[FM20] Glory Glory Tottenham Hotspur

RageMaster

42 minutes ago, SD said:

He's rather poor right now, Championship level at best.

Personally I think he should be a -9 this update, he's athletic, composed, comfortable on the ball, tactically versatile, great mentality, he really looks to have a high ceiling.

Cheers for letting me know.

I could probably find an editor file on Steam Workshop of someone who has improved him.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Figured I'd share.  Started a Spurs save and was nearly fired in year 1 as we struggled to score.  Switched formations to an attacking 4-2-4 and have been unstoppable ever since.  Won the UCL, Prem and FA Cup in year 2.  Currently in year 3 and haven't lost.

Harry Kane set numerous records and won every major award.  He scored 35 goals in the Prem, 51 overall.  

Erling Haaland added 11 in the Prem, 23 overall.

Suso set the assist record, with 23 assists while scoring 17 goals (7 Prem).

Gio Lo Celso was somehow Player of the Season with an avg. rating of 7.76, 9 goals, and 15 assists.

Highly recommend the formation.

Screen Shot 2020-02-09 at 1.05.52 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-02-09 at 1.00.42 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-02-09 at 12.57.39 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-02-09 at 12.57.59 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-02-09 at 12.57.20 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-02-09 at 12.56.35 PM.png

22 hours ago, merv7 said:

Screen Shot 2020-02-09 at 1.05.52 PM.png

No defend duties outside the CB & GK, 4 attack duties, all with attacking mentality and winning everything. Why even bother trying to create balanced tactics? :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
On 22/02/2020 at 13:27, RageMaster said:

Hi all, I will be updating the first post of this thread later today and of course will be starting a new save on the new patch.

1st Post and 2nd post now updated! Anyone still playing as Spurs or going to start a new save on the new patch?

I started a new patch save today.

Staff is an issue, the replacemtents that came weren't that good, so most I replaced.

Pre-Season and the start sucks with Holidays and Injuries, which 3 games in, I've still not been able to use Gedson\Dele\Lo Celso\Foyth\Aurier\Son.

Promoted Cirkin, Skipp for Pre-Season, Just scraped through.. Full-Backs need some depth and as you posted, need to make a call on a declining Jan.. I will likely sell in January's Window as i mised this one. Sanchez can partner Toby for now, then we've got a few back-ups

CIrkin will do a job fo Pre-season, and lower cup games, but he's a season out for most. He'll progress well with me due to my OCD Training, and the fact he'll be used to rest players. Parrot also got a bump and is the same really. He'll rest Kane now and then (Or he'll fall into my "If players scores a Hatrick, bring on the youth player...")

Speaking of Pre-Season, Tangana got played as right back for the lot - Kicked on very well from it, so he may well get more game time in season 1, to the point he can stay for a few seasons - still don't knw how he'll turn out yet.

Vorm went for £1.5M, Wanyama for £20M to get some funds in. I mainly got some younger players in this time. Will post them next time i'm on and not half asleep. Aurier and the Loanee's will be on my sell list soon as well.

4-5-1 ATM for me, as the AMC's were all crocked.. Dier as HB (Depating that), Split press (Forwards Press, back-line don't). I'll blank Template it soon, and just add when needed. Lo Celso will 100% get told more risky passes.

On 23/02/2020 at 23:02, plcarlos said:

I started a new patch save today.

Staff is an issue, the replacemtents that came weren't that good, so most I replaced.

Pre-Season and the start sucks with Holidays and Injuries, which 3 games in, I've still not been able to use Gedson\Dele\Lo Celso\Foyth\Aurier\Son.

Promoted Cirkin, Skipp for Pre-Season, Just scraped through.. Full-Backs need some depth and as you posted, need to make a call on a declining Jan.. I will likely sell in January's Window as i mised this one. Sanchez can partner Toby for now, then we've got a few back-ups

CIrkin will do a job fo Pre-season, and lower cup games, but he's a season out for most. He'll progress well with me due to my OCD Training, and the fact he'll be used to rest players. Parrot also got a bump and is the same really. He'll rest Kane now and then (Or he'll fall into my "If players scores a Hatrick, bring on the youth player...")

Speaking of Pre-Season, Tangana got played as right back for the lot - Kicked on very well from it, so he may well get more game time in season 1, to the point he can stay for a few seasons - still don't knw how he'll turn out yet.

Vorm went for £1.5M, Wanyama for £20M to get some funds in. I mainly got some younger players in this time. Will post them next time i'm on and not half asleep. Aurier and the Loanee's will be on my sell list soon as well.

4-5-1 ATM for me, as the AMC's were all crocked.. Dier as HB (Depating that), Split press (Forwards Press, back-line don't). I'll blank Template it soon, and just add when needed. Lo Celso will 100% get told more risky passes.

Definetely right about the staff although Sacramento seems to have random stats so is sometimes good enough to keep.

I have started about 3 saves since this new patch with Spurs but I have yet to get into a save properly. Really doesn't help how some players basically have no pre-season and it's hard to get your tactics to gel from the off.

• 1 month later...

Has anyone tried to create a Pochettino 4-2-3-1 tactic and had any successes with it? I have been watching some old games from 2015 to 2017 and that last half season at the old WHL has made me want to try and replicate his 4-2-3-1 and 3-4-2-1 tactics that we used that season. 

• 5 weeks later...

In the latest patch only start off with 15M budget and only have a few options to sell like sissoko so moneys pretty tight. Any full back recommendations seeing as though that's probably the weakest part of the squad. Muenier from PSG a cheap option just for first season until get a proper budget? What about a LB? 

So in first month starting up have sold lamela and Jan and brought in Alex telles, munier (looks like a moody git), James Rodriguez on loan and bought dembele from Celtic and Bellingham from Brum and loaned them both back for season. Trying to sell sissoko and had him sold for 18m but levy blocked it saying he wanted 20.25m minimum so he's still around and is now out injured for 4 weeks so might not be able to shift him. 

The one thing I actually forgot was how many injuries you start off with. Davies, Dele, aurier, sessignon, foyth and lo celso so pretty short of options for first few months. 

So anyone still playing with spurs? 

Who is the one player that has surprised you so far from the real life squad? For me so far it's Lucas, has been quality and pleasantly surprised with winks as well who has deputised well for ndombele when needed. 

• 2 weeks later...

I STARTED WITH SPURS TOO!!

(Long post, no TL;DR, this isn't Reddit nerds)

Just bought FM little over a fortnight ago during the sale and recently got around to finally starting a save. Tradition is to go with Manchester United first up, but with the **** they pulled suing SI, I don't think I'll ever manage them in FM again. Despicable stuff. But I digress. I've always admired Tottenham from afar, always wanted to manage them but never got around to. Having recently come off a 10-season Road to Glory Salford City save in FM19, I wanted some top dog action. And immediatley, I knew I wanted to manage Spurs. Overthrow the moneybags (and Arsenal) top 4, and finally win the Champions League; those were the lofty ambitions I set out with. Confidently read the first few mails in the inbox, but when I got to my Squad page my heart sank. 

OH GOD THE INJURIES!!

Delle Ali - Hamstring Strain - 6-8 weeks

Ben Davies - Torn Groin Muscle - 4-6 weeks

Serge Aurier - Broken Hand - 3-6 weeks

Ryan Sessegnon - Torn Hamstring - 3-4 months

Juan Foyth - Torn Ankle Ligaments - 2-4 months

Gedson Fernandes - Broken Toe - 2-3 months

For a minute I considered just quitting and starting up with another club, or with the 20.3 patch. But well, for some reason I hung around. And without going into too much detail, managed to get through the pre-season with Cirkin and Skipp playing key roles in the squad. Tanganga was a perpetual fixture at RB throughout, until I got the chance to sign Meunier (transfer-listed at PSG) for like 4m.

I needed to make some moves in the transfer market. And fast. 15m was absolutely NOT enough. And checking transfer history I found that Eriksen was sold to Inter Milan for 17 FREAKING MILLION. 17 MILLION GUYS! I would have to pay more than that to sign Charlie Adam!! (not really, but you get what I mean)

Within the first month, I managed (SOMEHOW) to sell the following players:

Toby Alderweireld - 40m - Manchester United

Okay so he was the first player I started offering out to clubs, and did that maybe 3 times with a gap of 2 days between each iteration. I had a bunch of clubs interested, and a few bid like 15m or so. Wasn't having none of that. Left him on transfer listed, upped his asking price to 40m and started him throughout the first 3 weeks of friendlies, and suddenly saw that beautiful 'Wnt' bubble next to his name. Hovered over it, saw United's name, offered him out immediately  without looking at price or whatever, and clicked continue. United bid 40m non-negotiable!! I don't think I've ever clicked accept so fast on a transfer offer for any of my players throughout all my FM saves! Bit of luck this one.

Moussa Sissoko - 30m - Leicester City

I offered him out to clubs once, for 35m, and that piqued a few clubs' interest. Played him in the friendlies, and I guess he must've impressed (there were a LOT of friendlies) and consequently Leicester and two other clubs bid 20-something million for him. Managed to negotiate Leicester to 30m outright, that being after I just bought a played from them (mentioned below)

Erik Lamela - 18m - DL Pro (China)

This was difficult. At one point I almost accepted 12m for him, but common sense prevailed and I rejected all bids. Newcastle really wanted him, but wouldn't bid above 12m. Gave it a few days and a couple games, then offered him out again. Lo and behold, the Chinese DL Pro team come in with a negotiable 15m offer. Squeezed 18m outright out of them, and felt satsfied for the most part.

Michel Vorm - 2.5m - Al Duhail (KSA)

Most straightforward of the bunch. He's valued at 1.5m. Offered him out for 3m. Got offers for 2m, negotiated up to 2.5m with two Arab clubs. He chose one himself. We parted ways amicably. 

These weren't sold together, some were at the beginning, some were towards the end of the transfer window, but overall that gave me a good 72million (80% of 90.5million) plus the original transfer budget of 15m to play with. And boy did I play.

Ruben Dias - D(C) - BPD

First and foremost, I needed a good reliable BPD, and ain't none better in this year's game than Ruben Dias. Bought him for an initial fee of 13.5m HEAVILY loaded with installment payments over the next 3 years and appearance/performance-related bonuses, for a maximum of 42.5m. Phew. One down.

(Alderweireld gets sold, casssshhh comes in)

Ricardo Pereira - D(R) - FB

Next, I needed quality at RB; Aurier and Tanganga just wouldn't cut it. Meunier did come in, but with Aurier out for God knows how long and his rehabilitation period, I felt like I needed a strong permanent #1 option at RB for the next few years. I had only one name in my mind; Max Aarons. I didn't have silly money tho. Infact, I barely had any. So I went to Leicester, and after negotiating twice, finally managed to get a fee of 12.75m initial plus bonuses (for a total of 36m) agreed for Ricardo Pereira. And no I didn't do that blindly, or just because he was one of the first options my scouts brought up. His stats are insane in this game. He defends well and attacks insanely well. At the half-way point now, and he's arguably my best signing so far! Defense sorted!

Thomas Meunier - D(R) - FB

Thomas Meunier. Transfer-listed at moneybags PSG. For just 4m. What a shame. I'll have him. For 1.2m plus 5m in bonuses though. Oh you agree? Perfect, merci beaucoup you nonces. On a wage of 70k per week, but understood he was here to be just a squad player. He's been absolutely BRILLIANT when called upon so far. If Ricardo wasn't in the form he's in right now, this guy would start every game. Must buy at the start of your game! Defense re-inforced!

(Sissoko is somehow sold, STONKS!)

Sandro Tonali - M(C) - DLP

I needed some proper creativity in midfield. I mean, Ndombele is amazing, a sheer force of nature really, and Winks is a passing maestro, but those are the only two I had for this season. I needed an understudy, someone who would orchestrate my attacks for years to come. A Pirlo of quarterbacks, so to speak. And I found exactly that. Pirlo's doppelganger, Sando freakin Tonali. This guy, people, ooff! Brescia quoted me somewhere around 84m at first, but I expressed my interest in signing him, as a top target. And he warmed up to me. After a couple weeks I went in again with another long-term heavy bid, and THEY ACCEPTED! I got Tonali in for 15.5m upfront with a total fee of 36m in installments over the next 3 years. AND a further 12m in add-ons. I will be paying nearly 50m for Tonali over the course of playing him. And I'm pretty darn sure I got myself a steal. The kid has been serving up a passing extravaganza so far in the PL and Champions League.

Right about now, things were starting to come together and my team, my vision for the future was starting to take shape. And I wasn't done yet.

Will update soon, that was a lot to type! There's a few more signings and some amazing results I'd want to share. (Hint: the other marquee signing could just as well belong to refrigeration dunasty!) 

*All prices are in GBP, wage is per week

Summary of Player Buys

Ruben Dias - base fee 15million; 3 yearly payments of 6m each; 1m after 20 league appearances, 1m after 30, 1.5m after 40, 2.5m after 50; 1.5m after 10 int'nl appearance, 2.5m after 20; 1.5m after winning CL (by 20/21)

image.thumb.png.db0d0ac7816bca4ffe78cf47533d5dbb.png

Ricardo Pereira - base fee 12million; 3 yearly payments of 6m each; 4 m after 50 league appearances; 4m after 20 int'nl appearances

image.thumb.png.89238e365d3698b53a42bd1dbd2bd276.png

Some youth signings for good measure:

image.thumb.png.e6cc3abb6b4edbff563469d48b8c51fd.png

image.thumb.png.11dbdf749f4cc4266eebd01397460c84.png

image.thumb.png.8f78cb7f31ce66c0c7b74999853cff66.png

(This is also my first post on a forum ever, being a major lurker and having played every FM since 2015 so be kind please! And let me know if there's any written aspect I could expand on or perfect. Oh and sorry for hijacking your post OP, this just seems like a natural place for Spurs managers to convene :) )

Edited by gargovich
Formatting

• 2 months later...

I've also started a career with Tottenham. My take on the team:

Overall: The team has some quality, but not as much as PL Champion type of quality. Especially when you take into account some aspects that are very important on the game (also IRL?) like pace for forwards and jumping mostly for defenders, but at least someone that can help you with set-pieces. Also no set-piece taker. In FM terms, top attributes along Spurs players are 15-16 not 17-20 as you'd expect of a PL Contender.

GK: Lloris grants you quality for some years, Gazza is a decent back-up. No point in investing in there at the start. Vorm and Whiteman are not reliable options and can be sold.

RB: Aurier, Foyth and Tanganga are your starting options. Decent, back-ups, not more than that. It was were I spent some money on the first season. Hysaj, Hateboer and Meunier are decent options (though not much better than Aurier).

LB: Davies and Sessegnon are once again decent options. Look out for Reguillon ending his contract on the end of the season. I let my DoF negotiate, he made a mess, so I didn't get him. Spent 60M+ on Gaya. Grimaldo is also a good option. On the first season I've opted to loan Sessegnon and kept Cirkin. Not good enough for the first team, but can play cup games and lets you rest Davies.

CB: Here is one of those places were good is the enemy of great. Jan, Toby, Davinson, Foyth and Dier are good. None of them is great. And none of them will get you goals on corners/FKs... On my second season I'm trying to sign Demiral from Juventus or Dias from Benfica. I've opted to renew Jan's contract. If I had gotten Reguillon, would probably invest on the CB and either let Jan run out his contract or try to sell him. Be careful on how you handle him as he starts as the team captain.

CM: Dier is basically the only defensive midfielder. Winks and Ndombele can play there, but they're both more offensive players. Speaking of them, very decent as DPL, Ndombele is also good on some more mobile roles. Lo Celso is your top tier midfielder, great playmaker, probably second name on the teamsheet. Sissoko is also a good backup with the bonus of being able to play on multiple positions. Gedson is close to Sissoko. Decent, can be retrained to play on the wing. Will stay with you for 2 seasons. Now... Dele Alli. Tricky one... He doesn't have the pace to be a winger, doesn't have the vision to be a playmaker. He has good mental stats, and dribbling also decent finishing. Might want to play him as DLF/F9 next to Kane or out wide as an IF (though his lack of pace is troubling...), can even be played as a MEZ/BBM/RPM as CM. On my experience he won't excel on any of those roles but he's valuable over the season. Keep an eye on Maddison as he's a good set-piece taker and English (helps with CL registration and club vision)

W: Son, Lucas, Lamela and Bergwijn are your choices for the wings. Son stands out, but I never could get him to be consistent. Lucas and Bergwijn are decent backups and will do for the first season, but reinforcements are needed for a step up. Lamela is a different kind of player. He can be a number 10 playing wide, will help you unlock some games, but has some trouble staying fit. Jack Clarke provides the much needed pace when he returns from loan on the 2nd season.

ST: Kane is your star player. Not much backup. Parrott is still a long way from being an option on his first season, Son and Alli can play there. About Kane: FM seems to favor strikers with good dribbling, acceleration and agility. Kane is definitely not that kind of player, but his stats are incredible, so play him. Moussa Dembelé, Gabriel Barbosa (can also play on the wing) and Lautaro, for instance, are great players who might be available for a decent price on the second season.

Just started my save. Tops of the league through 4 games.... that’s an unfair assessment of how we are playing though. Been very fortunate on set pieces and penalties.

things I’m wrestling with and would love your help;

-How do you get Alli, Gio, Ndombele all on the pitch and in what roles/positions?? Gio and Tanguy are firing but can’t go Alli going.

-Do you play Sess as your backup LB or do you have him back up Sonny on the left?

-What role do you play Kane in? Also when you rotate Parrot in do you play him the same way?

• 1 month later...
On 08/08/2020 at 04:22, Dustman2015 said:

Just started my save. Tops of the league through 4 games.... that’s an unfair assessment of how we are playing though. Been very fortunate on set pieces and penalties.

things I’m wrestling with and would love your help;

-How do you get Alli, Gio, Ndombele all on the pitch and in what roles/positions?? Gio and Tanguy are firing but can’t go Alli going.

-Do you play Sess as your backup LB or do you have him back up Sonny on the left?

-What role do you play Kane in? Also when you rotate Parrot in do you play him the same way?

Lo Celso is a perfect DLP (S) for me, and I play Ndombele as a DLP (D), he's also excellent there. I've never managed to get Alli going at all really, I can't find the right position or role for him at all and usually end up selling him after two or three seasons.

Sessegnon can develop into a good LB (he's fairly quick, which can improve, and speed seems to be more important than defensive attributes for a full back in FM). Really, he can back up both at LB and on the wing.

Kane is another player I find it difficult to find the right role for - irl he's a complete forward but that doesn't seem to work too well in the game. I tend to use him as a DLF (A), lone striker. It's not ideal but he's so good he still scores a few goals. Parrott's attributes seem quite random at the start of the game so I wait to see what sort of striker he develops into.

Anyone had any luck with the roles for Kane and Dele?

Can't wait to get Bale and Reguilon going for us, time to head off to the Editors' forum for an update I think....

Edited by iainb

• 1 month later...

Really enjoying using Spurs in the beta. We are way more balanced than we have been in a long time. Not sure if Son’s gotten a boost, but he’s performing well for me. Sissoko seems underrated as usual. Vinicius has been tearing up the Europa league. Sold Rose at the start, and brought in John Stones. Rodon and Tanganga have been loaned out. I can’t find any minutes for Gedson or Lamela right now, might try to end Gedson’s loan early. Europe has been great for bedding in the new signings and finding minutes for everyone. I’m playing Deli more than Mourinho is, but he’s not a starter when everyone is healthy. There’s interest in him, so I might sell him in January to raise some funds. 

On 11/11/2020 at 20:56, Come_On_You_Spurs said:

10 million up front, and 14 over 3 years. City want to sell and his wages aren’t bad 

Wow, also signed stones. £7m up front then £15m over three years, he's formed a solid partnership with Dier. Agree about Dele, i'm playing him more than Mourinho does and he is performing, but if everyone fit I'd go to a 4-3-3.

Sadly Hojbjerg really is not as good as he has been for us... but did we ever expect him to be this good?! I've posted in data issues about his marking (10), so hopefully they'll look at that. 

Bale has had lots of niggles, its usually Lucas on the RW. Tried to ship Lamela on but was impossible and he's proved himself when offered a chance. 

Son 4 goals and 1 assist in 18 apps, Kane 7 goals 0 assists, 21 apps... you can appreciate my frustration.

There are a few known issues with Spurs I've seen posted about various sections of the 21 Beta Bugs section so there's absolutely no chance this can be a long-term save. 

Jan 5th 2021, 27 games in (bonkers considering season start date) best average rating is Aurier 7.19 (Rotates) and Stones 7.18. The only way is up, COYS!

Bale got injured for 2 months at the start of the season. Just getting him back now. Son has been solid, but unspectacular. Kane has 12 goals in 9 league matches, so I’m pretty happy about that. I agree about Hojbjefg, and Sissoko is starting over him for me. Lo Celso and Ndombele have been inconsistent. Struggling to figure out my best centre back pairing. Reguilon has been my best player so far

Hey everyone,

It's really good to see a few of you starting as Spurs on FM21! I've started a 'mess about' save with Spurs so I'm not taking it too seriously as just using it to get used to some of the new bits but I will be starting over again once the full game is out. I was planning on creating a new thread for FM21 so I will look to get this out soon. 

Thanks RageMaster. I look forward to the new thread. I'll post in here until you have time for that. 

Just reached the new year, Harry Kane won the Golden Ball and World Player of the Year. Bale and Son have struggled with injuries, so my form has been inconsistent. I'm in 3rd, but 2nd-6th is very tight. Man City running away with it at the top. About to sell Aurier for 22.5 million to China. Replacing him with Denzel Dumfries, who looks like he's a proper player. I'm hoping I can get more from Ndombele and Lo Celso, neither have impressed so far. Stones has been a great signing, I plan on going back for him in the full release.

21 hours ago, Come_On_You_Spurs said:

Stones has been a great signing, I plan on going back for him in the full release.

Yep same for me, potential POTY. Aurier the highest average rating for me. 

I had to knock on the head because some bugs were really frustrating me and because it was Spurs I think it was annoying me too much. 

I'll do Spurs on full release. Bale is having his loan deal edited so you can extend for second year. By end of second season though he'll struggle to get many minutes.

Kane Golden Ball wow! I'm surprised SI allow that they seem so anti-Spurs. Realllllllly hoping there is some justice and Pierre Emile Hojbjerg is updated. I'm on a crusade over in PL Data Issues thread to make sure he does.

COYS!

On 15/11/2020 at 00:09, RageMaster said:

Hey everyone,

It's really good to see a few of you starting as Spurs on FM21! I've started a 'mess about' save with Spurs so I'm not taking it too seriously as just using it to get used to some of the new bits but I will be starting over again once the full game is out. I was planning on creating a new thread for FM21 so I will look to get this out soon. 

Really pleased to hear someone is keen to start the FM21 Spurs thread. Planning on starting my Spurs journey when the full release is out, how are you getting on?

I've been managing Spurs in the BETA. It started badly (went as low as 14th), but have now just cracked the top six by mid-December and have a game in hand.

The lure of managing Kane, Bale & Son was what brought me here for the first time. However, Bale has so far managed just 245 minutes (1 goal, no assists) in the first 22 games due to having had four separate injuries (three in matches, one in training) since the season started. These absences have been five weeks, seven days and six days, before his current one which sees him in the middle of another three week lay-off. Has anyone else had such bad luck with Bale? I even dropped his training to the absolute minimums after the first two instances but it hasn't made any difference. 

Luckily Kane has been superb as DLF attack at the head of my 433 (DM wide) and scores virtually a 1:1 ratio. Son (or Alli when Son was occasionally rested) has worked really well as Ramdeuter at AML, and Moura has delivered what I thought Bale might from the right flank with lots of vital goals. The only signing I made was Tyrone Mings for £20.5 million on deadline day (but too late to be eligible for the Europa League games so far) as I felt a left-sided central defender with HGN status would be a good idea. The only sale was Danny Rose (to Burnley). I have quite liked him over the years but having him around as third choice left-back was a waste of his time really.