JoseRR's FM09 Big Euro Nation Challenge!

I am currently taking a run as the Softies in the Wallace vs Roberts thread. :) But should be back on the ball soon.

are you? ok. hope you're not doing too well... ;) C'mon Monkeys!! neglected that thread far too much this year... :( keep meaning to pop in.

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
are you? ok. hope you're not doing too well... ;) C'mon Monkeys!! neglected that thread far too much this year... :( keep meaning to pop in.

Just started my season in the Championship after seeing the Monkeys almost hit back to back relegations. Softies for Life!

Real Oviedo End of season update 2010/2011

Having started with no players we put together a team of La Liga rejects in the hope that there quality would shine through at the lower level. It was a pain staking process with lots of our targets being snatched from under our noses by Liga Adelante thieves. However we did manage to sign some great players including a Serbian lad released by Barcelona Goran Maric. Maric played a pivotal role throughout the season scoring 18 goals in 42 games. Our other forward is known simply as Uri whom I immediately nicknamed ‘Bender’ as homage to his strange Romanian namesake. Bender amassed a total of 17 goals in 31 games. Although more prolific, Maric was the superior striker in terms of all round play. They are both attracting a lot of interest and we may well lose them in the summer. We also found an animal for the centre of the midfield in Naxto Garro signed on a free having been released by Alaves.

Anyway onto the business of results we started the season strongly and soon found ourselves mixing at the top of the table. By Christmas we were battling for third or fourth. We then went on an unbeaten run stretching 14 games which ensured we would finish 4th and enter the promotion play-offs. We were drawn against Girona. We spanked them 4-1 at home and 6-2 on aggregate to progress. We then came across Real Union who had topped the table in our group. They were by far the strongest team all season and we were the only team to defeat them in the regular season. We battled hard and over both legs and edged them out 2-1 on aggregate. We then scraped through 1 nil on agg versus Sevilla Atletico. PROMOTION!!!

We made a healthy profit each month which has left us with 2.7mil in the bank. Hopefully we will get some of this to spend on players and some much needed quality in defence. The aim for next season is to stay up and start building a squad capable of promotion to La Liga.

Well pleased with the start and I now have the FM bug back again. Enjoying reading peoples reports keep it up.

congrats yababo - promotion in first season is always satisfying!! and good to hear you have the bug back - who wouldn't managing Real Oviedo??? ;)

EDIT: CL draw has been made. We'll play........ Bayer Leverkusen. Could have been worse with Chelsea having been a possible opponent...

That's a good draw rlipscombe, good luck :thup:

cheers. a while before games are played yet. i looked at their group and they qualified as runners-up to Arsenal. The other teams were Beitar Jerusalem and CFR Cluj, so not the toughest opposition.....

No not really. Have you looked at their squad? Any stars?

i noticed they had Lukas Podolski, but that was as far as i got. will have a better look nearer the tie. Just entered the transfer window so need to hope none of my players get unsettled..... :(

Universidad de Oviedo - Segunda Division 2B - Christmas 2010

Well, the Summer was even quieter this year; a few players left at the end of their contract but only 2 came in. At least the 2 were 2 of my principal needs; as I got a good DC and a better DR. Again my scouts failed to find many players that were better than whom I already had. Which either means they are useless or I struck lucky with the players during my first Summer at the club.

We won all our pre-season games except the one against our parent club Castellon (got them last Summer but they have been of little use so far).

First game of the season was the Copa del Rey and was the first (and hopefully not last) Oviedo Derby. They beat us 1-0 with a late winner, not great. And seeing as we failed to score in our first 2 games as well, picking up just one point, I started to worry about my strikeforce who now numbered 3 and a 16yo. Thankfully one of the dire promoted clubs were next to visit so that gave us a chance to score a few goals.

Like last season we won at home and failed to win away. This continued until the Game 9 where we were 3-3-3 and very midtable. Then suddenly we went on a 6 match winning streak, 5 in a row without conceding a goal. This was taking us to the giddy heights of 4th place. A draw next up and we were 3rd. Obviously this run had to come to an end and we picked up 1 point in the next 2 games. A win over Móstoles later and we entered Christmas in a very nice if slightly unexpected 4th place.

So, a promotion push might be on this season...

As you can see from the table there are 3 groups; the top 2 are way out front (Universidad LP principally because of this beast of a youth product - what I'd give to have a striker like him) whilst 5 of the promoted teams are truly truly awful (Portugalete have not even scored a goal for 11 GAMES ffs! :eek:). Most of the rest of us have a chance at 3rd or 4th.

As there are only 4 points between 3rd and 10th I can't be too confident of staying where we are. If we beat last seasons position and total I will be happy enough.

We are winning quite a few games by 1 goal and sooner or later the other team is going to get that goal back. Defensively we are pretty sound but despite the fact that we have scored in every single game apart from those first 2, we have only scored more than 2 3 times and I am still not that sold on my strikers. We are also currently unbeaten at home.

Even if we do finish in the playoffs I would not be too confident of passing, and if somehow we do get promoted, next season in D2 does not bear thinking about, it would be a total and utter massacre. I know that already.

Good news - Sitting top after 4 games. The only team to still have a 100% record in the league. :D Beat Huesca who finsihed 2nd last season away from home! Also, my defence have now tightened up a little. Only conceeded 2 goals, and managed to score 10 so far. Hopefully this won't jinx it, although knowing the FM forums it most probably will.

That was a bad idea. Now lost the next two games. :(

Its the Forumites Jinx. We all have experienced it.

many a time.... :( that's why i mainly stay quiet.

Just rejected offer worth £17.7 million from Barcelona for Dixon. the battle to keep him begins..... :(

many a time.... :( that's why i mainly stay quiet.

Just rejected offer worth £17.7 million from Barcelona for Dixon. the battle to keep him begins..... :(

now rejected my third bid from Barcelona worth £25.5 million... As yet, still no complaints.....

now rejected my third bid from Barcelona worth £25.5 million... As yet, still no complaints.....

Just looked at the most recent screenshot (I think) I could find. He does look like a real talent. Reckon you've got a price? Hope the board don't intervene.

Good advice. I sold way too many players to Roma/AC Milan. Man, am I paying the price for that :(

Are those the ones doing better than your current crowd? ;)

On Selling rules I had a few.

1) Only sell if the deal will save your finances

2) And you have a cheaper replacement

3) Never, ever sell to any nations Big 4

I think that was how I lived my Fafe game to this stage.

Casale 2009/10 Season Preview

I needed to give this challenge another go, so I thought I should go back to Casale. This time, I decided to try and keep a bit of the original squad and some youths. However, to get sufficent depth and players to stay up this season, I needed to make some transfers.

Transfers

Notable Signings (Not including Loans)

Dani Rado

Alessandro Chevalliez

Fabio Cozza

Squad

Pre Season Friendlys

Nearly no one accepted my friendly offers, not even my parent club, Sampdoria :(

Castellarano 2-3 Casale

Casale 2-1 Figline

Serie C Cup Group

Decent group, no one from Serie C/1.

Season Targets

League - Mid Table Finish

Serie C Cup - Get past the group stage I think is achievable

Future Transfers - I need to strengthen my keeper spot, so I'll be on the lookout for a good keeper.

Yes I was quite happy when my scout found him, also surprised he went to Spain first.

Anyway, we finished 3rd in our Cup group, with 2 wins and 2 loses, and have started the season similary, with 1 win and 1 loss...

I've got a major inury crisis currently, with about 8-9 of my players out for 6+ weeks :( Oh, and i've run out of strikers.

I've got a major inury crisis currently, with about 8-9 of my players out for 6+ weeks :( Oh, and i've run out of strikers.

Hmm thats a bit of an issue! Loans are your friend!

I have noticed the injuries as well, they seem to be rife in 9.0.3, but only in newer games, the long term game started on an earlier version seem fine...

Universidad de Oviedo - Segunda Division 2B - 2011/2012

Table at Christmas

Given the closeness of the table we needed a good start to 2012 which we got with 2 impressive away victories without conceding a goal. Then Burgos came to visit and despite twice taking the lead we lost our unbeaten home record. Worse was to follow as we chucked a 2-0 lead with 10 minutes to go at one of the dreadful promoted clubs :rolleyes:. Our poor form continued as we suddenly forgot how to score (or concede for that matter) and got 2 consecutive 0-0 draws at home.

A very unexpected rout of Guijuelo steadied the ship but it was now the turn of our away form to go to pot, 3 straight defeats (admittedly sandwiching 2 home wins) sent us down to the lower reaches of the top 10, albeit still only a few points from 4th. Vecindario had gone on a storming run and were miles away in 3rd so there was only 4th left to play for.

Thankfully, the next away match after the last of those defeats, an absolute thrashing by Rayo, was at the bottom side, Portugalete. We won, although we did make it difficult as they scored more than 1 goal for only the 4th time in the season. This perked us into life and we won the next 3 as well without conceding a goal. With the teams around us all playing each other and dropping points all over the shop this shot us back up unto the top 5. A 5th straight win (a great performance against 3rd placed Vecindario) and favourable results elsewhere and we were back in 4th. It was now between 3 clubs for that elusive final playoff spot. 5th and 6th played on the Saturday and picked up only 1 point between them. This left it all in our own hands; 5 points from our last 3 games and we were there and as 2 of these games were home matches against teams in the bottom 6 I was pretty confident.

We thrashed Alfaro and drew at Las Palmas B so a point in our last match at home to Móstoles was needed. We strolled to a nice and easy 4-1 win so playoffs here we come :cool:.....unfortunately with a decimated strike-force as both my first choice strikers got injured in that match and would miss the first leg.

Ideally this is where I would end the post and try to build up some tension for the playoff results but unfortunately that is not necessary as we were pretty much already out after 32 minutes of the first leg as Gramenet took a 2-0 lead at our place :(. We only conceded 1 more goal in the rest of the tie but 0-3 was how it ended. A bit of a disappointing end to the season as we never got into the playoff at all but 4th place is much better than I would ever had hoped for at the beginning of the season. The freefall to 9th during our poor run in January shows how close the table was at that stage, also that the fact that it only took us a few weeks to get back in the top 5.

Not exactly sure what has made the difference as 8 of the first team (and 4 of the first choice bench) were here 2 years ago during the relegation struggle but overall I can only be happy with the season. Apart from a few nightmares our defence was very solid and both the new DC and DR were first choices and played well, whilst despite my continued concerns about my strike force we ended up being the joint 3rd top scorers. Our home record was very very good (14-4-1) but everyone seems to play well at home in this division (2 teams were unbeaten and another 6 only lost once) and it was away from home that made the difference compared to others.

Squad

Summary - more steady if not exactly huge income

Transfers - the 2 defenders were great, Gutierrez was a curious case, he arrived after the Summer deadline so could not be registered until December and by that stage he was very unhappy about not playing and there was no pleasing him so in the end I gave up and got rid asap

The stars of the season were:

Best GK - Chema - has still to miss a game for us, and still playing perfectly acceptably, average rating has been more or less the same each season, as I keep saying he won't be the reason we get promoted but neither will he be the reason we don't, still not actively searching for a replacement but sooner or later one will crop up in the free transfer market

Best Defender - Eneko Herrera - even better than before, a towering prescence in the air and solid on the ground as well, and still only 19 and I would say already one of the best defenders in the division, thankfully no other club has made a concerted effort to get him yet and he is very happy to be here

2nd Best Right Winger / Right Back - Josep Manel Ayala - one of the Season 1 Andorrans and his best season to date, filled in admirably when Rejas was injured and played so well he took his place from time to time as well, scored a few cracking goals, also played his fair share at DR when needed and is a cracking player to have on the bench, was half-expecting him to be the 3rd "backup" to win the Player of the Year award but it was not to be, will never be first choice but am hoping for more of the same as a backup

Best Right Winger - Ibai Rejas - better than last season as well, much fewer assists but many more goals, loves cutting in from the wing and shooting, most of his goals have come that way, am looking for something similar next season

Best Left Winger - Walter - a bit lower av rating but that is because of the final few games where he came back from injury and got chucked straight back into the starting XI, a very high number of assists, one of the most in the division, chips in with the odd goal from time to time as well, Player of the Year again, can only ask for the same next year

Best Striker - Juan Sanchez - I did not really realise how good he was at the time but with hindsight he had an absolutely fantastic season, was involved in nearly half of the goals the team scored, 18 goals is an impressive amount, the 12 assists on top was an unexpected bonus, not as good on paper as the other strikers but when he is in form he is pretty unstoppable, with my continued search for another striker, I don't know what role he will have next season but anything similar in the way of returns will do nicely

My aims for this season have to be to at least match last season, so the playoffs again please, and hopefully a bit more success there. Don't know whether I can do that with this squad but lets see what the Summer brings. I hope this playoff push will have changed my reputation from Local but I have a suspicion that is dependant on promotion and / or turning pro.

Speaking of which my main needs are a good solid 3rd DC (my main backup is not that great and will be leaving), some semblance of a central midfield (ideally would like 2 players to come in) and my hunt for a profilic ST will continue (I need to get at least one ST in any case as I don't fancy going thru the season again with only 3 of them (one who is very injury prone) and a youth who has so far failed to score). I do have capable U19s for each of those positions but they are not yet good enough to play regularly so I'd prefer to only use them as 4th/5th choice backups...

Best 11

Oveall Best 11 - again not much change as most of the first choice team still contains the players I got in my first Summer here

09/10 - Segunda Division B2 - 12th

10/11 - Segunda Division B2 - 7th

11/12 - Segunda Division B2 - 4th (lost in Second Phase Playoff First Round)

Real Oviedo Watch - 10th in 2B1 (bit disappointing after the 5th of the previous season)

Thought I would add a quick update on the youths that have so far come up thru our academy...

Eneko Herrera - well, you know all about him, had just been promoted when I joined and already at 19 is the best player at the club and one of the best defenders in the whole division

Nicolás Ortiz - the top prospect 2 Summers back, took him a season to be retrained as a DL and spent last season as the back up DL, played well enough when called upon (even a few games at ML during an injury crisis) and he will be the same again, in the U19s until Ezequiel injures himself, with a bit of improvement he could be challenging the first choice role in the not too distant future, failing that he at least has a future in this division with some club

Roberto - came thru with Ortiz but played for the first team much sooner, a few injuries the season before last meant he played a fair few games, last season much less due to Alex arriving, will be 3rd/4th choice again, if he improves a bit I reckon he has a chance of being at least a good squad player

Javier Rosa - came thru 2 seasons ago as well and I realised last Summer that he was not bad at all, made one sub appearance last season and will probably be 4th/5th choice this season,

Francisco Pascual - best prospect from last Summer and does not look bad at all, he played for more than I would ever have wanted him to last season and well, he was pretty useless to be honest, I hope he can spend the whole of this season in the U19s scoring a few and then next season he might be good enough to be a reserve

The above was all written before the end of season update (which was needed for the Best 11s etc.), but coming up thru the youth system this Summer was this guy...

Federico - given that not only is he already better than my first choice DL but also my first choice ML (twice Player of the Year, remember) I think it is safe to say that he is a pretty good prospect, as I am happy enough with those 2 players, he won't be playing as much Herrera did in his first season but he will undoubtedly at least be on the bench for most matches, he could be very very good

And what is it with GKs? I have had 10 come thru in the 4 Summers I have been here. A couple actually aren't too bad but why so many?

i've stayed faithful to 9.2.0. to be fair thats because i'm onto a good thing so far and don't want to jeopordise it..... :D
Probably for the best! Although I don't recall upgrading to 9.3 causing me any noticeable problems
opnce i finish my Oviedo game i will probably upgrade, but i'm not risking it!!

Yeah I had no problems with the upgrade, other than my new games being injury prone, haha, oh and I don't seem to draw anymore :)

Hmmm... the thing is though is that my Gundo's Challenge save was also started on patch 9.3.0, and I hardly get injuries on that game.

I can't seem to be able to draw anymore either, my league form

W-L-W-L-W

It's consistent if nothing else :D

Well my journey with Eivissa Ibiza continues, finally promoted to La Liga after 3 tough seasons in Liga Adelante, my promotion clinched on the last day of the season when Eijdo lost away to 5th placed Alaves.

Surprisingly only given a £4.5m kitty in the summer, with my priority positions being central defence, left back (my only left back departed for is release clause to Besiktas in January - the other retired) and goalkeeper.

3 signings were made, Emir Faccioli arriving from Lanus for £3.2m release fee, George Forsyth came from Portsmouth and slotted nicely into goal for £1m, and a £300k loan fee (£2m future fee) for Kieran Gibbs from Arsenal to fill the void at left back.

Lineup for the 2012-13 La Liga campaign:

GK - George Forsyth

DL - Keiran Gibbs

DC - Emir Faccioli

DC - Francisco Pavon

DR - Jean Manuel-Babin

MC - Jerry Kangmang

MC - Nebosa Marinkovic

MC - Sergio Roberto (regen)

AML - Alberto Narvaez (regen)

AMR - Sebastian Blanco

FC - Jabuti / Ivan Alonso

In the short term my squad is weak. Whilst Faccioli is clearly a capable defender and will only improve, Gibbs isn't mine yet, Pavon is 33 and Babin is pretty poor. Forsyth has proved to be a good capture in goal and has kept me in a couple of games, but I can't rely on him forever.

In midfield I've got a good enough number of regens coming through, Narvaez being particularly impressive at 18, and Roberto slightly more consistent at 20. Marinkovic and Blanco in particular are solid players and would probably slot into all but the top 4 teams, my only real deficiency here is experience and a quality DM, but with no money there's not much I can do this season!

Up front also needs a bit of work, Jabuti is pacey (18 accel + pace) and scores a few, but with finishing only 14 and turning 30 later in the season he's not La Liga quality. His backup, Alonso (33) is better in the air but only scored 4 times in 20 Liga Adelante outings so I'm not expecting much of an impact from the bench. My glimmer of hope is a respectable looking Italian regen I landed from Milan last season on a free, who is a better finisher but has no first team experience. The core is there, and I think if I can hold the team together and add a defender, midfielder and striker next season I might sneak the last UEFA spot.

As for this season, I'm currently 11th after 12 games, winning 4, drawing 4 and losing 4. The real surprise is that Deportivo and Gimnastic have not picked up a single point this season, which means I'm closer to the top of the table (only 8 points!) than the bottom!

Out of interest how much money is up for grabs in La Liga for mid-table positions?

First game back, I lose 4-1 to my rivals. I personally liked the draws better.

Great, my second is a 1-0 loss, so October was an ordinary month.

1-1 draw (away)

1-1 draw (home)

1-4 loss (away)

0-1 loss (away)

:(

Hopefully November will be a bit better.

Archived