Does anyone still play older FM games?

1 hour ago, Brother Ben said:

Yeah that was the formation alright and to be honest on CM Italia you only had to sign Cantona and you were golden

The game also came with a massive poster with the location of the clubs too which was ace

edit - found a picture of the poster, not quite as good as I remember but it did have pride of place on my bedroom wall next to Swansea goalkeeping legend Roger Freestone

championship-manager-italia-95-poster_360_1191836c881ed66eaf1c828b66249308.thumb.jpg.f1cfada231a3a2739ff7443544b50d2c.jpg

I must admit, I do not remember the poster.  Do you remember Premier Manager? At school you were either a Premier Manager guy or CM guy. 

1 hour ago, Brother Ben said:

CM2 had the commentator in it, think it was Clive Tyldesley.  You can download it for free but you will have to faff about with DOSBOX to make it work

I’ll have to give it a go just for commentary. I remember thinking how revolutionary it was back then. :lol: cheers!

2 hours ago, mrdorf said:

I must admit, I do not remember the poster.  Do you remember Premier Manager? At school you were either a Premier Manager guy or CM guy. 

Yeah loved the first Premier Manager, it’s the game that got me started with Stalybridge.  More than 25 years later I still start my first save with them on every version, I’ve got no other ties to the club or the area but I’d go so far as to say they’re my second team

Best thing about that game was that you had to start at the bottom and earn the right to manage a top side

Edited by Brother Ben

11 hours ago, mrdorf said:

Which game had the commentators that you could actually hear? I really want to play that. Barring that,  I'd like to find a video of someone playing on Youtube so I can see what it's all about.

That's CM2 I'm sure of it. Think I played it briefly in my youth, even then it was an old game, am sure you'll be able to get in online for free somewhere.

9 hours ago, Savo7en said:

Fm18 and 17 for me currently - really like the 2d view on fm17 that showed the stadium and crowd. 

FM18 I'm in 2041 with Bangor City of Wales having just won the Europa League for the 1st time and in FM17 I'm in 2042 with West Ham having started unemployed and then worked my way up from Vanarama South with Kidderminster followed by moves to Barrow, Blackburn and Crystal Palace. 

West Ham's stadium is an 87, 000 seater named after me which pretty smart. 

Had a son come into youth team at Blackburn but he was awful! 

Love long saves like that. Never had a son, well not one I've noticed anyway, don't you have to be at a like 15 seasons before the game gives you a random chance of a son?>

10 hours ago, Brother Ben said:

Yeah that was the formation alright and to be honest on CM Italia you only had to sign Cantona and you were golden

The game also came with a massive poster with the location of the clubs too which was ace

edit - found a picture of the poster, not quite as good as I remember but it did have pride of place on my bedroom wall next to Swansea goalkeeping legend Roger Freestone

championship-manager-italia-95-poster_360_1191836c881ed66eaf1c828b66249308.thumb.jpg.f1cfada231a3a2739ff7443544b50d2c.jpg

OMG! I had that poster in my room, it was right next to a poster of Alan Shearer! Oh the memories!

7 hours ago, Brother Ben said:

Yeah loved the first Premier Manager, it’s the game that got me started with Stalybridge.  More than 25 years later I still start my first save with them on every version, I’ve got no other ties to the club or the area but I’d go so far as to say they’re my second team

Best thing about that game was that you had to start at the bottom and earn the right to manage a top side

For the same reason as you with Stalybridge, Bristol City are my second team. Couldn't tell you the exact version, am thinking maybe CM01/02 or there abouts I had a save as Bristol City, think I got the job during the save can't exactly remember don't think I started as them, all I do know is we went on a run that included multiple cups and Premier Leagues, and from then on they've always had a place in my heart. I try to get the job on journeyman saves whenever I find myself playing in the English leagues on FM.

a month ago i was looking at getting FM 2002 or 2001 or 2003 when my home time had prime players we were really good but veryone bought players stuff when south then from close to europa league to back to back relegation :(

I wish there as a way of getting older FM:s

Edited by Jonathanskilz
gergrg

1 hour ago, Jonathanskilz said:

a month ago i was looking at getting FM 2002 or 2001 or 2003 when my home time had prime players we were really good but veryone bought players stuff when south then from close to europa league to back to back relegation :(

I wish there as a way of getting older FM:s

your wish etc

https://champman0102.co.uk/downloads.php?do=file&id=2

enjoy

What's your team?

Edited by Brother Ben

10 hours ago, Brother Ben said:

It was quite indepth with you having to choose the the sponsors and build up the stadium but CM was just more realistic.

1 hour ago, mrdorf said:

It was quite indepth with you having to choose the the sponsors and build up the stadium but CM was just more realistic.

yeah the adboard thing was a bit silly now I think of it, took ages to do

The original CM was revolutionary really, even the first ever one with fake player names.  The sheer depth (for its time) was staggering

7 hours ago, BigV said:

All this talk is firing up fm17 save :hammer:

Also go on to FM Scout website and download  FEZ pitches , Ball Types and Nets , Skins , Logos etc and you will have a great game

7 hours ago, prot651 said:

Also go on to FM Scout website and download  FEZ pitches , Ball Types and Nets , Skins , Logos etc and you will have a great game

The Virtex skin is the best. I never bother with the balls. May have a look at fez pitches tho

14 hours ago, BigV said:

All this talk is firing up fm17 save :hammer:

I've literally just restarted a new save on 17. Think I may blog it on here.

15 hours ago, prot651 said:

Also go on to FM Scout

Ngl that was the first thing I did when I wrote that without seeing your message till now lol. 

7 hours ago, bigmattb28 said:

I've literally just restarted a new save on 17. Think I may blog it on here.

Go for it, you might have to blog it elsewhere though cause the mods might ban it as it's not related but wouldn't hurt to try. About to smash some hours on it now, I forgot the feeling of 17 and can't wait to see my players looking sleek in the ME. PS. i checked my team yesterday and found out I bought a 34 yr old sanchez and turns out he dribbles 10 per game. Only if he replecated that at united :'( 

• 4 weeks later...

I play FM 13.

For me this game was the last "fun" FM I've played. It had enough modern advancements like add/remove nations and leagues, better gameplay, better interaction, training etc, but without being clunky. I know as the game developers want to make every year more realistic of a simulation they're adding some new details but I just find a lot of it superflous. Ultimately all I want to do play matches, build a squad, find and develop talents. 

However I holidayed through the first six years of the game save because I knew who all the best wonderkids were at the start of the game so it'd feel like cheating if I started from the beginning. In addition I wanted the game world to take shape so when I took over in 2018/19 to match the real life timeline, it's a totally new game for me. Older players are either retiring shortly, or the wonderkids at the start of the game are at their peak, or totally fell off a cliff. Regens are about to kick in!

Now I'm into my fifteenth season and absolutely loving it. I've been managing Spurs and as far as the league goes I've won seven of the fifteen titles, Manchester City have won five and Chelsea have won three. I've only won two Champions Leagues which is disappointing especially because sides like Valencia and Porto have won it more recently than my last one but this is how the game world has shaped up. The competition is hot!

The only weird thing is how dominant English sides are in the Europa League. I was in it for my first two years and won it in 2019/20 beating Newcastle in the final. Newcastle then went onto win it under Neil Lennon (who later managed Liverpool for six months, led Benfica to the Champions League Final, then a few years at Arsenal and now England manager). Danny Higginbotham won it with Nottingham Forest despite being relegated the same year. Arsenal won it with Slaven Bilic who was in his second stint as manager having guided them to the league title in his first (before I got into the save). And now West Ham under Steven Fletcher has won it along with an FA Cup they won under Curtis Davies.

2 hours ago, Boycott said:

I play FM 13.

Funny enough I saw my cousin play this back in 2013 having no idea it was champ manager or the makers of it I should say. Hooked me back on it immediatly and there was something so simplistic yet so engaging that it was a beautiful game when I got it. Just remember my cousin playing as everton and buying hunteelar and he was banging 30 goals a season pushing them to 3/4th spot. Certainly a great game to play and have had started again on for certain. Would argue that 14 is good and 17 best in recent years. 

My dad's favorite FM is 2011. I tried to make him "upgrade" but he always refuses, I don't think he will ever play another version.

As for me, I truly think FM19 is the best one so far (even with some evident ME problems), but I also play FM17 --- this one holds a special place in my heart.

Some months ago I tried to go back all the way to CM4. Such good memories, but the truth is, I wasn't able to stay more than an hour. Lacks basically everything that we know by now, which is normal. I prefer to keep the old memories.

I booted up FM17 last night and started a new game. It is such a clean and simple UI. Everything is so much better layed out. Training and Scouting is a breath of fresh air again!

Only played one game but the ME was pretty tidy too. May have seemed a little limited (although then that could be down to my team not being anywhere near used to the system) but I already saw things happen that I often get so frustrated at not happening on FM19. Mainly some movement in the final third.

1 hour ago, shaunwwfc said:

I booted up FM17 last night and started a new game. It is such a clean and simple UI. Everything is so much better layed out. Training and Scouting is a breath of fresh air again!

Only played one game but the ME was pretty tidy too. May have seemed a little limited (although then that could be down to my team not being anywhere near used to the system) but I already saw things happen that I often get so frustrated at not happening on FM19. Mainly some movement in the final third.

I actually prefer FM17 but FM19 runs so mjuch smoother on my Macbook so I use that. FM17 had a really good feel, the interface is so perfect you can get into a game. Sometimes I boot up fM19 and then just turn it off after a few minutes cuz I'm not feeling into it.

FM 17 was the edition with wingers always staying wide leading to tactics through the middle being completely overpowered. And other issues.

Its always funny how people glorify the past. Im sure in 3 years many people who now complain about FM 19 will say "im playing fm 19, that version was so much fun!"

6 minutes ago, Defensive said:

FM 17 was the edition with wingers always staying wide leading to tactics through the middle being completely overpowered. And other issues.

Its always funny how people glorify the past. Im sure in 3 years many people who now complain about FM 19 will say "im playing fm 19, that version was so much fun!"

FM17 ME is better than the Me in 19. 

3 hours ago, shaunwwfc said:

Mainly some movement in the final third.

Finding a CAM that could move and not follow your BBM really does lighten my eyes up when I went back to it lol. 

34 minutes ago, Defensive said:

Yes very true but the fact remains 17 is still better probably in almost every way to 19 bar the new features. That was the only "major" issue but could be combated rather easily. Use a 433, or a mid heavy formation, use 2 IF's or have a winger/IF and teach the trait run down the left/right flank or cut inside from either flank. That way you have 2 roles put into 1 at certain times, which is useful most of the time. 

People are saying 19 is good now outside the forums so your point doesn't really stand. You could argue that no one outside of the forums really analyse the game enough to see things or notice "bugs" or they simply overlook it because they can't do much about it and have no idea this place exists. I for one will never say 19 is the best, pre 1st patch in beta was the best version of the game. Atm 17 stands high and strong for the best most recent FM. Just hope 20 betters it massively ME wise so fun can be put back into the game 

4 hours ago, Defensive said:

I still liked 17 more, besides I have huge issues with the ME on 19 and I've gone plenty of seasons undefeated but never finding a tactic to actually play decent looking football. 

On 26/08/2019 at 02:03, prot651 said:

I play FM17 ….. With all the Add-ons like Fez pitches and better Camera views its actually the best FM ever

Do you mind letting me know where did you get these camera views you are talking about ? I play 17 as well and I would be interested.

23 hours ago, steakfaced said:

I actually prefer FM17 but FM19 runs so mjuch smoother on my Macbook so I use that. FM17 had a really good feel, the interface is so perfect you can get into a game. Sometimes I boot up fM19 and then just turn it off after a few minutes cuz I'm not feeling into it.

Exactly my thought. I loaded 19 up, played a week or so in game and just couldn't get engaged. 

• 3 months later...

I don't have a PC but I still crack out for FM 2005 and 2008.

I had 2012 and fell out of love of the game.  

I Do plan on playing fm05 because I never mastered the training and I was rubbish after three seasons most times.

FM 2008 is my glory days building amazing teams and playing with the editor doing all sorts of experiments.

I remember Germany players not being picked in favour of fake players so I picked the the best 30 German players and distributed them amongst the lesser nations.

I tried swapping Malta with Germany too but they were rubbish and never had any chemistry.

I changed the clubs reputation points and players were distributed differently to usual saves.

I miss my wonderkids that became amazing players because the training was simplified for me.   

I had a Chelsea save where I signed Barzahgli from Milan and had him and Terry train Michael Mancienne who eventually looked like John Terry in Lucio's body.

I managed to stop Ever Banega playing for Argentina by recalling him every friendly match and he eventually got naturalized as an Englishman and get England caps.

I had many saves 2 months before major European championships, World Cups and Confederations cup and I'd play network games with others. 

I miss playing FM.  I have no idea what's changed since 2012.

• 7 months later...

I still play FM 2007, have tried various newer versions but never enjoyed them as much, last one was FM19, hardly played it before returning to old faithful

Am greedy though I manage too many teams so my season takes an age

Currently up to sort of present day on one of my saves, around 2020 and Middlesbrough are still the footballing super power on the planet, although the other teams I manage (Darlington, Hartlepool, York, Scarborough, Whitby & Harrogate Town + various International jobs) are all now competing for European & domestic trophies, Darlington premier league champions 2019, havent played it in a while but think I added another manager and also took over Notts Forest who are bankrupt and in league 1 so thought be mission to get them to prem.

Had started a new game not so long back in lock down just finished the first season, 2nd in Prem with Boro which was poor for me normally win title in first season and at least a cup but none this time around, must be slacking in my old age

Hartlepool 1st & JPT & Darlo 2nd in League 2,

York top in Conference and won FA Trophy beat Scarborough in final.

Whitby 1st, Scarborough 2nd & Harrogate Town 3rd who got promoted beating Scarborough in Conference North playoff final penalty shoot-out, also manage Genk on this one to help with WP players, 1st with them as well so not doing too bad.

I think I have gone back to my youth and end up some mornings till 1 or 2am and alarm for work goes off at 630am so think I might have a problem lol.  although I cant drink booze for quite a while due to health issues so this could be the reason for more spare time!

See some gamers had problem starting the game in windows 10, only issue i had is i like to play in full screen and it wouldnt work on laptop initial used to leave borders down either side of screen then seemed to right itself, now just my main desktop PC and have to play in windowed mode so if anyone has any tips on how to get full screen that would be useful.

Hi,

New to the forum, please be gentle. I'm a huge fan of the old versions of FM, specifically 06 and 08. I was wondering if anyone plays these versions on modern systems? I'm thinking of buying a modern laptop with no OS and installing Windows 7 on it, can anyone see any issues with this? Specifically looking at this https://www.ebuyer.com/947189-asus-m509da-ryzen-3-8gb-256gb-ssd-15-6-no-os-laptop-m509da-bq349

Would love to be able to play a huge in-depth version of 08 with a large number of leagues and full database.

Thanks for any help guys.

Edited by Gitzilla

3 hours ago, Grogsy said:

I still play FM 2007, have tried various newer versions but never enjoyed them as much, last one was FM19, hardly played it before returning to old faithful

Currently up to sort of present day on one of my saves, around 2020 and Middlesbrough are still the footballing super power on the planet, although the other teams I manage (Darlington, Hartlepool, York, Scarborough, Whitby & Harrogate Town + various International jobs) are all now competing for European & domestic trophies, Darlington premier league champions 2019, havent played it in a while but think I added another manager and also took over Notts Forest who are bankrupt and in league 1 so thought be mission to get them to prem.

Had started a new game not so long back in lock down just finished the first season, 2nd in Prem with Boro which was poor for me normally win title in first season and at least a cup but none this time around, must be slacking in my old age

Whitby 1st, Scarborough 2nd & Harrogate Town 3rd who got promoted beating Scarborough in Conference North playoff final penalty shoot-out, also manage Genk on this one to help with WP players, 1st with them as well so not doing too bad.

I think I have gone back to my youth and end up some mornings till 1 or 2am and alarm for work goes off at 630am so think I might have a problem lol.  although I cant drink booze for quite a while due to health issues so this could be the reason for more spare time!

See some gamers had problem starting the game in windows 10, only issue i had is i like to play in full screen and it wouldnt work on laptop initial used to leave borders down either side of screen then seemed to right itself, now just my main desktop PC and have to play in windowed mode so if anyone has any tips on how to get full screen that would be useful.

FM07 was one of the best before 3D

11 hours ago, Gitzilla said:

Hi,

New to the forum, please be gentle. I'm a huge fan of the old versions of FM, specifically 06 and 08. I was wondering if anyone plays these versions on modern systems? I'm thinking of buying a modern laptop with no OS and installing Windows 7 on it, can anyone see any issues with this? Specifically looking at this https://www.ebuyer.com/947189-asus-m509da-ryzen-3-8gb-256gb-ssd-15-6-no-os-laptop-m509da-bq349

Would love to be able to play a huge in-depth version of 08 with a large number of leagues and full database.

You're best off asking in this forum dude:

17 hours ago, Gitzilla said:

Hi,

I still play FM2006. It goes like a rocket, even on an Intel Atom tablet, so you won't have any problems with performance. 

You'll probably have to jump through hoops to get it running on Windows 10 though. (Windows 7 is much easier.) 

9 hours ago, DementedHammer said:

I still play FM2006. It goes like a rocket, even on an Intel Atom tablet, so you won't have any problems with performance. 

You'll probably have to jump through hoops to get it running on Windows 10 though. (Windows 7 is much easier.) 

Good to hear. I've gone the parallels route on my Mac, installed Windows 7 and just installed FM2008. Game won't boot up, asking me to insert the original disc even tho that's what's in the drive. Gonna have to go on a quest to find a 12 year old patch now 😂

Been playing an old Hibs save on the classic mode on FM14 the last two or three days, been getting right back into it. The match engine is pretty laughable compared to the advancements that have occurred since, but it's still hugely enjoyable. They never bettered the skin on the original classic mode of FM13 & 14. Best thing is though, even though I have loads of leagues loaded and I'm about 8 seasons in, it's zipping through the weeks. Which is nice. 

On 02/09/2020 at 17:47, Grogsy said:

If you change the resolution settings, it takes the borders section away, and you can play on full screen. I cant remember what resolution it was but i had to do it for FM 12.

• 2 months later...

Not currently because despite the backward step from FM21 beta to FM21 release in terms of the ME, I still have high hopes that it will be the best ME  we've ever had.  But last year when FM20 turned into such an awful ME experience I went back to FM17 which is the best of the more recent games until FM21 beta.

On 29/08/2019 at 22:47, Savo7en said:

Fm18 and 17 for me currently - really like the 2d view on fm17 that showed the stadium and crowd. 

FM18 I'm in 2041 with Bangor City of Wales having just won the Europa League for the 1st time and in FM17 I'm in 2042 with West Ham having started unemployed and then worked my way up from Vanarama South with Kidderminster followed by moves to Barrow, Blackburn and Crystal Palace. 

West Ham's stadium is an 87, 000 seater named after me which pretty smart. 

Had a son come into youth team at Blackburn but he was awful! 

Steve Bruce feels your pain.