Football Manager 2019 Official Feedback Thread

Biggest downside for this year's FM from your pov ?  

66 members have voted

1. 1. What really annoy you this year while playing FM19 ?

• Players moaning for new contracts too often
    • Gegenpressing tactic too powerful
    • Youngsters determination decreasing despite tutoring
    • IA still stockpiling players at a specific position/low teambuilding
    • Calendar bug ,only 1 day to recover between 2 officials games, especially a the end of the season (Obviously, i'm not talking about the Boxing day)
    • International call-ups issues (players unavailable for Champions League final etc...)

This poll is closed to new votes

My first goal in an official match on 19.2:

Rigoni has run with the ball from the edge of our area after we successfully defended a corner kick (defending a CK is often a great chance for counter, too bad AI tends to have very few esp smaller club like this!). It was a nice central run by Rigoni, this is what I like to see now he could reward the run of Zapata or maybe try an ambitious solo run beating his man... I'd be fine with both choices though a through ball with his Very Strong left foot (right foot also Very Strong) in the space would be nice here...

... nope. Rigoni kills all the momentum holding up ball and playing a BACKWARDS lateral pass to the right back.

Right back then manages to go past his man and cross to far post where left winger connects with a spectacular volley shot. Obviously will need to play much more before giving proper feedback but I really hated this goal...

EDIT: sorry I messed up with screenshots I'm terrible with this

Edited by kandersson

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, RobertPage said:

Also off topic, i really hope SI the rigid release periods of major updates is abandoned in terms of ME changes. 1: I don't think its good enough to leave the ME in this way until march. 2: Having the final major update just 4 months after release is something i cant understand, especially when there are still blatantly obvious flaws.

SI have not said there won't be anymore updates before the third major update.

2 minutes ago, Becanes said:

SI have not said there won't be anymore updates before the third major update.

They don't say much to be fair. Going off memory (a hell of a lot of room for error there :') ), it hasnt happened often over the past few years and is unlikely to happen. 

5 horas atrás, themadsheep2001 disse:

It actually does, because balance is the key. You can't have through balls at every opportunity either, you can't have players make the right decisions either. So how few is too few is very much part of the answer, it always is

I think what people are saying is that a player with 18 vision, 18 passing or above .. cant deliver that killer pass or for the most part of the situations it just pass to the wings.. 

14 minutes ago, RobertPage said:

Personally i kind of agree. I think "through balls" aren't necessarily a key to creating chances. What are more important are good passes to players in dangerous positions (Strikers in the box), and their ability to control the ball with limited space and to turn and create a small space to get shots away. Like you say, the slow turning is an issue. Not often do you see a player receive the ball on a half turn and play it the opposite way to which it came from, or even drive on into space. Fix this along with off the ball movement and players running with the ball into space with conviction (to draw in defenders to link up with other players, or to even beat them) and then you'll immediately see defenders being pulled out of position and teams losing defensive shape.

all that worked nicely in fm17, like one-touch passing forwards, solid off the ball movement, one-two's around penatlty area. it's beyond me how it got that worse two years later. i don't get it.

14 minutes ago, RobertPage said:

but i would take a ME that allow different style of football to be played and have unrealistic stats (to an extent). It needs to be fun again.

for me both elements are lacking currently, also the rewamped tactical system doesn't replicate real football more than fm17 had. 

11 minutes ago, RobertPage said:

They don't say much to be fair. Going off memory (a hell of a lot of room for error there :') ), it hasnt happened often over the past few years and is unlikely to happen. 

I think with the public beta they might be doing things a little different this year.  At least I hope so.

1 minute ago, Becanes said:

I think with the public beta they might be doing things a little different this year.  At least I hope so.

I hope so too. Still a lot of progress to be made with communication as well. Much has been spoken about this in recent times. Having some of the SI team show up and reply to the odd comment here and there isn't really enough. Clear statements regarding current problems and plans to fix them need to be made, and need to be made on a consistent basis (bi-Weekly at best, Monthly at worst)

Also back to the updates. These have been the release dates for the last few previous games

16.2.0 December 16th

16.3.0 March 4th

17.2.0 December 15th

17.3.0 March 1st

18.2.0 December 14th

18.3.0 March 1st

19.2.0 December 11th

Not much flexibility at all.

Just now, RobertPage said:

I hope so too. Still a lot of progress to be made with communication as well. Much has been spoken about this in recent times. Having some of the SI team show up and reply to the odd comment here and there isn't really enough. Clear statements regarding current problems and plans to fix them need to be made, and need to be made on a consistent basis (bi-Weekly at best, Monthly at worst)

Also back to the updates. These have been the release dates for the last few previous games

16.2.0 December 16th

16.3.0 March 4th

17.2.0 December 15th

17.3.0 March 1st

18.2.0 December 14th

18.3.0 March 1st

19.2.0 December 11th

I hear what you are saying but again I think this year is different.  First they gave us the public beta.  And I believe they said when they have something else for us to test, they will reopen the public beta.  I assume that to mean a different version of the match engine as well.  I guess we will see but my trust is in SI.

1 minute ago, Becanes said:

I hear what you are saying but again I think this year is different.  First they gave us the public beta.  And I believe they said when they have something else for us to test, they will reopen the public beta.  I assume that to mean a different version of the match engine as well.  I guess we will see but my trust is in SI.

I'd like to be as optimistic as you. A lot of the problems reported since update 19.2.0 were reported in the beta, so i am struggling :')

Honestly I'm a bit confused by the people complaining about the CAM not having any impact on a game. I've been bringing Curtis Jones through at Liverpool in the CAM position playing as a APs and so far this season he's provided more assists than anybody else in my team. In fact since the most recent update, he's actually been less effective. I'm hoping it's just a drop in form. But either way, I feel it's only right to prove it can be successful. Or I'm just showing off lol.

I have to agree that the long shots in this update are back to the ridiculous level they were at in FM18. It's just that now they fly into the top corner rather than hit the corner flag! :lol:

Football Manager 2019 12_12_2018 18_40_18.png

Football Manager 2019 12_12_2018 18_40_45.png

Football Manager 2019 12_12_2018 18_44_44.png

2 minutes ago, RobertPage said:

I'd like to be as optimistic as you. A lot of the problems reported since update 19.2.0 were reported in the beta, so i am struggling :')

I am an optimistic person by nature.  I know for sure they are working on improving the ME.  It's a complicated ME and they have to keep the knock on affects in check.  Hopefully that improvement will be something we all like.  

3 minutes ago, Tom8983 said:

Honestly I'm a bit confused by the people complaining about the CAM not having any impact on a game. I've been bringing Curtis Jones through at Liverpool in the CAM position playing as a APs and so far this season he's provided more assists than anybody else in my team. In fact since the most recent update, he's actually been less effective. I'm hoping it's just a drop in form. But either way, I feel it's only right to prove it can be successful. Or I'm just showing off lol.

I have to agree that the long shots in this update are back to the ridiculous level they were at in FM18. It's just that now they fly into the top corner rather than hit the corner flag! :lol:

Football Manager 2019 12_12_2018 18_40_18.png

Football Manager 2019 12_12_2018 18_40_45.png

Football Manager 2019 12_12_2018 18_44_44.png

Stats in the game only offer limited feedback. Have a look at the assists. You may find that a lot of them aren't really from creating good goal scoring opportunities, but are instead just passes/crosses that lead to a goal. I expect a lot of those assists would have been crosses or a short pass that resulted in another player scoring from long shots. That's been my experience anyway

il y a 52 minutes, mrjooleo a dit :

I think what people are saying is that a player with 18 vision, 18 passing or above .. cant deliver that killer pass or for the most part of the situations it just pass to the wings.. 

You got it

Or that players with 19 dribbling 19 technique can't dribble

Sadly strikers are still completely broken. No movement whatsoever and a DLP on support acts like a poacher who constantly sits on the shoulder of defenders and offers nothing. The ME has just too many flaws making the game not enjoyable anymore.

1 minute ago, evilpimp972 said:

You got it

I think a big part of the problem in this is that since roles became dominant, player attributes have become less and less significant. In the case of top level players, the risk profile - especially in the final third is all wrong - in reality top players will try much riskier options (because they know they are much more likely to pull them off) and can stand much closer attention from the opposition that the ME allows - this latter affecting both dribbling and passing as the mE is too risk averse about nearby players,

The ability ramp given by player attributes should handle this, so that the same roles and formation plays significantly differently at different levels.  Currently that differential is nowhere near great enough.

27 minutes ago, RobertPage said:

You may find that a lot of them aren't really from creating good goal scoring opportunities, but are instead just passes/crosses that lead to a goal

A pass or a cross that leads to a goal is creating a good goal scoring opportunity. But here, have a look for yourself. Here's 7 of the 8 assists. A few nice through balls, couple of passes, and the typical long ball over the top for Salah too. The other one was a shot that hit the post and somebody got the tap in. I'm certainly happy that as my CAM APs he is acting how he should be. I'll have to spam a little due to the max size of file I'm allowed to attach, so sorry to everybody for that.

Actually just looked, all of the vids are oversized, so that's a bit of a pain!

Edited by Tom8983

7 minutos atrás, evilpimp972 disse:

You got it

My wide players get the ball and run run run passing 2 or 3 players without making a single driblle.. or at least that at the 3D animation is telling me. And my box to box is the same and score 3 screamers in 5 matches it diferent type of opponents  

31 minutes ago, RobertPage said:

Stats in the game only offer limited feedback. Have a look at the assists. You may find that a lot of them aren't really from creating good goal scoring opportunities, but are instead just passes/crosses that lead to a goal. I expect a lot of those assists would have been crosses or a short pass that resulted in another player scoring from long shots. That's been my experience anyway

This. 

The key things to consider in the analysis tool are:

- What does the relationship between your AP and PF look like in terms of passing combinations?

- How involved is the PF in the game? How many touches does he have in the opposition penalty area?

- What do passes from your AP over the course an entire game tell you about which way he is facing and the direction  trend of said passes?  

i'm playing the me 1922 since it came to the Public Beta . And all i am seeing is  blocked crosses, blocked shots , STILL too many red cards (often double red cards for the same team)  .. I mean what is this ? A Worldclass Player like Salah is shooting the ball into defenders like he's receiving a bonus for it ... Sorry but this is no fun to watch. I am actually FORCED to watch extended highlights or i'd go nuts . Feels like players vision is 0,0 . They smashing the ball at the defender like they dont see there is a defender there . And the Pass completion for "bad teams" is so overpowered ... Been playing against a team from 6th league in germany , i had 76% possession and they had a pass completion of 76% ?!?!? how is this even possible . 

22 minutes ago, Tom8983 said:

A pass or a cross that leads to a goal is creating a good goal scoring opportunity. But here, have a look for yourself. Here's 7 of the 8 assists. A few nice through balls, couple of passes, and the typical long ball over the top for Salah too. The other one was a shot that hit the post and somebody got the tap in. I'm certainly happy that as my CAM APs he is acting how he should be. I'll have to spam a little due to the max size of file I'm allowed to attach, so sorry to everybody for that.

Best thing to do is either put them altogether and post a link to a youtube video or something. That takes time, so if not just step by step screenshots are pretty useful 

22 minutes ago, Tom8983 said:

God bless Youtube.

15 minutes ago, rdbayly said:

This. 

The key things to consider in the analysis tool are:

- What does the relationship between your AP and PF look like in terms of passing combinations?

- How involved is the PF in the game? How many touches does he have in the opposition penalty area?

- What do passes from your AP over the course an entire game tell you about which way he is facing and the direction  trend of said passes?  

I'm not going to go through all of the games in which they've played. Needless to say, I'm happy with them. Otherwise I'd change them.

4 minutes ago, RobertPage said:

Best thing to do is either put them altogether and post a link to a youtube video or something. That takes time, so if not just step by step screenshots are pretty useful 

Was doing that as you typed :) Even left in the slightly ridiculous ones that don't prove my point. I like both through balls to Salah and the shorter through ball to Mane the best. The counter with my AP and PF at the end was pretty satisfying too though.

3 minutes ago, Tom8983 said:

Was doing that as you typed :) Even left in the slightly ridiculous ones that don't prove my point. I like both through balls to Salah and the shorter through ball to Mane the best. The counter with my AP and PF at the end was pretty satisfying too though.

The one to Mane was brilliant. The exact kind of thing people are frustrated not to see enough of. A packed defense, a good run with the ball and forward pass into the box.

2 minutes ago, RobertPage said:

The one to Mane was brilliant. The exact kind of thing people are frustrated not to see enough of. A packed defense, a good run with the ball and forward pass into the box.

Had two lovely split passes against Chelsea, one leading to a wrongly called offside goal for Fekir, the other from Martial playing Lukaku.

It was as I was saying to Novem9, its an area that definitely needs improving, but also an area that should be tricky, and is exacerbated by tactics. Certainly not broken, because it shouldn't be full of teams tearing each other with such passes, because it doesn't happen all that often in real life. Horrendous to balance.

7 minutes ago, RobertPage said:

Honestly I get those fairly regularly. It's just Mané/Salah usually blazes them wide or tries a square ball which does or doesn't work, but means Jones doesn't get an assist either way.

17 minutes ago, themadsheep2001 said:

Had two lovely split passes against Chelsea, one leading to a wrongly called offside goal for Fekir, the other from Martial playing Lukaku.

It was as I was saying to Novem9, its an area that definitely needs improving, but also an area that should be tricky, and is exacerbated by tactics. Certainly not broken, because it shouldn't be full of teams tearing each other with such passes, because it doesn't happen all that often in real life. Horrendous to balance.

Totally agree. I imagine most goals in real life doesn’t come from attacks that are established against that are organized well in their defensive shape. Most probably hallens during transitions when one team lose the ball and the other gain possession. Or hell even a second ball in a dangerous area. :)

But I am having a hard time as I am stubborn enough to try and translate Lucien Favre’s Dortmund-system into FM in which the number ten (Reus) is a goal threat. :D

4 minutes ago, Vali184 said:

What do you guys recommend playing until March between FM15, FM16, FM17 and FM18?

Of that four, definitely FM17. No idea why you're waiting until March to play this one though, given the game and the match engine are all improvements on the final versions of the last four editions in its current state right now. 

2 hours ago, RobertPage said:

16.2.0 December 16th

16.3.0 March 4th

17.2.0 December 15th

17.3.0 March 1st

18.2.0 December 14th

18.3.0 March 1st

19.2.0 December 11th

They have no obligation to do anything like that and anybody who thinks so is, frankly, deluded and needs to rein back his sense of entitlement. This kind of post is why the kind of communication you expect to be the norm from SI isn't and will never will be the case. A generic "we're trying our best and are working on solving a number of issues, but we believe the match engine to be the best we have made" post by an SI member is either transmuted into an SI-admit-they-release-a-bugged-game argument or a why-don't-SI-tell-me-what-will-be-fixed-and-when argument, both of which are deliberately unhelpful.

As for your daft argument about patch release dates, I would imagine that a patch is released round this time of the year so that (a) players can enjoy it over Christmas and (b) SI employees can enjoy Christmas with their families. The final patch is released at the start of March (and not before) simply because that's when the Chinese transfer window closes, so releasing it earlier would not be entirely logical and any major bugs have had plenty of time to be eradicated by then. If any major bug was identified in the interim, I'm pretty sure SI would release a 19.2.1 etc to fix it.

On ‎09‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 19:56, Dagenham_Dave said:

Sorry but i'm not enjoying the new patch.Hitting the woodwork 2 to 4 times a game is unacceptable.Every shot inside the box is charged down/blocked.My ruthless striker (Icardi) is now toothless in front of goal.

Thumbs down from me.

46 minutes ago, Mons said:

They have no obligation to do anything like that and anybody who thinks so is, frankly, deluded and needs to rein back his sense of entitlement. This kind of post is why the kind of communication you expect to be the norm from SI isn't and will never will be the case. A generic "we're trying our best and are working on solving a number of issues, but we believe the match engine to be the best we have made" post by an SI member is either transmuted into an SI-admit-they-release-a-bugged-game argument or a why-don't-SI-tell-me-what-will-be-fixed-and-when argument, both of which are deliberately unhelpful.

There's room for improvement. 

47 minutes ago, Mons said:

As for your daft argument about patch release dates, I would imagine that a patch is released round this time of the year so that (a) players can enjoy it over Christmas and (b) SI employees can enjoy Christmas with their families. The final patch is released at the start of March (and not before) simply because that's when the Chinese transfer window closes, so releasing it earlier would not be entirely logical and any major bugs have had plenty of time to be eradicated by then. If any major bug was identified in the interim, I'm pretty sure SI would release a 19.2.1 etc to fix it.

You should watch what you call "daft" when you miss the point by such a margin. flexible patch releases does not equal earlier release date. Let me explain so you don't miss the point and make yourself look "daft". SI recently opened a public beta (Great idea). During this beta a number of issues were raised and bugs were reported. Update 19.2.0 was released. Said bugs and issues from beta still present. The release could've been held off until a later date to give more time to solve these problems.

Now this is where communication could have helped. A simple statement (informing those who spent their time reporting these issues and bugs) to say that certain issues and bugs were unable to be solved, should have been released. This statement could have gone two ways. A) To inform the community that the update will be rolled out at a later time to be able to try and fix these. B) To inform the community that these issues where unable to be fixed in time for the scheduled update, and to ask that players continue to report problems in the relevant threads.

No one is expecting a magical fix for everything and the game to be perfect. But those who spend a hell of a lot of time reporting issues are more than deserving a bit better communication for their efforts 

None of my feedback is really aimed at SI since I'm not going to bother providing numbers, PKM's etc, it has all been said and very little done about it anyway. I'll say this anyway for any users on the fence on FM19 and wondering if this update changed anything - it's as bad as it ever was. Some aspects of the ME have been improved, such as wide players dwelling on the ball and an over abundance of pinpoint balls over the top from defenders to the striker leading to too many of goals of that variety, but the general ME experience has remained identical - a sleep inducing set piece fest. I don't know what game people are playing who are defending this, or what they must have found so horrendously wrong in the FM17\18 ME (which were both flawed, especially 18's) to say that this is the best ME yet even in it's current form. It has to be the potential to be, but isn't anywhere near.

Firstly, and weirdly this wasn't in the latest beta release, FM18 long shot decision algorithms are back baby, and they are back with a mean vengeance. Players will shoot. From everywhere, anywhere, weaker foot, stronger foot, this passing option, that... look, you know the drill. Prepare to pull out hairs in frustration again. I know, it's my tactics, spare it, anyone reading this who has taken a critical look at this game will have heard it all before.

Central play, through balls etc - nothing to add, all of it has been said.

The ME is an absolute snoozefest. Play the 6 months in the demo and you will have seen any and every type of goal this ME is capable of producing, and more importantly you will have seen the same couple of patterns of play that the ME has to offer and from there and on you will just see these on repeat. Set pieces dominate heavily.

Moving away from the ME, this is the worst performing FM game I've ever played and I find it shocking how now one is talking about this, probably because the ME is overshadowing it. I'm playing it on a gaming PC with an i5 4570 and 16GB of RAM. The UI is absolutely crawling along. This has been an issue since release and it seems even worse after this patch. Every switch of a window leads to a 1-2 seconds pause. Just pressing space in my inbox takes a second to process. Processing is slow and renders the game almost completely unresponsive during. 

Overall I'm on the edge with FM19. I'm enjoying it overall but I'm not really enjoying FM19, I'm just enjoying FM, you know what I mean? Put it this way - would I recommend this if you own FM18? No. I would have enjoyed a new save on FM18 even more in all likelihood, and that's what I meant when I said I'm on the edge - every day with FM19 is a struggle against the temptation to just go back to 18. The only reason I have not done so is because I'm attached to my save at this point.

Edited by bar333

You're perfectly sane ;)

I play with a creative midfield, trying to encourage creative freedom, movement, patience to find space and other many tweaks I've been aplying and the behavior of the ME is the same as you describe. It seems that it is a problem with everyone that tries to play this way (on FM19 and FMT19). No through balls, poor decision making, too many rebounds and clearances, less combination, wide players getting bullied out of the ball without ever atempting a cross, a through ball or shooting, midfielders quite irrelevant...

Also waiting for them to fix this. But I play on my Switch and even the 19.2.0 upgrade (that doesn't fix the issue) hasn't been applied yet.

36 minutes ago, nilruf said:

INo through balls, poor decision making, too many rebounds and clearances, less combination, wide players getting bullied out of the ball without ever atempting a cross, a through ball or shooting, 

So what you're claiming here is that there is NO through balls and NO crosses in the game, added to wide players never shooting. 

Seriously, how does this sort of utter rubbish help anyone? 

This is a ridiculously small sample size, but in my first three games after the new patch, I've seen a 2-0 win, a 3-3 draw and a 2-2 draw.

EVERY. SINGLE. GOAL. came from outside the area. 

This is very, very weird to me.

Edited by Deisler26

8 minutes ago, Deisler26 said:

This is a ridiculously small sample size, but in my first three games after the new patch, I've seen a 2-0 win, a 3-3 draw and a 2-2 draw.

I'm seeing some goals from long shots too, but I also had some tap-ins and headers...

Sorry man, my english is utter rubbish. Got carried away. But yes, in the context I write about there's no through balls. And some crosses, yes.

Going with my utter rubbish some place else, peace.

3 hours ago, Deisler26 said:

It's your tactics. Though there are more long shots now, I still have many goals from inside the box. 

So I've played 3 matches in 19.2 now and had a few initial impressions.

GOOD:

Less chances created by odd situations that felt unrealistic or at least over-represented, like midfielders making awful unforced errors leading to counters, long balls over the top dealt with poorly by defenders, and so on.  There seems to be greater passing variety than the constant "ship it to the fullback on the wing".  It feels like defense is more solid in general.

BAD:

A lot more shooting.  Without having altered my 19.1 tactic, the number of shots seems to have gone up by about 50%, a ton of which are blocked and at least a few of which are from silly distances and/or angles.  I think my SOT ratio went from around 50% to around 30%.  Reminds me a bit of FM18 except without all the really wild misses.

Overall it's not perfect but I think it is an improvement and I look forward to playing more of it.

7 hours ago, RobertPage said:

No one is expecting a magical fix for everything and the game to be perfect. But those who spend a hell of a lot of time reporting issues are more than deserving a bit better communication for their efforts 

Your post makes it seem like there has been no communication. I don’t know about the bugs you posted about but for those regarding the F9, slow turning, poor central play, now these posts have been responded to.

SI devs have gone in to indicate whether these have been logged or reviewed. Communication between SI devs and beta testers has certainly improved over the years. I doubt you were involved in 2012, that was when they started being more informative in their engagement.

There will be times when multiple posts about the same issue are started, each tester feeling that his issue is serious enough to warrant a separate thread.  They don’t need to respond to every thread that posts about a similar issue. Even a cursory read through of some of the threads will show that there is some engagement. Where there is no engagement  there is always a good reason why. SI devs do not have the time to explain why your choices were poor. 

SI devs did come out and say that balancing central attacking play was a challenge, they also admitted they were trying to improve how certain roles moved in the final third. And before someone tells me to go whip out the thread, I suggest doing it yourself. 

A long time ago there was hardly ever any communication. A few select people would discuss the issues in private and a patch would be rolled out, today it’s a big new 🌍.  Hey I have a list of bug bears too, but I can see that these have been logged some reviewed and others ignored. When they are ignored I actually start thinking it’s my tactic.

11 hours ago, Mons said:

They have no obligation to do anything like that and anybody who thinks so is, frankly, deluded and needs to rein back his sense of entitlement.

of course not and also there's demo to try the game. but that's a very poor politics and clearly SI don't follow it. FM is very specific game with many fans supporting it for long time and being the only football management type out there the pressure is even bigger on SI. what is the most important for me and it seems you forgot this fact is that instructions, roles, attributes or basic football stuff like passing don't work (as intended) and it all worked well in previous FMs, that's a big problem for far fans and the game. nobody expects the game to simulate real football to perfection or to be without bugs. but you do expect improvements not basic things not working because these issues will undermine everything good about game. i'm sure i'm not the only one who won't play the game in current state.

Edited by Mitja

9 minutes ago, westy8chimp said:

players need to be more unique and their attributes/ppms should be the most important factor as to how they play...

10 minutes ago, westy8chimp said:

I've said before... I don't really believe a scale of 10-180(ish) can really show the difference between a Messi and this guy... 

currently there are attributes having little or no effect, like movement related or dribbling, technique or passing/vision/decision, tackling related.... what you said seems science fiction at the moment.