(Discussion) Better Youth System

seabas3

I would like to see more internal promotion of your youth coming through. I know that there is the ability to promote 'youth staff' and so on through investments. Maybe actually seeing the staff, hiring and firing them would be cool. They can have their own attributes and so on. Obviously, I believe by law we cannot add players under a certain age, and I am not sure we can do it via regens either. However, getting reports from your youth staff stating that a player coming through in maybe the next year or two looks like he is going to be really good would be a neat thing to add.

In terms of real life, there is a lot of scouting, videos and reports on young talents under the age of 16. So with the above stated, maybe we can get news articles and have proper youth scouts which will give reports of maybe finding a talent somewhere and he may be promoted within the next year or two. Maybe an actual name can be given in the reports so it builds anticipation.

Another suggestion is to revamp the newgen system. I do like the concept of a 'regen day' however I feel that more movement and realism can be added to youth players coming in and out of the youth system at a club. I do not feel that finding players should be down to one day, but rather maybe a monthly occurrence of players who the youth staff and U18 staff feel are ready to be promoted.

I made this post two years ago, I will post it below.

Okay, I know that due to child protection laws and all that jazz that you are not allowed to incorporate the young academy children into the game and have 12 -14 year old's in the game. Yet what about the youth coaches, staff, facilities and etc... 

So rather than just having a board meeting on improving the youth facilities and going on from there, how about actually hiring and firing youth staff below the U18 markers. Youth development staff can be upgraded below this level to improve the quality of youngsters coming in on regen days. Also you are able to upgrade the academy facilities below the U18 levels as if you were to upgrade your own facilities in the game. Also I think it would be cool if you sent scouts to see the "regens" below the U18's level but not necessarily get a report as you do in the game but rather a vague summary like; "There seems to be some good talent coming through" or "There is no significant promise." something of that sort. 

Now coming with the youth facilities and so on, I would love that to be up-gradable. Then this led me to expand on upgrading the facilities...how about we get more in-depth with the ability on upgrading and expanding the facilities. So you can upgrade and develop not only just the facility but specific aspects; like certain equipment or treatment facilities, also the quality of pitches and so on rather then just making it a collective whole. This applies to all facilities whether its training facilities or youth facilities or as mentioned above the academy's. This can also be applied to the youth stadiums.

So using Kirby Academy as example, you are able to also invest in those stadiums for your youngsters and maybe have a say on trying to invite your fans to go watch the youth players and gain money through them as well...mainly applied to the bigger teams in a save but you get the idea.

So what do you think, could it work? Let me know below.

It certainly would add an element of realism to the game and the main reason top clubs scouting teams are so big is because many of them will be youth scouts so placing the emphasis on managers to ensure this aspect of the club is doing well, will add more weight to the process of developing youth players in the game.

I guess what you're suggesting is already a feature of the game but wrapped up in youth coaching, youth recruitment etc. It might be a level of detail too far for a lot of people but I guess it could always be delegated to your HoyD/DoF etc and the game can be played much in the same way it is now.

1 hour ago, maccataq said:

It certainly would add an element of realism to the game and the main reason top clubs scouting teams are so big is because many of them will be youth scouts so placing the emphasis on managers to ensure this aspect of the club is doing well, will add more weight to the process of developing youth players in the game.

I guess what you're suggesting is already a feature of the game but wrapped up in youth coaching, youth recruitment etc. It might be a level of detail too far for a lot of people but I guess it could always be delegated to your HoyD/DoF etc and the game can be played much in the same way it is now.

It is true it may be a step too far and bleed into a chairman role which FM is not supposed to be. However, I do not see the harm in modifying the newgen dates and system, or for the fact of getting scout reports of these potential wonderkids that will pop up in a certain area soon. 

On 30/05/2019 at 15:05, seabas3 said:

It is true it may be a step too far and bleed into a chairman role which FM is not supposed to be. However, I do not see the harm in modifying the newgen dates and system, or for the fact of getting scout reports of these potential wonderkids that will pop up in a certain area soon. 

Yeah I have thought in the past it would be nice to get updates on the pipeline. Like for example, if they start intakes at say 12 years old, the only detail you may want is that they had a particularly good intake this year etc. and you will know in 4-5 years time you could be on for a good one. This may then play into how you plan for the future so you might be looking further afield to recruit for your intake as opposed to relying on local kids.

Would be nice to have, at minimum, an academy screen that allowed you to set preferred tactical familiarity, positions/roles, and maybe core focus like technical, tactical, or physical traits.

Perhaps a broader philosophy like "positional versatility" would see more multi-positional players come through who are natural in several positions (but ultimately lose that status for a couple positions after finding their niche in the U18, 23, and First Team) 

16 minutes ago, Harper said:

Would be nice to have, at minimum, an academy screen that allowed you to set preferred tactical familiarity, positions/roles, and maybe core focus like technical, tactical, or physical traits.

Perhaps a broader philosophy like "positional versatility" would see more multi-positional players come through who are natural in several positions (but ultimately lose that status for a couple positions after finding their niche in the U18, 23, and First Team) 

I like the idea that you could change the emphasis of youth coaching around tactics, technique etc. This could play into youth recruitment strategy, for example, you could recruit quick players, technical players, players with good tactical awareness.

Positional versatility is interesting, there are many real life examples of footballers starting as something else - Michael Carrick was a striker, Rio Ferdinand was a midfielder, Bale was a LB etc. I think the settling a position once they hit your youth teams would be good as their attributes and potential will be more certain. One of the reasons Michael Carrick dropped into midfield was because he wasn't particularly quick.

• 1 year later...