JoseRR's FM09 Big Euro Nation Challenge!

8 games to go and we sit top 4 points clear after a great run of 4 consecutive wins (including 2-1 away at Lazio followed by 1-0 home win over AC Milan). We have a very tough run in though with games away at Juve and Roma and home against Inter.

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Savona End of Season 18 Update (2026/27)

Serie A:

Predicted Finish: 3rd

Actual Finish: 2nd|Graph

Notes: The league campaign began strongly, we went unbeaten for the first 13 games with just 6 goals conceded setting us up nicely for our first realistic title challenge since our Scudetto win in 2021/22. However our first defeat came at home to Roma 1-0 and though it looked like merely a blip, our confidence at home was shook. We lost to Siena 1-0 who were bottom at the time, causing us real problems in the title chase. The biggest rivals to us were AC Milan and Napoli who despite not being quite as miserly at the back, had vitally kept taking points home and away to keep pace with us. We maintained a good record against Milan (winning home and away) and Napoli (winning at home, drawing away) but despite this, we occasionally took our eye off the ball against the lesser teams (Siena, Pisa, Palermo and Atalanta spring to mind).

With 4 games remaining we were 4 points clear of Milan and 5 of Napoli - the title was in our hands. We had an extremely tough run in though, having to travel away to the resurgent Juventus, away to the bane of our season Roma before a home tie against slipping Inter Milan. As Milan won, we lost to Juve 1-0. Gap closed to a point. We then scraped a 1-1 draw against Roma, but Milan again won - this time beating Palermo 1-0. We were now a point behind Milan and needed them to slip up against Pisa (not likely) or Napoli away (much more likely!). We also had to win our final two games. We did just that defeating Inter 2-0 at home and relegated Fiorentina 3-0 away. Unfortunately Milan also won their remaining two games, taking the title by a solitary point!

In hindsight the league was lost against the smaller clubs - we got complacent and just missed too many chances. Our defensive record over the season was sensational - just 19 goals conceded. We lost the fewest games in the league, but as has always been our problem we drew too many. Overall though this was a highly successful year in Serie A. We focussed on the league and nearly came away Champions. Another year of maturing and gelling as a team should serve us well and I fully expect us to mount another challenge next year. Champions League again too :thup:

Italian Cup: Quarters (Lost to Roma - eventual winners for the 5th time in a row)

Notes: Beat Brescia 2-1 in the First Knockout Round. As has been a common theme though, Roma got in our way again. We lost 2-1 at home - frankly unprecedented at that point of the season after the way we'd begun the league campaign.

Uefa Cup: 1st Knockout Round: (Lost to Man Utd 3-2 on agg)

Notes: Qualified with ease from our group, playing the 2nd string for the majority of games - losing just the once to Marseille. I expected us to go further in the knockouts and perhaps repeat our feat of winning the cup two years ago. Unfortunately for us we met our match in the First Knockout Round against Manchester United. Lost 3-2 on aggregate but came so close to taking it to extra time.

End of Season Notes:

So with the absence of the CL this year would always revolve around the league (in which we did very well) and the further maturity of our key players. The CL saw no Italian teams make the semi's - begging the question if the Italian spell of dominance is over? Valencia won it eventually. At the foot of the table we bid farewell to Fiorentina and Perugia who head straight back down, and Frosinone who had outstayed their welcome frankly. Coming up we have lowly Viterbese and Empoli. Then one of these 4 big names - Chievo, Torino, Bari or Udinese. After all the hype I gave Mantova after their terrific start, they plummeted and narrowly avoided relegation finishing 16th.

Notable Players:

Michele Badini - worth mentioning because of his phenomenal price tag and reputation. Known around the world for his talent, its just a shame I've only seen it in glimpses. He ended the season well, hence the decent stats, but overall a bit disappointing so far.

Jimmy Blixt - a real favourite of mine - now trained to LM too meaning he can switch with Quinto whenever they feel necessary. Always chips in with a good number of assists and goals.

Tommaso Cilona - Great season again from the hub and captain of this club. Again weighed in with a good number of goals (half of which were from the spot) and drove the team towards the title. Came 2nd in Italian Player of the Year

Ricki Kumar - New Zealand's finest export! A few goals behind last year's tally but another strong season from the world-class striker. Came 3rd in Serie A Top Goalscorer with 16.

Giordano Liguori - A rare mention for our aging keeper, did very well this season - fought off competition from an up and coming Albanian keeper and was solid all year long. Was rewarded with the GK of the Year Award and made the Serie A Team of the Year.

Roberto Pecoraro - Fast becoming a legend at Savona. He is the first world-class full back I can remember having on FM and is truly the best RB in the world by a long way. Just look at his value! Came 3rd in DF of the Year and also made Serie A Team of the Year.

Info|Serie A Team of the Year|Squad

Next Season:

First thing to amend is our pitch size! I maximized it this year but we actually had our poorest home record for many a year, so back to standard we go :). To be competitive in the CL but most of all to push Milan/Napoli/Roma/Inter/Juve all the way in Serie A. I actually want the Scudetto more than the CL at the minute. Mon Savona :D

End of Season Further News:

Tommaso Cilona was the Fans Player of the Year for the 4th time. Michele Badini made it into the all time Best XI.

Its always the draws rancer...

Anyway pre-season now and a chance to improve the squad again. Unfortunately we lost out on wonderkid 20 year old striker Giuseppe De Falco from Werder. Us, Roma, Napoli and Barcelona chased him for £20m but Roma won the race. Very disappointing.

I've decided I'm going to make 1 big signing, and he's going to be an experienced leader. Wonder who it'll be...

EDIT: It could be Claudio Gambini - remember him? He's 32 now after spending many years at Bayern but could he return to the club he captained for his 3rd spell!?

EDIT 2: Yes he could. He's back \o/

really unlucky iacovone... so close!! you seem to have made some good progress again and with Gambini's help i think the Scudetto could be yours next season. You must REALLY hate Roma by now...

Great season iacovone:thup: Ricki Kumar has finally come good:D.

Meanwhile after getting bored of my Gimnastica save and playing Dafuge's challenge I got bored of FM tbh. But reading about iacovone's Savona team has inspired me to try this out in Italy :D.

Right, i've been away in London for a couple of days and come back to lots of happenings. Firstly, great season iacovone. Just a point made the difference. :thup: Now, onto my February update...

End of February 2010 - C.D. Mirandes - Spanish Second Division B2 (Season 1)

League Results

[b]Mirandes              [/b]2 - 1              Fuerteventura

Ivan Agustin (11)                        Jose Silvano (84)
Miguel Alfonso Own Goal (90+2)

Guijuelo              1 - 1              [b]Mirandes[/b]

Robert (54)                              Xabier Eizagirre (59)

Universidad LP        3 - 1              [b]Mirandes[/b]

Tato (18, 30)                            Mikel Iribas (58)
Dani Borreguero (72)

[b]Mirandes              [/b]2 - 0              Huesca

Hector (34)
Pablo Infante (44)

February went well on the whole. A big win against Huesca was the definite highlight. However, the 3-1 defeat at the hands of Universidad has kept me close to the chasing pack.

Snapshot of the Table

|--------|-------------------|------|----|-----|----|---|---|---|------|
|[b]Position[/b]|[b]Team               [/b]|[b]Played[/b]|[b]Won [/b]|[b]Drawn[/b]|[b]Lost[/b]|[b]GF [/b]|[b]GA [/b]|[b]GD [/b]|[b]Points[/b]|
| [color=SeaGreen]1.  [/color]   |[color=SeaGreen]Leganes            [/color]|[color=SeaGreen]27    [/color]|[color=SeaGreen]19  [/color]|[color=SeaGreen]5    [/color]|[color=SeaGreen]3   [/color]|[color=SeaGreen]57 [/color]|[color=SeaGreen]16 [/color]|[color=SeaGreen]+41[/color]|[color=SeaGreen]62    [/color]|
| [color=DarkOrange]2. [/color]    |[color=DarkOrange]Huesca             [/color]|[color=DarkOrange]27    [/color]|[color=DarkOrange]16  [/color]|[color=DarkOrange]6    [/color]|[color=DarkOrange]5   [/color]|[color=DarkOrange]48 [/color]|[color=DarkOrange]25 [/color]|[color=DarkOrange]+23[/color]|[color=DarkOrange]54    [/color]|
| [color=DarkOrange]3.[/color]     |[color=DarkOrange]Cartagena          [/color]|[color=DarkOrange]27    [/color]|[color=DarkOrange]15  [/color]|[color=DarkOrange]6    [/color]|[color=DarkOrange]6   [/color]|[color=DarkOrange]34 [/color]|[color=DarkOrange]19 [/color]|[color=DarkOrange]+15[/color]|[color=DarkOrange]51    [/color]|
| [color=DarkOrange][b]4. [/b][/color]    |[color=DarkOrange][b]Mirandes           [/b][/color]|[color=DarkOrange][b]27    [/b][/color]|[color=DarkOrange][b]14  [/b][/color]|[b][color=DarkOrange]6    [/color][/b]|[color=DarkOrange][b]7   [/b][/color]|[color=DarkOrange][b]39 [/b][/color]|[color=DarkOrange][b]32 [/b][/color]|[color=DarkOrange][b]+7 [/b][/color]|[color=DarkOrange][b]48    [/b][/color]|
| 5.     |Universidad LP     |27    |12  |9    |6   |48 |27 |+21|45    |
| 6.     |Atletico "B"       |27    |13  |6    |8   |42 |24 |+18|45    |
| 7.     |Palencia           |27    |12  |9    |6   |41 |30 |+11|45    |
| 8.     |Pajara Playas      |27    |11  |10   |6   |34 |24 |+10|43    |

With just over a quarter of the season left the run in will be very close. 1st place is pretty much out of my reach now, and securing a play-off spot is of the highest importance. With just 5 points between 4th and 8th then it is still wide open. Two of my last 11 games are against 1st and 3rd, and I also play Pajara Playas who occupy 8th. That means that 8 of my last 11 games are against clubs outside the top 8, and that should hopefully hand me an advantage of sorts.

This season I have been very pleased with my midfield. They have scored 28 of the 39 goals my team has scored this season so far.

|-------------------|---------------|-----|
|[b]Player             [/b]|[b]Position Played[/b]|[b]Goals[/b]|
|Ivan Agustin       |AMC            |7    |
|Hector             |MC             |5    |
|Xabier Eizagirre   |AML            |5    |
|Pablo Infante      |ST             |5    |
|Ruben Espinosa     |ST             |4    |
|Mikel Iribas       |AMR            |4    |
|Fernando           |AMC/AML        |2    |

iacovone, the draws you had aren't even close to the record, 18 draws in 28 games. :D

I haven't played a lot of my Real Oviedo save due to coursework, but maybe I'll reward myself with a long FM session with Real Oviedo on Friday...

I signed a talented Brazilian, but he's out 2-3 months. :(

Thats fantastic rancer :thup: - get it in the records thread, just had a look and its only at 13 atm :)

iacovone, the draws you had aren't even close to the record, 18 draws in 28 games. :D

I haven't played a lot of my Real Oviedo save due to coursework, but maybe I'll reward myself with a long FM session with Real Oviedo on Friday...

I signed a talented Brazilian, but he's out 2-3 months. :(

The number of draws by the teams in the middle section of the league is really high. Is that a usual trend in the Chinese National First?

The number of draws by the teams in the middle section of the league is really high. Is that a usual trend in the Chinese National First?

I think that was the only season where there were a lot of draws. The next season the draws leveled off..

End of March 2010 - C.D. Mirandes - Spanish Second Division B2 (Season 1)

League Results

Burgos                3 - 0              [b]Mirandes[/b]

Paco Gallardo (24)
Rueda (37)
Enric Maureta (47)

[b]Mirandes              [/b]2 - 0              Fuenlabrada

Pablo Infante (59, 86)

Alcorcon              0 - 2              [b]Mirandes[/b]

Xabier Eizagirre (41, 83)

Palencia              2 - 1              [b]Mirandes[/b]

Hector Pelaez (Pen. 26)                  Ruben Espinosa (74)
David Asensio (45+1)

[b]Mirandes              [/b]4 - 0              Calahorra

Manuel Candelas (1)
Borja Alonso (12)
Ruben Perez (22)
Pablo Infante (35)

March went well. The team managed to win 60% of their games. The defeat against Palencia hindered our progress a little, but a strong 4-0 win at home against Calahorra takes us in to April on a positive note.

Snapshot of the Table

|[b]Position[/b]|[b]Team               [/b]|[b]Played[/b]|[b]Won [/b]|[b]Drawn[/b]|[b]Lost[/b]|[b]GF [/b]|[b]GA [/b]|[b]GD [/b]|[b]Points[/b]|
| [color=SeaGreen]1.   PL[/color]|[color=SeaGreen]Leganes            [/color]|[color=SeaGreen]32    [/color]|[color=SeaGreen]23  [/color]|[color=SeaGreen]6    [/color]|[color=SeaGreen]3   [/color]|[color=SeaGreen]64 [/color]|[color=SeaGreen]17 [/color]|[color=SeaGreen]+47[/color]|[color=SeaGreen]75    [/color]|
| [color=DarkOrange]2.[/color]     |[color=DarkOrange]Huesca             [/color]|[color=DarkOrange]32    [/color]|[color=DarkOrange]19  [/color]|[color=DarkOrange]7    [/color]|[color=DarkOrange]6   [/color]|[color=DarkOrange]57 [/color]|[color=DarkOrange]30 [/color]|[color=DarkOrange]+27[/color]|[color=DarkOrange]64    [/color]|
| [color=DarkOrange]3. [/color]    |[color=DarkOrange]Cartagena          [/color]|[color=DarkOrange]32    [/color]|[color=DarkOrange]17  [/color]|[color=DarkOrange]7    [/color]|[color=DarkOrange]8   [/color]|[color=DarkOrange]42 [/color]|[color=DarkOrange]25 [/color]|[color=DarkOrange]+17[/color]|[color=DarkOrange]58    [/color]|
| [color=DarkOrange][b]4.[/b][/color]     |[color=DarkOrange][b]Mirandes           [/b][/color]|[color=DarkOrange][b]32    [/b][/color]|[color=DarkOrange][b]17  [/b][/color]|[color=DarkOrange][b]6    [/b][/color]|[color=DarkOrange][b]9   [/b][/color]|[color=DarkOrange][b]48 [/b][/color]|[color=DarkOrange][b]37 [/b][/color]|[color=DarkOrange][b]+11[/b][/color]|[color=DarkOrange][b]57    [/b][/color]|
| 5.     |Universidad LP     |32    |15  |10   |7   |58 |29 |+29|55    |
| 6.     |Atletico "B"       |32    |15  |8    |9   |48 |30 |+18|53    |
| 7.     |Burgos             |32    |17  |2    |13  |54 |46 |+8 |53    |
| 8.     |Palencia           |32    |14  |10   |8   |50 |39 |+11|52    |

Over the lats month we have been swapping a number of times with Universidad, and it does seem that the final play-off spot will either go to us or them. We've managed to open a small 2 point gap with just 6 games left, and we will definitely hope to extend that and secure the spot as soon as possible. However, our first game of April is against league leaders Leganes. Gulp.

After my Season as the Softies I might have to "Bring back the Fafe" and show you all that Portugal is the best.

Lovely pun. :D

I enjoyed it in Portugal, and I must say that my victories over Fafe were always the must enjoyable. Thats not even a lie. I have no idea why i'd built this rivalry up in my head with Fafe. :confused:

I think thats quite a respectable result in the Fafe history books. I imagine you have surpassed that then?

Well I have now finished my first season and I have managed to throw away a play-off place in the last couple of games. My end of season update is to come. I'm going to 'steal' iacovones layout as I really like it. Hope thats OK :D

iacovone - just been having a better look at your review - Badini is immense!! you really need to try and get him to perform. he could easily help you complete this challenge all on his own!!!

As for Oviedo... 5 points clear after 11 matches.

EDIT: We've also just qualified for the knockout stages of the CL.... :D

iacovone - just been having a better look at your review - Badini is immense!! you really need to try and get him to perform. he could easily help you complete this challenge all on his own!!!

As for Oviedo... 5 points clear after 11 matches.

EDIT: We've also just qualified for the knockout stages of the CL.... :D

He is indeed immense but for some reason he just hasn't clicked so far for us. I'm considering changing to a 4-2-3-1 formation this season in the hope that we'll just dominate from the off. Kumar is leading the race for that CF spot, Badini and Rotunno just behind him.

Also fantastic start rlipscombe :thup: - could you create history and win both the league and CL in 1 season!?

End of April/May 2010 - C.D. Mirandes - Spanish Second Division B2 (Season 1)

League Results

[b]Mirandes              [/b]1 - 2              Leganes

Xabier Eizagirre (63)                    Mario Fuentes (11)
                                        David Valleros (82)

[b]Mirandes              [/b]2 - 1              Villa Santa Brigada

Pablo Infante (5)                        Roberto Alvarez (3)
Nestor Padron Own Goal (30)

Vecindario            1 - 1              [b]Mirandes[/b]

Sergio Gamiz Own Goal (72)               Ivan Agustin (52)

[b]Mirandes              [/b]1 - 2              Las Palmas At.

Pablo Infante (26)                       Inigo Karaega (17)
                                        Dani Martino (54)

Cartagena             2 - 0              [b]Mirandes[/b]

Samuel Bayon (31)
Carlos Carmona (39)

[b]Mirandes              [/b]1 - 1              Pajara Playas

Pablo Infante (44)                       Aday Santana (32)

C.D. Mirandes End of Season 1 Update (2009/10)

Spanish Second Division B2:

Predicted Finish: 18th

Actual Finish: 7th|Graph

After a very poor pre-season, the league campaign started off very well. We managed to pick up three solid wins despite being outsiders in all of them. Another three wins from the next four games saw us occupy the highest spot we would of all season which was 2nd. Our form stayed with us for the following months and we managed to pick up more wins than draws and losses. This kept us high up the league and we maintained our position in the playoff spots.

After 32 games and going into the last month we sat just within the playoff spots, and we were being pushed by the chasing pack. The month started off with a tough fixture as we played host to Leganes (soon to be champions). We put up a brave fight but didn't take anything from the game. Despite this knock in confidence the team bounced back to take 3 points against a poor Villa Santa Brigada side. The win did not buoy us in any way and we only managed to come away with 1 point from notably weaker sides (Vecindaro and Las Palamas At.), and this poor form continued just when we didn't need it. A loss against our playoff rivals Cartagena sealed the deal, and we missed the playoffs. A draw in the last game meant that we finished the season in the lowest position we had occupied all season, and left us 6 points behind the lowest playoff position.

Despite a disappointing end to the season, I feel the team has done really well, and the final league position goes against all the odds.

Next Seasons Aim:

After a very strong outing this season, and a great league position, I feel that the team can really push for a playoff spot. A few players will be leaving on frees as I don't think they are up to the task, and so this should hopefully pave the way for a couple of fresh (and most importantly talented!) new faces to fight the cause.

This Seasons Key Players:

Xabier Eizagirre - The left winger has most definitely been the star man this season. He has not once failed to perform and has ended the season with a great avaerage of 7.24 from 31 games. He bagged a helpful 8 goals and was the teams second highest scorer.

Borja Alonso - At only 17 he has been a key memeber of my squad at left back. A product of our youth team, he certainly has a bright future. A great average of 7.13 from 36 games, he also managed to score 2 and claim 9 assists. I'm more than delighted with his season, and I hope he takes his form into next season.

Hector - Another youngster at just 18. He was picked up by my scouts at a Spanish trial day and has certainly made an impression in the squad. Played at MC this season and was always a constant threat in midfield. He often controlled the game and managed to score 5 goals.

Ivan Agustin - One of the older players at the club. Played in the AMC position this season, and was very impressive. He was always looking to get onto the ball, and when he did he opened play up well. He always had plenty of chances and converted a fair few too.

Sergio Gamiz - The experienced centre back was a rock this season. He very rarely slipped up in defence.

Youth Products:

Borja Alonso - DRL

Left Foot: Weak

Right Foot: Very Strong

|--------|---------------------------|-------|-------|---------|------|---------|
|[b]Season  [/b]|[b]Division                   [/b]|[b]Games  [/b]|[b]Goals  [/b]|[b]Assists  [/b]|[b]MoMs  [/b]|[b]Rating   [/b]|
|--------|---------------------------|-------|-------|---------|------|---------|
|10/11   |Spanish Second Division B2 |36     |2      |9        |1     |7.13     |
|Total   |                           |36     |2      |9        |1     |7.13     |

Fernando - AMLC

Left Foot: Very Strong

Right Foot: Weak

|[b]Season  [/b]|[b]Division                   [/b]|[b]Games  [/b]|[b]Goals  [/b]|[b]Assists  [/b]|[b]MoMs  [/b]|[b]Rating   [/b]|
|10/11   |Spanish Second Division B2 |7(8)   |2      |0        |0     |6.55     |
|Total   |                           |7(8)   |2      |0        |0     |6.55     |

Awards:

Overachievers: Mirandes

Signing of the Season: 2nd - Hector (£0)

Fans Player of the Year: Xabier Eizagirre

Best XI

The Players of Tomorrow:

Juan Carlos - At just 16 years of age he is already better than my starting DL. I'm also glad a DL came through as I had to play all last season without any cover for that position.

Dave Watts - A very young striker. He's not blessed with finishing, but his physical stats are OK. I've mentioned as its quite interesting that he is English. My coach reckons that he has the potential to be one of the best players at the club. It will be interesting to follow his journey.

Elsewhere in the World:

Spain:

Liga BBVA - 1st Barcelona, 2nd Real Mardrid, 3rd Sevilla.

Spanish Cup - At. Madrid

Spanish Super Cup - Real Madrid

Spanish Federation Cup - Albacete

Player of the Year - Xavi (Barcelona)

Spanish Young Player of the Year - Ignacio Camacho (At. Madrid)

World:

World Cup 2010 - France (England came 4th)

Club World Championship - Roma

European Champions Cup - Arsenal

Euro Cup - PSV

Good solid season there tomsmith :thup:

For you eagle-eyed forumites, you'll have noticed me in dafuge's thread :rolleyes:. Just having a little switcheroo from Savona. My standard routine this is now - expect me back at some point soon no doubt :D

good first season there tomsmith. you appear to be in the same division as me, not seen mirandes in my game yet though. i also got hector at the trials day but as i already had a midfield i chucked him into the U19s and promptly forgot he existed :rolleyes:. by the time i had remembered he had got grumpy so i think in his 2.5 years with me he never played. oops.

anyway, since my Xmas 2010 update i have finished 2 seasons, so once i have the 10/11 write-up sorted i will post it, the rest should follow over the w/e...

iacovone, I thought you were going to try and manage in Asia. :(

And still good first year tomsmith1989, hope you can push for playoffs and promotion next year. :)

Um. Sorry? :o

I had a sudden urge to manage my local team and not an Indian/Malaysian team - apologies rancer - it'll never last knowing me anyway!

Um. Sorry? :o

I had a sudden urge to manage my local team and not an Indian/Malaysian team - apologies rancer - it'll never last knowing me anyway!

i know what you mean... despite my Oviedo 'success' i'm still fighting the temptation to start a second game somewhere..... :o

good first season there tomsmith. you appear to be in the same division as me, not seen mirandes in my game yet though. i also got hector at the trials day but as i already had a midfield i chucked him into the U19s and promptly forgot he existed :rolleyes:. by the time i had remembered he had got grumpy so i think in his 2.5 years with me he never played. oops.

anyway, since my Xmas 2010 update i have finished 2 seasons, so once i have the 10/11 write-up sorted i will post it, the rest should follow over the w/e...

Thanks. Hector has become somewhat of a favourite player of mine. He's certainly made an impact in his first season, and will definitely feature again. May I ask who you're managing? I've probably beaten your team :p:D

2010/11 - C.D. Mirandes - Spanish Second Division B2 - Pre-Season (Season 2)

Friendlies

Bembibre                0 - 0              [b]Mirandes[/b]

[b]Mirandes                [/b]1 - 4              Numancia

Sergio Gamiz (90+1)                        Franco Miranda (10)
                                          Sergio Gamiz Own Goal (44)
                                          Roberto Platero (79)
                                          Toni Moral (89)

C.D. Laguna             0 - 2              [b]Mirandes[/b]

Pablo Infante (68, 79)

Arandina                0 - 2              [b]Mirandes[/b]

Ruben Espinosa (29)
                                          Javi Casares (31)

Monzon                  0 - 3              [b]Mirandes[/b]

Hector (20)
                                          Ruben Espinosa (25)
                                          Paul Hurtado (78)

A slow start to the pres-season friendlies was short lived. A good solid finish in the last three games puts us into a good rythym for the start of the competitive season.

Transfers

In/Out Overview

In

Eneko Txopitea - DC

A couple of players left as their contracts ran out and so I needed to bring in a new DC. He'll fit into the team very well.

Javi Casares - AMRL, FC

Javi Casares is my first money signing of my career at Mirandes. I was handed a £30k transfer budget and decided to splash £26k of that on Casares. Accoriding to my scouts he was definitely worth it, and I agree. Hopefully he'll become a star at the club.

Paco Monteagudo - GK

My second season, and my second GK. I was really just looking for a substitute GK as I didn't have a good sub keeper. Instead I ended up getting someone who is better than my previous number 1. That should hopefully cut down on the goals conceeded this year.

Paul Hurtado - AMR, ST

Another result of a trial day. I decided to sign him as I had someone who plays the exact same role in the squad as Hurtado is going to, but who isn't anywhere near as good.

Out

Numerous players released at the back end of last season due to contract expiries.

Note: I've decided to stop my monthly updates and stick to just 2 or 3 a season. It'll be an update after the pre-season, and update probably in January, and then an end of season update.

Universidad de Oviedo - Segunda Division B2 - 2010/2011

Situation at Christmas

We were relatively safely enconsced in mid-table but, given last season's shenanigans, we needed to be aware of what was going on below. When we went 0-2 down at home to Huesca in our first game of 2011, I started to have worrying feelings again. But somehow we stormed back and won the match in injury time. We followed this with a respectable defeat at a good Leganés side.

And there followed a pattern of home wins and away defeats. We were pulling away from any danger below and solidifying our midtable position. This was until we finally got an away point at Navalcarnero which woke us right up. And put us on an unexpected 9 match undefeated run. Which took us to the heights of 6th place. Admittedly most of the away matches were draws and our opponents weren't the best in the division but we weren't complaining. And we won 8 in a row at home. Until the best team in the division (Atletico B) came to town and left with a 1-0 victory. We also lost our last game of the season as well. But thankfully so did several other teams around us so we finished in a very good 7th place. Our home record was fantastic (13-1-5) whilst we improved our away record a bit. On top of that more goals were scored, less conceded, all in all a vast improvement. This shows nicely where our run started and the fact that we were never in any real danger of promotion or relegation.

Squad

Summary- still steadily making money whilst doing nothing

Transfers - Nieto was a total bust but at least made me money, Casquero was unnecessary, Invernon did his backup job well whilst the other 2 played well.

Here are the top performers:

Best GK - Chema - again the only gk, yet to miss a match whilst I am here, and again did his job perfectly fine, not going to get me promoted but neither is he going to prevent it, I am not looking for a replacement but certainly won't turn one down

Best Defender - Eneko Herrera - still only 18 and getting better, another commanding season, his percentage of winning headers must be somewhere close to 95%, hopefully here for years to come, lots of Segunda Division clubs are sniffing around but he shows no sign of wanting to leave

Best Right Winger - Ibai Rejas - had joined in January 2010 and immediately became first choice, very impressive season, fantastic number of assists, can't really see anyone replacing him so am hoping for more of the same

2nd Best Left Winger - Arman Imaz- had been ever present and played well the season before but started this season off even better, missed the odd game until February when he missed 6 weeks, up to that point he was first choice, from then on he wasn't, and next season he won't be either, which is a little unjust but it will soon be evident why...

Best Left Winger - Walter - here is the reason, had been a (very good) backup for 18 months until that injury, he then came in and was utterly brilliant, undroppable so he played the last 15 games, made me wonder why he was not first choice before :rolleyes:, anyway that was enough to win him the Player of the Year award, so for the 2nd year it goes to a supposed backup, unlike Espeleta he won't be leaving but will hopefully stay, and if he gets injured I have a fantastic backup

Best Striker - Carlitos - brought in to score goals and that is what he did, like Sanchez the season before, he had dodgy spells but when he played well he scored regularly, is probably not the solution I was looking for but if he ended up as first choice again it would not be the end of the world.

Well, 7th was better than I was expecting so I will accept that again. Unless some great players come in during the Summer, I can't see a promotion push happening next season (maybe the one after). And I don't really see great players coming in as my scouts seem incapable of finding them and those who are good go elsewhere. I suspect I will be stuck like this until at our reputation changes from local; despite the monthly profits, turning pro is a long way off, I think we will be promoted before that happens....

Players (great or not) that I would like to get hold are a DC friend for Herrera (failed last Summer), a DR (I trust Somoza probably less than I should) and a potent ST unless Fonseca turns into that.

Best 11

Overall Best 11 - very little change from the previous season.

09/10 - Segunda Division B2 - 12th

10/11 - Segunda Division B2 - 7th

Real Oviedo Watch - 5th in 2B1 (one point from the playoffs)

A good season there Ghostwriter :thup: You never know, you may be bale to sneak a playoff place next season. Herrera looks fanatstic. A true talent at 18, and should develop nicely. Its wonderful having a young talent at the club. I'm trying to nuture Borja Alonso into a star. He's had interest in him from Liga Adelante sides Castilla and Sevilla Atletico. Hopefully, I won't lose him too soon.

Oh, and I haven't met your side either. Maybe in the future.

Wow guys good work all around, standing out for me was news Rlipscombe was on track to be our first completion. (Lets get iacovone fired up hehe), of course he will still be beaten by Fafe, but its nice to have a target to shoot at.

again, getting ahead of ourselves a bit!! :p only played 13 league games.....

I always get ahead of myself, thats why the end of season my teams fall apart, I congratulate them on winning the title with 12 games to go and we end up 12th :)

we finished top of our CL group in the end. :cool: Let's see who we get.

Any Fafe news Des?

Good news - Sitting top after 4 games. The only team to still have a 100% record in the league. :D Beat Huesca who finsihed 2nd last season away from home! Also, my defence have now tightened up a little. Only conceeded 2 goals, and managed to score 10 so far. Hopefully this won't jinx it, although knowing the FM forums it most probably will.

Archived