JoseRR's FM09 Big Euro Nation Challenge!

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well 2nd/3rd choice striker Michele Badini has been ruled out for nearly 4 months with a torn calf muscle :(. Winning the CL will be that little bit harder now...

Oh but in stark contrast he has synced his injury with the return of World Player of the Year and Club Captain Tommaso Cilona. Joy :*)

+++ Oviedo News +++

- bids rejected fro Situ and Palacios

- first friendly sees reserves win away 13-0 against Spanish non-league opposition.

- Young Spanish CB signed for £2.5 million.

- Souza (ML) possibly leaving on loan.

- 4-0 away friendly win at Cultural Leonesa.

Real Oviedo going to the Europa League Semi Finals!!! :D

We lost to Ajax on the road 3-1, but I told my players to not hold back and attack all game, and Riccardo Villa scored in the 90th minute to win the 2nd leg 4-1, and advance to the semis. :D

We face HSV in the semis...

1st Knockout Round Draw:

Porto v AC Milan

Savona v Standard

Shakhtar v Roma

Man Utd v Lyon

Schalke v Valencia

Napoli v Arsenal

R. Madrid v Ajax

Barcelona v Chelsea

So some interesting ties. Our reward for coming 2nd is to face the easiest (on paper) team left in the competition. Ajax for coming 1st get R. Madrid! Barcelona v Chelsea should be a great fixture, as should Napoli v Arsenal (Italian holders v one of the great current European sides who have won the tournament 5 times in the last 8 years :eek:)

Exciting times ahead in the CL. We could and perhaps should make the next round...fingers crossed!

Pretty favourable draw there iacovone. :)

Although in my game, when I had Standard in my Champions League group stage a few seasons back, they drew Man U twice, and defeated (in Belgium) and drew my team at home.

Good luck. :thup:

EDIT: NHL Playoffs 1st Round Scores (will be posted throughout the night :p)

Rangers 1, CAPS 1 (end of 2nd period)

Hurricanes 2, Devils 2 (16:21 left in 2nd period)

One of the unofficial duties of being a Canadian citizen is being a hockey fan. :D

And Sergei Fedorov scored for the Caps. 2-1 with less than 2 minutes remaining. :D

EDIT: Yes, yes, yes, Caps moving on!!!

EDIT2: Real Oviedo knocked out of Europa League by HSV. We were leading on away goals when they scored in the 90th minute, and then scored again in extra time. :(

And still in 2nd...we do have a H2H game against Barca, although good news is that it's at home...

EDIT3: And does anyone want the Europa League Quarterfinal 2nd leg against Ajax? Wouldn't mind uploading it here if anyone's interested. Most memorable game in FM for me in recent memory!!

Gah January is such a horrible time for me.

Just received a £30m bid for this man - Riccardo Raffa. I negotiated back with Roma to try and get £40m and they accepted! Now what do I do? He wants to leave as well...

Oh and I also have the Italian Messi who has been sharing time with him at LW - Giuseppe Quinto.

Thoughts?

EDIT: Sold him. £40m better off :thup:

That's what I thought mate, good bit of business hopefully.

I'm also thinking this could be my final season with Savona :(. After that long break from the game, my interest has died a little. I'm going to see how I get on in the CL this season (as there's still a chance I could complete the challenge) and take it from there. There is also the AI Holiday Experiment I wanted to run with the same file once the challenge was complete so it gives me another reason to push to the end of the year.

EDIT: I may also try another challenge for the moment to see where that goes (how many times have I said that :rolleyes:)

Quality stuff rancer well done :thup:

rlipscombe I feel your pain - remember when I got drawn against Barcelona in the CL Qual Round? Bad times! Good luck though :thup:

Roma are so flippin good on my file now, this is without a doubt the toughest file I've ever had on FM. The Italian league is just too strong - even with my tycoon helping us out. Without his money there is no way I'd have come close to the CL by now!

Also like to add I was probably a little premature with packing in the Savona file - I don't think I can stay away/move on until I complete this damn challenge :D

iacovone stays... :(

And I faced Roma in the Champions League Qualifying Round before, we beat them. :D

And my season just finished, we tied Real at home in the last game as well. I might be selling some players though, as 1/4 of them want to move to a bigger club... :( (although my preference would be of course to keep them)

I'll post my update soon...

EDIT: And Casillas is finally retiring! I want to sign him to coach my goalkeepers, but he's demanding $16 million a year... :eek: (4 times my salary lol)

Will you play it tonight or not? I'm quite excited for you :thup:

Me? i'm afraid not... just had my yearly occurance on 10th August where my game effectively freezes for 30mins while it processes and not it's bed time. tune in tomorrow night to see what happens..... :D

Will you play it tonight or not? I'm quite excited for you :thup:

And I definitely won't be posting my update tonight since I have a test to worry about tomorrow. Not even close to bedtime but I wanna do well on my test. :p

Might post my update on Friday. :)

Last nightly update for me:

First of all a question for you Spaniards - is there a gulf between say the 'top 4' and the rest of the league? If there is how long has it existed for? Basically on my file now there is just a 'top 6' that are so far ahead of everyone else its untrue. 7th (Frosinone) are 10 points off 6th (Juve) already (13 games to go) and its been this way for years now. It really looks as if I'll never see an unknown quantity break into this group which is a real shame as it does get a little boring after a while. Its also just as fun seeing a 'giant' disappear off the radar - the only example of that so far is Fiorentina getting relegated a couple of times :rolleyes:.

Anyway to wrap things up the 1st Leg of our CL tie with Standard Liege went like this:

HT - 0-0 with us lucky to have not conceded an away goal! They were more creative and more dangerous. So at half time I said I was disappointed and we switched to a more defensive but counter attacking formation.

2nd Half - we were far better and had all the territory and chances. Unfortunately we came across one seriously in-form goalie intent on keeping us at bay. He was Italian as well.

Final score - a very disappointing 0-0 home draw :thdn:

EDIT: Just seen the attendance was a paltry 15000 people in a 24000 all seater stadium. Now this strikes me as incredibly unrealistic no matter how small a town Savona is. I'd imagine we are similar in size to Villarreal and they regularly fill their stadium. Why wouldn't we? Its the CL knockouts!! :mad:

In my game, there's a gap between Real Madrid and everyone else. :p

Although I am closing that gap bit by bit. :cool:

Barca was struggling this season, and lost a lot of winnable games. Before this season, it's usually Real vs Barca for top spot, and Oviedo vs Atletico vs Zaragoza vs Valencia for the 3rd spot...

Villarreal have been near the relegation spots, but are still in La Liga...

I remember in my Fafe game that it was clearly a top 4, Benfica, Sporting, Porto, Braga until I managed to crack it and then it was a clear 3 Benfica, Porto & Braga, with Me and Braga fighting for 4th and behind that a decent gap back to Maritimo

Wow Braga put 2 teams out? ;)

Champions League 1st Knockout Results (after 2 legs):

Ajax 2-4 R. Madrid

Arsenal 4-4 Napoli - incredible result as Napoli scored 3 at the Emirates :eek:

Chelsea 3-2 Barcelona

Valencia 5-1 Schalke

AC Milan 2-1 Porto

Roma 4-0 Shakthar

Lyon 2-2 Man Utd - Lyon through on pens

Standard 0-1 Savona - a good 1-0 away win with a goal from Ricki Kumar...hope we can avoid the other 3 Italian sides :)

Oh bloody hell...

Lyon v Roma

Valencia v Napoli

Chelsea v R Madrid

Savona v AC Milan

Other than Roma that's the one draw I didn't want. 1st Leg at home as well :mad:

Could be another year til this challenge gets close to being complete :(

EDIT: Forgot to add the price of beating Standard was seeing Giuseppe Quinto tear his calf muscle - pretty much out for the season. Blixt is going to be retrained to the left wing as I sold Raffa :thdn:

tough draw that iacovone..... good luck. in terms of my spanish game, so far Barca & Real are out in front. Then it's moderatley close for me down to mid-table. Valencia broke away for 3rd last year but ok apart from that. Rancer is further down line though so big team dominance may not have totally struck yet for me.

Mmm I think that's what it is. The further I've got in, the more distinct the gulf has become. Also I'm slightly disappointed in the variety of nationalities in the regens but that's another story...(~25000 of ~30000 players on my search filter are Italian)

In Serie A news we somehow contrived to lose 1-0 at Bari despite absolutely killing them in chances and possession. The title bid is definitely over, now we play a chasing game for CL. I think if I don't get CL football this save will make the transition to experiment...

1st Leg vs Milan - CL Quarter Finals

Well we started fantastically taking the lead through Jimmy Blixt from a long throw. However that crucial away goal was conceded minutes later as the deadly Fabio Lang slotted one home. Just before half time though Kumar was brought down in the box and Cilona stepped up to take the penalty. His effort was saved but through sheer determination he tucked home the rebound!

HT - 2-1.

I changed the formation to more attacking in the hope that we could ride this momentum and forge a bigger lead. That backfired spectacularly as we conceded two quick goals and found ourselves 3-2 down :mad:! Switching back to our original formation we salvaged the tie with a late Kumar goal but that was how it stayed.

FT - 3-3

3 away goals conceded is never good, particularly as we didn't win the game. The league leaders look odds on favourites to make the semis now, but for a miraculous performance at the San Siro. Incidently the last team to beat them at their home was last years CL semi final defeat to Roma.

MON the miracle :thup:

There are such fine margins in this game and unfortunately we have found it out first hand. Rotunno header hit the post and went wide, Lang's header his the post and went in. That was the story of the 2nd leg as we bowed out of the CL.

I just hate this game sometimes, we destroyed them in the first half but little things went against us and somehow we've come away with a 3-0 (!) defeat. HOW?! More possession, more chances, more shots, what more can we do?

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :mad:

Well at least we're ending the season on a high. Since that CL exit we've won 3 on the bounce and with just 2 games to go have pretty much ensured CL football for next year (plus my presence in this thread ;))

A big \o/ for me.

Oh and with my renewed hatred of Roma, Inter and Milan I think its safe to say I aint goin anywhere til this challenge is goddam complete!!!!! :mad:

(sorry rancer)

Archived