Help? Issue With Custom Logo Graphics

Weston

Hello! I only know the basics of custom graphics, so please forgive me if the answer to my question is obvious.

I uploaded custom logo graphics, but the small versions of the logos that you see in league tables, for example, look really bad. Why are they so grainy and low resolution? I've never had this problem in past editions, and am actually using a new laptop with a better quality screen this time around.

Any advice on how to sharpen up these thumbnail images a bit more to the level I'm used to them being at? When I go into "Interface" the graphics settings (most all of mine are on the default "medium" setting) seem to all be for the 3D matches only, not general images.

image.thumb.png.45789316f2c6987066766c8cb558c3fc.png

Also, why do the national team logos appear here:

image.thumb.png.272f277990892cc3c632d87332ce682d.png

But not here:

image.thumb.png.6199ba39b55bfc0a46df40072799f58a.png

This is the first time I've experienced this issue as well. I'd like the national team logos to appear everywhere the flags do.

You probably use higher than before in-game zoom on your new laptop?  If so, the graininess of the small logos is likely due to the logopack you have not including larger versions of the small logos. The game must stretch the small images to fit them into their place making them look bad. You can confirm this by looking inside the pack and seeing if the small logos folder has another folder in it called @2x (and larger small logos in it).

If the above is the issue, the simplest solution would be to find a pack that has the larger small logos in it. Like the DVX Logos pack I have put together. There are other packs as well - I'm pretty sure for example the Metallic logos pack from Sortitoutsi has them.

44 minutes ago, duccio said:

You probably use higher than before in-game zoom on your new laptop?  If so, the graininess of the small logos is likely due to the logopack you have not including larger versions of the small logos. The game must stretch the small images to fit them into their place making them look bad. You can confirm this by looking inside the pack and seeing if the small logos folder has another folder in it called @2x (and larger small logos in it).

If the above is the issue, the simplest solution would be to find a pack that has the larger small logos in it. Like the DVX Logos pack I have put together. There are other packs as well - I'm pretty sure for example the Metallic logos pack from Sortitoutsi has them.

Yes this new laptop uses 200% zoom on a 13.3-inch (2560 x 1600) screen, so I guess that's it. I'm not that knowledgable about tech so I wasn't expecting this - I know the screen is smaller than my last laptop but I guess the screen is a higher resolution?

Anyway, I'd be interested in using that logo pack, but it has less than half as many clubs included as the 40K+ one I downloaded, and even then I already had to update several Serie C clubs myself as they were out of date. Is there some way to just select all the normal logos and make this middle-sized folder by duplicating and shrinking these images all at once?

And if my pack clearly has the national team logos how do I get them to show up where the country flags are? Is this a separate ID? They've always just been together for me in the past.

Edited by Weston

34 minutes ago, Weston said:

Yes this new laptop uses 200% zoom on a 13.3-inch (2560 x 1600) screen, so I guess that's it. I'm not that knowledgable about tech so I wasn't expecting this - I know the screen is smaller than my last laptop but I guess the screen is a higher resolution?

Higher density of pixels on smaller screen sounds like it.

Anyway, I'd be interested in using that logo pack, but it has less than half as many clubs included as the 40K+ one I downloaded, and even then I already had to update several Serie C clubs myself as they were out of date. Is there some way to just select all the normal logos and make this middle-sized folder by duplicating and shrinking these images all at once?

The DVX pack isn't the largest, but it is reasonably well up to date. One thing to consider is also that if one mostly manages in a select few countries, then large numbers of logos from places more distant from those countries are not necessarily needed (clubs not in same competitions). In saves using expansion DBs the lower logo count may be an issue. The DVX Logos thread has a list of countries and how many logos the pack contains from each of them.

If you have Photoshop, you can record an action where the image is resized/canvas made to have correct dimensions. The action can then be used in conjunction with Photoshop's batch automation function to automatically go through the entire pack. There may be other ways as well.

And if my pack clearly has the national team logos how do I get them to show up where the country flags are? Is this a separate ID? They've always just been together for me in the past.

Does the pack have a readme file with instructions? There may be something about national team logos.

Otherwise, does the pack have a folder that contains the flags, and a separate folder that contains the national team logos (including the larger ones)? If the national team logo folder has a name that is alphabetically/numerically after the flags folder, rename the folder so that it is alphabetically/numerically before the flags folder. This will change the order in which the game loads the logos, and will give precedence to the national team badges.

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/12/2019 at 10:32, duccio said:

If you have Photoshop, you can record an action where the image is resized/canvas made to have correct dimensions. The action can then be used in conjunction with Photoshop's batch automation function to automatically go through the entire pack. There may be other ways as well.

Good to know, thanks. I'll have to ask some people who have photoshop if they could do this for me.

On 03/12/2019 at 10:32, duccio said:

Does the pack have a readme file with instructions? There may be something about national team logos.

Otherwise, does the pack have a folder that contains the flags, and a separate folder that contains the national team logos (including the larger ones)? If the national team logo folder has a name that is alphabetically/numerically after the flags folder, rename the folder so that it is alphabetically/numerically before the flags folder. This will change the order in which the game loads the logos, and will give precedence to the national team badges.

It does not. There's just a "nations" subfolder in the logos folder and it has the correct badges and no flags as far as I can tell...

image.thumb.png.2b9f94f9c2c6174cc10c7a84b08ea6f6.png

14 hours ago, Weston said:

It does not. There's just a "nations" subfolder in the logos folder and it has the correct badges and no flags as far as I can tell...

image.thumb.png.2b9f94f9c2c6174cc10c7a84b08ea6f6.png

If there are no flags in the pack, the flags in the screens must then be the default ones that come with the game.

The "Normal" folder probably has the larger FA logos in it? If yes, is there a config.xml in the same folder? It should contain lines following this format:

<record from="106" to="graphics/pictures/nation/106/logo"/>

4 hours ago, duccio said:

If there are no flags in the pack, the flags in the screens must then be the default ones that come with the game.

The "Normal" folder probably has the larger FA logos in it? If yes, is there a config.xml in the same folder? It should contain lines following this format:

I do not see a config.xml in the "normal" folder that contains the larger FA logos. Is this something I could create as a workaround?

1 hour ago, Weston said:

I do not see a config.xml in the "normal" folder that contains the larger FA logos. Is this something I could create as a workaround?

There should definitely be a config file there. Config files can be created with programs such as FM Graphics Configurator, but they can also be made manually.  Since the small FA logos can be seen in the screenshots, there is likely to be a config.xml in the "Small" folder. Assuming the images in the "Small" folder have the same names as the images in the "Normal" folder, using that config with some alterations should work. Copy the config into the "Normal" folder, and then use text editor to modify it. You will see lines like this:

<record from="106" to="graphics/pictures/nation/106/icon"/>

Use the text editor to replace the word "icon" with the word "logo" (there is likely to be a function which allows you to replace all instances of the word with one click), so you will get lines like this:

Then save the config and reload the skin.

10 hours ago, duccio said:

There should definitely be a config file there. Config files can be created with programs such as FM Graphics Configurator, but they can also be made manually.  Since the small FA logos can be seen in the screenshots, there is likely to be a config.xml in the "Small" folder. Assuming the images in the "Small" folder have the same names as the images in the "Normal" folder, using that config with some alterations should work. Copy the config into the "Normal" folder, and then use text editor to modify it. You will see lines like this:

Use the text editor to replace the word "icon" with the word "logo" (there is likely to be a function which allows you to replace all instances of the word with one click), so you will get lines like this:

Just checked, the "small" folder does have this. I will look into this solution tomorrow. Thanks!

In the meantime, I have sent the "normal" logos to my friend with photoshop and he will resize them for me to create the bigger "small" logos. Exactly what size should he shrink the "normal" logos down to?

10 hours ago, Weston said:

Just checked, the "small" folder does have this. I will look into this solution tomorrow. Thanks!

In the meantime, I have sent the "normal" logos to my friend with photoshop and he will resize them for me to create the bigger "small" logos. Exactly what size should he shrink the "normal" logos down to?

The canvas size is 50x36px. The size of the logo is what fits onto the canvas.

7 minutes ago, duccio said:

The canvas size is 50x36px. The size of the logo is what fits onto the canvas.

Forgive me, this sort of thing is not my forte. So below are the sizes of the normal and small images:

image.thumb.png.917f84baeb8086f7983246b6c8ceb12f.png

You're saying we need to change 180x180 to a width of 50 pixels and a height of 36 pixels? But won't that be distorted if they're not the same number?

I guess I don't even understand the underlying reason why you can't just upload the large images and have the game automatically resize the images as needed in the various areas, so perhaps I'm looking at this from the wrong angle?

21 hours ago, duccio said:

Also I just did this and it worked in 2/3 of the locations! As you can see in the top left and the right the flags have been replaced with the correct logos, but not the big main image in the center left. Any ideas on what to tweak in the config file to correct that one as well? Thanks so much for taking the time to help me with these silly things!

image.thumb.png.9aaeff3ecd300d8e746a689dd27bc48e.png

27 minutes ago, Weston said:

Forgive me, this sort of thing is not my forte. So below are the sizes of the normal and small images:

image.thumb.png.917f84baeb8086f7983246b6c8ceb12f.png

You're saying we need to change 180x180 to a width of 50 pixels and a height of 36 pixels? But won't that be distorted if they're not the same number?

I guess I don't even understand the underlying reason why you can't just upload the large images and have the game automatically resize the images as needed in the various areas, so perhaps I'm looking at this from the wrong angle?

Logopacks more or less follow the structure set by SI. If the size of the small logos in the pack you have is 20x20px, then that pack is not exactly mirroring the standard set within the game. Its not a problem as such, but if the pack does not have default logos (the place holder logos that are displayed when a club does not have a logo) in that same size, the small logopack logos and the default logos from the game will not line up in properly.

What it comes to resizing the the images, certainly the aspect ratio of the logos should be maintained. Just the canvas should be 50x36px by SI standard.

9 minutes ago, Weston said:

Also I just did this and it worked in 2/3 of the locations! As you can see in the top left and the right the flags have been replaced with the correct logos, but not the big main image in the center left. Any ideas on what to tweak in the config file to correct that one as well? Thanks so much for taking the time to help me with these silly things!

image.thumb.png.9aaeff3ecd300d8e746a689dd27bc48e.png

You want the logos in the Nation Profile as well? Edit the config some more. In addition to lines like this:

You need lines like this:

<record from="106" to="graphics/pictures/nation/106/flag"/>

Copy the content of the config to a separate file in text editor. Replace "logo" with "flag". Then copy all the lines between <list id="maps"> and </list>, and paste them into the config somewhere between <list id="maps"> and </list> in that file. Save the config.xml and reload the skin.

23 minutes ago, duccio said:

Copy the content of the config to a separate file in text editor. Replace "logo" with "flag". Then copy all the lines between <list id="maps"> and </list>, and paste them into the config somewhere between <list id="maps"> and </list> in that file. Save the config.xml and reload the skin.

Am I replacing the existing lines that still have "logo" or just adding it before or after the ones that are already there?

10 minutes ago, Weston said:

Am I replacing the existing lines that still have "logo" or just adding it before or after the ones that are already there?

Adding before or after. That way the game loads both sorts (logos and flags) from the pack.

Edited by duccio

Okay, sorry to bother you again @duccio, but I made some progress which raised another question. Using my Mac's Preview app on my own I resized all of the nations and competitions logos to height 36 pixels and made the @2x folder as you instructed.

image.thumb.png.b7fac68ff5c4d8cc999725bc0e03ae8c.pngimage.thumb.png.5cf6ac2dfbaa0089a2f4e989ae7b8621.png

As you can see, the nations and competitions small logos are now crisp and clear! But for some reason, this is only in tables, the competition logo in the top left by the search bar is still blurry. Do I need to do something with a config file to fix this?

Also, I'm very confused why the club logos in the bottom player stats seem to be crisp and clear now, while the club logos in the group tables to the left are still blurry. There's a noticeable difference. I don't think my computer can handle trying to resize 40k+ images (it took a LOT of excruciating nudging to get it to handle 3k without crashing), but if I could just figure out how to get the table images to pull from the same place the player stats images already are, then the problem would be solved!

What do you think?

Edited by Weston

15 hours ago, Weston said:

As you can see, the nations and competitions small logos are now crisp and clear! But for some reason, this is only in tables, the competition logo in the top left by the search bar is still blurry. Do I need to do something with a config file to fix this?

Do other competitons logos in the search bar look similarly blurry? Could it be that the Coppa Italia Serie C large logo itself is not of the best quality? What does the image in the pack look like?

15 hours ago, Weston said:

Also, I'm very confused why the club logos in the bottom player stats seem to be crisp and clear now, while the club logos in the group tables to the left are still blurry. There's a noticeable difference. I don't think my computer can handle trying to resize 40k+ images (it took a LOT of excruciating nudging to get it to handle 3k without crashing), but if I could just figure out how to get the table images to pull from the same place the player stats images already are, then the problem would be solved!

What do you think?

The logos on the player stats panel are actually the larger logos from the pack, while the logos on the tables are the small logos. Its possible to use logos of any size in place of the small logos, but unlike on the stats panel, logo images are not resized on the tables (not sure about other places). The larger logos will therefore be too big for the allocated space. 50x36px @2x size is the way to go...

3 hours ago, duccio said:

Do other competitons logos in the search bar look similarly blurry? Could it be that the Coppa Italia Serie C large logo itself is not of the best quality? What does the image in the pack look like?

All of the competitions logos are blurry, so they must be pulling from either the small or 2x small folder and it's not big enough. Is there a way to change this with the config file?

3 hours ago, duccio said:

The logos on the player stats panel are actually the larger logos from the pack, while the logos on the tables are the small logos. Its possible to use logos of any size in place of the small logos, but unlike on the stats panel, logo images are not resized on the tables (not sure about other places). The larger logos will therefore be too big for the allocated space. 50x36px @2x size is the way to go...

Trying an online bulk photo resizer right now, hopefully it works!

46 minutes ago, Weston said:

All of the competitions logos are blurry, so they must be pulling from either the small or 2x small folder and it's not big enough. Is there a way to change this with the config file?

The config controlling the larger (or normal) competition logos should end in "logo" like this:

<record from="43223314" to="graphics/pictures/comp/43223314/logo"/>

While the config for the small logos should end in "icon":

<record from="43223314" to="graphics/pictures/comp/43223314/icon"/>"

You can also open one of the larger (or whatever size) competition logos in graphics editor, fill it with colour and save. Then reload the skin to see if it changed within the game to confirm where the logo is pulled from. Of course do not close the image after saving, so you can later undo the colour fill and save again.

6 hours ago, duccio said:

The config controlling the larger (or normal) competition logos should end in "logo" like this:

<record from="43223314" to="graphics/pictures/comp/43223314/logo"/>

While the config for the small logos should end in "icon":

<record from="43223314" to="graphics/pictures/comp/43223314/icon"/>"

You can also open one of the larger (or whatever size) competition logos in graphics editor, fill it with colour and save. Then reload the skin to see if it changed within the game to confirm where the logo is pulled from. Of course do not close the image after saving, so you can later undo the colour fill and save again.

Oh I figured it out - since I shrunk the normal ones down to small the config included still said logo and not icon so I fixed that and now they look fine in the top left.

Meanwhile, still resizing the clubs. This is how far I've gotten in 7-8 hours:

image.thumb.png.45ad05add664f2b79af9a13576a58aa1.png