Football Manager 2020 Pre-Release Beta *Official* Feedback Thread

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Random question, people always talk about in FM19 how Gegenpress is overpowered, but has anyone really been able to work out why? Because, if you watch the game in any real kind of depth... it's *isn't* gegenpressing, at all... players press with intensity but only ever on the ball carrier. 

2 minutes ago, bobbyb12345 said:

Random question, people always talk about in FM19 how Gegenpress is overpowered, but has anyone really been able to work out why? Because, if you watch the game in any real kind of depth... it's *isn't* gegenpressing, at all... players press with intensity but only ever on the ball carrier. 

I don't have as much insight as some others on here, but I think in FM terms it's less about winning the ball high up the pitch and more about keeping the opponent pinned in their half so that you camp in it. You will often notice when using a high press, that the AI doesn't have an out ball very often, so they constantly turn possession over to you.

8 minutes ago, Johnny Ace said:

I think my tactic broke the ME, conceded 4 goals in a league season, nuts

Untitled.thumb.png.59409454a3c65e00d1ac7744b81b61ef.png

Penalties, one on ones  strikers not scoring, poppy-cock :D

170469379_Untitled1.thumb.png.81fd10de676b9a0b2458db820b89a3cf.png

:D Would be good to see what its doing defensively. Are teams not stressing you out at all?

Think its worth a PKM or 2

2 minutes ago, themadsheep2001 said:

:D Would be good to see what its doing defensively. Are teams not stressing you out at all?

Doesn't seem right at all does it? Doing nothing crazy, only PI's on the AMC, Dribble More, Take more risks 

1605065246_Untitled1.thumb.png.620cfd203ace3f6b8ac2d10d7a82edb7.png

First 15 or so league games, I was on Balanced, teams gave me a game, then were playing 4-1-4-1 or 5 at the back & I moved up to Positive/Attacking depending on who I was playing against. Biggest win was my last game, already relegated Frankfurt just rolled over & we put 8 past them. Europe was a completely different story :D 

FC Bayern v Fortuna Düsseldorf.pkm

I've been playing around with Milan and have noticed a few small things.

Most match reports will mention the ref checking VAR, even if the incident isn't controversial. While refs do check VAR for everything in real life, the game doesn't need to mention it as often as it does. Perhaps it's placed a little too high on the relevant events list. 

I applaud SI's dedication to realism by having VAR come up in every press conference, annoying as it is.

More seriously, press conference questions do irritate eventually due to the repetitive wording and, at times, sheer irrelevancy of the question. I want to single out new question about "player x surely having the attributes to succeed against team y", because in a single presser, I got the exact same question about three separate players, and in every instance, I struggled to think of a scenario where I would disagree. These were interspersed with the usual questions about other teams that having nothing to do with the one I'm managing, my opinion on the transfer listing of some random player, and so on. 

Generally, I think the lack of recognised narratives in the FM world make press conferences as mundane as they are. In reality, there's always a story, legitimate or otherwise, that is mentioned during press conferences whereas in game there's very little like that, besides the "spat with opposition manager" thing that crops up out of nowhere every now and then. I don't know how to implement this sort of thing, but maybe more questions about specific events from a previous match, how the team is playing, how individual players are doing, etc. could help add more variety. They could even pull from the game's excellent analysis and stat tracking e.g. "player x has only played y minutes this season, is he part of your plans this season?", which could then lead to something like "fans are concerned x player isn't playing, what do you think" and so on. 

I briefly played around with having the DoF control all transfer activity and contract renewals. He gave Bonnaventura and Calhanoglu new deals, but then, weeks later, sent me a message claiming neither player justified their salary and advising me to do something about it. More confusingly, he gave them both "important player" status, despite neither being first choice for me all season long. It seems the game gave them a contract based on their CA and reputation, while more contextual factors such as playing time weren't a part of the equation. I'm aware asking the AI to make such sophisticated decisions is a big ask, but I thought I'd point it out. Another thing I noticed was that despite the agreed club vision being a preference for signing u23 players, the DoF's recommended targets for January were all 30 years old or older. Given the DoF plays a large part in defining club vision in real life, I feel there needs to be better synergy between that and his delegated responsibilities. 

As for the match engine, I have nothing major to add that hasn't already been discussed. I'd only like to point out that crossing is working very well for me and the majority of my goals have been headers; some of which have been from the edge of the box or from weird angles. My tactic is designed to do this, but I thought it was interesting given there were observations about a lack of crossing. 12 of my last 24 assists have been crosses.

Not posted in here for a few days. So bit more feedback and a match that sums FM and footy up.

As I've got used to the updated menus and navigation, tried few skins, for me in all the small things basically QoL things some I didn't know I wanted but are so good, i.e the reports from loan manager really useful, playing time I could go on but you get the idea, the ME issues are still there but it seems to be a bit better after .3 update, No real complaints from me, I am really enjoying my experience in 20 so still a big thumbs up from me.

Now I've just had one of those matches that ain't good for the old ticker, you all know I'm Everton, I'm using 442 this year (see other threads) having good season and it's F.A cup semi-final day I've got Arsenal at Wembley, lively opening 20 but no good chances for either side, then 26 min, my FB sloppy pass cracking strike from Lacazette, then we got more involved in game a ding dong end to end battle with neither side quite connecting up top then 71st Richarlison bought down in box VAR PEN, old reliable Baines misses AAAARRRRGGGHHH!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! then more end to end couple of near misses both sides, 94th min Richarlison whips in a cross Moise like a salmon BACK OF THE NET!!! YYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSS!!!!!!! extra time both teams tiring few long shots strikers not getting on end of balls into box, pretty scrappy really, rembered 4th sub in extra time so bring on Schneiderlin for Gbamin just for PENS We score they miss first, its gonna be my day i'm thinking, then Gylfi misses NOOOOOO!!!, they score we score they miss, then Schneiderlin remember I bought him on just for this so of course he misses, after 7 penalties each I lost 5-4, absolutely gutted and exhausted it took me t'mill n'back that match, as you can see we pretty much matched Arsenal

image.thumb.png.b049ac658b4c28cae81a7eac1d58a0c4.pngand I like what Emery said after the match image.thumb.png.cdeebe8c4ecb73cac181797b0622d6f4.png

So in summary after that it's like I love it, I hate it, I love it, I hat it, I love it, I ha it, I love it, I h it, I LUUURRRVVVEEE IT:idiot::idiot::idiot:

1 hour ago, bobbyb12345 said:

I've been playing gegenpress successfully in National League South & what I have seen is the constant pressing of the ball carrier soon leads to a poor pass or a successful tackle.  The AI doesn't seem to adapt it's tactic so it keeps giving up possession and often in their own half.

1 hour ago, RocheBag said:

Can someone tell me if wingbacks in the WBR/WBL position actually come out and press now?

I am sorry they were pressing even in FM19. Its not like its a new thing for them to come out and press now. I made a 415 which required my wingbacks to press otherwise we'd be hammered. 

2 hours ago, Rashidi said:

I am sorry they were pressing even in FM19. Its not like its a new thing for them to come out and press now. I made a 415 which required my wingbacks to press otherwise we'd be hammered. 

Having fiddled around at great length trying to get various 5-3-2-ish formations to work - strongly disagree

If you set them to WBR/L they drop back into a back 5, regardless of closing down settings. If you set them to MR/L they frequently let wingers walk past them into oceans of space. I've tried every single possible closing down and marking setting and fiddled on endlessly with lines of engagement and so forth. This is definitely, definitely a thing.

The only way to get them to join in pressing in combination with midfielders is for them to do it before they have a chance to get back and join the defensive line, which means playing a high line, lots of closing down, counterpressing etc... if you do that then the wingbacks will go to the ball if it comes near them while they're still forward. But once the opponents have established possession they'll drop into a back 5 and only close down if the ball gets past the midfield line. This forces, for example, your 3 midfielders in a 5-3-2 to run from side to side, which they tend to do in a chaotic, clustered fashion, leaving huge gaps. It makes playing a defensive-minded, low block 5-3-2 (which should be really straightforward and solid) a horrible experience because you're always getting overrun in midfield and allowing crosses to come in when you should be stopping that threat further up the pitch, getting tight to wingers as they receive the ball and so forth. The wingbacks should be working with the midfielders to close down threats on the wings far enough from goal to stop the cross, but instead they drop back to the 18 yard line, the ball is switched and that's it, loads of space.

There is basically no combination of settings I haven't tried to compensate for this

Edited by ceefax the cat

2 hours ago, ceefax the cat said:

If you set them to MR/L they frequently let wingers walk past them into oceans of space.

I almost feel like i need to stick in screenshots to prove my point but over the years i realise its futile., I am actually sitting in front on my machine now and my WB has twice shut out a winger and once he's even decided our halfback needs an extra hand, now that pissed me off . Last year i created a 415 which needed my wingbacks to press high and early, even before the opposition wingers latched onto the ball, otherwise that tactical system would have failed miserably. I have an entire season of youtube videos which show this happening. This year I am able to do it again. So I am just gonna leave this discussion here and walk away, cos i don't want to beat a horse to death. If that is your experience, then you havent' done everything possible.

It may very well be possible that in a 532 the wingbacks may retreat a bit too much for people's liking, but i wasn't playing a 532. My point was merely addressed to whether wingbacks stepped up to press early. They do in my system which is not a 532.

I wondered if the data had been finalised yet for knowing which jobs an unemployed manager can take at commencement of the game

I want to start my journeyman save as unemployed but with the new data on release so will be starting my main save then.

I have commenced my journeyman save on the Beta to see what opportunities I could get and following interviews I took I got the Stenhousemuir job in the Scottish league.  

Will this job be still be available for an unemployed manager starting the game with the new data on release as if so I can start formulating my tactics and save them over to import later when the new data comes out in preparation for my main save. As I know in the past certain jobs that you can take as an unemployed manager have changed from the Beta to release.

Thanks

Latest update is a lot better, far easier to play on my MacBook. Nice one SI.

Only issues now are regarding the match engine, players can't score one-on-ones, and by that I mean strikers with finishing of 16,17 literally missing 19/20 of them. Players seem to miss 8/10 penalties too.

Also, why do players never square the ball for tap ins? Literally the most agonising thing ever about the match engine, doesn't seem to recognise when the square ball is on.

12 minutes ago, wazza said:

I wondered if the data had been finalised yet for knowing which jobs an unemployed manager can take at commencement of the game

I want to start my journeyman save as unemployed but with the new data on release so will be starting my main save then.

I have commenced my journeyman save on the Beta to see what opportunities I could get and following interviews I took I got the Stenhousemuir job in the Scottish league.  

Will this job be still be available for an unemployed manager starting the game with the new data on release as if so I can start formulating my tactics and save them over to import later when the new data comes out in preparation for my main save. As I know in the past certain jobs that you can take as an unemployed manager have changed from the Beta to release.

Thanks

As Neil says, the data has not been finalised. 

hace 6 horas, anagain dijo:

What have SI done to the news item for available players for a youth team? They have ruined it.

Why must there be a pop up when selecting players to be available? I like to select various players with different amounts of playing time. I either have to select all or open a new pop up window and select one, before opening another pop up window and selecting another. Why can't the pop up list of players just stay open? Why must it close after every selection? Let the player close the window when they have finished making selections.

youthavailpopup.thumb.png.5e710b4bd4716a240205fb96b3b9d444.png

youthavailpopup_changes.thumb.png.19cc4539f626c5f40c3219c691455a7a.png

It is so much extra work for the player to have to keep reopening that list of players that can be made available.

This worked so well in FM19. I don't understand why it was changed. Right now it easier to just go to your squad screen and make selections for players avalibility for youth teams. It's not perfect becuase you have to deal with more than just selection menus, but it's less finicky than the availibility news item. At least your squad window stays open when you change a player.

Totally agree, hate to have to open the popup for every player!

13 часов назад, Johnny Ace сказал:

I think my tactic broke the ME, conceded 4 goals in a league season, nuts

Untitled.thumb.png.59409454a3c65e00d1ac7744b81b61ef.png

Penalties, one on ones  strikers not scoring, poppy-cock :D

170469379_Untitled1.thumb.png.81fd10de676b9a0b2458db820b89a3cf.png

Win Bundesliga for Bayern can anyone, you will try to relegate Bayern in 2Bundesliga :lol: if seriously 4 AG is impressive result, my record was 18 AG in 38 games by Milan in FM16 as I remember

18 hours ago, saiyaman said:

Isn't that the whole point of Beta?

1. Get to see the game early.

2. Be a part of the public testing.

It's understandable that you aren't having fun but unfortunately you cannot expect that in the Beta. There will be major and minor bugs which are being worked on by SI which might take a long time to release.

Indeed it is.

But we all saw what happended last year.

The release version of the match engine was many steps down from the beta version.

How are people finding stability since 20.0.3? I've had 3 crash dumps in 4 matches, the most recent of which was at 6-0 up. Always during a match, can see no correlation other than that. Didn't have a single crash before the most recent hotfix.

vor 1 Minute schrieb SuperRedditch:

How are people finding stability since 20.0.3? I've had 3 crash dumps in 4 matches, the most recent of which was at 6-0 up. Always during a match, can see no correlation other than that. Didn't have a single crash before the most recent hotfix.

Please start a thread in the bugs forum with additional information, like your Dxdiag.

4 minutes ago, KUBI said:

Please start a thread in the bugs forum with additional information, like your Dxdiag.

Yeah I posted all my crash dumps another thread of someone having the same issue, but I think I've been stupid and not updated my graphics driver. Geforce experience was interfering in a Total War game so I had to uninstall it. I'm 99% sure it's that.

3 minutes ago, SuperRedditch said:

Yeah I posted all my crash dumps another thread of someone having the same issue, but I think I've been stupid and not updated my graphics driver. Geforce experience was interfering in a Total War game so I had to uninstall it. I'm 99% sure it's that.

Yeah definitely check your NVIDIA drivers are upto date. No idea what they do to their drivers every now and then, but its a nightmare for plenty of my games if you're not updated

On 06/11/2019 at 22:22, Fat_Frank8 said:

I haven't read through the entire thread but surely there are way, way, WAY too many scoring chances/shots? I'm 7 games into Serie A and a selection of results i have seen is:

Continuing on this, playing as Parma at Olimpico against a Lazio side with Inzaghi as the manager, first season. For starters they are playing 4-3-3 with three central strikers, which no team does ever. Particularly not Lazio under Inzaghi. Didn't Miles say something like "we're simulating the real world" on Twitter? 20 minutes in they have had 16 shots of which 10 are on target. Would like to see stats from a Serie A game where one of the teams have had 10 shots on target 20 minutes in. Absolutely ridicilous shots tallies/chances created this year.

Edited by Fat_Frank8

1 hour ago, Novem9 said:

Win Bundesliga for Bayern can anyone, you will try to relegate Bayern in 2Bundesliga :lol: if seriously 4 AG is impressive result, my record was 18 AG in 38 games by Milan in FM16 as I remember

Oh yeah, winning the league is no great achievement, but 4 goals? I wasn't even parking the bus, countering or trying to not concede. The best I did in my 16 year run with Bayern in FM19 was 8, but first season in & numerous Bundesliga records have been broken :D

5 минут назад, Johnny Ace сказал:

Oh yeah, winning the league is no great achievement, but 4 goals? I wasn't even parking the bus, countering or trying to not concede. The best I did in my 16 year run with Bayern in FM19 was 8, but first season in & numerous Bundesliga records have been broken :D

As I understand this sequence you will have 2 in FM21 :D 

15 hours ago, Grunners said:

Posted this separately as thought it was an intended feature (might still be) which I was curious about, but now thinking it is perhaps a bug:

It works as intended, the principle is that you start with the final team after the transfer window in real life. You can sign players on a free or make loans after October-November iirc. I always start with the first transfer window disabled because it adds to the realism.

6 hours ago, Rashidi said:

I'm talking about wingbacks in a 3 at the back system. They absolutely did not press anything like a real 3 at the back system in FM19. 3 at the back is built around the ball side wingback pressing very aggressively while the weak side wingback slots into a back 4. This wasn't happening nearly enough in FM19, often leaving the central midfielders to come out and press the wings.

Does anyone know if this is better in 20?

15 hours ago, themadsheep2001 said:

Oft the case with top Teams, as unlike in Football, the AI oft doesn't have a go at them. (Even) The AI managed to go with conceding 8 Goals on the Occasion as Bayern on FM15 too already. What may have influenced on that is that ME inherent Teams tactically sitting Deep were struggling to get out of their half again in General.... I restarted a couple fun saves on that release to check how Long I could go without conceding a Goal. Every time I took the lead, I let them recycle the ball Deep (easy since Pressing was weak). However, at some Point during the first dozen or Matches the defensive AI was awarded a set piece, and from that the Goal was scored and spell broken. Unless you don't concede a shot at all over the Season, a Goal may still happen. :( (RNG) 

Edited by Svenc

• SI Staff
51 minutes ago, DP said:

Is it possible for keepers to get injured in the ME? I know they can’t be sent off but can they still get injured?

If no it’s pointless playing with a sub keeper. 

They can, yes.

1 hour ago, Vali184 said:

It works as intended, the principle is that you start with the final team after the transfer window in real life. You can sign players on a free or make loans after October-November iirc. I always start with the first transfer window disabled because it adds to the realism.

But... if you check that thread, my club did sign someone whilst I was on holiday (the only club that did so). So that must be a bug then? 

Additionally, was looking for confirmation that this option has therefore changed in recent years, as previously (up to at least FM15) 'disable first window' meant you could still sign loans and frees, you just didn't have any money to spend.

Started a European journeyman save, lost my first job 3/4 of the way into the season, and despite having every league in Europe loaded, I simply cannot get another job. I've had one interview in 4 months with Bath City in the lowest playable English league, and didn't get the job. I know it's all based on reputation, and I don't have one star yet, but it should be a bit easier to land a lower league job when you're first starting out, otherwise what's the point? 

Forgive me if I come across as a total noob with this question but I've never played the BETA before.  Over the years I've seen comments like "play the BETA and decide if you want to play the game" so always assumed you could download the BETA if you haven't pre ordered the game or not.  But from what I can find it seems you can only download the BETA if you have purchased or pre ordered the game?  Can someone clarify?  Thanks.