Brexit & Club Culture

I'm currently half way through my 2nd season at Wolves. Our club culture is to sign Portuguese players. I even had the board stop a transfer of a quality player in the first season because I hadn't signed enough Portuguese players to appease them.

Brexit has rolled round and we now have a limit of 17 foreign players in the first team. Considering I'm at my max for foreign players already, but the club expects me to sign Portuguese players, has anyone had any luck with removing such a thing from their club culture?

It's going to be ridiculous if the board still expects Portuguese players, but registration rules are hampering my ability to do so. 

You'd expect the club to change its focus from foreign players back to domestic, given the circumstances of Brexit. It should be something you could get the club to change and if not then that sounds like a bit of an oversight from SI.

Maybe there's some Portuguese players with English as their second nationality you can buy? Or maybe you could naturalize some Portuguese players yourself, to help with the limit on foreign players? 

6 minutes ago, Baodan said:

It should be something you could get the club to change and if not then that sounds like a bit of an oversight from SI.

This is my fear. I was hoping someone had managed to remove something like this from their saves.

I wonder if any mods could clarify if it's possible to remove it from the club culture easily, given Brexit has screwed the culture up a bit. 

25 minutes ago, daspindocta said:

Correct me if I'm wrong as I don't really know much about there transfer style before Nuno but Isn't that more manager preference than club culture in actuality?

There was a couple of Portuguese signings (Helder Costa and Ivan Cavaleiro) just before Nuno took over. But the main influx of Portuguese players has been under Nuno's management, yes.

It is listed as part of the club culture in FM though. I so hope I can change this soon or we'll be in big trouble when trying to sign players. 

8 hours ago, FrazT said:

Is it part of the club vision which you decide on at the start of a game/season?

Different aspect but similar idea as the OP. I am managing Athletic and the board are insistent on me signing high reputation players. I’ve tried to negotiate it out of our vision but that won’t remove it. Currently there are no high rep basque players outside of my club, at least that match the clubs rep (I’m 10 years into the save). Fortunately I’m doing well but the board are always unhappy that I’m not completing this aspect of the vision. It’s a preferred vision not a required one so I get away with it, bit silly though 

22 hours ago, Extra Time FM said:

Brexit has rolled round and we now have a limit of 17 foreign players in the first team. Considering I'm at my max for foreign players already, 

I'd double check the Brexit details as in my saves the existing foreign players at the club don't count towards the 17

12 hours ago, FrazT said:

Is it part of the club vision which you decide on at the start of a game/season?

Signing Portuguese players is yes. Wolves start with that as part of their club culture.

I tried removing it when I first took the job, but they weren't having any of it. 

Does the outcome of Brexit have any impact on club culture? Or do the board not even acknowledge it?

2 hours ago, Hovis Dexter said:

Go to the Premier League and look at the rules

Thanks. What exactly am I looking for here? I play in Holland so not 100% sure whether what I'm looking at has changed much. I'm still in Oct '19 but Brexit has been announced as I remember seeing the news item for it.

• 1 month later...

If there is a 17 foreign player rule after Brexit then you could potentially have 17 Portuguese in your Wolves squad, and that's counting any that might have British as a second nationality.

I doubt that club culture aspect is going anywhere until there is a boardroom takeover.

I was able to negotiate out "sign under 23 year old players for the first team" when I got offered a new contract with Pescara. So I guess it would be possible to negotiate out the Portuguese clause, providing your reputation or performance is of a certain level?