Same old season?

Without exaggeration, this is exactly what 90 percent of my seasons are like with Newcastle. I start well having scored roughly 20 goals in 5 pre season games (give or take, V similarly rated clubs). I may win 5 out of my first six or seven, usually even against a top five club. I think this is my season finally. BOOM. Newly promoted, bottom of the league team on zero points comes along and smashes me 3-0. I then go on a ten match streak without winning. I get grouchy for the next 2 or three days whilst I slug out an abysmal season. Finish 7-10th. Repeat. 

My tactics clearly work but I am now convinced that the game has some odds unfairly stacked against the human manager in the background, AI insight into your tactics etc. 

Edited by Danielfc

1 hour ago, Danielfc said:

I start well having scored roughly 20 goals in 5 pre season games (give or take, V similarly rated clubs).

You can't purely look at results in friendlies to judge a tactic/system. Players have less motivation and the AI doesn't care about winning/losing in a friendly because it doesn't matter.

I may win 5 out of my first six or seven, usually even against a top five club.

Newly promoted, bottom of the league team on zero points comes along and smashes me 3-0.

2 very different types of opposition here though. This could show that you do fairly well against even or better teams, but struggle against poor teams who will be quite defensive. Something to think about.

My tactics clearly work

I definitely wouldn't say it 'clearly' works. That's not to say it does or doesn't, but just dismissing the idea that there aren't issues so easily is not a great idea.

but I am now convinced that the game has some odds unfairly stacked against the human manager in the background, AI insight into your tactics etc. 

This isn't true. You may feel this way, but there's nothing like this in the game. The AI barely has insight into their own tactics, nevermind yours.

There may be either tactical issues or poor decision making either in general strategy, decisions in-match etc, but I think this is important :

slug out an abysmal season. Finish 7-10th.

What about this is abysmal? You finish top half to mid-table. Newcastle are currently 14th and on a poor run. They're predicted to finish 17th in FM20's starting database, if my quick googling is correct. You're doing much better than real life and what's expected in FM. Don't be too hard on yourself.