JoseRR's FM09 Big Euro Nation Challenge!

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

FFS!! I'm fuming. What the hell!!!! We've just played Sampdoria in the league and surprise surprise we've encountered not one, not two, but 3...3!!! injuries. I'm absolutely gutted as I'm pretty sure we're going to get destroyed in the final now. Cardozo, Bertolucci and Rotunno all stretchered off. /o\

EDIT: so a bit of relief...Rotunno was fine, Cardozo will take an injection to play but Bertolucci is out.

EDIT 2: Napoli won and Milan drew. Napoli take the lead at the top of the table by 2 points. 2 games to go. Mon Napoli, the whole of Italy is with you!!

Uefa Cup Final

vs Chelsea (n - San Siro)

Team News:

Perhaps a couple of blessings in disguise as under-performing Giannini and Bertolucci are both out suspended and injured. Pecoraro didn't quite make it back from injury in time, but Cardozo will play with an injection in his foot. So Bartoli came in at CB, Moroni returned to LB following suspension in the Italian Cup Final. Rotunno and Kumar again start up front - they must do better.

1st Half:

The game began well for us, possession football was the key and we had a half chance through an Adani header that went wide. Chelsea came back but could only muster a long range effort that went over the bar. On the 30 minute mark Adani swung over a teasing cross from the right and everyone's favourite New Zealander Ricki Kumar nodded home!!! 1-0 to the good guys. Half time came and despite our lead we had 2 half-injuries to deal with. Adani was playing well so remained on and despite Cardozo's poor first half performance I kept him on knowing that he was good for a goal at some point.

2nd Half:

Well immediately Adani's injury got worse and he had to come off, minutes later they hit the bar as it looked as if Chelsea were coming out with some fight. However a quick substitution of Cardozo for Fabrizi was successful as we moved to a flatter more balanced 4-4-2. The game continued but Chelsea kept coming - their best chance came when our GK Liguori was tackled in the left channel. Fortunately Paddy Ford was not clinical enough and we remained 1-0 up. I moved us even more defensive and we actually nearly nicked another Kumar goal in the 90th minute. Needless to say there were no further threats from Chelsea and we claimed our first ever piece of European silverware!!! :D

\o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/

Hurrah!!

MOM - Everyone's favourite New Zealander :thup:

Thanks rancer - still a long way off CL winning quality though I think.

Having said that Roma defeated Arsenal 2-0 in the CL final, so that's made me rather happy. Also makes our defeat in the Italian Cup less upsetting!

Delighted to say Rotunno scored at the San Siro to prevent Milan taking 3 points :D. 1-1 final score. Napoli so close now to winning the Scudetto.

EDIT: In fact because Napoli won away at Lecce, they have secured the title with a game to spare. It's the first time they have done since the great Maradona season back in 1990 when they pipped AC to the title then as well. Lorenzo Kwakman is surely their Maradona this time around :thup:

Would just like to say that I have been followng this thread quite regularly and wish to congratulate everyone on thei respective succeses :thup:

If I ever manage to do Razer's challenge I would head here and try to take an East German club to glory! But it is a big if, my record in challenges isn't that great :rolleyes::D

I've finally made it onto the favoured personnel list for Savona \o/.

Next stop...ICON :cool:

EDIT: Just got offered the Italy job as well! My stock has really risen this season . Obviously I rejected it :(

I got offered a job by the best country in the world, Spain, but I rejected it too. :(

And welcome and good luck in Germany corinthiano. :thup:

Just got offered the Italy job as well! My stock has really risen this season :cool:. Obviously I rejected it :(
I got offered a job by the best country in the world, Spain, but I rejected it too. :(

And welcome and good luck in Germany corinthiano. :thup:

I don't remember seeing it in the rules - is it not allowed in this challenge to have a national job?

Savona End of Season 16 Update (2025/25)

Serie A:

Predicted Finish: 2nd

Actual Finish: 4th|Graph

Italian Cup: Runners Up (Lost to Roma 2-0)

Uefa Cup: Winners!! (beat Chelsea 1-0)

End of Season Notes:

I find myself pretty happy with this season. We finished 4th and although we were a way off the top 3, we were also a way ahead of 5th showing that we've cemented our claim to that 4th CL spot for now. We had a wonderful year in the cup competitions despite it starting very disappointingly. After missing out on the CL after being handed an extremely tough draw against Barca we went on to win the Uefa Cup. The highlight of this adventure probably being the 3-0 win away at the Bernabeu against R.Madrid. We dominated the final and deserved that first piece of European silverware. In the Italian Cup we also made it to the final beating Juventus and Inter along the way. However the CL winners Roma were too good on the day in the final, beating us 2-0. In the league I was delighted to help out Napoli win their first Scudetto for 35 years by taking points off Milan in the run in. At the other end of the table, a couple of big names in Fiorentina and our rivals Genoa were relegated way before the season ended. Bad years for both. Interestingly Juve, Lazio and Inter have dropped off the pace set by the top 4 and now struggle to make the Uefa Cup. Who will be the surprise package next season?

Our top goalscorer was Riccardo Rotunno. We needed one of Kumar or Badini to step up this year and weigh in with some goals and I'm pleased to look back and see everyone's favourite New Zealander score 13 in all comps this season - far better than his first 2 years at us. My player of the season? It would be between these two:

Club Captain Tommaso Cilona was back to his imperious best with 13 goals from DM. Came 2nd in Serie A Player of the Year. Also won the World Player of the Year.

Ricki Kumar - Has he finally come good? A great end to the season culminated in him winning us the Uefa Cup.

Notable Players:

Jimmy Blixt - Had a good season if slightly unspectacular compared to his previous two. Still got our most assists and came 3rd in Foreigner of the Year in Italy.

Emanuele Moroni - Our Paolo Maldini? He's seen as a wonderkid and was almost ever present for us this year at LB. Made Serie A Team of the Year :thup:

Roberto Pecoraro - bought from Siena for £24m two seasons ago, the absurdly gifted RB was superb for us this season. So consistent. Justly rewarded with the Fans Player of the Year Award.

Guiseppe Quinto - Another of our wonderkids and one of two LM wonderkids :D. He was excellent for us in his 2nd full season here.

Riccardo Raffa - Our other wonderkid LM was equally good. Weighed in with a couple more assists but a couple less goals. Either way an exciting player.Came 3rd in Young Player of the Year.

Diego Cardozo - Highly promising Argentinian AMC. He was in and out of the team but importantly showed a clinical side to his finishing, scoring some important goals. One to watch.

Fabio Bertolucci - Our biggest disappointment. Came in the summer just gone from Inter for the whopping fee of £31m. Only showed glimpses of his talent perhaps because he was being played AMC and not RM like at Inter. I hope for big improvements next season.

Best XI

Best Ever XI - Moroni, Raffa and Kumar make the team :)

Next Season:

With any luck we'll progress to the group stages of the CL. That's the main aim. If we can do that the next ambition I have is to hunt down the top 3 and break into that group. Let's go!

Oh and we start with a delightful opening 3 fixtures :rolleyes:

Lazio (a)

AC Milan (h)

Inter Milan (a)

What's the best way to convince a player thats been unhappy at the club for three years to agree to a new contract? I'm in his favourite personnel and he wants to move to a bigger club and wanst to be transfer listed. So I transfer listed him and offered him to clubs but nothing. I really want him to stay. He has two years left on his contract atm.

AC Milan just tried to buy Riccardo Raffa for £36m plus a very good ST called Tommaso Di Donato. Outrageous deal for me but I've decided I'm not going to be Milan's feeder club anymore :mad:!!

I'm beginning to hate Milan on my file with a passion.

EDIT: Milan also just gave their CB Alessandro Caputo a new contract. He's 31 and on £150,000 per week :eek:!!! Normally that would shock me but Caputo is without a doubt the best player I've ever ever evvvvver seen on any FM. Absolutely incredible.

EDIT 2: Roma just bid for Raffa - £43m!!! The only thing that tempts me is that I have Quinto an equally good wonderkid LM to take over the reigns. Its more that I don't want to give my rivals another gem!

AC Milan just tried to buy Riccardo Raffa for £36m plus a very good ST called Tommaso Di Donato. Outrageous deal for me but I've decided I'm not going to be Milan's feeder club anymore :mad:!!

I'm beginning to hate Milan on my file with a passion.

Should have retrained Raffa to a RB thne sold him just to screw them over.:D

:D

In even better news, it appears that Ricki Kumar may finally be coming-good! He's been given an extended run in the side due to my current distaste for Riccardo Rotunno's underperformance and he has thrived. He has 4 in his last 6 now which though not incredible, is fairly astonishing when you look at his overall record at Savona. Keep it up!

Good to here that Kumar is coming good.
pack your bags guys, Oviedo are going into Europe!!!!!!!

Won 2-0 away to finish 6th in our debut season....... :)

Great first year and good luck in europe rlipscombe
Quick update.

Voghera are unbeaten in 8 now :) and we lie in 6th

In the most recent match we fought back twice for a 2-2 in a six pointer away to Alessandria. So, we're occupying the last play-off spot at the start of November with a record of W3, D5, L2.

Keep it up mate and you'll win promotion

FFS!! I'm fuming. What the hell!!!! We've just played Sampdoria in the league and surprise surprise we've encountered not one, not two, but 3...3!!! injuries. I'm absolutely gutted as I'm pretty sure we're going to get destroyed in the final now. Cardozo, Bertolucci and Rotunno all stretchered off. /o\

EDIT: so a bit of relief...Rotunno was fine, Cardozo will take an injection to play but Bertolucci is out.

EDIT 2: Napoli won and Milan drew. Napoli take the lead at the top of the table by 2 points. 2 games to go. Mon Napoli, the whole of Italy is with you!!

That happened to me earlier 3 players injured in first half glad to here that 2 will be alright
Uefa Cup Final

vs Chelsea (n - San Siro)

Team News:

Perhaps a couple of blessings in disguise as under-performing Giannini and Bertolucci are both out suspended and injured. Pecoraro didn't quite make it back from injury in time, but Cardozo will play with an injection in his foot. So Bartoli came in at CB, Moroni returned to LB following suspension in the Italian Cup Final. Rotunno and Kumar again start up front - they must do better.

1st Half:

The game began well for us, possession football was the key and we had a half chance through an Adani header that went wide. Chelsea came back but could only muster a long range effort that went over the bar. On the 30 minute mark Adani swung over a teasing cross from the right and everyone's favourite New Zealander Ricki Kumar nodded home!!! 1-0 to the good guys. Half time came and despite our lead we had 2 half-injuries to deal with. Adani was playing well so remained on and despite Cardozo's poor first half performance I kept him on knowing that he was good for a goal at some point.

2nd Half:

Well immediately Adani's injury got worse and he had to come off, minutes later they hit the bar as it looked as if Chelsea were coming out with some fight. However a quick substitution of Cardozo for Fabrizi was successful as we moved to a flatter more balanced 4-4-2. The game continued but Chelsea kept coming - their best chance came when our GK Liguori was tackled in the left channel. Fortunately Paddy Ford was not clinical enough and we remained 1-0 up. I moved us even more defensive and we actually nearly nicked another Kumar goal in the 90th minute. Needless to say there were no further threats from Chelsea and we claimed our first ever piece of European silverware!!!

\o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/

Hurrah!!

MOM - Everyone's favourite New Zealander :thup:

Well done mate a great victory

So long as you're getting some decent possession stats you will get results. Unless your forwards are rubbish :D

Well with Kalinichenko Daniel aquino Todorov and my poteintal wonderkid striker from plaermo my forwards are not rubbish.

Won my first game 1-0 against Cagliari

After the debacle of my attempt at Gundo's Challenge on FM08 I have decided to have a go at this one this year... Spain being my destination of choice.

Initially I wanted to get an island team from the Balearics or Canaries but after about 30 reloads none had appeared yet so I gave up and went for Plan B. Which was to choose one of the teams that had only come up once during all those reloads. I think there were 3 of them, but anyway one in particular caught my eye especially given the identity of the Spanish team of choice in this thread. So please say hola to the new manager of Asociación Deportiva Universidad de Oviedo.

Jaime Cristoforez

AD Universidad de Oviedo

The starting "squad" - the GK (why I have 4 very average 15/16yo GKs I don't know) and Sanchez, the AM/F C, look useful whilst the best player in the whole squad is the 16yo DC Herrera who has the potential to be a very good Segunda División player. And that is about it. As everyone is on an amateur contract at the moment I need to get them signed up asap otherwise the squad will soon be in even worse shape than it currently is.

We are semi-pro, the stadium holds 4000 and we are predicted to finish last. I think there might be work ahead....

(Real Oviedo also got promoted but we are not in the same division this season)

After the debacle of my attempt at Gundo's Challenge on FM08 I have decided to have a go at this one this year... Spain being my destination of choice.

Initially I wanted to get an island team from the Balearics or Canaries but after about 30 reloads none had appeared yet so I gave up and went for Plan B. Which was to choose one of the teams that had only come up once during all those reloads. I think there were 3 of them, but anyway one in particular caught my eye especially given the identity of the Spanish team of choice in this thread. So please say hola to the new manager of Asociación Deportiva Universidad de Oviedo.

Good luck mate; hope you do well.

C'mon Voghera pull it together!!

I bloody hate the transfer windows :mad:!! Every big club in the world declare interest in every one of my players (except Cilona) on a daily basis. Squad harmony was very good in July. We're now mid-August and its dropped down to 68% - still good but not ideal!

Iacovone - you're Vogheras 12th man! We just won 2-1 away to Pizzighettone :thup:

Milan appoint Rijkaard.

Arsenal win the World Club Championship (just cos we weren't in it :cool:)

Glad I could help!

(Man I hate Arsenal so much IRL and on FM :mad:)

Just beat Spartak 6-2 on agg to qualify for the CL Group Stages \o/

Could this be the year?!

:D

Our group looks like this:

Bayern Munich

Savona

Ajax

Zenit

So its pretty tough :D. Bayern are 6 times champions. Ajax have won it before and Zenit have good recent European pedigree. Could be tough to come top two...

Bah!! Just lost the European Super Cup to Roma (shock) 5-3 on penalties after we played out an atrocious 0-0 draw. Pecoraro missed the crucial pen. We also amassed a catalogue of injuries during the game. Bad times. And I HATE Roma now. That's 3 cup finals and 3 losses to them :mad:

Messina Last 5 games

Sampdoria 2-1 Messina a stuning performence from kalinichenko scorer of both our goals

Messina 3-2 Roma A stuning chipped finish from Kalinichenko to go with his first half efort

Inter 3-0 Messina Well what can I say we brushed the italian champions a side in a truly stunning performence two goals from D'Agostino

Messina 0-1 Juventus We had four 1 on 1's in the first half but poor finishing allowed juventus back into the game.

Messina 2-1 Fiorentina An oustanding performence from us as we brush Fiorentina a side.

After 10 games we sit 7th 3 points behind sixth with a 5-1-4 record however 3 of those lost should really have benn wins

Archived