[Discussion] - auto save to stop cheating

jharcourt1

Hi all,

I’ve loved Football Manager forever, since it was CM, I’ve played for the best part of 15 years, but one thing I hate is cheating.

your mate who always wins the Prem with Scunthorpe after 3 seasons, and you want to believe them, you want to credit them with beautiful tactical management and business acumen, but you just know deep down they turned off games they lost until they won.

The community needs a way of allowing players to cheat if they want, but also a way of identifying (clearly) a save that has never had suspicious intervention.

im not techy so I don’t know how this could work, but it’d be a great feature to have added if flawless.

what do you think?

16 minutes ago, jharcourt1 said:

Hi all,

I’ve loved Football Manager forever, since it was CM, I’ve played for the best part of 15 years, but one thing I hate is cheating.

your mate who always wins the Prem with Scunthorpe after 3 seasons, and you want to believe them, you want to credit them with beautiful tactical management and business acumen, but you just know deep down they turned off games they lost until they won.

The community needs a way of allowing players to cheat if they want, but also a way of identifying (clearly) a save that has never had suspicious intervention.

im not techy so I don’t know how this could work, but it’d be a great feature to have added if flawless.

what do you think?

why does it matter, its a single player game, its not like you get a prize or something.  how someone plays a game they purchased  is up to them and frankly, none of your business. I will also add ive seen a good number of people complain about "cheaters" yet ask in other threads about skins having CA and PA in them, Looking in the bargain players  thread and so on. If you want to get technical, its all cheating.

Why so defensive?

It’d be a nice way to separate those who have genuinely done something incredible from those who have falsified. This would then in turn lead to ‘trusted’ or ‘genius’ players who could give real advice on tactics used and methodology behind how they respond to the game. At the moment you could be taking advice from someone who’s got no clue, just used a restart technique.

itd also be a nice way to monetise playing (if the game wanted to go that way from a business opportunity perspective)

You can set the game to save after each match. It's still possible to save scum by closing down the game during the match or before you continue past the post-match team talk, but it's the best available now.

While I sympathise with being on the end of frustrating discussions with people who boast of insane winning records that reek of save cheating, I also sort of agree with Ross Ingersol in that it is each persons private game. Maybe try and find inner joy with knowing they will never get the same level of immersive fun out of it than you do.

To rumble people, or just bore them, try and focus on talking about achievements like amazing relegation escapes, or bouncing back after being fired. They will likely look blankly back at you as they have never gotten remotely close to the bottom half of the table at any point in their soulless games.

These days I only play an online game against a mate. It can take a little bit of organisation and compromise, and the host still has the capability to cheat, but there is far less compulsion and opportunity to do so, and it would be pretty obvious. It also has the bonus of being able to share those amazing escapes, cup runs and heartbraking relegations with a mate.

As for a fture solution, in a single player mode, a future web hosted version could prevent save cheating and access to the database. Saving the game could happen constantly so you could never 'go back'. Might be something to look forward to :-)

On 06/02/2020 at 13:57, jharcourt1 said:

Why so defensive?

It’d be a nice way to separate those who have genuinely done something incredible from those who have falsified. This would then in turn lead to ‘trusted’ or ‘genius’ players who could give real advice on tactics used and methodology behind how they respond to the game. At the moment you could be taking advice from someone who’s got no clue, just used a restart technique.

itd also be a nice way to monetise playing (if the game wanted to go that way from a business opportunity perspective)

I wouldnt call my response defensive at all  , i just think its silly for anyone to get upset over how someone plays a single player game.  If thats what they enjoy, who am i to say anything to them.  At the end of the day its for fun and if thats fun to them, have at it. 

Edited by Ross Ingersoll

I think the best option is to have 'Ironman' mode which also disables in-game editors and possibly adding additional managers without retiring your existing one [the reason I don't say no additional managers at all is that a lot of the popular 'start with an unplayable team' challenges rely on holidaying and then adding a manager to a newly promoted team in the second season.]

Some people like cheating/experimenting, some people like proving the validity of their success for Steam achievements

Edited by enigmatic

I'd definitely be up for the option. We already have the ability to evidence the fact that we have not used the IGE on the Game Status screen and the addition of holiday & to the manager overview so perhaps something similar where the game records if you quit mid game and have to save after every game? I can imagine a crash dump would drive me mad but to be honest, I would enable this myself and would include a screenshot of it as evidence of my doing it the right way when sharing any experiences online.

On 11/02/2020 at 01:50, Ross Ingersoll said:

I wouldnt call my response defensive at all  , i just think its silly for anyone to get upset over how someone plays a single player game.  If thats what they enjoy, who am i to say anything to them.  At the end of the day its for fun and if thats fun to them, have at it. 

I’m not upset, I’m suggesting a new feature that i’d like to see...

• 4 months later...