Football Manager 2019 Official Feedback Thread

Biggest downside for this year's FM from your pov ?  

66 members have voted

1. 1. What really annoy you this year while playing FM19 ?

• Players moaning for new contracts too often
    • Gegenpressing tactic too powerful
    • Youngsters determination decreasing despite tutoring
    • IA still stockpiling players at a specific position/low teambuilding
    • Calendar bug ,only 1 day to recover between 2 officials games, especially a the end of the season (Obviously, i'm not talking about the Boxing day)
    • International call-ups issues (players unavailable for Champions League final etc...)

This poll is closed to new votes

7 hours ago, Earnie is God! said:

I've just asked my board to improve our youth academy and "push it to the next level".
They agreed and it turns out that this equates to upgrading our scouting range.

Is that what it is supposed to be? Improving your academy means upgrading your scouting?

20190826234349_1.thumb.jpg.e39fc24f4530c8295e6f68e0489886fc.jpg20190826234500_1.thumb.jpg.6b5ad591423c43bd34dd04a84d4c7999.jpg

I had that too, i thought that answer from the chairman was supposed to be from when you ask to improve the youth recruitment. I thought I may have just clicked the wrong question but I guess I didnt.

However, i could be completely wrong and the response is ok, but it seems a little weird to me as well.

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This was all part of them offering me a new contract, not that it should make a difference.

As it happens, the game had just saved right beforehand so I reloaded it as I thought, like you, I clicked on the wrong thing.
I clicked on the same one (thus how I got the screenshots) and had the same response.
I reloaded again and tried clicking on the youth recruitment option because, again like you, I thought that should have been the response to that particular request but, even after 3 attempts, they refused to improve that even with my ultimatum of not signing a new deal if they didn't do it.
Went back to my original youth academy request which again they accepted and again it came back with a confirmation of our scouting range being upgraded.

I have the editor so checked to see if perhaps our academy level was already at the max but it's nowhere near, just 11 out of 20.
Our scouting range is already at the worldwide level, with no restrictions on where I send my scouts and a 48% world coverage (I don't scout Africa a great deal or some parts of Asia).

Thinking about it more, this response surely has to be wrong. My scouting range is already at the max with no restrictions so how can this be upgraded?

14 hours ago, Earnie is God! said:

This was all part of them offering me a new contract, not that it should make a difference.

As it happens, the game had just saved right beforehand so I reloaded it as I thought, like you, I clicked on the wrong thing.
I clicked on the same one (thus how I got the screenshots) and had the same response.
I reloaded again and tried clicking on the youth recruitment option because, again like you, I thought that should have been the response to that particular request but, even after 3 attempts, they refused to improve that even with my ultimatum of not signing a new deal if they didn't do it.
Went back to my original youth academy request which again they accepted and again it came back with a confirmation of our scouting range being upgraded.

I have the editor so checked to see if perhaps our academy level was already at the max but it's nowhere near, just 11 out of 20.
Our scouting range is already at the worldwide level, with no restrictions on where I send my scouts and a 48% world coverage (I don't scout Africa a great deal or some parts of Asia).

Thinking about it more, this response surely has to be wrong. My scouting range is already at the max with no restrictions so how can this be upgraded?

Yeah, definitely seems like something is not right there, its bizarre.

Just had a contract renewal 2 games before end of the season and I never even offered him one. All contract responsibilities are made by me aswell, that's strange... never happened before. Only got an email saying he's signed a new deal and I was going to sell him :seagull:

Brought this up the other week and it's happened again.

20190828030030_1.thumb.jpg.02c3b5c111deaa6d1d08862dad64eb94.jpg20190828030531_1.thumb.jpg.9b757e08d2d0ce71a4911d67bc5bc44d.jpg20190828034953_1.thumb.jpg.69f3cf94b653103373a89b19e3c96777.jpg

We have 8 days between one game and the next the week before when almost everyone else is playing at the weekend but not us, and then the following week we have to play Saturday, Monday, Wednesday, Friday, Sunday. WTF?!
Why do we have to play 5 games in 8 days and why can't one of those have been played the previous weekend when we don't have a game at all?
Just doesn't make sense and I'm just lucky that the league title is just about wrapped up for us already.

12 minutes ago, Earnie is God! said:

Was he a youth player who'd previously agreed to sign professional terms when he turned 17?

No. Tuanzebe, he was on a "rotation" contract at 15k and it suddenly happened. Luckily it's a 3 year contract and not more so i might be able to sell.... 

regarding your schedule thing ^ always happens to me, I've made it a rule for myself just to go for 2/3 cups- UCL, PL and FA cup. Guess we'll have to see if it changes for 20

8 hours ago, Earnie is God! said:

Brought this up the other week and it's happened again.

20190828030030_1.thumb.jpg.02c3b5c111deaa6d1d08862dad64eb94.jpg20190828030531_1.thumb.jpg.9b757e08d2d0ce71a4911d67bc5bc44d.jpg20190828034953_1.thumb.jpg.69f3cf94b653103373a89b19e3c96777.jpg

We have 8 days between one game and the next the week before when almost everyone else is playing at the weekend but not us, and then the following week we have to play Saturday, Monday, Wednesday, Friday, Sunday. WTF?!
Why do we have to play 5 games in 8 days and why can't one of those have been played the previous weekend when we don't have a game at all?
Just doesn't make sense and I'm just lucky that the league title is just about wrapped up for us already.

A simple solution is to allow the human manager to pick rearranged dates to avoid this problem that has been ongoing for years.

I know the poll is closed but I would have gone for " Calendar bug ,only 1 day to recover between 2 officials games, especially a the end of the season (Obviously, i'm not talking about the Boxing day) "

5 hours ago, Bababui said:

A simple solution is to allow the human manager to pick rearranged dates to avoid this problem that has been ongoing for years.

How do you set that?

The last time it happened to me there were 2 PL fixtures on the Wednesday after the official end of season yet I still had to play 4 games in 8 days.

Edited by toffee71

1 hour ago, Lucas said:

You don't. It is a suggested solution.

I would also like to add that SI has done an excellent job avoiding this issue in the last couple of iterations, for me anyway. I like to start at level 7 or 8 in England. There are three and were four cup competitions and a 42 match league. Replays and waterlogged pitches could cause severe fixture congestion. Another suggestion might be the option to disable waterlogged pitches.

6 minutes ago, Barside said:

Still, I'm waiting for October/November with the hope that this release is the one that sucks me back into FM.

Ngl I was playing 19 yesterday and my CAM just didn't want to play for 18 games straight, Contemplated going back to 17 and then I was like I probably got used to 19 so im gonna quit FM all together... really hoping 20 changes 19 and hopefully a great game. Not gonna pre order either after last years. 

• 2 weeks later...

And of course, I'm now re-experiencing many of the frustrations with the match engine that led to that break from FM19. It just isn't fun, rewarding, challenging to see players (regardless of how good they are or how good the opposition are; regardless of whether they're my players or the AI's) make the same errors time and time again, yet because you can't point those errors out, the players will continue to make them and see nothing wrong with making those errors because it's how they're programmed to behave.

• Full back recovers the ball on the sideline, has an open pass back to the keeper. Does he take that? No, he passes it out of play for a corner.
  • Midfielder makes a pass from the half-space to the flanks, slightly ahead of the winger. The winger lets it go out of play and claps as if it was a worldly, Beckham-esque crosspitch ball.
  • Second ball is a few feet in front of them, or a pass is played in front of them for them to run onto. Despite easily being able to get to the ball before anyone else, they decide not to. (here's an extreme example where two of my team's players could have gotten to it but let the opposition get it first)
  • Random slide tackles without judgement, leading to them being caught out of position and allowing the opposition player a chance to counter or exploit that space
  • Clearing the ball out of play under the slightest pressure, despite being instructed to play out from the back and to pass shorter. Makes it artificially difficult to play a possession system, cheaply giving the ball away, almost feels as if your players are all required to have the "plays way out of trouble" PPM.
  • Defenders heading the ball down to the nearest opposition player, or at least to an empty space another of your players is near enough to get to but just watches as the opposition striker gets an easy shot on goal.
  • Half-hearted passes, not weighted enough and lacking pace by the time they get to their intended target (if at all, because it's therefore ripe to be intercepted in the extended time the ball isn't at anyone's feet). Especially when there's a chance to counter (which leads to another tangent; 'Counter' transition instruction makes the team too counter-attack prone and exaggerates the issues with retaining possession as if the defenders/holding players are looking for a long ball at every opportunity. Likewise, unchecking that team instruction leads the team to often
  • When a player drops deep or comes narrow to try and recieve the ball, but the ballcarrier loses it before they can pass, the first player will too easily return to their position rather than try and win it back

When these things happen in every match with no opportunity to try and eliminate these errors, it kills any desire to keep playing the game. Sorry for the rant :) On the bright side, FM20 is just around the corner...

44 minutes ago, autohoratio said:

And of course, I'm now re-experiencing many of the frustrations with the match engine that led to that break from FM19. It just isn't fun, rewarding, challenging to see players (regardless of how good they are or how good the opposition are; regardless of whether they're my players or the AI's) make the same errors time and time again, yet because you can't point those errors out, the players will continue to make them and see nothing wrong with making those errors because it's how they're programmed to behave.

• Full back recovers the ball on the sideline, has an open pass back to the keeper. Does he take that? No, he passes it out of play for a corner.
  • Midfielder makes a pass from the half-space to the flanks, slightly ahead of the winger. The winger lets it go out of play and claps as if it was a worldly, Beckham-esque crosspitch ball.
  • Second ball is a few feet in front of them, or a pass is played in front of them for them to run onto. Despite easily being able to get to the ball before anyone else, they decide not to. (here's an extreme example where two of my team's players could have gotten to it but let the opposition get it first)
  • Random slide tackles without judgement, leading to them being caught out of position and allowing the opposition player a chance to counter or exploit that space
  • Clearing the ball out of play under the slightest pressure, despite being instructed to play out from the back and to pass shorter. Makes it artificially difficult to play a possession system, cheaply giving the ball away, almost feels as if your players are all required to have the "plays way out of trouble" PPM.
  • Defenders heading the ball down to the nearest opposition player, or at least to an empty space another of your players is near enough to get to but just watches as the opposition striker gets an easy shot on goal.
  • Half-hearted passes, not weighted enough and lacking pace by the time they get to their intended target (if at all, because it's therefore ripe to be intercepted in the extended time the ball isn't at anyone's feet). Especially when there's a chance to counter (which leads to another tangent; 'Counter' transition instruction makes the team too counter-attack prone and exaggerates the issues with retaining possession as if the defenders/holding players are looking for a long ball at every opportunity. Likewise, unchecking that team instruction leads the team to often
  • When a player drops deep or comes narrow to try and recieve the ball, but the ballcarrier loses it before they can pass, the first player will too easily return to their position rather than try and win it back

When these things happen in every match with no opportunity to try and eliminate these errors, it kills any desire to keep playing the game. Sorry for the rant :) On the bright side, FM20 is just around the corner...

Errors or is it scripted ?

1 hour ago, prot651 said:

Errors or is it scripted ?

Scripted? No. Although sometimes it may feel like the outcome is written in advance, it's just the result of imperfect coding/programming or oversights. The closest thing to scripting there is in the game would be the decisions you made in the leadup to the match (e.g. training sessions, press conferences, tactical briefing, team talk) having an effect on what happens during the match, which of course is how it should be.

7 hours ago, prot651 said:

No and hopefully . Playing 19.1 is better than 19.3 though 

Really? I thought the opposite. I remember 19.1 having low scoring games and some striker roles weren't as useful. Low scoring games and did a few seasons on it and top class strikers were scoring way less than usual or at least should be. 19.3 Still has the same issues but the "move into channel" really kills your chances off in games. 

13 minutes ago, BigV said:

Really? I thought the opposite. I remember 19.1 having low scoring games and some striker roles weren't as useful. Low scoring games and did a few seasons on it and top class strikers were scoring way less than usual or at least should be. 19.3 Still has the same issues but the "move into channel" really kills your chances off in games. 

I've said it dozens of times, and ill say it again: "moves into Channels" should not be hardcoded

48 minutes ago, themadsheep2001 said:

I've said it dozens of times, and ill say it again: "moves into Channels" should not be hardcoded

Agreed but im sure there was a time a couple striker roles had it "red" in earlier versions?? Or am i completely making that up. 

We have a "Dribble Less Often", "Shoot Less Often" and "Cross Less Often" - if only there was a "Head Less Often" option, so my players wouldn't:

- Constantly head the ball to the opposition when the ball is clearly either going out of play or when under no pressure whatsover and there's plenty of time to control the ball and pass to a teammate. This has been documented in numerous discussions (and I recall experiencing similar instances since FM2016) yet still persists

- Head the ball seemingly to themselves - as a form of first touch/ ball control, judging by the ME - only for the ball to run out of their reach straight to an opposition player. Not only this, but they often SLOW DOWN as the opposition player easily takes the ball away.

- Choose to weakly head the ball on goal from poor angles or too far out (i.e. just inside the 18 yard box), despite having time to control the ball and use their feet.

Just because the ball comes to you at head height, doesn't mean you have to head it!

Don't think a 'head less often' would be a good addition tbf. Those examples you provided are an issue with the ME or whatever so it's really down to common sense that a player shouldn't try to head the ball when it's going out of play or there isn't any present danger. I think that's just something we'll likely see less of in FM20 rather than getting its own tactical instruction 

3 hours ago, AlexJames said:

We have a "Dribble Less Often", "Shoot Less Often" and "Cross Less Often" - if only there was a "Head Less Often" option, so my players wouldn't:

- Constantly head the ball to the opposition when the ball is clearly either going out of play or when under no pressure whatsover and there's plenty of time to control the ball and pass to a teammate. This has been documented in numerous discussions (and I recall experiencing similar instances since FM2016) yet still persists

- Head the ball seemingly to themselves - as a form of first touch/ ball control, judging by the ME - only for the ball to run out of their reach straight to an opposition player. Not only this, but they often SLOW DOWN as the opposition player easily takes the ball away.

- Choose to weakly head the ball on goal from poor angles or too far out (i.e. just inside the 18 yard box), despite having time to control the ball and use their feet.

Just because the ball comes to you at head height, doesn't mean you have to head it!

Looking at it quickly I somewhat understood why, but having a quick think it's not viable as such especially in modern times/game. What @Stevicus is true. 

A few more points would be roles, positions and the way you want to play. Only a few roles require heading such as target man and defenders but delve deeper and you can see that other roles "benefit". Lets say you play short passing and have a good header of the ball, crosses or ones you expect a striker to get at the end of (mid/head) height would be useful. Perfect example is vardy, great header very quick doesn't necessarily need to be great at jumping or being tall. Which would bring me to the way you play. Long ball-target man, short play- useful to have a good header but if speed or hold up play is your game then fair enough. I personally have 2 strikers where one is either quick and skillful and the other an all around that is usually good/great at heading the ball. 

4 hours ago, Stevicus said:

Don't think a 'head less often' would be a good addition tbf. Those examples you provided are an issue with the ME or whatever so it's really down to common sense that a player shouldn't try to head the ball when it's going out of play or there isn't any present danger. I think that's just something we'll likely see less of in FM20 rather than getting its own tactical instruction 

I was being facetious, I wasn't seriously requesting this feature, merely pointing out the ME issues

• 2 weeks later...

I've put some right hours & effort into FM19, I've really enjoyed it on the most part but they are a few things I'd like to see improved, particularly in the ME

Crosses - not the fact that most are blocked but the sheer number of them compared to a real life football match. I had a quick look last weekend & Liverpool who play with two aggressive wingbacks put in about 30 a game (without corners), Arsenal, 3. Without any focus on wing play, last time I checked I'm attempting 60-70 per game with corners. Not a thorough test by any means  but there's a ME preference to the ball going wide 

Central play - could be linked to the above, that central play isn't as effective as it should be in real life, players not moving into space & the like but it could be the way the ME shows marking by the defenders. It could be they're tightly marking your player but on-screen it looks like your player's marking the defender. Have the defending player at least look at the attacker to make it obvious

Visually strange things - just watching the game carefully you see some odd things, I lose count. Shots hitting the post & rebounding into a diving 'keepers hands & the shot not registering as hitting the woodwork. Tackles from behind have been deleted from football but you see it in game with no foul. Keeper's that come out for a long ball rolling toward him in his box, then stopping & jogging back to his line for a striker to run in for a chance. I'm sure it's the way some things are shown in the ME & isn't what's actually happening in the match but it would be nice to see what is actually going on

Ass man's feedback - this needs to be improved massively as the advice he offers is terrible. You're passing well, playing well, keeping possession so he advises going more direct. A player scores a tap-in of a rebound & he comes out with so & so is pulling the strings out there, he must be man-marked. How about something like, this team are really putting men behind the ball this game lets stretch the game out a bit or we've got some pace on the bench, how about we give him a run out now they're tiring or Mr. CM is being marked out of the game isn't he, he's not getting on the ball & his passing been a let down, just something that might make a manager think

AI tactics - way too negative all round 

The bells & whistles are great but I'm really looking forward to what's mentioned in the ME tweaks for FM20

• 3 weeks later...

So, after some 3400 hours of FM19 I have now uninstalled the game and will take some time off until FM20 is here. My final thoughs on FM19 is that I've generally enjoyed the game. I still find the game quite hard, at least on Championship level where I most often play my saves. Higher up the echelon it's easier to succeed, but I often find those saves to be boring in the long term (and often more of a "Wants a new contract-Manager" than a football manager game, what's up with that?). There's issues with the ME, and I'm still cranky because you won't let me use a real manager photo instead of the cartoon thing.

But from someone who have played CM/FM since the days Samuel Pepys walked around in London, and pretty much only likes to buy players and watch them win games while I eat tacos to escape a demanding and depressing real life: good job SI. Looking forward to FM20.

• 2 weeks later...

Football Manager Slightly Bonkers Edition: Most one on ones you'll see all year (with a conversion apparently slightly above 50%ish unless miscounted -- but then most of those are in space, as opposed to a pack of defenders Hunting the Forward down). Not sure if SI would consider this a viable test due to obvious reasons tho. :D Am also slightly concerned about the decision making, as Players shoot/ push for the Goal too readily given the Advantage, but then this type of highly unrealistic tactic has likely never went through testing, heh. But then I did argue before the ME experience Long-term may become more robust if Input was limited to actual football concepts made an actual part of the game and ME testing process… you won't see much defending that's anything quite like this.

IhUf35k.png

match pkm: http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=16168281112810929402

As majorly flawed and nonsensical as the above is: Let me still add this random thought. That's a lot of one on ones and similar situations. There's streaks of misses, there's streaks of conversion. By the time a Player may have experienced similar numbers for his Team in an actual save against sensible AI tactics, he may be well into a Season, and will have played many Matches. It could all be the exact same chances, with the exact same chances of scoring as in he above match. His perception will be fundamentally different simply because of that. A "bad streak" spread out over seven Matches will give his the Impression that his Forward may be the worst Player at scoring ever in the history of the game, and vice versa. Yet, in the end, none of that may be much true. (And that's not in defense of Morata, mind). 

Edited by Svenc

• 1 year later...

I genuinely hate this game at times.

Player bitches he wants a new contract, I offer him contract that his agent agrees to.

Next minute, player isn't happy with it and then he complains how I went against promising to offer a contract?

Had three options to reply to the player, none of them relevant to what happened.