The Stories Forum Community/Discussion thread

Raptor

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi all,

Don't know how many people are still around from when I wrote my Stockport story/journal about a year ago but I've just stumbled across it in the CMStories site. I'm currently play with QPR (another tale of rising from the 2nd Division to the Premier League), though I'm not having the success I enjoyed with Stockport. Anyway, I'm looking at leaving QPR to manage a Welsh Premier League team, and if (when) I do, I'll once again chronicle the events in CMS.

Keep up the top quality and entertaining work everyone!

Shpina

Hello all.

As this topic is for discussion, I thought I would ask a question.

When writing stories, do you have any tips or techniques when playing games? For example do people prefer to play a few games at a time writing notes as they go or play 1 game at a time and write about it straight after including anything else worthy of noting down.

Hope the above makes sense.

That depends on how you like to write I think.

I have always Word open when I play CM and I write as the game progresses on, but some might write in an other way. It also depends on the amount of detail you want to put in I think.

Yeh i do exactly as Bjorn does......keep word open and pause the game while im putting something down but yes not all people want to put alot of detail into there stories. You need to experiment and see what is comfortable for you

Like the others, I write as I play. I also tend to write a fair amount at a sitting - more than I would post. This gives me a buffer for most of my stories so I can keep them updated whilst I work on others. Go with whatever works for you.

Depends on the style I'm using really...in my Ross County story I deliberately tried out a few styles to see what I liked best for future stories - when I do the diary style of update say 3 or 4 times per season I just play all the games and then write the update, clicking on each of the relevant fixtures as I go and replaying the goals if I wish. For the newspaper match report style I play the game, then immediately afterwards I replay the highlights and write about it. I also used that for the one commentary attempt I tried - played the game in full match mode, then replaid the extended highlights for commentary.

Depends how you like to do it though really - for me it tends to vary depending on where I'm at whether the story is more important or the game itself - e.g. with Ross County I'm in ~season 12 I think and various parts of that haven't been that interesting story-wise (e.g. once we are out of European Cup for season and the league is all but wrapped up) so then I concentrate more on the game and just do the story update later.

I just scribble down whatever seems important as I'm playing, sometimes go back to match reports for detail, but in the only story I've written so far the narrative is much more important than what goes on in the game, which is why the story is progressing so slowly in terms of 'game dates'. Actually, another reason for that is I don't really have much time to play CM solo, especially now I'm writing about it, so I tend to mix up actual game occurrences with a lot of background or 'peripheral' features, which don't require having to play the game in a sustained manner.

'Whatever you think is the most fun' is probably the best rule to apply here -flogging a dead horse simply to avoid being branded a 'quitter' (or a 'story whore'... icon_biggrin.gif) can only result in disappointment and frustration, both for you and for the readers following the story.

Hey guys.

I'm finishing my story in the next couple of days, and i'm feeling a bit depressed about it.

I don't know what to do next - i want to write something else but I'm having a battle with a Sith Lord called Darth of Ideas. In short I havent a flipping clue what to do next. I might just kick back and read everyone elses.

Rich

I was gonna do a story like Who's Calling the Shots - i do an American History degree you see. Its a good idea.

I was also thinking of having a team full of historical characters a la Bill and Teds excellent adventure.

I was going to do a story where i include Ho Chi Minh, Stalin, Saddam Hussein (playing in the 'hole' behind the front two... heh heh) and others, but i reckon it'd be shortlived.

Doctor Who, continue Who's calling the shots - it was fantastic...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Richey:

Originally posted by Dark_Soccer:

hehe as long as you read mine its ok icon_wink.gif

QUOTE]

Your story's really cool - i like the style. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Style what style? icon_biggrin.gif

I just try to make it easy to read while giving I feel detailed match reports and whats happening in the world at the time!

As i said in my story thread...any comments and/or criticism are welcome icon_smile.gif

Well what ever you start Richey...ill be following icon14.gif

This is twice now that i have posted for my golden boot story - and twice now that it has not posted !!! Arggghhh its since the forum has changed to EVE !!!! POOHHH.

GOing to have to write to word then post just in case now..

Gutted, off to bed !

Is it just me or does anyone else have a problem in sticking to a single tense? I find when I am writing that I tend to switch between present and past tense without even noticing. Which tense do you think reads best, generally speaking? And does tense switching detract from the story or is it not something that you tend to be aware of?

i have real troubles with that as well. but i tend to find that it only annoys me when i'm reading over my own stories. i also have to really check when i'm writing a story in the third person as i regularly slip to a first person view icon_frown.gif

I'm with Terk on that one - I'm my own biggest critic regarding spelling and grammar and suchlike when I re-read my own stories, but such things as tenses don't overly bother me when reading other people's stories - obviously it depends how much it changes, but just past and present doesn't bother me!

I deliberately change tenses, kind of a trademark thingy I guess.

More annoying to change between 1st and 3rd person without realising it.

BTW, regarding editing: the issue was raised with Marc Duffy yesterday, but it's something software related at the moment, so will take a while to sort out I guess. It's probably best to keep track of the things you'd like to change, because if/when there's a solution, we'll probably allow unlimited editing for a few days to create a window for people to fix it, much like we did a couple of years ago.

Interesting point about tenses, I'm glad I'm not the only one icon_smile.gif. I used to have difficulty with accidentally slipping between the two, a problem that still occurs occasionally, but I think I have reined it in and like Raptor I now do it deliberately in certain areas. For example, most of the time I'll write the build up to a match in the present tense, then do the match report in the past tense, with one or two exceptions such as when I'm spreading an important report over several posts. In a particular case I found that building tension and creating cliffhangers seemed easier and more effective in the present tense, for some reason.

I agree with glamdring, it isn't something that disturbs me when I'm reading other people's stories.

Urgh! This forum (as in the whole SI forums) is truly atrocious now - what have they done to it with all this Eve stuff?! It was so much better before when you could edit and see who was online on a forum and the forum text was nicer etc, etc icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by glamdring:

Urgh! This forum (as in the whole SI forums) is truly atrocious now - what have they done to it with all this Eve stuff?! It was so much better before when you could edit and see who was online on a forum and the forum text was nicer etc, etc icon_frown.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

As you might have seen Raptor post above, the edit function is currently an issue thats being sorted it out, its the same for FMO aswell icon_smile.gif

Just post in Mods Request as per usual I guess if there are any problems, i'll be keeping an eye on it while Raptor sorts his problems out and has his holiday icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Richey:

I don't know what to do next - i want to write something else but I'm having a battle with a Sith Lord called Darth of Ideas. In short I havent a flipping clue what to do next. I might just kick back and read everyone elses.

Rich <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've always wanted to do something along the lines of the movie Sliding Doors, ie a savegame where you manage one team then take the job of another and run two games side by side to see how it would've worked out if you'd taken stayed or gone. I'm sure there are a lot of other intricate story elements you could use to intertwine the two storylines.

Anyway, don't spose I'll ever do it cos I can't be arsed and my computer really isn't very quick with CM03/04. I don't *think* anyones done anything like that before so if you think that sounds interesting give it a try icon_smile.gif

Yeah, I think it is every 3 months. Initially (when I first joined the forum) I thought that seemed like far too big a gap, but for a real good challenge like Lisbon Lions (took me 11 seasons to achieve the club part of that) and especially HD's it definitely needs that long icon_wink.gif

Could our senior forum member BobBev kindly take up an interim role as SOTW Panel chairman? icon_smile.gif I won't be able to do it for the next 3 calls, and we've already missed a few due to tech probs.

Just ask Goldy, Taipan or any other kind mod to sticky the winner on SUnday/Monday. icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Raptor:

Could our senior forum member BobBev kindly take up an interim role as SOTW Panel chairman? icon_smile.gif I won't be able to do it for the next 3 calls, and we've already missed a few due to tech probs.

Just ask Goldy, Taipan or any other kind mod to sticky the winner on SUnday/Monday. icon14.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm guessing not icon_smile.gif

We'll see what happens next weekend...

Hi. I used to spend a fair bit of time on here but this is my first time back in a while. Things certainly seemed to have changed a lot, (well the moans are still the same, they just seem to be on a slightly different topic now). Look, I need your advice, all of you. Well, some of you at least. When posting here before, I always typed my stories in word first and then copy and pasted them into CMS (sorry, FMS now!). I have had to re-load all files on my computer due to major f*ck up. Now my computer thinks that I have never used word before even though it was part of the package that I purchased and have used it numerous times. I have 2 questions...............

1. Is there any way to obtain a code that I can insert into my computer when asked that will allow me to use word as before???

2. If not, what do people use who haven't got access to word, (or is that silly. Does everyone have access to word).

Thanks in advance and sorry if my questions have obvious answers. I have been away a while. Been playing again for a couple of weeks and now have the bug and the time to write again but do not seem to have the tools. Cheers in advance. icon_confused.gif.

Word comes with MS Office and a couple of other packages, which normally is an additional cd to windows.

You can use Word Pad.....which is normally found under Start > Programs > Accessories > Word Pad

If its Word Pad you were after, then you can normally install this via the Windows CD. (On Win98) Start > Settings > Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs > Tab Menu called Windows Setup.

Hope that helps!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gricehead:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Raptor:

Just ask Goldy, Taipan or any other kind mod to sticky the winner on SUnday/Monday. icon14.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm guessing not icon_smile.gif

We'll see what happens next weekend... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well I've not been contacted by anyone to sticky/unsticky any topics. So if the "senior member" is not available then perhaps setting up of a tempory voting system on which thread should go sticky, can be put into place during Raptors leave.

Let me know what you regular FMS think on what should be done during Raptors absence icon_smile.gif

Thanks Goldy, that's easier than using notepad.

Another question if I may. There seems to have been some steps forward since I was last around where u can change the colour of your writing. I haven't as yet seen this done in anyones story and I tried and failed to use it myself. Is it something that is still being worked on or have we given up on it or does it in fact work for people unlike myself that no what they are doing with PC's.

Cheers in advance.

Archived