been possible for them to do so. The only problem is you have to wait 5 years for that to happen :)

5 hours ago, Fritz13 said:

Does the players morale affect whether they take up English nationality?

I’ve never had the hard brexit in the game with the 17 non-UK limit.

The only foreign players at my club after 5 years are ones that are playing so they all have decent morale but for me no it doesn't seem to affect it. If they are eligible they take up the English second nationality in my experience with FM19. 

1 hour ago, borobadger said:

Sounds promising then. Finding it hard to get decent home grown players, they only seem to generate at the top 6 clubs who just want obscene money for them

Yeah it's very difficult to get top quality UK talent as a smaller club - the prices are ridiculous to buy them and so far I have had 1 regen spawn in my Coventry youth intakes that has premier league potential. I have the full 17 foreign players in my first team squad.

You can have some luck with the larger English clubs letting go of decent youngsters for free that they don't develop enough, so keep an eye on free transfers. 

1 hour ago, OTron said:

Yeah it's very difficult to get top quality UK talent as a smaller club - the prices are ridiculous to buy them and so far I have had 1 regen spawn in my Coventry youth intakes that has premier league potential. I have the full 17 foreign players in my first team squad.

You can have some luck with the larger English clubs letting go of decent youngsters for free that they don't develop enough, so keep an eye on free transfers. 

I've managed to get AFC Telford to a top 10 Prem side in the mid 2030s, at this stage I'm only really interested in top players which makes it much more difficult. Some of the foreign players I have are incredible but filling out the squad which British/Irish players is so difficult

9 minutes ago, borobadger said:

I've managed to get AFC Telford to a top 10 Prem side in the mid 2030s, at this stage I'm only really interested in top players which makes it much more difficult. Some of the foreign players I have are incredible but filling out the squad which British/Irish players is so difficult

Yeah totally agree. I am in 2032 with Coventry City and just achieved my highest Premier League finish of 5th - also won my first Cups this season a treble of Carabao Cup, FA Cup and EURO Cup. My team has the maximum foreigner limit of 17.

My English players are: I have had several of the foreign players long enough for them to take English second nationality, I have managed to poach a few good English players from Premier League clubs getting relegated to the Championship (Bournemouth, West Brom etc) and I have one youth academy graduate make the first team.

As you say the really top English/UK players are at the big Premier League clubs already and when I bid for them they want 150mil+ for each of them. I just can't afford it - especially when similarly talented or even superior foreign players can be had for relative peanuts.

3 hours ago, oafcmetty said:

Can you ask them to take it?

Not that I have seen. But as I said everyone of my players has taken it immediately upon becoming eligible so there is no need to ask them to do so.

• 6 months later...

I have slightly differently issue I want to stop players taking 2nd nationality, I am having a bit of fun and have edited the database so no team in the English prem can register foreign players, BUT for example at man united they have lots of players who have been here for enough years to take the 2nd nationality therefore be registered and kind of pissing all over my experiment, is their any way to stop foreign players from doing this???

Archived