What's preventing you from playing FM20?

8 hours ago, tarzanofmars said:

What's this?  ^^^

RE OP: I lost interest in my Liverpool save despite winning all my games so far because of the IF/WB behavior, but after but one day off I started a Ranger's save today after the patch and saw improvement, plus saw staff posting letting us know they are aware of our issues and have obviously worked on them, so I'm back on board determined to help.

It will include the Highland/Lowland Leagues and the Junior leagues as well. 

Look for MozzaPlays on Twitter. He's just released a beta version of the database. 

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, phnompenhandy said:

Ironically, I've retired this year. After 20 years of FM-ing I've decided to put all the time I could spend on it to write a novel instead.

Good luck with the writing.  I've managed to fit in both writing a novel and FM, so they're not mutually exclusive :)

1 minute ago, DementedHammer said:

In the long run, those are often the most enjoyable and memorable games. 

My greatest ever save (back in the champ man days) started with a sacking. Started at Birmingham, sacked within a season on to a lower league team & bringing them to the top over 20 years

Finally finishing a Total War: Three Kingdoms campaign. I finally got to an end game situation where I might be able to win, but it saps so much time. So many settlements to micromanage, so many battles to fight. So much unit spam. I just want to win one campaign so I can see what happens at the end (maybe there is a nice video). I'm probably another 100 turns away though, sadly. 

That and playing with the editor. 

Crap match engine. Side net shots 3 times a game, no one on ones scored, and players missing 70% of penalties they take. Its a boring, dull, crap engine that's worse than FM12. I've given SI $240 in the last four years and the biggest change is a new menu for injuries and a graph of a dev center. The games at a complete standstill and needs a desperate re-write. 

4 hours ago, SeaCarrot said:

Crap match engine. Side net shots 3 times a game, no one on ones scored, and players missing 70% of penalties they take. Its a boring, dull, crap engine that's worse than FM12. I've given SI $240 in the last four years and the biggest change is a new menu for injuries and a graph of a dev center. The games at a complete standstill and needs a desperate re-write. 

Tie pin on the manager as well.

Edited by dannysheard

On 23/11/2019 at 20:03, anagain said:

Ahh, so it's phnompenhharrypotter this year, is it?

Good luck to you. I've always loved writing, and really should do something like that. I tend to put my writing towards adding to the careers forum though, such is my gaming addiction.

Well actually, since you mention it ..... much of the story is located in my favourite spot in the Highlands where the films were shot. But no, on so many levels :brock:

It's a dystopian story set in the 2040s, mostly in the Highlands but includes London and Manchester.

I'm too impatient. Any time I go on a run of games where I don't win despite being the better team, I lose all interest in the save. It's a me problem more than it's a problem with the game; I just don't have the perseverance to play through a bad spell. The game always drags me back in because, in theory, I love the management side of football and I love the variety that FM brings in terms of the different ways that you can build and develop one team, combined with all the different teams you can manage. 

With that being said, I do think many people are grossly overstating how good this year's match engine is. I personally think it's mediocre at best because it's just far too predictable to me. 

It's gotten to the point now where I don't get excited by my wingers getting the ball to the byline because I know that nine times out of ten, no matter what options they have in the box, they will elect to shoot from a ridiculous angle. One-on-ones are also still stupid for me; I played about twenty five matches of my Manchester United save before rage quitting and I don't think I ever once saw one of my players score a one-on-one. To be fair, this actually helps me out more than it hinders me in the sense that the way I play lends itself to conceding one-on-ones but it is nonetheless a bit ridiculous how hard they are/have been to score on this year's game. 

Honestly, I just don't know if I'm cut out to be good at FM. It seems like a game that requires a ****load of patience to master and I just don't have it. When I'm doing well on it it's probably the most satisfying game out there but I just come away feeling stupid (or, rather, cheated ;)) when I'm losing. I will keep playing it, and hopefully I'll find a save this year which I can enjoy, but honestly I think it's probably time that I weaned myself off FM for a bit. 

Well, the ME is as the ME is, i started a new CaC game and did have initial success...though my CaC Trikot Kit Designs not applied appropriately is a blatant annoyance bcs if it is not my colours it is not my Team!

The thing is in when i bought the game and hat access to the buy in Beta the Trikot Kits were assigned quite correctly (as far as you can say that after FM18 where it was fully correct and the Graphic overhaul on FM19 that made it only partially work, but it was acceptable) and suddenly toward the release they broke it...

Aside from the usual of full time job, having friends to go out for dinner, playing sports, the real reason that prevents me to play FM20, special this year, is the game has too much micromanagement, too much to do between matches, the hinders the speed. Even if you delegate a lot of stuff to your personnel, there is too much stuff to do, which for me hinders the fun and makes me feel like a have a second job. I play video games for fun, not a job.

Thus why I love so much FMT, if it wasn't for this version, I would probably had walked away from FM altogether.

On 23/11/2019 at 10:29, phnompenhandy said:

Ironically, I've retired this year. After 20 years of FM-ing I've decided to put all the time I could spend on it to write a novel instead.

That is something I like to do. Probably a blessing in disguise, not having an FMT Editor, since this year I focusing on FMT, leaving the editor behind.

Maybe with much free time, I can balance between my writing and FMT. ;)

Edited by grade

I tried FM14 a few years ago and felt like the micromanagement with player instructions was unrealistic, but required in the game. When I lost games or the team played badly, I would reload just to learn (before starting a proper career), but I could never find out what was causing the loss.

Since FM14, I've not heard of one FM being standout yet. They all get the same reception, so I'm lead to believe there's been no major change yet as it's all gone a bit FIFA.

So I'm sticking with my FM 07 mega career until it dies, then I'll be playing another football management game entirely (points for anyone who knows what TFAPLFM99 means). Except for CM 93/94, I'll be done with FM/CM for a long, long time I suspect.

Edited by git2thachoppa

8 minutes ago, git2thachoppa said:

I tried FM14 a few years ago and felt like the micromanagement with player instructions was unrealistic, but required in the game. When I lost games or the team played badly, I would reload just to learn (before starting a proper career), but I could never find out what was causing the loss.

Since FM14, I've not heard of one FM being standout yet. They all get the same reception, so I'm lead to believe there's been no major change yet as it's all gone a bit FIFA.

So I'm sticking with my FM 07 mega career until it dies, then I'll be playing another football management game entirely (points for anyone who knows what TFAPLFM99 means). Except for CM 93/94, I'll be done with FM/CM for a long, long time I suspect.

Do you still play FM07 in old PC?

2 hours ago, grade said:

Do you still play FM07 in old PC?

I play it on a current PC and will be 'upgrading' from Windows 7 to 10 soon.

I've loaded every single nation, league and player and writing about it in the Career and Story forums. Been playing this 'fully loaded' career for a few years and I'm up to 2030.

It's so big now that it won't save unless I compress it, and saving takes 12 minutes. I've also just encountered my first new bug - scouts won't scout!

Edited by git2thachoppa

17 minutes ago, git2thachoppa said:

I play it on a current PC and will be 'upgrading' from Windows 7 to 10 soon.

I've loaded every single nation, league and player and writing about it in the Career and Story forums. Been playing this 'fully loaded' career for a few years and I'm up to 2030.

It's so big now that it won't save unless I compress it, and saving takes 12 minutes. I've also just encountered my first new bug - scouts won't scout!

Hum... I can see how that can be problematic.

On 24/11/2019 at 01:42, sporadicsmiles said:

Finally finishing a Total War: Three Kingdoms campaign. I finally got to an end game situation where I might be able to win, but it saps so much time. So many settlements to micromanage, so many battles to fight. So much unit spam. I just want to win one campaign so I can see what happens at the end (maybe there is a nice video). I'm probably another 100 turns away though, sadly. 

Although nobody will particularly care, I finally did it!! It took 250 turns and over 150 battles, but I finally won a campaign! I felt the need to brag, sorry!

33 minutes ago, sporadicsmiles said:

Although nobody will particularly care, I finally did it!! It took 250 turns and over 150 battles, but I finally won a campaign! I felt the need to brag, sorry!

I care, man. Not played that game myself, but I know how good it feels to complete a game 🤛

What is holding me back is how the ME would be. I suck at FM so I am really dependable on what others create. On FM19 (which I dont really enjoy) all the tactics I used gives me temporary results by playing with instant result button. Games like you lose with 0-1 with 30 shots on goal while other team had 3 shots in consecutive games makes me rage. 

for me its for one not the match engine but is the poor way the made the personality side of the game where your top personality regens get destroyed if you don't have the proper players in your main squad beforehand which creates a long term downward spiral without any way to improve it ... all explained in my post ... the lazy SI guys don't even want to reply which saddens me ... 

14 minutes ago, PAPA Edien said:

for me its for one not the match engine but is the poor way the made the personality side of the game where your top personality regens get destroyed if you don't have the proper players in your main squad beforehand which creates a long term downward spiral without any way to improve it ... all explained in my post ... the lazy SI guys don't even want to reply which saddens me ... 

It took you 3 hours to write that post.

It took SI a year full time + overtime to make the game, on top of the previous years up to this point.

Maybe ask nicely and less like a crazy person. You're one person of many making one comment of many.

Edited by git2thachoppa

23 minutes ago, PAPA Edien said:

I've seen your post and appreciate the amount of time you've taken to produce it. It is disappointing that it's not been acknowledged yet but to state SI guys are lazy is plain rude and ignorant. With all of the other issues (and noise around them) that have been posted, maybe they are prioritising. You're not going to endear yourself with those sort of comments.

Edited by diddydaddydoddy

5 hours ago, git2thachoppa said:

It took you 3 hours to write that post.

It took SI a year full time + overtime to make the game, on top of the previous years up to this point.

Maybe ask nicely and less like a crazy person. You're one person of many making one comment of many.

yeep it did ... and i don't get paid for it ... case and point ... 

if i can take 3 hours to write a post collect the facts and prove my claim beyond a shadow of a doubt i at least expect a reply in 7 days ... 

as for the crazy part ... i would rather choose the word passionate but its your choice how you want to look at it ... 

4 minutes ago, PAPA Edien said:

yeep it did ... and i don't get paid for it ... case and point ... 

if i can take 3 hours to write a post collect the facts and prove my claim beyond a shadow of a doubt i at least expect a reply in 7 days ... 

as for the crazy part ... i would rather choose the word passionate but its your choice how you want to look at it ... 

If you tell SI staff they are lazy, why would you expect them to reply to you?  If you want them to engage do you a) show a little respect or b) slag them off?

Don't be abusive, I doesn't go down well and usually ends with people who do getting forum bans.

@PAPA Edien  You're not making it easier for yourself if I'm now removing your posts despite my warning above.  If you feel the devs are ignoring you, calling them lazy is not the way to get their attention.  It will however attract moderator attention, so please take my posts on board before posting again.

• 4 weeks later...

My Reasons are:

AI is broken and there seems to be highlights for the sake of highlights. 20-40 shots a match with countless one on ones strikers with 16 + finishing and composure worse than Sunday league. Players shooting when there are obvious square balls for tap ins. Wingers are useless they never cross so youre forced to play IF, IW, IWB, playing balls constantly over the top so having BPD is almost mandatory. 

Just signed a contract in February got promotion to the PL with Morecambe with next to no money, A- rating. Sacked in May for not developing youngsters and giving them first team opportunities. This was only added on contract renewal. Not even Guardiola could develop youngsters that quick.

Edited by gcarm76

• 7 months later...

The most boring ME ever. There's no pleasure on playing this AT ALL. FInished my first full season with Milan, ended up 2nd tied with Lazio as champions, but this is my scoresheet ranking for the season:

1. Kessié - 16 goals
2. Boga - 14
3. Paquetá - 10
4. Douglas Costa - 4
5. Mariano - 4
6. Rafael Leão - 4
7. Eseola - 2

My three strikers together had less goals than KESSIÉ. Oh, there was also Ajorque scoring 2 goals and Ibrahimovic scoring none, so KESSIÉ was still good. This makes no sense. Gonna start the next season in manager mode only, not watching the games, just handling the team. But going back to FM16, which is way more fun.

5 hours ago, pauloolivieri said:

The most boring ME ever. There's no pleasure on playing this AT ALL. FInished my first full season with Milan, ended up 2nd tied with Lazio as champions, but this is my scoresheet ranking for the season:

1. Kessié - 16 goals
2. Boga - 14
3. Paquetá - 10
4. Douglas Costa - 4
5. Mariano - 4
6. Rafael Leão - 4
7. Eseola - 2

My three strikers together had less goals than KESSIÉ. Oh, there was also Ajorque scoring 2 goals and Ibrahimovic scoring none, so KESSIÉ was still good. This makes no sense. Gonna start the next season in manager mode only, not watching the games, just handling the team. But going back to FM16, which is way more fun.

Enjoy the crossing fest :)