AFC Wimbledon fan knowledge?

Can anyone tell me, Are Wimbledon supporters middle class? i really fancy a save with them but i can't find out alot about the area and supporters, some google searches say it is really affluent and some not so much, obviously the story is amazing but i have a niggling feeling it is a bunch of well to do people taking on a quaint  little project and patting themselves on the back, 

I need to be managing an underdog not just in club but in the people also and if they are drinking latte's instead of pints then i can't be having that

• SI Staff
4 hours ago, Bilbaoboy said:

Can anyone tell me, Are Wimbledon supporters middle class? i really fancy a save with them but i can't find out alot about the area and supporters, some google searches say it is really affluent and some not so much, obviously the story is amazing but i have a niggling feeling it is a bunch of well to do people taking on a quaint  little project and patting themselves on the back, 

I need to be managing an underdog not just in club but in the people also and if they are drinking latte's instead of pints then i can't be having that

Hi @Bilbaoboy.

I would say that Wimbledon have quite a middle class fanbase, who are fairly affluent for the size of the club.

The size of the club is obviously very small in comparison to others in England though, and especially in League One they are one of the underdogs due to their rapid rise through the leagues (5 promotions in the first 9 seasons).
But because it is supporter owned and run by the fans there are lots of people who volunteer their time for free, and who donate all they can financially towards the club. This doesn't necessarily make them affluent though.

Wimbledon as a town is very average. However, there are areas of Wimbledon which are much richer, for example where the tennis tournament is hosted. Lots of places in London have this same balance of richer and poorer areas.
Where Wimbledon are currently building a new stadium - on Plough Lane, right near the site of Wimbledon FC's old ground that is now demolished - it is a more working class part of the town with lots of industrial areas.

So I would say that most of the fans are middle class or working class and it is a very friendly and welcoming football club.
In the current stadium we have 3 bars and nowhere that makes lattes if that helps you make your decision! 

1 hour ago, Ed Hewison said:

Hi @Bilbaoboy.

I would say that Wimbledon have quite a middle class fanbase, who are fairly affluent for the size of the club.

The size of the club is obviously very small in comparison to others in England though, and especially in League One they are one of the underdogs due to their rapid rise through the leagues (5 promotions in the first 9 seasons).
But because it is supporter owned and run by the fans there are lots of people who volunteer their time for free, and who donate all they can financially towards the club. This doesn't necessarily make them affluent though.

Wimbledon as a town is very average. However, there are areas of Wimbledon which are much richer, for example where the tennis tournament is hosted. Lots of places in London have this same balance of richer and poorer areas.
Where Wimbledon are currently building a new stadium - on Plough Lane, right near the site of Wimbledon FC's old ground that is now demolished - it is a more working class part of the town with lots of industrial areas.

So I would say that most of the fans are middle class or working class and it is a very friendly and welcoming football club.
In the current stadium we have 3 bars and nowhere that makes lattes if that helps you make your decision! 

Do they still have the ban on players and supporters swearing ? If so: definitely middle class!

5 hours ago, Ed Hewison said:

Hi @Bilbaoboy.

Thank you very much for the response i think that is enough for me to make an exception, to be honest i probably would choose them anyway as i love that Home shirt, and one thing i have noticed on fm is that any player they have had on loan lists Wimbledon as a favourite club so makes me think they must have something about them, as long their they aren't Fulham posh i can live with that

• SI Staff
On 29/04/2019 at 17:17, White Flag said:

Do they still have the ban on players and supporters swearing ? If so: definitely middle class!

Ha. Yes they do, although that doesn't stop people from still swearing when we are playing badly!

On 01/05/2019 at 16:27, Ed Hewison said:

Ha. Yes they do, although that doesn't stop people from still swearing when we are playing badly!

Are there any decent pics of the new stadium? The only ones on google images are what looks like CGI

• SI Staff
On 05/05/2019 at 19:13, Bilbaoboy said:

Are there any decent pics of the new stadium? The only ones on google images are what looks like CGI

At the moment it is just a building site. 

Here are the latest set of photos - https://www.afcwimbledon.co.uk/news/2019/april/new-stadium-update2

The new stadium should be finished around July 2020.

On 29/04/2019 at 17:17, White Flag said:

The football league has rules to this affect and the clubs have to take complaints seriously. 

Archived