Will new rivalries form over time?

Currently playing a Frosinone save. Managed to stay in the top flight for the first time in club history; unfortunately, as they don't have much top flight history, they haven't exactly developed rivalries with top flight clubs. Reggina could potentially secure promotion via playoff; however, they overachieved staying up in Serie B, so not likely they'd stay up in Serie A. 

So that brings me to my question, will new rivalries form over time? If so, how? Match results? Is there a media component? Simply time and geography?

6 minutes ago, Carambau said:

I dont think this is in the game. 

And how would the CPU determine what is a rivalry exactly? Apart from location.

Matches. Competitive.

Playing the same team in multiple seasons in a cup final. Finishing 1st and 2nd repeatedly over three seasons etc. I’m sure a little snippet of code could track this and then add said club to the rivalries info tab.

A bit like how the game now tracks what you do, tactically and in the transfer market and then adds and updates the info in your manager profile.

It could even update in a different colour or something to show it’s save specific.

Edited by Tyburn

1 hour ago, Neil Brock said:

Yes, new rivalries can be formed over time. Off the top of my head I can't remember the exact criteria for it to occur, but certainly close league races, crucial matches etc will all play a part. Will see if I can dig up the info from when it was implemented. 

Fantastic! 

This is very very interesting because I had a similar question.

I am not an expert in English football. I play the FM 17 and in my actual save I leaved the Blackburn Rovers after 7 years and accepted an offer from Liverpool. The save is totally about 15 saisons old. So, much happened in my parallel universe.

My keeper wanted to go to Chelsea and I accepted that. I bought a new one frm Westham and got questions from the press about buying a player from a rival. The same happened when I bought a right AV backup from Chelsea.

In the general information about Liverpool no rivaly to the Hammers or Chelsea is mentioned, so I was a bit surprised. This would explain that.

Knowing this can happen, I have to be honest and say that I feel disappointed that no rivalry between my current club Toulouse and PSG has appeared yet. 

We are currently on course to finish as the top 2 sides in Ligue 1 for a 12th successive season. We both tend to get 100 points plus each season and finish around 30 points clear of 3rd. Our 2 league matches are always hugely important given the lack of points we both drop against the other teams.

During that time we have also met 8 times in the French Cup final and twice at the semi final stage. I'm assuming the fact that we have only drawn each other once in the Champions League is delaying this rivalry. That is the only reason that makes total sense in my mind. 

Edited by Things Could Get Messi

2 hours ago, Things Could Get Messi said:

Knowing this can happen, I have to be honest and say that I feel disappointed that no rivalry between my current club Toulouse and PSG has appeared yet. 

We are currently on course to finish as the top 2 sides in Ligue 1 for a 12th successive season. We both tend to get 100 points plus each season and finish around 30 points clear of 3rd. Our 2 league matches are always hugely important given the lack of points we both drop against the other teams.

During that time we have also met 8 times in the French Cup final and twice at the semi final stage. I'm assuming the fact that we have only drawn each other once in the Champions League is delaying this rivalry. That is the only reason that makes total sense in my mind. 

Um... this should really have formed a rivalry, no?

2 hours ago, Tyburn said:

Um... this should really have formed a rivalry, no?

Something is broken with PSG's in game, resulting in his club being considered to much of a joke compared to them to be a rival. It would take 10+ years (if it's possible) to get strong enough for any French club to compete with PSG and become a rival. (I think the coefficency system is on a 10 year timer?)

This is also shown in PSG ability to unseat players with low bid on star players from top clubs, the only reason Messi isn't moving to PSG every game, seems to be the fact that PSG doesn't bid on him, they seem able to unseat every single player they have bid on, no matter what top club I manage.

7 hours ago, Miravlix said:

Something is broken with PSG's in game, resulting in his club being considered to much of a joke compared to them to be a rival. It would take 10+ years (if it's possible) to get strong enough for any French club to compete with PSG and become a rival. (I think the coefficency system is on a 10 year timer?)

This is also shown in PSG ability to unseat players with low bid on star players from top clubs, the only reason Messi isn't moving to PSG every game, seems to be the fact that PSG doesn't bid on him, they seem able to unseat every single player they have bid on, no matter what top club I manage.

It certainly seems broken. I have won more league titles than PSG over the last decade. I've also won a couple of Champions League titles whilst PSG haven't made a final. Based on my success alone, PSG should see me as a rival and the team to beat. We both also have 5 star reputation ratings so I shouldn't be any sort of joke to them. 

What you say about PSG trying to unsettle players is still spot on. They bid for 3 or 4 of my best players every year without fail. Thankfully, a lot of my players have been at the club from a young age and are easy to win round. I see PSG as my rival and I won't sell them any player I want to keep. The only player I've ever sold them was a right back who I didn't need because I had 2 others that were better. Despite all of this, they don't ever seem to get the hint! 

On 10/03/2020 at 18:10, sorrenmills said:

It definitely does happen. My Shrewsbury team developed a rivalry with Arsenal over a period of time in which we were competing for titles.

How unrealistic is that? Arsenal challenging for titles!