dafuge's FM09 challenge

And have you tried a 4-1-2-1-2 Nep?

Yea I tried that, and actually had the most success with it. The only problem was, the AMC would rarely get above a 5.2 - despite doing everything almost perfectly. It didn't allow me to create many chances either, the tactic, and when I lost, I REALLY lost.

• Replies 19.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yea I tried that, and actually had the most success with it. The only problem was, the AMC would rarely get above a 5.2 - despite doing everything almost perfectly. It didn't allow me to create many chances either, the tactic, and when I lost, I REALLY lost.

Have you read Cleons thread it's fairly new?

Yeah, I think there's a bug with the AMC ratings. But overall, I've done very well, and it's not much of a concern, as I'm still winning my games.

What are your team instructions for that tactic?

Yeah, I think there's a bug with the AMC ratings. But overall, I've done very well, and it's not much of a concern, as I'm still winning my games.

I'm pretty sure there is a bug. I stopped using AMC because of it.

Have you read Cleons thread it's fairly new?

Yah.

I've got a different tactic now, and cant remember the set up :(

Nep, I know you said you didn't like it earlier but have you tried direct passing?

Yea, it really caused issues in my team. My defense started making 30-50 passes a game, my GK around 40-60 a game, my Midfield / Attack around 8-18 a game. My midfield should really be controlling the game, and passing the ball a lot.

I have my GK, DC and MCd on short passing. All the rest are on Direct. I play fast tempo have high width and high defensive line. I use a rule of two mentality and pretty low closing down.

I play with 2 attacking FB's, 2 DC's, a MCd and MCa, a FCd and FCa. I find if i have a good finisher as FCa and a good creative striker at FCd I score more goals than normal.

Yea, it really caused issues in my team. My defense started making 30-50 passes a game, my GK around 40-60 a game, my Midfield / Attack around 8-18 a game. My midfield should really be controlling the game, and passing the ball a lot.

As a last resort you could download a tactic and see if it makes your team play better. At least then you would know whether it was your tactics or your players which were holding you back?

Season 2031/32 Review - Hendon in the Premier League

League Table | Past Positions | FA Cup Final | CL Final

I have a bad feeling that we're starting to struggle more and more to retain the Premiership every season. This year it was like this, the year before like this and the year before that like this. In the end, the other teams fell apart toward the end of this season and allowed us to run off with a pretty comfortable margin, but I do feel like we're going in the wrong direction here... Very pleased to once again have won back the Champions League title, this time from Sevilla who I really didn't feel we deserved to lose to last year.

Squad | Transfers

Just a few key signings; the rest I've got covered. Well, actually, we still need better fullbacks, but I'll give my youth prospects a couple more seasons to hopefully grow into their roles. Mike Lawson and Joe Street were phenomenal up front and Barnard proved a useful backup when I had four strikers out injured back in January. Street went on to win all sorts of awards as well as earning his first international call-up.

Brazil

Copa América Group Stage | Knockout Rounds

My first international trophy! Very tight games throughout as my way too old squad had to fight through most fixtures on relatively low condition. Rock-solid defending proved fruitful; we only let a single goal in, and that was a penalty off one of the posts.

France

I had started to like my Brazil squad, but with only World Cup qualifyers in sight for the next two years, the French FA's offer to have me manage France in the EC was just a lot more attractive. All I had to do was beat Belarus in the playoff to qualify, and while it took two 0-0 games and a penalty shootout to do it, we did it. Group B shouldn't be hard enough to stop us from going through, but I really need to teach this bunch to find the net first; we've managed to score a mere 1 goal in my 4 games in charge.

Aim for next season: Stay successful with Hendon, preferably get a new stadium as they won't expand Hendon Stadium any further. Do well in the EC with France.

Boston United - End of Season 4 (2012/2013) - Coca Cola League 2

Coca Cola League 2 Prediction - 24th

Coca Cola League 2 Position - 3rd, 23 wins, 10 draws, 13 losses, +23 GD, 79 points

F.A Cup - Lost 1st Round (v L1 Colchester)

League Cup - Lost 1st Round (v L1 Sheffield Wednesday)

Johnstone's Paint Trophy - Lost in N 1st Round (v L1 Sheffield Wednesday)

League Summary - Unlike a lot of previous seasons, the team started out hot this year and never looked back. They had a tough time against the top 5 or so teams splitting points which was a large reason I finished 3rd rather than 1st, but took care of business against the teams that I should. All this with one of the lowest wage budgets in the division with only about 11k per week allowed and only a 14k transfer budget.

Cup Summary - There wasn't much to talk about in cup play. I got knocked out by Colchester for the 2nd straight year in the FA Cup. Meanwhile, I got drawn against Sheff Wed in both the Johnstone's Paint Trophy and League Cup in the first rounds and got knocked out of both by them.

Other Info.

Affiliated Clubs (Parent Club, Hull City - Feeder Club, Boston Town, Wisbech)

Finances (£146,000 season loss, mainly due to squad bonus payout)

Staff (Allowed 5 coaches.)

Players of the Season.

Yann Ekra, ST (47 apps, 28 Goals, 7.09 rating, 10 MOM) - Came on loan to me for a second straight season and once again was a goal machine. Led the team in goals, assists, and man of the matches. Added benefit is at the end of the season, Hull were willing to sell Ekra to me for 10k, and I snapped him up, so he's mine now. He's 22 now, but is a nice pacey striker.

Samuel Delahaye, ST (42 apps, 19 Goals, 7.02, 6 MOM) - This is a player my scout found in France. He's a good compliment to Ekra since he's more the strong forward type who will push his way toward the goal.

Oguzhan Ozyakup, M RC (47, 0 goals, 7.02, 8 MOM) - This is a Dutch midfielder that was signed off the free from Arsenal. No goals, but had 9 assists in the season and was an anchor on the right wing. He also filled in in central mid occasionally when injuries or suspensions necessated it.

Andrew Cave-Brown, D LRC (32, 0 goals, 7.03) - Andrew is a player that I signed part ways through the season that my scout found in Scotland. He's 24 years old and is a pretty good defender who was pretty rock solid for me. I trained him to pick up left back position as well as I am kind of weak there when Dani Molina another new signing found in Spain was injured, which he was quite a bit. Cave-Brown became my regular left defender by the end of the season with Under 21 Irish international Harry Fitzgerald and English youngster Joshua Millwood in central defense and Danny Holmes returning at right back.

Boston Utd Awards.

Coca Cola League 2 Manager of the Month (1) - August

Coca Cola League 2 Player of the Month (0) - None

Coca Cola League 2 Young Player of the Month (0) -

Yann Ekra was by far the leading scorer in the Blue Square Premier with 35 league goals. Next closest had 28 goals.

Fans Player of the Year - Samuel Delahaye, ST

Overall Best Eleven

New Inductees:

Oguzhan Ozyakup, M RC

Andrew Cave-Brown, Peter Darby, Samuel Delahaye, Joshua Millwood, Enrique Ramos also joined my Overall Best Eleven.

Game Summary

Season 1, Blue Square North - 2nd Place, 22 wins, 10 draws, 10 losses, +17 GD, 76 points

Season 2, Blue Square North - 4th Place, 17 wins, 14 draws, 11 losses, +13 GD, 65 points, Promoted

Season 3, Blue Square Premier - 2nd Place, 25 wins, 11 draws, 10 losses, +30 GD, 86 points, Promoted

Season 4, Coca Cola League 2 - 3rd Place, 23 wins, 10 draws, 13 losses, +23 GD, 79 points, Promoted

Start of Next Season Youth Infusion

No one really interesting here this season unfortunately. The highest is rated by my coaches as having Blue Square Premier potential. I really need to get my youth facilities upgraded as they're still minimal. I need a bank balance first though as I've only got 16k in the bank since I've been running on a tight profit margin since my attendance only averaged 3162 last year.

Next Season Budgets

I get no transfer budget going into the new season which sucks. However, thankfully I spent my remaining amount end of last season arranging for the purchase of Yann Ekra. I do get a wage budget of 23k per week this year, which is almost double last season, but still pretty low for League 1 I believe. Gives me about 10k per week of wiggle room to add to the squad, however, I'll have a bit extra when contracts expire from last season. Got some dead wood on my reserve team.

Hull also plan to send Alan Hook to my team again. He previously was with my team in the 2010/11 season when I was in the Blue Square North posting a 7.16 rating in 14 appearances late in the season that solidified my defense. He's now 19 years old. Not sure how much he can help me now, but he seems like he could at least provide me some free defensive cover.

Other Notables

Leeds is back in the Premiership

Liverpool was docked 9 points last season for going into administration, but still finished 3rd.

Arsenal wins the Premiership.

Ipswich, Hull (Parent Club), Wigan are relegated from premiership.

Watford, Cardiff, Wolves are promoted to premiership.

Nep try Mattbuck's tactics over in the TTF forum. They are the main ones I am using to some sucess, and come with a reasonably simple instruction guide that I really don't use to the full, to get the most out of the tactics.

Have a feeling they only reason I have started my current season badly is due to my good strikers all being injured, my top MR being out for 5 months and my defenders not actually having any Prem standard backup due to not being able to afford £10M plus per defender!

Dont you just love it when the second game of the season FM crashes and when you load up you are back before pre-season...... so have to make offers on the players you bought before the crash, but now they only want double of what you paid before chrashing..........................

Ridleys - Hendon - Coca Cola League 2 - 2015/16 (Season 7)

Media Prediction: 11th

My Prediction: 5th

After such a surprising season last year, reaching the playoffs, I knew it would be tough to live up to that this season. We started off in usual fashion - playing awfully in the first 5 or 6 games of the season before we got settled down. The first game was a real shocker. We were up against recently promoted York City and I was expecting a comfortable victory, they beat us 7-1 :o. It was not a very good start to a season where I expected us to be up in the playoffs again. Things started to pick up and after the 13th game we were in a playoff place and that is where I thought we would stay - I was wrong. One of our strengths over the last few seasons has been our consistency, especially in the middle of the season, but this season was different. We won just 2 of our next 20 games, which is pretty pathetic really and we picked up only 15 points from the 60 available! We were down in 18th position and things looked pretty bad. Luckily our form picked up towards the end of the season - losing just 2 of our last 14 games and winning 8 of them picking up 28 points and moving us up to a final position of 11th.

Despite our poor performance in the League we did well in 2 of the 3 cups we were entered in. We managed to reach the 3rd round of the FA Cup and were drawn against Newcastle away from home which brought in almost half a million pounds to the club which gave the finances a massive boost. We reached the Semi Final of the Johnstone's Paint Trophy and after drawing 0-0 with Rushden it was down to the dreaded penalty shootout. Now, usually we are pretty good at penalty shootouts so I thought that we would win it, but we lost - 6-5. Finances are still going down and unless I can do something about it very soon, I think we will be in the red at the end of next season. Even with the money gained from the FA Cup tie against Newcastle we still only managed to make a profit of £50k and without the money from the Newcastle game we would be almost £400k in debt. I was given a higher wage budget this season - £19.53k but I still managed to go over it by £2k as my board still wouldn't allow me to release players.

Final Position: 11th

Top Goalscorer: Lyndon Hook

Player of the Season: Gary Kelly

League Table

League Positions Graph

Transfers

Finances

Squad

Season Best Eleven | Overall Best Eleven

Manager Overview

Next Season:

• Keep the finances under control
  • Reach the playoffs

Career so far:

League                  Season          Finished        Achievements
Blue Square Premier     2012/13         16th            Won FA Trophy
Blue Square Premier     2013/14         2nd             Promotion via playoffs, Won FA Trophy, Won Conference League Cup
Coca Cola League 2      2014/15         5th             Lost in Playoff Semi-Final
Coca Cola League 2      2015/16         11th            

Given I am sick of my allegedly good strikers not wanting to score this season, I just randomly decided to actually a player who came from my youth setup who has been bench warming start a match, and give him his debut and he scores 2 and we win 2-0. Gotta love it when a potentially dodgy selection pays off.

McGeough

Just got the description "Wonderkid" .. Hes the second one from my own rank to get that.. and funny thing is he is from the same batch of youngsters as Cooper was!

Is it just me, or are there far to many wonderkids ??

I think theres more wonderkids, but its not a guarantee they will be as good as it used to be. Also the quality of opposition players is higher.

bloody computer crashed last night, couldn't fix so lost saved game and i was enjoying challenge of playing as fc united in the premier league.

just finished reinstalling windows and everything so holidaying now will post new profile pic in abit.

Just moved into January, and got the regular "Player x' Contract is due to expire" - for 22 of my main squad - Usually this wouldn't bother me, as I'd just offer them new deals, and only a few would move on. This time, however, 16 of them wont sign a new deal, and of the 8 others, only 2 of them are asking for wages within my wage restrictions. If, come the end of the season they all leave, this club will self destruct.

I'm just never in a position to do it that early. If I offer them an extension with 2 years left, they still want more wages from the instant they sign the contract, not when the extension comes into place (which is what happens IRL ) . I'd rather keep them on the same wages for 2 more years and risk losing them that bloating my wages budget for unnecessary reasons.

Youth Player 7 (A prem standard DC ) - and another Championship Standard player have just had contracts offered to them :(

That screws me two fold. Firstly, they will be leaving the club, and secondly, they wont be leaving until 1st June, meaning I cant free up wages by selling them :(

There goes another DC at the end of the season. I really don't want to restart, because I'm so far into the game, but the following things could potentially happen :

- We go into administration and get deducted points.

- We get relegated, getting me the sack.

- We get relegated, I don't get the sack, but we get relegated again, back down to BSP level.

The club is in trouble. I don't know if I can help it. :(

My hard drive crashed and I had to get a new one and install Vista on it. I could potentially use Linux to get my Canvey save back off the damaged HDD but to be honest that save was getting a bit stale, so I think I'll start again.

I lose club legends Andy Downes and Bill Farrell but such is life.

I just lost the Conference League Cup in my first season of AFC Hornchurch Manager (09/10 BSS).

We drew Wrexham in the final who are 1st in the BSP and dominated the whole game (I had 6 CCCs they had 1 CCC) and we ended up finishing 0-0 and I lost 5-4 after in the penalty shootout about 7 penos each

Gutted!

How are you doing this season?

Currently sat 16th. only 10 points from the play-offs, but only 6 from relegation zone.

Last season, my team had a certain feel about it. I was playing well, and doing good. This season, its practically the same team, and we just string a set of results together. I'm at my wits end. I'll play this season out to see what happens to my players, and the club, but I honestly can't see this game going the distance.

Currently sat 16th. only 10 points from the play-offs, but only 6 from relegation zone.

Last season, my team had a certain feel about it. I was playing well, and doing good. This season, its practically the same team, and we just string a set of results together. I'm at my wits end. I'll play this season out to see what happens to my players, and the club, but I honestly can't see this game going the distance.

Thats a real shame. Next season will be the tough one if your players leave.

I'm literally looking at 3 of my first team squad staying. I wont have the wage budget to sign many new players either. If I get promoted this season (highly unlikey) - it will be the worst thing that could happen to the club. I actually think Relegation would be the best option, to consolidate the club, and improve finances.

I'm literally looking at 3 of my first team squad staying. I wont have the wage budget to sign many new players either. If I get promoted this season (highly unlikey) - it will be the worst thing that could happen to the club. I actually think Relegation would be the best option, to consolidate the club, and improve finances.

How come the finances are so bad? Poor board maybe, any indication they want to leave?

I'm already onto my 3rd Chairman. Each time they are promoted from within the club.

Finances are bad because I have an 8,000 capacity stadium, but only 240 seats. Which means my attendances have never really gone more than 1,500 per game. This with my wages, has just crippled me. I'm in my 12th season, and have never spent a single penny on a player. How sad is that..!! The only season I actually made profit was my final year in the BSP - while still semi-pro.

The Chairman "Loves the club" - Has already taken out £1.1 million in loans, and has injected nearly £1.5 million in cash, but the club is STILL £2million in the red. I lose roughly £200,000 per month. Its just a vicious circle. I need money to buy players to attract fans. But to get money, I need fans.

I need a big loan, a rich chairman, or a new job to get out of this mess :D

I'm already onto my 3rd Chairman. Each time they are promoted from within the club.

Finances are bad because I have an 8,000 capacity stadium, but only 240 seats. Which means my attendances have never really gone more than 1,500 per game. This with my wages, has just crippled me. I'm in my 12th season, and have never spent a single penny on a player. How sad is that..!! The only season I actually made profit was my final year in the BSP - while still semi-pro.

The Chairman "Loves the club" - Has already taken out £1.1 million in loans, and has injected nearly £1.5 million in cash, but the club is STILL £2million in the red. I lose roughly £200,000 per month. Its just a vicious circle. I need money to buy players to attract fans. But to get money, I need fans.

I need a big loan, a rich chairman, or a new job to get out of this mess :D

Or a nice juicy away tie in the FA Cup. That alone transformed my finances for a season anytime it happened. :)

Right guys, I'm in a bit of a pickle here, and I could use a little help.

My league form is pretty good when taken as a a whole; sitting just outside the playoffs with 46 points from 29 games.

My home form is fantastic, with 12 wins and 2 draws from the 15 games I've played.

My away form, however, is truly pants. 1 win, 5 draws and 8 losses are not undeserved stats - we've played terribly on the road.

Are there any suggestions as to how I can rectify this?

Chelseadaft 2019/2020 Staines Town League Two - Lost playoff final on Pens 10-9!

Hi all

So near so far, Still struggling with the finances. So players are being offloaded one way or the other so as a result my squad is suffering.

REMEMBER FOR FUTURE.....DO NOT SELL YOUR PLAYERS IF YOU DON'T HAVE TO AND THEY ARE GOOD ENOUGH FOR THE LEAGUE YOU ARE IN ALREADY!... sorry but i have to put that down in Caps to remind me and to give anyone else that will read this a hint for the lower leagues.

I managed to bring in some quality loans and some replacement players this season but nowhere near the standard i already had and to be honest they have done well. I managed to get into the play off places towards the end of the season and managed to stay there when it mattered.

Won the play off semi's by the odd goal in extra time and went to the final,. Could i do it, for the sake of my finances it was good for the extra revenue from the game to cut my debt, also the possibility of bouncing straight back up after being relegated would be fantastic given all the problems i am having.

But, it wasnt to be, after 120 mins it was 3-3 and believe it or not it went to a penalty shoot out where somehow it ended up 10-9!

Time to sell of the big names yet again and rebuild for next season. Screenies below:

Squad

Table

Finances

Transfers

PO Final

Season          League                   Position                 Achievements
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2009/10         Blue Square South         17th                    None
2010/11         Blue Square South          3rd                    Lost PO Semi (Pens)
2011/12         Blue Square South          1st                    Champions
2012/13         Blue Square Premier        6th                    FA Trophy Winners
2013/14         Blue Square Premier        2nd                    Lost in Playoff Semi
2014/15         Blue Square Premier        1st                    Champions & FA Trophy Winners
2015/16         Coca Cola League 2         2nd                    Promoted.
2016/17         Coca Cola League 1         3rd                    Lost playoff semi finals
2017/18         Coca Cola League 1         8th                    Lost JPT final
2018/19         Coca Cola League 1         22nd                   Relegated
2019/20         Coca Cola League 2         4th                    Lost PO Final (Pens 10-9!!)

Archived