JoseRR's FM09 Big Euro Nation Challenge!

cheers iacovone... athough it's taken a long time, it's actually only 4 FM seasons so delighted with that.... As for the Oviedo youth, it was ripping up the U-19 league.... my original plan was to let them settle in until christmas and then introduce then into the squad. Once i was top i decided to stick largely with what i had. Martinez got some appearances early doors but didn't do a lot, same with Garcia Ardura. They still have bright futures though, and a couple more may feature this season. Raul impressed when given chances late in the season so i may have to go brave.

That sounds fair enough mate :thup:

Didn't realise it was just 4 seasons - thats quite some progress, KUTGW :thup:

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He should do !:D looks like a once in a generation player tbf. Good role model for younger players is fab aswell as he can probably be at the club for life and help younger players. All in all if i was Olympiakos i'd feel utterly robbed.

Yep. Poor poor Olympiakos :D

On the Savona front we're still sitting top with 11 games to go. 2 points clear of Roma, AC and Inter Milan. Its very tight up there. Tomasso Cilona just notched 2 goals in a home win over Siena. One was a 25 yarder, the other a 40 yarder free kick!! What a player this guy is; world class midfielder, 10 goals from DM! Legend in the making.

Free evening tonight and we're in mid-March so with any luck I'll get the season completed tonight!

That sounds fair enough mate :thup:

Didn't realise it was just 4 seasons - thats quite some progress, KUTGW :thup:

yeah, my seasons tend to trundle along - my fairly slow computer. :( I'm delighted with the progress too, although i think i might have a real struggle next season tbh.

Hm, maybe I should send some scouts to Greece. ;)

My scout has been staying in Turkey forever, and toured Malta for a bit too. No idea what's in Malta. :D

Hope Kumar can be a part of that Savona Champions League winning team!

22 games in now so hopefully get the season done tonight sometime.

in 9th place 13 points off 1st and 1 point off the final play off place.

my star midfielder turned winger is out for the season now though and can't seem to get service to my strikers now:(

TaylorB - thats unlucky, hopefully you can nick into the playoffs and go from there. My Captain broke his collarbone a few games ago and is out for a month and a half. It seems we're playing better without him though :)

We just went 5 points clear after Roma lost in Naples whilst we scored a last minute winner at Pisa. Rotunno. Who else?

just got my first commercial link.... Puerto Rico Islanders!! apparently bring me a lot of exposure in the States.... and cash hopefully!!

Ha, I got the same team as a merchandising feeder. I was hoping for TFC, but this was no the case... :(

Nice one TaylorB! Anything to get 1 over the dastardly Oviedo crew :p

EDIT: I didn't realise AC Milan had a game in hand on me. The lead was cut to 8 and now 5 points as they just beat Roma away. Major late push for the title from the holders...

You won those games because the Real Oviedo manager in your game is crap. ;)

Where are you in the standings now?

In my Real Oviedo game, the postponement of a few matches earlier in the season means I got 5 home games in the last 7 matches. Still got hope for a top half finish. :p

You won those games because the Real Oviedo manager in your game is crap. ;)

Where are you in the standings now?

In my Real Oviedo game, the postponement of a few matches earlier in the season means I got 5 home games in the last 7 matches. Still got hope for a top half finish. :p

currently 7th..5points off the play off positions, with 10 games left. Oviedo are 17th with 25 points, not even you could save them:D

Taylor, rlipscombe and I are already in La Liga, and I believe Razer has a 2 year plan to get promoted into the top flight. We are very capable managers. ;)

For your sake I hope you somehow get promoted. :D

yeah, i can't really talk untill i get to La Liga tbf:(

Gah! 2-0 away defeat to Juve. Lead cut to 3 points. 3 games to go. Inter at home then Frosinone (a) and Lecce (h) to wrap it up.

Now we have a better head to head record over Milan, but not sure if that counts when its for the title - might be a playoff if thats the case.

Roma at home, let the mind games begin. Mon the 3 points!

EDIT: Absolutely dominated them but their keeper was in inspirational form. 0-0. 9 pts ahead of Milan but they have a game in hand.

Gah! 2-0 away defeat to Juve. Lead cut to 3 points. 3 games to go. Inter at home then Frosinone (a) and Lecce (h) to wrap it up.

Now we have a better head to head record over Milan, but not sure if that counts when its for the title - might be a playoff if thats the case.

not the best 2 results there but still confident for the title?

good and bad news on transfer front... Antonio has gone for £2 million and 50% of next fee. Had to sell as had a year to go and would never sign a new deal. Guy is going to be a star, so with a min. fee clause of £2.5 million, offered for £2m + fee to ensure i get good money for him.

On plus side, Palacios asked to come off transfer list, so i promptly offered him a new 4 year deal and he's accepted :D min. fee release clause is set at £20 million.....

Drew 0-0 at home with Inter. Not bad considering my 3 CBs were all out!! However we now haven't scored in 3 games. Rotunno has frozen!

We are just a point ahead. We have Frosinone (a) next. They sit 1 place above relegation but should be safe. Then 14th placed Lecce at home to wrap it up. It would be amazing if we could win it in front of the home fans!

Milan are away to 10th Udinese next, gotta hope for an upset!

Wow, just had the most nerve-wracking match ever.

Away to Frosinone, must win pretty much. Expected a performance from most. Half time - 1-0 down. Playing woefully. Gave them a talking to and sent them out til 60mins to see if anything changed. It didn't. Took off a CB and threw on another CF - 3-4-3 formation. Massive pressure resulted in a Rotunno (who I'd criticized in the press pre-game) headed equalizer. Moved us more attacking and with just 3 minutes to go up popped the living legend, the Italian Gerrard - Tommaso Cilona - who arrived onto a knockdown on the edge of the box to thunder it in the top corner from 25 yards. I just went beserk!! What scenes!!

Still just a point ahead and 1 final home game against Lecce. Lets hope they lay down for us, after all they have nothing to play for!

Phew :D

Wow, just had the most nerve-wracking match ever.

Away to Frosinone, must win pretty much. Expected a performance from most. Half time - 1-0 down. Playing woefully. Gave them a talking to and sent them out til 60mins to see if anything changed. It didn't. Took off a CB and threw on another CF - 3-4-3 formation. Massive pressure resulted in a Rotunno (who I'd criticized in the press pre-game) headed equalizer. Moved us more attacking and with just 3 minutes to go up popped the living legend, the Italian Gerrard - Tommaso Cilona - who arrived onto a knockdown on the edge of the box to thunder it in the top corner from 25 yards. I just went beserk!! What scenes!!

Still just a point ahead and 1 final home game against Lecce. Lets hope they lay down for us, after all they have nothing to play for!

Phew :D

Who else to score ay? them two to score in the next game for a 2-0 win and the title anyone?;)

currently having a massive slump and now pretty much impossible to get into the play off now:( at least mathematically i can't finish bottom now:D

Ah unlucky TaylorB at least you've survived though :D

As a little bit of pre-game stats - we've beaten Lecce 3 times out of 3 at home. A 4th will win us the Scudetto. Rotunno has rallied the troops. We're going in......see you on the other side

TaylorB 1 question - are you psychic?

\o/\o/\o/\o/\o/\o/\o/\o/\o/\o/\o/\o/\o/\o/\o/\o/\o/\o/

Savona 2-0 Lecce

Rotunno (31), Cilona (58)

Absolute heroes!

I'll do the season report tomorrow as I'm knackered but I will leave you with the Riccardo Rotunno song. To the tune of the Torres Liverpool song (go to youtube if you don't know it!)

We found the lad in Italy, Sorso, Sorso

He's tall and almost 6 foot 3, Rotunno Rotunno

He's big he's quick, the song will stick

and don't forget he loves a trick!

Ricky Rotunno, Savona's number 9!!

la la la la la la la la la la la la la etc

(and repeat) :D

Savona 2-0 Lecce

Absolute heroes!

I'll do the season report tomorrow as I'm knackered but I will leave you with the Riccardo Rotunno song. To the tune of the Torres Liverpool song (go to youtube if you don't know it!)

yes, yes i am:D

will be singing that song for a while :p

congratulations:thup:

Savona 2-0 Lecce

Absolute heroes!

Congratulations on the first Top Flight title for any of us, and hopefully next year it makes the Champs League a bit easier, I am still waiting for my computer to be fixed and now thinking about ringing and abusing the firm one more time.

Great work iacovone! have a feeling you'll be the first ever person to complete this challenge :thup: hope the champions league goes well next season

EDIT - and that New Zealand wonderkid... didnt know such things were possible :D

Savona End of Season 13 Update (2021/22)

Serie A:

Predicted Finish: 13th

Actual Finish: 1st | Graph

Campione!! Campione!! Ole ole ole ole!!! We did it!! The Scudetto moves to Savona for the first time ever. Despite an incredible late push by AC Milan (the holders) that included winning their final 9 league games in a row, we just about held on to secure the league by 1 point \o/!

Squad:

Seeing as its a momentus day (and I don't know how long it'll be til we win Serie A/Champions League) I thought I'd do a run down of the squad!

GKs:

Giordano Liguori - Excellent goalkeeper to be fair. He is commanding and very very rarely makes mistakes. Is heading to the World Cup as number 2 for Italy. He also came 3rd in Goalkeeper of the Year.

Savas Celik - A great young back up goalkeeper. He has so much potential that I think next season he'll really press Liguori as number 1. Its great to have 2 keepers that I don't have any worries about.

DFs:

Francesco Cecere - Incredible RB. Wanted by back to back European champions Arsenal but I've just tied him down to a new 5 year contract. Ever-present all year long, fantastic part of my defence.

David Penot - LB of real quality. Solid all year and just missed one Serie A game. Is heading to the World Cup with Switzerland.

Alessandro Perelli - 3rd choice CB after coming back for his 2nd spell at the club. Is very good but just unfortunate that I have two even better CBs ahead of him!

Maurizio Secco - An absolute colossus for us at the back and still just 20 years old! Wanted by just about every club in the world, but is going nowhere. He is however going to the World Cup with Italy. He was also 3rd in Defender of the Year. 3rd place in my Player of the Year.

Mehran Zahedi - Secco's partner for most of the season but I personally see him leaving in the summer. Has become more trouble than he's worth. He is constantly pining for a move away and consequently gets in arguments with Cilona and Diaz. This causes disharmony etc and nearly cost us the title! I have transfer listed the Danish-Iraqi for £30m though I may have to lower that if I really want rid of him.

MFs:

Ali Gul - The new Tugay? Technically gifted CM. Came into the team during Diaz's abscence and though he didn't end up with the greatest average rating, he got some assists and is still young! One for the future definitely.

Jimmy Blixt - One of the great names in football! Had a fantastic debut season for us on the right wing. Left footed so gives full backs an unusual problem. Weighed in with a decent number of goals and assists.

Florent Castagnet - Experienced, reliable, versatile midfielder. He can fill in anywhere in midfield or defence and in some ways this has hindered his Savona career as he's never settled in one position. Does a great job whenever required. Heading to the World Cup with France.

Tommaso Cilona - Legend in the making. World class midfielder. Has now added goals to his game this year making him truly a complete midfielder. My player of the season. Incredibly he didn't make Italy's World Cup 2022 squad :mad:. Their loss though! He was our only player to make Serie A Team of the Year.

Matias Diaz - Cilona's midfield partner and captain of the club. Indifferent season really. Never really got going in there and suffered an injury that broke up his season too. I'm left slightly disappointed by him overall - hopefully he can up his game next year. Heading to the World Cup with Argentina.

Luca Fuser - Once dubbed the next Andrea Pirlo! Led me to keep him on a little longer than perhaps I should have. With the new additions and youth coming through I think he'll be looked at being sold in the summer to be honest.

Ryota Kanai - Japanese LW who I thought would be our weak link this year. I was constantly looking for a new LW but eventually settled on giving him a chance. It paid off as Kanai added some goals to his game - something he hadn't done in his previous 2 seasons here.

Davide Maggio - My very promising RW came into the team a few times ahead of Blixt when he was unfit and delivered some good performances for someone so young. He has a very bright future here.

Gianluca Mambelli - The left sided equivalent to Maggio. Very promising and did a similar job of stepping in when Kanai was unfit. Not quite as effective but a threat nonetheless.

CFs:

Mikhail Anokhin - Big disappointment really. Signed expecting big things from the young Russian but hasn't looked clinical or threatening really. Hope its just because of his age. As one of Russia's star players he is heading to the World Cup, maybe here he can show his worth!

Massimo Dima - Academy product who has run his course here. I think he knows it too as there have been murmours of discontent in the media. Expect to see him leave soon. Shame as he was great for us in Serie B.

Riccardo Rotunno - Best player to ever come through the academy, a true great so far. Scored 2 vital goals in the last 2 games to clinch the title. Also misses out on the World Cup - shame. VC of the club now too. Won Italian Young Player of the Year :thup:

Gianluigi Zaninelli - Classy forward also heading to the World Cup. He plays a little deeper than Rotunno and consequently can use his footballing brain a little more. Picked up almost as many assists as goals. Came 3rd in Top Goalscorer this year. My 2nd place in my Player of the Year.

Transfers:

Laurie Potter - The new Paul Ince anyone?? Going to provide great competition in CM to Diaz mainly. Could become fantastic with Cilona. Time will tell.

Ricki Kumar - Our New Zealand superstar. Him, Rotunno and Zaninelli could be deadly! Very excited about this kid. He has also shot NZ to the World Cup so I'll be keeping very close tabs on him!

I plan on keeping as many of the squad as I can over the summer. Its all about developing the Savona Youth further still as we have some real gems coming through.

End of Season Notes:

Tommaso Cilona took the Fans Player of the Year award, as expected.t

Best XI

Best Ever XI

The board expect me to win Serie A next season :eek:. Uh oh, pressure is on.

Sadly we didn't get any regens of note this year. There was one touted as possibly one of the best in his generation, but quite honestly I think his generation must be pretty awful looking at him!

Exciting News:

New Stadium - :D Finally!! Just a pity it wasn't named after me...Look forward to playing in a stadium 3 times the size of the current one!

I won manager of the year too!

Next Season:

Well its all about the Champions League now isn't it!? I'm looking forward to our 3rd season in Europe (1st in CL) and with those two additions we could have a real chance. Of course I'd like to keep up our credentials in Italy, though I doubt we'll have it all our way next season. A top 4 finish will be great and will consolidate our position as one of the new 'top 4' clubs in Italy. We deserved the Scudetto this year but it was without a doubt unexpected. Teams will be far more wary next season and possibly harder to break down. It'll certainly be interesting.

I'll do a nice round up of the World Cup too as there are a lot of interesting players involved.

World Cup 2022:

The group stages saw Kumar play 3 times for NZ. Unfortunately they were all defeats as NZ departed the World Cup and he failed to score.

David Penot found himself as the Swiss 2nd choice LB and didn't feature at all in their run to the Quarters.

Florent Castagnet played well in the group stages for France with 1 assist in their 2 wins and 1 draw. He injured himself in the final group game though and missed their 2nd round defeat to Chile on pens.

Mikhail Anokhin began the tournament well with an assist in Russia's win over China. He then got injured in the 2nd game against Chile and missed the final group game and 2nd round game. He returned against Australia in the Quarters but his missed 4th penalty in the shootout proved crucial and they were eliminated.

Matias Diaz played in every one of Argentina's games to the final of the World Cup. In general he was a steady performer. He scored their 7th penalty in a shootout win over USA in the 2nd round.

Maurizio Secco started and played every minute of the World Cup, which was a surprise to everyone as the first group game was his debut! However just like his year at Savona, he was impeccable and led Italy to the World Cup!! Zaninelli played a few minutes here and there off the bench but did nothing of note. Liguori was the sub keeper all tournament.

The summer transfer window has been madness. I hate it! There have been tons of bids for my players but I've resisted them all so far (except Dima who has gone to Newcastle!). Zahedi is happy to stay now, so he will do just that for the time being. Inter and AC Milan have spent small fortunes on their midfields, they appear to be quite upset at Savona knicking a Scudetto.

As always I have no choice but to splash most of our cash on youth and hope they develop well. With the extra games in Europe this year, there will be plenty of opportunities for the youngsters to make themselves noticed :)

Archived