i really want to play with a good old fashioned 442. big tall target man along side a poacher but im struggling to get it to work.  i used one in season one with man united and won the league and champs league but im just no t happy with how it plays. too many draws and when playing away it was just abysmal. my left winger ended up being top scorer with 21 which is great for him but i like my forwards to score the goals. in my head what would happen is the wingers would cross thee ball for the targetman to head on goal or knock down for the poacher but it didnt work that way. admittedly im tactically inept but im giving it a reboot for season 2. have purchased more out and out wingers along with a more suitable targetman.

im asking for help. so here is the rebooted tactic awaiting criticism along with the bucket load of praise which im sure is heading my way.

https://imgur.com/a/JPPNvA1

you will note that uptop i have actually gone for an AF and DLF role as the targetman and poacher roles didnt satisfy my needs. both too deep and not close enough. im hoping these two will be closer together

1st game using the system and you can see via the image that the two forwards are too far apart from one another as also confirmed by smokedsalmon. 

the lines are rather even which i like. not sure if that has anything to do with the clean sheet but it looks pretty. number 6 (pogba) came off injured but you can see that he is slightly higher than the other 3 players which i do like as i think it shows intent on his behalf. the gap between the AF and pogba (cant remember his role) is massive so i need these closer? i may do this with a role change for the AF. will try something different for game 2

https://imgur.com/a/KCh0l1U

3 minutes ago, the SLC said:

1st game using the system and you can see via the image that the two forwards are too far apart from one another as also confirmed by smokedsalmon. 

the lines are rather even which i like. not sure if that has anything to do with the clean sheet but it looks pretty. number 6 (pogba) came off injured but you can see that he is slightly higher than the other 3 players which i do like as i think it shows intent on his behalf. the gap between the AF and pogba (cant remember his role) is massive so i need these closer? i may do this with a role change for the AF. will try something different for game 2

https://imgur.com/a/KCh0l1U

is there 12 players on the pitch ?:P

looking at the average positions im thinking im sitting too deep to really cause the oppo any threat. for the next game im thinking a change in mentality may help. currently using balanced so will try positive. reluctant to go attacking as i always seem to lose or draw with that mentality. baby steps right??

i actually won a game convincingly still conceded that last minute goal mind. anyway i changed to positive but i didnt see much difference in positioning what i did see was more balls over the top for my poacher to run onto. it was ace to see!!! the link play between the two forwards was a little better. being honest i have no idea what im doing so i dont know if that is down to the change in mentality or the weakness of the opposition. will keep on with the positive mentality for now. 

in regards to positioning maybe a change in defensive line could do the trick as i thought playing weaker opposition they would naturally increase the line. 

https://imgur.com/a/kddYiSs

change in defensive line so now slightly higher. again i see no difference in the average positions so maybe it a mobile thing? not something that is on the map etc but something you can see in the match itself?  my target man was however more involved i think? he scored anyhow. i can see there is a big gap between the right sided mid and the right sided forward. could it be an idea to try and occupy that space too? i cant do it via a role change for the poacher as he will be too deep so a potential change in role for the rpm or am i being naive? i thought the rpm was a bit of a late runner going forward so of course he wont be close to the poacher via the average position map. maybe we need to see some more screens for assistance. which ones will help i wonder. do tell all you kind sirs/madams

https://imgur.com/a/IT663oL

There seems to be an awful lot of average position maps but not much in the way of actual in match shots.  What's actually happening on the pitch?  An AF/DLF combo can be perfectly fine, as can a Poacher/TM or many other striker combinations.  It all depends what you are trying to achieve, the players you have available, what your other player roles/tactical settings are and what's actually happening on the pitch.

3 hours ago, the SLC said:

i really want to play with a good old fashioned 442. big tall target man along side a poacher but im struggling to get it to work.  i used one in season one with man united and won the league and champs league but im just no t happy with how it plays. too many draws and when playing away it was just abysmal. my left winger ended up being top scorer with 21 which is great for him but i like my forwards to score the goals. in my head what would happen is the wingers would cross thee ball for the targetman to head on goal or knock down for the poacher but it didnt work that way. admittedly im tactically inept but im giving it a reboot for season 2. have purchased more out and out wingers along with a more suitable targetman.

im asking for help. so here is the rebooted tactic awaiting criticism along with the bucket load of praise which im sure is heading my way.

https://imgur.com/a/JPPNvA1

you will note that uptop i have actually gone for an AF and DLF role as the targetman and poacher roles didnt satisfy my needs. both too deep and not close enough. im hoping these two will be closer together

What particular type of a targetman-based 442 do you want to play? A simple hoofball? Or some kind of wing play? Or fast attacking game where the target man uses his physical dominance to "destroy" opposition defences? Because there are numerous ways to utilize a 442 system with a TM (though I'm not sure that Man Utd is the right team for such style of play, even with the mighty Lukaku)

4 hours ago, herne79 said:

There seems to be an awful lot of average position maps but not much in the way of actual in match shots.  What's actually happening on the pitch?  An AF/DLF combo can be perfectly fine, as can a Poacher/TM or many other striker combinations.  It all depends what you are trying to achieve, the players you have available, what your other player roles/tactical settings are and what's actually happening on the pitch.

yes i have started to realise that the ave position doesnt really count for much especially when it comes to movement hence why i asked for the help. im going to start looking at a few goals for and against and see what happens. 

my main aim is to win but i also what to see the partnership between the front two flourish. in my head the target man gets lots of assists and the poacher with the goals. 

2 hours ago, Experienced Defender said:

What particular type of a targetman-based 442 do you want to play? A simple hoofball? Or some kind of wing play? Or fast attacking game where the target man uses his physical dominance to "destroy" opposition defences? Because there are numerous ways to utilize a 442 system with a TM (though I'm not sure that Man Utd is the right team for such style of play, even with the mighty Lukaku)

im kind of hoping that the target man can be a bit of both. i went for the wide midfielder role thinking this would help with this due to their instructions. i am seeing a few balls over the top for the poacher but the target man does sometimes seem to not attract the ball at all. maybe due to it being a more static role so could possibly be easily marked out of the game. have purchased more suitable players for the style of play i want so hopfully will help me achieve that

well the 1st pass was recieved by number 6. a little interchange happened between 6,4 and 64 (who took the throwing) then on to fred (17) more interchaging between the already mentioned players then a pass to the targetman (16) who then sprays it long to number 21 who is completey unmarked. he whips in a cross and bam, goal!! scored by my left winger. bloody great. look at he distance between the 2 forwards(16 and 11) 

what to do???

Aston Villa v Man Utd_ Match Pitch-2.png

just had a look at the assists for my target men. i use 2 and combined they have a massive 3 assists in 20 appearances. not happy viewing and certainly frustrating. i need to think of a solution. maybe a role change?

getting a bit annoyed now as i have conceded another last minute goal. driving me mad. its either a 30yard screamer or the just dissect my defence with some fab football 

18 minutes ago, Experienced Defender said:

In FM19 a target man is not as much a ball-magnet as it used to be in previous versions (unless you make him such by using proper team and player instructions).

can you assist with those? im struggling big time

26 minutes ago, the SLC said:

6 hours ago, herne79 said:

It all depends what you are trying to achieve, the players you have available, what your other player roles/tactical settings are

You haven't told us any of that.  You need to post your complete tactical set up if you want some help.

i have played a few more games and its all been a bit ****. couple of 1-0 wins then a big defeat to huddersfield. 3-0 with all goals being absolute belters. 30 yard screamers. would be buzzing if i had scored them but i didnt and it really pissed me off.

so next game (v arsenal) out of frustration i lowered the defensive line along with other stuff (will screen shot) any way i won 5-0!!! with both forwards scoring. i kep it for the next game away at bournmouth and won 2-0 with only the poacher scoring this time. just played young boys in a must win game to qualify for next round. i won 7-0!!! my target man scored 2 and assisted 1 with some key headers in dangerous places my poacher also scored. 

not sure why it has made a differnce or if it has at all. could just be coincidence but i was great to see the target man get more involved

Man Utd v Young Boys_ Analysis Players.png

Man Utd v Young Boys_ Match Review.png

Manchester United_  Overview.png

9 minutes ago, herne79 said:

You haven't told us any of that.  You need to post your complete tactical set up if you want some help.

i thought i had my mistake. 

i want the target man to assist and the poacher to score. that is the basics of it. i did orignally want the crosses coming from the wings only but i couldnt get it right so i have decided to try multiple routes to goal but still wish the front two being the most productive as in goals and assists. so far i have failed miserably.  im starting to realise that its probably unrealsitic wanting the target man to be the main provider. the assist should come from the wings or mids and the front two to focus on scoring goals. the poacher seems to be a role i understand so im not too worried about that. how to get the target man more involved is next.  if i have a main goal scorer then shouldnt the 2nd striker be the one to make the space for him sacrificing his own goal tally?? im unsure about this. 

going back to the lowering of the d line etc. could this be drawing the opposition out leaving space behind for me to exploit?

this is formation and player roles. majority of players are selected but i do have some injuries like martial is my main poacher but rashford is covering for now

Manchester United_  Overview-2.png

1 hour ago, the SLC said:

going back to the lowering of the d line etc. could this be drawing the opposition out leaving space behind for me to exploit?

Of course. But like any other approach, it has its pros and cons. A low block (deeper DL/LOE) invites more pressure from the opposition, so your defense has more work to do, but on the other hand (as you noted) there is potentially more space for you to counter-attack (unless the opposition also plays deep and cautiously).

2 hours ago, the SLC said:

Can you post a screenshot of your target man's player profile (Ajer)?

15 hours ago, Experienced Defender said:

Of course. But like any other approach, it has its pros and cons. A low block (deeper DL/LOE) invites more pressure from the opposition, so your defense has more work to do, but on the other hand (as you noted) there is potentially more space for you to counter-attack (unless the opposition also plays deep and cautiously).

Can you post a screenshot of your target man's player profile (Ajer)?

yes i did notice that when i played a decent team. they just kept coming at me. it was a relentless barrage of good football. wonder what that solution could be? possibly a higher d line but then that could leave me vulnerable to throughballs. may increase the line of engagement but then that increases the distance between the lines which reduced the passing options i think im not sure

Kristoffer Ajer_ Overview Profile.png

i thought he had good stats for a target man but i could be wrong. his ppm shouldnt really take effect as he doesnt play in that relevant position. again unsure on this. i do have another one but i forgot to register him so he hasnt played at all. 

6 minutes ago, the SLC said:

yes i did notice that when i played a decent team. they just kept coming at me. it was a relentless barrage of good football. wonder what that solution could be? possibly a higher d line but then that could leave me vulnerable to throughballs. may increase the line of engagement but then that increases the distance between the lines which reduced the passing options i think im not sure

No, it does not reduce passing options. Passing options are primarily affected by the setup of roles and duties. However, the way you defend can (and does) have an effect on your attacks and transitions. So you can play with a low DL / high LOE combo, but you need to be cautious with pressing and tackling levels (in other words, don't be either too aggressive or too restrained, but rather keep it balanced). When I use this particular combination of lines, I usually go with normal (medium) pressing, tighter marking and stay on feet, but it also depends on the type and quality of my players, so please don't take it as a "set-in-stone" rule.

13 minutes ago, the SLC said:

Kristoffer Ajer_ Overview Profile.png

i thought he had good stats for a target man but i could be wrong. his ppm shouldnt really take effect as he doesnt play in that relevant position. again unsure on this. i do have another one but i forgot to register him so he hasnt played at all.

Well, in terms of attributes, this guy could play as a TM (in the absence of more suitable options). What worries me are his PPMs though. Lukaku would be ideal for the role, but I suppose you've sold him? 

i have just played 2 games back to back v chelsea 1 league and 1 cup game. i left the d line to at much lower, increased the line of engagement to very high as i believe this would mean that i would start pressing and putting pressure on the opponent whilst they are still in their own half. sounded like a good idea to me. early pressure which would hopefully mean i could force some errors. i won the 1st game 2-1. for thew cup game i changed the tm to an f9 for the simple reason that knap has a few tactics created that seem to use a lot of f9s so he must be on to something. thats what i was thinking anyway. the 2nd game was on the 1st of jan so it enabled me to register that other targetman mentioned din the previous post. anyway i won 5-1 with my newly registered f9 scoring 3 granted one was a penalty but i'll take it!! maybe knap is on to something with an f9. 

https://imgur.com/a/7qSdQvP

11 minutes ago, Experienced Defender said:

No, it does not reduce passing options. Passing options are primarily affected by the setup of roles and duties. However, the way you defend can (and does) have an effect on your attacks and transitions. So you can play with a low DL / high LOE combo, but you need to be cautious with pressing and tackling levels (in other words, don't be either too aggressive or too restrained, but rather keep it balanced). When I use this particular combination of lines, I usually go with normal (medium) pressing, tighter marking and stay on feet, but it also depends on the type and quality of my players, so please don't take it as a "set-in-stone" rule.

Well, in terms of attributes, this guy could play as a TM (in the absence of more suitable options). What worries me are his PPMs though. Lukaku would be ideal for the role, but I suppose you've sold him? 

yep hes gone. he was rubbish for me plus i wanted to find more suitable options. i did notice his ppms but i didnt think they would do much due to him not playing in the defensive positions. again i may be wrong

4 minutes ago, Experienced Defender said:

Lukaku rubbish ??? :stop: I don't play FM on this computer though, so I cannot immediately check out his FM19 attributes, but I remember him in FM18 - the guy was fantastic.

yes he was but i prefer martial and rashford as my poachers and i jjust thought i could find a better target man

It looks a bit forced at the moment, your 442 that is.

I can't see anyone in your squad that can really play left midfield, it's not much better on the right, and you don't have a target man.  It might be better to adapt to a 433 or 4231 until you have addressed those gaps in the squad.  As you've noted a target man probably needs to be holding up long balls from the back and waiting for support or the focal point of a good crossing side.  Doesn't look as though you have the personnel or instructions to pull off that game.  Also not too sure that plan and those roles go with expressiveness and I'd be concerned that there is no holding role in that midfield.  Its looks as though you are 2nd in the league which is good but be careful as I think this could come unstuck.

21 hours ago, Robson 07 said:

It looks a bit forced at the moment, your 442 that is.

I can't see anyone in your squad that can really play left midfield, it's not much better on the right, and you don't have a target man.  It might be better to adapt to a 433 or 4231 until you have addressed those gaps in the squad.  As you've noted a target man probably needs to be holding up long balls from the back and waiting for support or the focal point of a good crossing side.  Doesn't look as though you have the personnel or instructions to pull off that game.  Also not too sure that plan and those roles go with expressiveness and I'd be concerned that there is no holding role in that midfield.  Its looks as though you are 2nd in the league which is good but be careful as I think this could come unstuck.

i disagree that i have no left sided wingers. tierney fits the bill as does pereria. i also have cengiz under who is more than capable in the role. admittedly the right side is a little weak but negro has done a stellar job.  as for target men  milan djuric has decent attributes and ppms.

had a little tinker with roles and gone for these for now. will prob change again once seeing how it plays out.

Manchester United_  Overview-3.png

I fear that making big tactical changes - and making them too often at that - can hardly be helpful, as your players will never get to adapt to a system (tactical style). In one of your earlier posts you said you finally managed both to get good results and get your TM to perform as you wanted him to. So why didn't you stick to that tactic when it worked well?

right ive decided to start again. new game this time i will aim to buy players suitable from the 1st season instead of waiting till season 2 or onwards.  a few differnt thoughts but the goal is the same poacher and target man score and assist. 

went for vertical tiki taka as i tried to create my own but i dont understand alot of the team instructions neither do i know enough about tactics. so i went for the preset of vertical tiki taka. it sounded like the kind of football i wanted to play so. i did make a few changes and altered the wing backs to that of IWBs as i wanted to them to come in central and help out when the the 2 cms moved forward. whether it works i dont know but lets give it a go. 

the players you see will be my 1st choice 

Manchester United_  Overview-3.png

1st game v newcastle which i won.  statiscally i played really well. high possesion. plenty of shots restricted their shots however my forwards only managed 3 shots between them and only 1 on target. something to worry about or just the 1st game. will follow cleons advice and play 3 games without making any changes. 

https://imgur.com/a/vMCselv

a high amount of passes in the correct half can only be a good thing. however only 1 chance created and only 8 key passes.

3rd game v arsenal. 1-1 draw. was a tough game. we scored via a set piece as we spent most of the game in our own half. better opposition really tested the tactic which didnt do too bad defensively. the goal i conceded was one of those annoying ones where my defender has the ball at his his feet then suddenly stops running giving the ball away to the forward to score and easy goal. the starts are not great viewing only 300+ passes mainly by my own penalty area. 

https://imgur.com/a/wwBGX9r

right game 4 v brighton. a 4-0 win with targetman and poacher getting 2 each which was good. the tactic seems to be fairly dominant aginst weaker teams especially at home with only 1 game versus a tougher or equal team i think its still two early to make changes so i shall just play on for a while until i see anything to worry about

17 hours ago, FMunderachiever said:

I feel youre trying to force a 442 onto a squad here where there are more suitable formations and styles available. Just my opinion

can you go into more depth about how im forcing it. i thought the squad was more than capable to play a 442. weak on the wings i get thats why i bought two wingers. 

would only help me tactically if you could maybe give me more of your reasoning.

a few more games and a few more wins. using this style of play really does take it out of the players. im starting to see that it doesnt really penetrate as much as i would have hoped. its a bit one dimensional. targetman is invisible in the majority of games. wingers are also a bit one dimensional. when it works it does look good but i think i preferred my other 442 was much better on the eye but less effective. if i can blend the two then i think i may have a decent tactic. 

i will stick with vertical tika taka but i may change the wingers role at least on one side and see what happens also going to get rid of the targetman role as i dont like it in this system

this is now the formation. slightly skewed but it should increase my scoring chances  albeit by possibly affecting one of the forwards. a sacrifice im willing to make. played 1 game with it. a home game against spurs which i won 4-0

Manchester United_  Overview-4.png

5 hours ago, the SLC said:

this is now the formation

Might be worth moving the DLF (s) into that central STC spot. It will give that IF (a) a bit more room to work and pull the opposing CD on that side central to leave the IF (a) isolated on the wide defender. I don't see anybody else really working that space between the STCs, so you shouldn't lose anything. The BBM does work that space some, but not as much as the IF (a), and the BBM should adjust to the space on the right well.

i have slightly altered the formation again. i have moved the left sided winger up too a inside forward on support as i want him to look for the CF more than the goal. i changed the poacher role as i felt he wasnt getting involved as much as he should be. i must remind you all that this is a learning curve for me so i will be getting plenty of stuff wrong but writing some info down is helping me understand the game a bit more. as you can see above i have used some stat screens to aid my learning but i dont feel like im ultilising  this option very well so if someone could recommend some analysis screens that could improve my knowledge that would be great.

Manchester United_  Overview-5.png

right i have gone back tot he drawing board again still the same save but a new 442. 

i have read a post from cleon that got me thinking  what makes a goalscorer (i also took some inspiration from his Paysandu thread) 

i realised that my 442 pass to the wingers to cross was far too 1 dimensional. all to often the defenders would deal with the threat. once that happened i had no other options and would either lose miserably or just be a **** game. 

so after readig the thread who wanst to make a goalscorer (a must read for anyone) i came up with this which i will try to explain my reasons behind the choices

https://imgur.com/a/rBTtsJx

you will that i have opted for the vertical tiki taka presets with a little customization. i do change this to a gengenpress depending on opposition.  

GK- bog standard keeper no messing here. 

CB- opted for NCBs as i like the nostalgia of vidic and stam. possibly change one to a BPD as i do have the players for it.

HB- fed up of conceding goals so have chosen a HB to turn it to a 3 man defence, time will tell if it works.

LB- CWB to push on forward and to provide natural width. should be left with plenty of space to attack due to the use of an Inside forward.

RB- IWB to provide numbers in the central areas due to only 1 midfielder. Im thinking with the HB stepping back it should push the defence apart so not too worried about the space or gap left by the marauding IWB. 

CM- a simple CM being chosen as i think he should link up with the forwards quite nicely. i could change to an AP if not working how i envisioned or even a RPM. time will tell.

AMR- a simple winger again to provide width and a supply of balls to the fowards. 

FWDs- opted for a poacher and AF unsure if this will work but i want to give it a try. if not i can change the role of one of them to maybe a DLF to maybe drop a bit deeper. 

1st game home v man city. 

wish me luck!!

it finished 6-1. i did conced the obligutary long shot and we suffered an absolute barrage of attacks in the second half so i changed statergy to that of verical tiki taka to try and slow the game down and increase possession which did work. the shots on target stat doesnt look great compared to the first half but its still 50%. would like to increase this in future games. 

the pairing of the front two was ace. as you can see martial had 7 key passes with 3 chances created also assisted for lukakus goal with 2 assists over all. how ever i was a little surprised by this as he played the poacher role. 

https://imgur.com/a/3lPqjis

bit early to tell if this system will work for long haul and maybe better suited players but a 6-1 mauling of man city in the 1st game is certainly a start!

i have to say that i think my new favourite player has to be Andreas Pereira  

2nd game v brighton at home.

this is what frustrates me we won 2-1 from two pogba freekicks. 31 shots at goal only 11 on target my front two with a combined 9 shots between them and zero on target. this is what i need to learn. how to score on a regular basis.  on to the next game

home v watford. i scored 8 they scored 4. 4 magnificent goals on the counter. 

after the disappointment against brighton. i decided to change the poacher to an f9 to help create some space for the AF.  lukaku as the f9 got two assists a goal with 3 key passes. not a bad return but the 4 goals is a concern do i lower the dline? 

https://imgur.com/a/oGSSHe3

since and including the 6-1 thrashing of city i have played 6 games using this tactic winning all 6 and scoring 23 but conceding 7. i think my strikers have improved dramatically during this time or at least their stats have

overall shots =139

shots on target= 66

overall percentage=  47%

forwards shots= 49

forwards shot on target 22= 44%

forwards shots compared to team shots = 35%

having written these figures down its showing me that there is a lot more improvement to still be made. i need to figure out the solution. to many shots of target could be an indication of snap shots ie no other options available as i dont think its down to quality of players. i could also be rushing things so potentially slow things down and hopefully increase shot quality.

Archived