Is it cheating?

It's my 5th or 6th attempt at starting a career with Milan and.......I've made it to January without one re-start!

But having recently discovered the in-game editor I have cheated.....a little.....so I decided to start a "Is it cheating?" thread.

Like most Milan fans, I was gutted when Cutrone left and now that he has, in real life, returned to Serie A and joined Fiorentina, I figured I was justified in using the in-game editor to transfer Cutrone on the same terms that Fiorentina signed him in real life (same cost and same structure - a loan with option to buy) - is it cheating?

Also Daniel Maldini, Paolo's son who SI has generously made a 5 star prospect, got all shirty with me because I refused to sell him to Arsenal, so I edited out his unhappiness. In my head (which is where we all play the game) I told myself that I had asked dad to intervene - is it cheating?

What cheating dilemmas have others faced?

The answer is the same as every single one of these threads...

It's a single player game so the only person you are cheating is yourself... the question is whether you consider it cheating?

Objectively speaking, i dont see transferring a player to another team like Cutrone as effecting anything other than your own realism ... 

The Maldini part, some will consider it dubious because you gave yourself an advantage that isn't allowed under normal play, but again.. who cares? it's your game..

16 minutes ago, Welshace said:

The answer is the same as every single one of these threads...

It's a single player game so the only person you are cheating is yourself... the question is whether you consider it cheating?

Objectively speaking, i dont see transferring a player to another team like Cutrone as effecting anything other than your own realism ... 

The Maldini part, some will consider it dubious because you gave yourself an advantage that isn't allowed under normal play, but again.. who cares? it's your game..

It's more intended as a humorous anecdote than anything.....

I didn't consider it cheating, but then again, I can justify anything to myself....

12 minutes ago, rinso said:

It's cheating if it ruins your game... If you are happy with your decisions, then no. You are playing against nobody else, so the only person that can possibly be "cheated" is you

You know that feeling where it eats away at the back of your mind and then in your 4th season in, you say, "Damn it, I need to start again because I cheated that one time."

No?

Ok, it's just me.

2 minutes ago, Maldini's Heir said:

You know that feeling where it eats away at the back of your mind and then in your 4th season in, you say, "Damn it, I need to start again because I cheated that one time."

No?

Ok, it's just me.

yep, been there done that lol  if you're asking thew question, then you already have doubts so just bin it and start again n don't waste time on it

5 minutes ago, rinso said:

yep, been there done that lol  if you're asking thew question, then you already have doubts so just bin it and start again n don't waste time on it

Ah yeah but having Cutrone back at Milan and Maldini's kid coming through is just too hard to give up!

I'm going to try and keep the demons at bay and hopefully pull through this one.

2 minutes ago, Maldini's Heir said:

Ah yeah but having Cutrone back at Milan and Maldini's kid coming through is just too hard to give up!

I'm going to try and keep the demons at bay and hopefully pull through this one.

have a few beers n you may forget :P 

Resonses here are about right, cheating is what you consider to be cheating.

However if you post career updates gloating about success then a game were the editor has been used or save scumming has been used id consider that cheating.

Personally I loose interest fast in a game I know I've used the editor or save scummed.

I normally start a game with use of editor prevented

34 minutes ago, thehig2 said:

Resonses here are about right, cheating is what you consider to be cheating.

However if you post career updates gloating about success then a game were the editor has been used or save scumming has been used id consider that cheating.

Personally I loose interest fast in a game I know I've used the editor or save scummed.

I normally start a game with use of editor prevented

Is the editor a bigger cheat than restarts?

Especially when using the editor to adjust for real life.

Cutrone is a completely realistic signing for Milan. I was only prompted to make the signing when he moved in real life. 

Meanwhile why would Maldini’s kid want to leave Milan especially when I’ve given him appearances?

Personally the way I see it if I use the editor to fix what I think are flaws in the game or to update for real life then it’s not cheating. If I signed  Mbappe or someone that would be cheating.

I’m going to rule - it’s not cheating in MY game!

I’d be interested here other people’s moral dilemmas.

Cheating is only cheating if you the player feel it is no one else is involved in your game. You also need to take into account if there wasn't a community call for an in-game editor then SI wouldn't have produced one. I play saves with the editor available on some saves and don't on others it's personal preference. Is it any different to OP or getting rid of debts/making a club rich using the pre-game free editor? 

Check the number of users who download either the official editor or FMRTE and you will see that many users choose to play the game the way that thy get most enjoyment out of and that is what playing a game is all about.  As long as you are playing a one player game and not boasting about your achievements, then play the game whichever way you want.

1 hour ago, Maldini's Heir said:

Is the editor a bigger cheat than restarts?

Especially when using the editor to adjust for real life.

Cutrone is a completely realistic signing for Milan. I was only prompted to make the signing when he moved in real life. 

Meanwhile why would Maldini’s kid want to leave Milan especially when I’ve given him appearances?

Personally the way I see it if I use the editor to fix what I think are flaws in the game or to update for real life then it’s not cheating. If I signed  Mbappe or someone that would be cheating.

I’m going to rule - it’s not cheating in MY game!

I’d be interested here other people’s moral dilemmas.

You could use pre game editor for that?

As people have said your the judge of your own game.

Yeah your right save scumming is probabily worse, you can force any result with enough restarts.

The wider answer is "no, of course not"

The correct answer is subjective, all depends on whether you feel it spoils your game.

The wrong answer is anything saying yes, as people worrying about what someone else does with their own single player game are oddballs.

Ofcourse it is cheating, if you are happy, it is still cheating but you are just making your game more enjoyable.

I cheat too. If some player of mine get injured for 3+ months I let him be injured for one month and then I remove the injury. But I have a rule, when I'm removing my player injury I also remove injuries for AI teams if some wonderkids are injured for a long time, so they can develop better.

I'm also removing player unhappiness because you can't talk with the player in the game as you can in real life, so I always pretend I've sorted that unhappiness by talking.

7 hours ago, thehig2 said:

... However if you post career updates gloating about success then a game were the editor has been used or save scumming has been used id consider that cheating ...

This. In a single player game do whatever makes you happy but never ever use the editor if you’re playing a challenge and never make any posts detailing your achievements if you’ve used the editor for anything other than cosmetic reasons.

Came "that close" to buy the in-game editor no later than a week ago!  (I don't have it btw).  Reason I came that close?  Rhian Brewster!  I'm into my seconth season and I'm in League 1.  Sheffield Wednesday were relegated the previous season but, thanks to the way the game manages relegations/promotions, you have about 6 weeks to play the system to your advantage or being penalyzed by it.  Well, the Owls were able to get Rhian Brewster from Liverpool, a PL level player according to all my scouts (including HYOD with 14 in CA eval) and valued at 7M pounds to play into League 1!  How did they manage that?  Easy!  They made the offer before the calandar got made and BAM!  Of course, everybody getting promoted get smacked because they can'T sign anybody before that calandar date...  which means that the very bests of each crops are taken before they have a chance to do anything because they still are "lowly Y level" instead of a "shiny X level"...  To be honest, I always had a special... "feeling"... toward the 6 weeks waiting period for the promoted/relegated teams to be tagged/identified as playing in their new level but this time?  Well...

And that was the time I felt the most compelled to buy the in-game editor... and I didn't... even if 1 week after the thing, every time I look at the stats of League 1, with Brester dominating everybody and everything, and see the Owls flying over everybody because of it, it still makes my blood boil a little...  just a little...

Oh...  I cheated once in fact.  Ass Man leaves me to go to manage Accrington... for 3k pounds less.  At the end of the season, I go look at table in League 1 and saw he have 1 game to play and could be relegated.  I actually reloaded that game twice just to be sure he was relegated!

Edited by Rien102

14 hours ago, thehig2 said:

You could use pre game editor for that?

As people have said your the judge of your own game.

Yeah your right save scumming is probabily worse, you can force any result with enough restarts.

The great thing about the in-game editor is that you can correct things as you go along.

For example, I will only get to play against a Brazilian side if I qualify for the World Club Cup so I don't need to worry about changing the names until that time.

I just need to exercise self-control with the editor. But when real life events took Cutrone back to Italy I just couldn't resist. 

I've decided this Career Mode is going to be about getting the band back together again: I'm going to try and re-sign Locatelli (without cheating), and then build a team around Donnarumma, Calabria, Locatelli and Cutrone!

8 hours ago, Rien102 said:

Came "that close" to buy the in-game editor no later than a week ago!  (I don't have it btw).  Reason I came that close?  Rhian Brewster!  I'm into my seconth season and I'm in League 1.  Sheffield Wednesday were relegated the previous season but, thanks to the way the game manages relegations/promotions, you have about 6 weeks to play the system to your advantage or being penalyzed by it.  Well, the Owls were able to get Rhian Brewster from Liverpool, a PL level player according to all my scouts (including HYOD with 14 in CA eval) and valued at 7M pounds to play into League 1!  How did they manage that?  Easy!  They made the offer before the calandar got made and BAM!  Of course, everybody getting promoted get smacked because they can'T sign anybody before that calandar date...  which means that the very bests of each crops are taken before they have a chance to do anything because they still are "lowly Y level" instead of a "shiny X level"...  To be honest, I always had a special... "feeling"... toward the 6 weeks waiting period for the promoted/relegated teams to be tagged/identified as playing in their new level but this time?  Well...

And that was the time I felt the most compelled to buy the in-game editor... and I didn't... even if 1 week after the thing, every time I look at the stats of League 1, with Brester dominating everybody and everything, and see the Owls flying over everybody because of it, it still makes my blood boil a little...  just a little...

Oh...  I cheated once in fact.  Ass Man leaves me to go to manage Accrington... for 3k pounds less.  At the end of the season, I go look at table in League 1 and saw he have 1 game to play and could be relegated.  I actually reloaded that game twice just to be sure he was relegated!

Surely there's a morally* consistent argument you could make that it's only cheating if it couldn't happen in real life?

One challenge I sometimes give myself, which definitely is not cheating, is to undo all of the summer transfers for my team, always Milan, and start as if I could've intervened before Milan did another terrible transfer campaign.

Since about 2003 (when Milan signed Kaka), I've disagreed with nearly every single transfer campaign at Milan and so have used computer games to correct things. In fact, this is probably the thing that draws me to these games most - fixing the awful reality of supporting Milan.  

*I'm using the word "morally" in the looses possible sense......

On 14/01/2020 at 15:01, Maldini's Heir said:

It's my 5th or 6th attempt at starting a career with Milan and.......I've made it to January without one re-start!

But having recently discovered the in-game editor I have cheated.....a little.....so I decided to start a "Is it cheating?" thread.

Like most Milan fans, I was gutted when Cutrone left and now that he has, in real life, returned to Serie A and joined Fiorentina, I figured I was justified in using the in-game editor to transfer Cutrone on the same terms that Fiorentina signed him in real life (same cost and same structure - a loan with option to buy) - is it cheating?

Also Daniel Maldini, Paolo's son who SI has generously made a 5 star prospect, got all shirty with me because I refused to sell him to Arsenal, so I edited out his unhappiness. In my head (which is where we all play the game) I told myself that I had asked dad to intervene - is it cheating?

What cheating dilemmas have others faced?

I do not believe one can "cheat" at this game. It's a single-player solo game that's kind of slow. Enjoy the game without stressing about fairness, unless you're going to litter the forums with achievements that you edited your way to, etc.

One time I took a whole save down because I used the IGE to edit the kits and after that, the editor icon stayed there at the top, even with the option disabled, and I got to a point that all I could look up in the screen was the damn editor icon. Editing kits is not cheating, but that icon screamed cheating all over. I could never make print screens again about my achievements because the icon doesn't tell what I had edited. I could said kits but in fact being my whole team or taking my opponents down, etc... so I took the save down.

In sum, in a single player game, you can do whatever you feel comfortable with. Just remember that you could be investing many hours in a save and after some seasons, wanting to take all down because that edit you did sometime doesn't leave your mind.

54 minutes ago, 99 said:

One time I took a whole save down because I used the IGE to edit the kits and after that, the editor icon stayed there at the top, even with the option disabled, and I got to a point that all I could look up in the screen was the damn editor icon. Editing kits is not cheating, but that icon screamed cheating all over. I could never make print screens again about my achievements because the icon doesn't tell what I had edited. I could said kits but in fact being my whole team or taking my opponents down, etc... so I took the save down.

In sum, in a single player game, you can do whatever you feel comfortable with. Just remember that you could be investing many hours in a save and after some seasons, wanting to take all down because that edit you did sometime doesn't leave your mind.

you can remove the in game editor button in the preferences

1 hora atrás, jcp1417 disse:

you can remove the in game editor button in the preferences

I did that ofcourse, but it was still there, just more transparent. Once you edit something, it will never go away (at least on FM19, haven't bought the IGE for FM20).

Edited by 99

One of the big reasons for playing football manager (for a lot of us I imagine) is the story that we are creating. Whether it's turning a homegrown youth talent into a Ballon d'Or winner, taking Colchester up the leagues or configuring a complex formation that makes us feel like tactical Gods...we are each driving a story and we are the main focus. If it helps your 'story' to do a little editing I say it is fair game. Just be careful not to fall into the same trap many writers do and use overly thick plot armour :D

В 15.01.2020 в 10:51, FrazT сказал:

Check the number of users who download either the official editor or FMRTE and you will see that many users choose to play the game the way that thy get most enjoyment out of and that is what playing a game is all about.  As long as you are playing a one player game and not boasting about your achievements, then play the game whichever way you want.

It's true, but some of them download editors to change a team kits :) especially second or third which change IRL every season:thup:

• 1 month later...

I use attribute masking but will look at CA/PA. I read a thing recently saying this wasn't really cheating as people in real life have access to reports and videos, so if anything it looking at PA is more realistic.

I also find the star system is too erratic when building a club up so I have always looked at CA/PA. Sadly I don't think I can change the way I play anymore but I always think half the challenge is making a PA200 into a CA200. It's no good having a team of high potential kids if they never reach top potential.

I rarely cheat cheat though as the guilt is too much + I quite enjoy failing. I needed more transfer money at Necaxa on FM19 so upped my transfer budget via the editor. I didn't put on more than was in the clubs overall balance as a little tradeoff. I was sort of able to justify it that way.

As has been said,  I think the fact that you came in here and asked shows that really, in your heart of hearts, you already know.

However, it's your game, it's a single person game. Play it however you enjoy it.

Eh, tough question. 1. Cutrone - no cheating for me.

2. - maybe not a cheat if you consider that this is realistic for you. However I wouldn't do it. because for me like 90 % of unsettled players tend to go back to nromal after some time, so I would just let it fade away.

I personally consider "cheating" whatever a user adjusts/changes/modifies to achieve a result.

So my personal list of cheating is (random order):

1. Reloading a game

2. Increasing the budget or adding a sugar daddy via editor

3. Managing 2 clubs

4. Improve morale/fitness/attributes via editing

I don't think you did benefit so much from Cutrone's deal and by the way, you just respected the realistic terms so for me it's a NO CHEAT.

About Maldini, I personally think he is possibly tight strongly to AC Milan due to the family legacy, so at the moment I consider unrealistic he wanting to move to Arsenal, so for me it's a NO CHEAT.

This thing of cheating is really an obsession, for the most of us and me included. I play Juve and if I can't win the Champions League on first year I start from the scratch again (must say FM is extremely realistic not making this possible). I once asked a friend of mine if that could be considered cheating and he replied that it could be considered punitive and auto-lesionist instead.