How to change the text colour within the tab bar on fm20

Mikeonhisboat

Trying to change colour of text on tab bar. Having played around with various skins that have managed to change this, the key text is definitely somewhere in the settings.xml. However two issues:

1. I can't find a 'complete' settings.xml anywhere! The base skins have v little info in their settings files. A few of the skins i've downloaded have a huge amount in there. I can't use their settings files as messes up whole rafts of other areas. Where d I get the base settings file from showing all of the lines?

2. Once I have this, which lines am I looking for that control the text colour in the tab bar - as circled below? (It's set to white, I want to change it to be the team' main text colour to match the title search bar text

Screenshot (21).png

Edited by Mikeonhisboat

I think this link refers to my other question in a separate post re/player attribute panel rejigging.

I'm still searching in vain for the text that controls the text colour in tab bar in above image. Desperate for help if anyone has any knowledge re/how to change that. Am no longer thinking it's related to settings.xml.

But the various paper.xml's seem to only control the image colour, rather than the text colour.

So what controls the text colour in this bar??

Thankyou!!!! This worked!

For simplicity for anyone else searching the same answer in future:

1. The colour of the text in the tab bar is governed by the colour id values set in the button.xml, button showing.xml and button selected.xmls within the various tabs folders within graphics folder.

2. By default the colour id in these files is set to "text". So it displays whatever colour value is set to the "text" label within settings/fm colours.xml. So you could just quickly change the colour by changing the settings/fm colours.xml files to display a different colour for "text". BUT this will change with it a lot of the text colour in the game as A LOT of text has it's colour id set to "text".  Obviously. Plus you can only change these generic type settings to rgb values or shorthand versions recognised by xml eg "white". You can't use "primary" or "secondary".

3. So to set just the text in tab bar to one specific colour, or to always change to reflect a team's colours, you need to change the colour ids and red replacements etc within the various button folders above. Either to whatever rgb values you want (or to a shorthand name and then set the rgb values for this shorthand name in settings.xml). Or to "primary" or "secondary" if you want the tab bar text colours to reflect a team's colours.

Thankyou for those who helped me figure this out - it only took me 2.5 days and drove me nearly insane!!

I'm going to be making a LOT of mistakes and asking newbie questions as I create my own skin. But to try help others in future I will try remember to come back to any psts where I asked a question and if i've since figured out the answer, try round off the posts with a plain english explanation for the sanity of future newbies like me! And where the main topic of a post has shifted as the post evolves, rename it to something easy to find for folks in future.

Edited by Mikeonhisboat

• 1 year later...
On 03/01/2020 at 15:13, Mikeonhisboat said:

Thankyou!!!! This worked!

For simplicity for anyone else searching the same answer in future:

1. The colour of the text in the tab bar is governed by the colour id values set in the button.xml, button showing.xml and button selected.xmls within the various tabs folders within graphics folder.

2. By default the colour id in these files is set to "text". So it displays whatever colour value is set to the "text" label within settings/fm colours.xml. So you could just quickly change the colour by changing the settings/fm colours.xml files to display a different colour for "text". BUT this will change with it a lot of the text colour in the game as A LOT of text has it's colour id set to "text".  Obviously. Plus you can only change these generic type settings to rgb values or shorthand versions recognised by xml eg "white". You can't use "primary" or "secondary".

3. So to set just the text in tab bar to one specific colour, or to always change to reflect a team's colours, you need to change the colour ids and red replacements etc within the various button folders above. Either to whatever rgb values you want (or to a shorthand name and then set the rgb values for this shorthand name in settings.xml). Or to "primary" or "secondary" if you want the tab bar text colours to reflect a team's colours.

Thankyou for those who helped me figure this out - it only took me 2.5 days and drove me nearly insane!!

I'm going to be making a LOT of mistakes and asking newbie questions as I create my own skin. But to try help others in future I will try remember to come back to any psts where I asked a question and if i've since figured out the answer, try round off the posts with a plain english explanation for the sanity of future newbies like me! And where the main topic of a post has shifted as the post evolves, rename it to something easy to find for folks in future.

I realise this is a really old thread but could anyone shed any more light on this? I’m trying to find the xml files mentioned here but I’m not sure where to look. My graphics folder is just full of kits and facepacks but can’t find anything about the buttons mentioned above. 

ive added new kits to a team which don’t match the away text bar colours so I’m hoping to change them within my FM21 save. 

• 1 year later...
On 11/12/2022 at 11:45, <<Macaco-RJ88>> said:

How could I edit the font size in the tab? My game now shows different text sizes:

image.png.eeded6a2a8b70bb893e31717f5ced8ac.png

there's two different graphics, one for the drop-down, one for the other. The fonts are controlled by the graphic xml in the folder