Nearly thirty years have passed and still we can't buy a club or create one in our saved game

Why such an option has never been implemented? I think it would be cool to work for ten or twenty years, make money and buy or sell with that (otherwise useless) money a club, or found a new one. Is it because of licences? But AI can buy clubs... It would be cool to manage clubs, hire managers, changing kits, etc. I know that every year someone asks about it, but it has never been considered.

vor einer Stunde schrieb Tetsuro P12:

Why such an option has never been implemented? I think it would be cool to work for ten or twenty years, make money and buy or sell with that (otherwise useless) money a club, or found a new one. Is it because of licences? But AI can buy clubs... It would be cool to manage clubs, hire managers, changing kits, etc. I know that every year someone asks about it, but it has never been considered.

It was stated by SIs Miles Jacobson many times that FM will not become F Chairman. 

Stop Press

Jose Mourinho leaves Spurs to start new club from scratch. The Portuguese manager quipped,

“I decided to use my earnings to create a new club. It’s what most managers do, right? Also, I’m going to design the kit myself because reasons.”

9 hours ago, Tetsuro P12 said:

It has been considered... together with possibilities to design and expand your stadium, buy cars/houses with your money. But as stated above - the game is Football Manager.

Always thought it would be nice to retire your manager and any earnings over the years could be invested in the next club a new manager takes over.

30 years as manager. Retire.

Add new manager. Take over as manager somewhere.

Use old manager earnibgs as investment in your new club.

It is an entirely different game if you want to do that though. And it is not something SI are interested in. Which is fair enough.

With the in game editor and a skin with instant results, it is entirely possible to roleplay being a chairman though. Given that you can delegate almost anything in FM20. You could easily delegate the transfers, contracts, scouting, training, etc. You can then use your DOF or AssMan as the manager. You can use the in-game editor to target managers for these roles, move them and edit their contracts. You can control finances in this way too (although you would need a proper model for how and when you can add finances, sponsorship, etc.). Kits can be designed in the in-game editor too. You can sort out expansion of facilities, stadium and the like as well. You just need to set the rules yourself on how you do this.

While I understand this is not the same as the OP wants, this play style is entirely possible. Maybe an idea would be to get some people who are interested in this together, make some tools to help people manage the financial aspects to keep things balanced (an excel sheet determining how much you can invest or spend in a single season, something to determine contract values, something to determine which managers you can target for a given club, and probably other things). Then you can make a thread in the challenges forum, and people interested can play like this with you.

FIFA manager did. It was a big leap. I don't question that Sigames don't want to expand, it's their game, still that's something many customers would enjoy (as we did with FIFA Manager). I would appreciate it far more than the Development Centre that I completely ignore in my gaming (and that I didn't considered when buying FM20), and to reply to Bry... I suspect Mourinho ignore that too (there is specific staff in charge for youth development in clubs). :brock:

x sporadicsmiles: I was suggest about expanding the concept, not about killing the football manager's features. FIFA manager did it flawlessly (before getting killed by EA, as many other good games... unfortunately).

5 minutes ago, Carambau said:

FIFA manager never was able to depict on the pitch what you created in your tactic, so I could never take that seriously ... its kind of an arcade manager while FM is a simulation. 

Never said it was a better game, I said 'it implemented that feature flawlessly'. Still Sigames can explore and implement it far better if they want to (they wont, but it would be cool).

It was a good game, anyway, for what it's worth. I have good memories about it (as with a lot of other managing football games... Player Manager, Premier Manager, The Manager, Championship Manager, Football Manager 2, etc. there were son many fun managing games in the past).

8 minutes ago, Tetsuro P12 said:

Never said it was a better game, I said 'it implemented that feature flawlessly'. Still Sigames can explore and implement it far better if they want to (they wont, but it would be cool).

It was a good game, anyway, for what it's worth. I have good memories about it (as with a lot of other managing football games... Player Manager, Premier Manager, The Manager, Championship Manager, Football Manager 2, etc. there were son many fun managing games in the past).

I see where you´re coming from and I myself would LOVE to see an old-style manager like ThisTHIS  or This come out for casual play on my tablet, but I understand that isnt very probable to happen in the near future..

Edited by Carambau

1 hour ago, Smurf said:

Always thought it would be nice to retire your manager and any earnings over the years could be invested in the next club a new manager takes over.

Use old manager earnibgs as investment in your new club.

To expand on this - yes FM is a SIM game - but it also a game. 

There should be fun elements in it - like if someone wants to be able to edit the clubs jersey design - make it part of an achievement. 

Back to my idea.

I often play very long career games. I keep hearing people saying it's a SIM and FM don't want that - but yet in a long career game I reached 100 years old - hardly realistic is it? 

What I propose is that at the end of a career and retirement, you get to reinvest your earnings as an unnamed 3rd party consortium.

You might retire at 10 years in, 20 years in - or there are some who play 50-60 years into the game.

3 minutes ago, Carambau said:

I see where you´re coming from and I myself would LOVE to see an old-style manager like "On the Ball" come out for casual play on my tablet, but I understand that isnt very probable to happen in the near future..

There are literally loads of mobile/tablet orientated football management games out  there, including 'chairmen' style ones. Mostly basic, but isn't that what you're looking for?

1 minute ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

There are literally loads of mobile/tablet orientated football management games out  there, including 'chairmen' style ones. Mostly basic, but isn't that what you're looking for?

No, tried most of them and I don´t like them. They somehow miss the "charm" of the old games. It´s mostly online play against other players, crude team/player names and no editor to change them.

Edited by Carambau

2 hours ago, BayernMB said:

It has been considered... together with possibilities to design and expand your stadium, buy cars/houses with your money. But as stated above - the game is Football Manager.

It would be cool if there was a bit of an option when it comes to a new stadium, whether that would be a choice of names you can choose from for the board request, rather than being stuck with *Insert football club name* stadium. Maybe you could have 5 choices - a couple of close locations to where the club is in real life as if that club were moving to that area - a couple of made up company names where you could negotiate a larger sponsorship deal from them.

Maybe you could discuss in a bit more detail the capacity. If the board suggest a 15000 seater stadium, you could explain to them why actually a 20,000 seater stadium would be more viable, or you think a 10,000 would be all you need.

1 minute ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

What would happen then, if you're already retired? 

As I said in earlier posts - you take over as a new manager at whatever club you want to manage and the money is invested there.

See it something like this:

Retire from Career (or whatever it says)
(New Screen) You earned XXXmillion in your career 
Add New Manager and invest in a club?
Add New Manager don't invest in a club?
Don't add new manager?

Once you add your new manager to your new club - (it could be your old club) it gets a message that they got a new investment from a 3rd party consotrium (or advertising deal or something)

At least then you don't end up as a 100 year old manager. And you can invest some of the money you earned in your career in a roundabout way.

While I don't agree with the OPs idea I do think the game should stop your manager reaching 100 years old and make you retire at somepoint.

Also would like manager wages to mean something more than they do, there is no incentive to getting higher wages, from what I've noticed if you loose to many games the board will sack you weather you have a big contract or not.

Ability to use your own wages to fund a coaching course is all I can think of though without turning the game into something else.

There's an obvious point some people have missed.

Let's say a top-level manager has earned £20million in wages over their managerial career. That doesn't mean they'll have £20million to invest in a non-league club. A good chunk of their earnings be lost to taxes, bills, keeping their family fed and watered and under a roof, et cetera.

And managerial wages aren't useless at all. A higher salary gives you a little extra job security.

2 hours ago, CFuller said:

There's an obvious point some people have missed.

Let's say a top-level manager has earned £20million in wages over their managerial career. That doesn't mean they'll have £20million to invest in a non-league club. A good chunk of their earnings be lost to taxes, bills, keeping their family fed and watered and under a roof, et cetera.

And managerial wages aren't useless at all. A higher salary gives you a little extra job security.

You can implement expenditures as anything else. If there is one thing implemented well in FM it's finance, that would expand an area where Sigames is capable. And anyway you can't reinvent the wheel forever. I don't know how many of you consider the Development Centre a jewel but there are many features they can add to expand the game and make it more engaging. Bright Future GmbH implemented personal life, and it was a feature... I tell you. The only thing that I consider when buying new FMs are 3D match, AI assistance (because bored about micromanagement, especially morale/interviews) and licences. Still analysts was a good idea (but definitely marginal).

Edited by Tetsuro P12

35 minutes ago, thehig2 said:

While I don't agree with the OPs idea I do think the game should stop your manager reaching 100 years old and make you retire at somepoint.

Also would like manager wages to mean something more than they do, there is no incentive to getting higher wages, from what I've noticed if you loose to many games the board will sack you weather you have a big contract or not.

Ability to use your own wages to fund a coaching course is all I can think of though without turning the game into something else.

Sometimes I'll play a career save to the point all real players are no longer in the game.

I'll retire that manager and start over again - say in the year 2050. 

It gives me a new game with new players that I know nothing of and have to research. Start at low club and build up again.

What would be great is waiting those 30 years, building up some capital behind me to invest into a club when I retire my manager from yesteryear - and continue on as a new persona.

I know not everyone plays like that - but it's just an idea - as I prefer longevity in saves rather than starting over every 10 years.

Other ways it could be used I supposed is to buy Unlockables with club wages earned perhaps

One-time purchase unlockables (can be applied to all save games):

No Transfer Windows – this can be unlocked automatically by making a large profit when selling a player that you brought to the club.

No Loan Restrictions – this can be unlocked automatically by having a player on loan either at or from your club win a Player of the Year award.

No Sacking – this can be unlocked automatically by significantly increasing a club’s stature within the footballing community.

National Management – this can be unlocked automatically by winning a Manager of the Year award.

No Work Permit – this can be unlocked automatically by showing a commitment to home-grown talent.

Son Generated – this can be unlocked automatically by having a player retire after 10 years of service to his team.

All Players Interested – this can be unlocked automatically by winning 20 cup competitions.

Foreign Influx – this can be unlocked automatically by staying undefeated in a domestic league.

Unlimited Scouting – this can be unlocked automatically by managing a club for ten years.

Attribute Masking – this can be unlocked automatically by having a player win a Player of the Year award.

All Job Applications - this can be unlocked automatically by moving clubs 10 times.

Design a Son - this can be unlocked automatically by managing a club for 20 years

There's other ones - perhaps your wages can be used in this way too - to buy some things

Consumables (can be purchased multiple times)

£1m Boost Bank Balance

£5m Boost Bank Balance

£10m Boost Bank Balance

£50m Boost Bank Balance 

Morale Boost

Magic Sponge

Board Over-Ride

Dodgy Lasagne

Rolling Contract

Unsuspend Player

New Stadium

• Administrators
34 minutes ago, Smurf said:

Other ways it could be used I supposed is to buy Unlockables with club wages earned perhaps

Unlockables and Consumables are strictly for FMM / FMT. 

There's no desire or plans ever to introduce those into full FM. 

'Hey SI, I really like your product, but I think you should make your product do something completely different to what it does now because I want more'

I'd compare this to somebody reading a book or watching a film/series, and then complaining that the author ended it in a way the reader/watcher didn't like. 

@Smurf

Not for me that stuff like ruins the game, managers cant do things like that in real life.

I think if SI started cocking about with that type of stuff even less focus would go on making the game less broken(match engine, player concersations etc) 

Edited by thehig2

I used to play a game many years ago called Ultimate Soccer Manager and whilst the on-pitch action wasn't great, there was a whole load of club infrastructure/micromanagement you could indulge in, such as choosing which stands to upgrade and by how much, building Shops, Pubs, Hot-dog stands etc and being able to control the price of souvenirs/beers/hotdogs being sold and so forth. Would love to see some of that implemented into FM - for those who wish to do so, really allow you to micromanage the commercial side of things or delegate it if it's not your bag.

3 hours ago, Lucas said:

Unlockables and Consumables are strictly for FMM / FMT. 

There's no desire or plans ever to introduce those into full FM. 

Yes - I was spittballing ideas - nothing set in stone obviously.

4 minutes ago, thehig2 said:

@Smurf

Not for me that stuff like ruins the game, managers cant do things like that in real life.

I think if SI started cocking about with that type of stuff even less focus would go on making the game less broken(match engine, player concersations etc) 

To be honest, it's not realistic that I can live to be 100/200 years old either. 

Well - some ex-players have gone off and started their own clubs, some of which were managers before - likes of Neville and Scholes to name 2 of recent memory. Beckham has setup his own club. 

Ok - I know it's not the same as a manager doing it. But we are in a gaming world here and trying to add a feature that could be a bit of fun, after all gaming is supposed to be fun. It's a sim game, but at the end of the day - when 70 years into a save - is it even realistic anymore? 

All I'm saying is - if I retire my manager in the game to setup a new manager within that gaming world - then it would be interesting to have an option to invest my retired managers funds into a club that I want to take over.

It wouldn't even come up as Ex-Manager who retired has invested a lump sum into Lonely Club FC.

It would simply say New Manager has arrived at Lonely Club FC on the back of some an investment from a 3rd party consortium. 

And the game rolls on as normal, you're at your new club, new manager profile, and have a bit of financial backing in the coifers.

Nothing too unrealistic with that.

As I said - it would simply be an option for people who retire their managers - and the options would be

>Retire Manager
> Would you like to add a new manager and invest previous funds
> Yes Add Manager Invest Funds (then takeover club
> No - Add Manager but do NOT invest funds
> Retire Manager and add a new manager later

Or something to that effect.

1 hour ago, sorrenmills said:

I used to play a game many years ago called Ultimate Soccer Manager and whilst the on-pitch action wasn't great, there was a whole load of club infrastructure/micromanagement you could indulge in, such as choosing which stands to upgrade and by how much, building Shops, Pubs, Hot-dog stands etc and being able to control the price of souvenirs/beers/hotdogs being sold and so forth. Would love to see some of that implemented into FM - for those who wish to do so, really allow you to micromanage the commercial side of things or delegate it if it's not your bag.

I remember it, I was really bad at playing it (for Amiga) back in time. :D

48 minutes ago, sorrenmills said:

I also played USM'98 for a long while, and it was very enjoyable in it's own way. But in the universe of FM and what it offers to players, there would be a huge problem from a gameplay standpoint. There would be a - fairly easy to calculate - optimal price to set, where you make the absolute most possible profit. This means that, depending on which way it's implemented, either you have to find that price, set it once, and then you're done with this particular part of the game - or you have to keep tinker with it (as the club/reputation/attendance grows/shrinks) whenever the new season starts, after which you'll also be done with it for the rest of the season. The same with building/expanding merchandise shops, pubs and hot-dog stands; it would simply be busywork to keep the club making it's absolute maximum commercial profit. There's no actual gameplay benefit to it except to improve your financial situation ~ which is already implemented in the game through commercial income. It's just abstracted right now, because it's not engaging gameplay

If it were playable, choosing to delegate this side of the game would essentially cost you money in the long run, so it wouldn't really be a 'choice' to engage with this side of gameplay other than for role-playing reasons. 

Contrast training and youth facilities. Improving these gives you the opportunity to improve your player pool, which is what the game revolves around. Managing investments and upgrades to those facilities are actually an important part of the game. Do you save up £10M to improve your youth facilities, or do you sign that striker you've had your eye on for the past three seasons? These results are not linear, which these potential commercial activities would be, and are not easily 'optimizable' - which makes it more of a decision and therefor engaging

7 hours ago, Smurf said:

is that what happens in real life?

What you quote is also 2 different FM people, Manager 1, Manager 2

You can effectively do this in FM anyway....keep a running total of salary and bonus. When Manager 2 takes on a new club use in game editor to increase your funds by the amount you choose

While we're on the subject of engaging gameplay; I might as well address the OP. 

I'm going to say something that might hurt some feelings at SI but hopefully the devs are aware of this; the AI managers aren't very good. They play players out of position or in ways they aren't suited to, they let good players go for way too cheap, or don't play them so they get unhappy - they hold on to rubbish players and over-pay them. When I take over an AI club, I often find the club doesn't have anything resembling a balanced or even realistic squad; there are no left backs, or the club has 8 strikers while the previous manager played a 4-5-1, etc. And personally, I think that's fine. The game is about YOU and the things YOU do. I'm not a game developer, but I understand it would be practically impossible to build a manager AI that would be capable of making good decisions in the way a player would, while keeping the gameplay fun for players, especially those who aren't very good at the game. I would imagine having an AI that's smart enough to hold on to talented players would cause a large part of the player base to switch off - for them, it's just a bit of fun. And I fully understand that. 

My question to OP is, if you agree with the paragraph I wrote above; why would you essentially want to see AI managers duking it out with each other? Right now, the game's core mechanics are built around the things you as a manager interact with. Scouting, transfers, training, squad dynamics, player interactions, and matches. If you 'buy a club' all these mechanics go out of the window to be replaced with...what?  Either the developers would have to create a completely new 'landscape' where AI managers are actually interesting to watch (which I can't really envision in any way), or they would have to create ways that you can influence proceedings...which you already can just by being the manager yourself. Everything you want is already possible with the in-game editor and a bit of role-playing. I don't think it's very fun, but it's absolutely doable. 

Edited by PJHoutman88

5 hours ago, thehig2 said:

Great idea. SI should personally pay the money into our bank accounts reflecting the money we earn in game  ;)

You mention that there is no incentive to getting higher wages;  think of the AI Managers and and the in game players also :D

While I don't agree entirely with the OP's idea and think that what he is asking for is a more chairman/club orientated game (which would be interesting in its own right - especially if combined with a Civilization style implementation of 'Inverting the Pyramid'), however I do think for the sake of long-term games  SI should give the player more ability to change elements of the club.

Simulation games generally have two aspects to them - one is the simulation itself (in FM's case being the manager of a football club) and the world that simulation takes place in.  Si already allow us to change this via the editor. The problem is that it just allows a new static world to be defined, which is great for 'what-ifs' and challenges, but does not address the dynamic nature of the football world in a long term save. 

There are aspects of the editor that should be available to the player during the course of a save - and I'm making a very clear distinction here - there are things that the club manager shouldn't be able to do, but as a player of the game you should.  So things like  naming a new stadium (and let's face it the automatic naming is dreadful), or tweaking the kit every few years, after 10 years allowing league rules and structures to be amended.  All things that would enhance the FM experience by keeping the game world dynamic, without affecting the experience of being a manager operating with that world.

1 hour ago, sorrenmills said:

Ultimate Soccer Manager 98....a fantastic game!

24 minutes ago, PJHoutman88 said:

While we're on the subject of engaging gameplay; I might as well address the OP. 

I'm going to say something that might hurt some feelings at SI but hopefully the devs are aware of this; the AI managers aren't very good. They play players out of position or in ways they aren't suited to, they let good players go for way too cheap, or don't play them so they get unhappy - they hold on to rubbish players and over-pay them. When I take over an AI club, I often find the club doesn't have anything resembling a balanced or even realistic squad; there are no left backs, or the club has 8 strikers while the previous manager played a 4-5-1, etc. And personally, I think that's fine. The game is about YOU and the things YOU do. I'm not a game developer, but I understand it would be practically impossible to build a manager AI that would be capable of making good decisions in the way a player would, while keeping the gameplay fun for players, especially those who aren't very good at the game. I would imagine having an AI that's smart enough to hold on to talented players would cause a large part of the player base to switch off - for them, it's just a bit of fun. And I fully understand that. 

My question to OP is, if you agree with the paragraph I wrote above; why would you essentially want to see AI managers duking it out with each other? Right now, the game's core mechanics are built around the things you as a manager interact with. Scouting, transfers, training, squad dynamics, player interactions, and matches. If you 'buy a club' all these mechanics go out of the window to be replaced with...what?  Either the developers would have to create a completely new 'landscape' where AI managers are actually interesting to watch (which I can't really envision in any way), or they would have to create ways that you can influence proceedings...which you already can just by being the manager yourself. Everything you want is already possible with the in-game editor and a bit of role-playing. I don't think it's very fun, but it's absolutely doable. 

Why you wont retain everything? Nothing prohibit you to manage your club, not here nor in real life. You can still manage it while not being fired (since you are in charge of it), able to build structures as you please (if club finances let you do it), change kits, etc. Even the badge (as Juventus did). It would not be open to AI (why it should? It would not add anything), just the player would be able to buy or found clubs. Eventually you can assume a football manager, but that's not an important feature to have, the important thing is to buy or found clubs and do whatever you want with it (maybe making a lower league club a great club with your managing skills both as a football manager and as a chairman/whoeverbringsoutthecash).

I thought it was implicit.

39 minutes ago, MrPompey said:

is that what happens in real life?

What you quote is also 2 different FM people, Manager 1, Manager 2

You can effectively do this in FM anyway....keep a running total of salary and bonus. When Manager 2 takes on a new club use in game editor to increase your funds by the amount you choose

In real life managers don't run a club for 70 seasons either, or get to 100 years old.

Yes you can use in game editor - so what's the harm in putting a function in the game that means you don't have to mess with external editors? 

9 minutes ago, Tetsuro P12 said:

Why you wont retain everything? Nothing prohibit you to manage your club, not here nor in real life. You can still manage it while not being fired (since you are in charge of it), able to build structures as you please (if club finances let you do it), change kits, etc. Even the badge (as Juventus did). It would not be open to AI (why it should? It would not add anything), just the player would be able to buy or found clubs. Eventually you can assume a football manager, but that's not an important feature to have, the important thing is to buy or found clubs and do whatever you want with it (maybe making a lower league club a great club with your managing skills both as a football manager and as a chairman/whoeverbringsoutthecash).

I thought it was implicit.

I read it as you wanted to start a club and hire a manager, which is what you wrote. If what you meant is starting as a lower league club but being in charge of everything...that is already possible? FM allows you take charge of pretty much every aspect of the club.  Add the in-game editor which allows you to do things like change kit colours etc. You can already change the badge simply by designing one and loading it into the graphics. Founding a new club would be impossible because most countries don't have their lowest league in the game. So you'd have to take over an existing club, which, again, you can already do. If you don't want to start in the future, you can even use 'Create-A-Club'. 

When it comes to building new structures (I assume you mean secondary structures like hamburger shops etc), I addressed in my earlier posts why I think that would not be very interesting gameplay.

So you essentially just want what is already in the game, except you can't get fired? Because I genuinely don't understand what else you want.

7 minutes ago, PJHoutman88 said:

I read it as you wanted to start a club and hire a manager, which is what you wrote. If what you meant is starting as a lower league club but being in charge of everything...that is already possible? FM allows you take charge of pretty much every aspect of the club.  Add the in-game editor which allows you to do things like change kit colours etc. You can already change the badge simply by designing one and loading it into the graphics. Founding a new club would be impossible because most countries don't have their lowest league in the game. So you'd have to take over an existing club, which, again, you can already do. If you don't want to start in the future, you can even use 'Create-A-Club'. 

When it comes to building new structures (I assume you mean secondary structures like hamburger shops etc), I addressed in my earlier posts why I think that would not be very interesting gameplay.

So you essentially just want what is already in the game, except you can't get fired? Because I genuinely don't understand what else you want.

I suggest you to give an eye to the games mentioned (some very old), there are so many things that can be done, many pretty fun. For what I know pretty much everyone was happy about those aspects in other games. If you instead want a new 'Development Centre' (or whatever) every year that's still a respectable opinion. I think there are many paths to pursue that would add a lot to a game like this, add... not replace. Better start from doing something useful with the money you earn in-game.

Edited by Tetsuro P12

1 hour ago, Smurf said:

In real life managers don't run a club for 70 seasons either, or get to 100 years old.

Yes you can use in game editor - so what's the harm in putting a function in the game that means you don't have to mess with external editors? 

At the risk of repeating what has already been said.....SI have confirmed its FM Manager not FM Chairman

In terms of adding the extra functionality my personal view would be that  I'd rather they spend the time fixing the ME, fixing the large number of bugs that have been raised, introducing functionality that aligns with current challenges etc of a Football Manager etc to make the prime objective of the simulation more immersive rather than introducing some new functionality that adds little and meets the requirements of a very very small % of the users.

Of course I dont make the decisions so perhaps its a potential new feature request :)

9 hours ago, Tetsuro P12 said:

FIFA manager did it flawlessly (before getting killed by EA, as many other good games... unfortunately).

FIFA manager was god awful at everything else though. Which I know is besides the point, but I doubt using it as a good example will win anyone over to your cause. :D

I cannot see these things ever happening. It is an entirely separate game you are looking for, and all the functionality you need to do it exists in the in game editor (the official one, so no external tools). You would be better trying to found a kickstarter and getting an entirely new game together. 

1 hour ago, sporadicsmiles said:

FIFA manager was god awful at everything else though. Which I know is besides the point, but I doubt using it as a good example will win anyone over to your cause. :D

I cannot see these things ever happening. It is an entirely separate game you are looking for, and all the functionality you need to do it exists in the in game editor (the official one, so no external tools). You would be better trying to found a kickstarter and getting an entirely new game together. 

I definitely don't share your sentiment about it. It was a good game, I would like to know how it would have been today if not killed by EA. At that time I had more fun with it than with FM (that wasn't well rounded as it is now, micromanagement was awful if I remember correctly). Also you are exaggerating the situation, FIFA wasn't a completely different game than before, it just added those features, and definitely Sigames has always been richer and is been able to add what they want if they want. Sometimes competition do wonders.

Edited by Tetsuro P12

1 hour ago, MrPompey said:

At the risk of repeating what has already been said.....SI have confirmed its FM Manager not FM Chairman

In terms of adding the extra functionality my personal view would be that  I'd rather they spend the time fixing the ME, fixing the large number of bugs that have been raised, introducing functionality that aligns with current challenges etc of a Football Manager etc to make the prime objective of the simulation more immersive rather than introducing some new functionality that adds little and meets the requirements of a very very small % of the users.

Of course I dont make the decisions so perhaps its a potential new feature request :)

I am not advocating becoming a chairman at all! Don't know why you get that impression from me.

In terms of extra functionality and fixing things - they are doing all these things all the time anyway - and in the meantime also working on new features.

You make it sound like if they add a feature like this or any other feature that they won't work on anything else - which is just not true.

There are plenty of features I don't personally use in FM - there's tonnes of them - if we were to have that attitude then get rid of graphical data charts - get rid of all news items - get rid of all conferences - get rid of all interviews - because I don't use them and they are wasting developers time!!! 

No - we can't have that attitude.

The title of the thread is alluding to using our cash earned in-game to do something exciting. 

I've  3 very plausible usages for such earnings - and others have given great suggestions too. 

Ok, I've not ironed out the wrinkles. 

But there's always a call for using earings on this forum every single year - it's clearly a feature that people want - and here I am in the same boat - suggesting things that I think might work.

In no way does it make it football chairman, and no way does it take away from the immersion of being a  football manager - and it retains it as a sim.

A club would just get a cash injection from a 3rd party and that's all. 

No big whoop.

16 minutes ago, Smurf said:

I am not advocating becoming a chairman at all! Don't know why you get that impression from me.

In terms of extra functionality and fixing things - they are doing all these things all the time anyway - and in the meantime also working on new features.

You make it sound like if they add a feature like this or any other feature that they won't work on anything else - which is just not true.

There are plenty of features I don't personally use in FM - there's tonnes of them - if we were to have that attitude then get rid of graphical data charts - get rid of all news items - get rid of all conferences - get rid of all interviews - because I don't use them and they are wasting developers time!!! 

No - we can't have that attitude.

The title of the thread is alluding to using our cash earned in-game to do something exciting. 

I've  3 very plausible usages for such earnings - and others have given great suggestions too. 

Ok, I've not ironed out the wrinkles. 

But there's always a call for using earings on this forum every single year - it's clearly a feature that people want - and here I am in the same boat - suggesting things that I think might work.

In no way does it make it football chairman, and no way does it take away from the immersion of being a  football manager - and it retains it as a sim.

A club would just get a cash injection from a 3rd party and that's all. 

No big whoop.

LOL - That's the feedback from SI (Miles), ignore it if you like

If you choose not to use football management functionality included in the game thats your choice and no doubt a good feature of the game

Your suggestion is no doubt a feature some people would like but it would certainly not be the majority if at the the detriment to more valuable functional changes or fixes There's always a call each year for a difficulty factor that people can adjust but not seen that yet other than changes that can be made via the editor. 

Yeah it does make it football chairman at least 3 of us say the same ;)  Its so easily replicated with an editor change (call it third party investment if you want)

I agree its no big whoop which is why I would hope SI  DONT focus on this but focus on the proper football management functionality and other stuff they do. 

My view doesnt stop you putting together a sound proposal but for me premise of it is far from exciting

I wouldn't necessarily use this but I never understand the opposition to it, FM is full of superficial features that you don't have to utilise unless you want to. I definitely understand where @Smurf is coming from and his specific example of a long term save. I very rarely add a second manager like he does, but I do play for around forty seasons and retire my manager at a reasonable age.

I'd actually go as far as to say that rather than just investing the funds in a team it would be good if you could actually convert it into club funds. I would absolutely love a journeyman career where I started off at a small club before going off to have global success, then I could come back to the club where it all began and give a huge cash injection and try to move them up the leagues - who wouldn't love this! The thing is as well, not many FM players would even be able to properly use the feature but for those of us that do play on into the far future it'd be a nice little reward.

In my FM20 save I have nearly £400m in career earnings but it is all a bit pointless. The only thing I use my wage for is to make the game harder I sometimes will make sure I am the best paid person at the club so it's like a salary cap I guess.

1 hour ago, MrPompey said:

LOL - That's the feedback from SI (Miles), ignore it if you like

What are you laughing at? The feedback is it wont become a chairman game.

My suggestion is nothing like a chairman game.

If you dont like it the fair enough. 

But dont laugh at other people.

And there are loads of superficial things in fm, some use them others dont. Doesnt make them useless.

I hate media interaction and dont use it all. Others love it.

Does not mean it should be removed, and doesnt mean it shouldnt be expanded on.

You are given a wage and cant use it. The topic is how to use the wages you earn. I have given examples of how it may be used.

You havent. Stay on topic. Or dont bother replying if you are going to just laugh at people and try and belittle them.

4 minutes ago, Smurf said:

What are you laughing at? The feedback is it wont become a chairman game.

My suggestion is nothing like a chairman game.

If you dont like it the fair enough. 

But dont laugh at other people.

And there are loads of superficial things in fm, some use them others dont. Doesnt make them useless.

I hate media interaction and dont use it all. Others love it.

Does not mean it should be removed, and doesnt mean it shouldnt be expanded on.

You are given a wage and cant use it. The topic is how to use the wages you earn. I have given examples of how it may be used.

You havent. Stay on topic. Or dont bother replying if you are going to just laugh at people and try and belittle them.

Thats it really. Theres plenty of people that play really long career games.