[FM20] Sheffield Steel - An FM Personality Experiment

That There Phil

This is a terrific thread @That There Phil! You’ve inspired me to have a go at something similar with Arsenal (we desperately need a mentality change IRL and in-game).

Daley Blind and Marco Parolo were my first model citizen signings and are now team leaders. Other model citizen signings were Darren Fletcher, Rodrigo Palacio, and Fran Rico. So far none of my mentoring groups have resulted in any new model citizens but I am seeing positive personality changes in my youngsters.

Please keep us updated!

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 28/06/2020 at 22:35, futbol fan said:

This is a terrific thread @That There Phil! You’ve inspired me to have a go at something similar with Arsenal (we desperately need a mentality change IRL and in-game).

Daley Blind and Marco Parolo were my first model citizen signings and are now team leaders. Other model citizen signings were Darren Fletcher, Rodrigo Palacio, and Fran Rico. So far none of my mentoring groups have resulted in any new model citizens but I am seeing positive personality changes in my youngsters.

Please keep us updated!

I'm glad you're enjoying it and that it's inspired you to try something similar. Just remember that what I'm doing is really extreme, but if you improve the personality of your squad more slowly (not that hard with Arsenal), then it can only benefit you in the long term. Just make sure you get rid of Ozil as soon as possible! Parolo and Blind are both great tutors, just beware of passing on any of their player traits.

I took a bit of a break due to being a bit burnt out with FM, but I'll be playing some more and updating later today.

Youth Intake 2021

Our 2nd youth intake is another disappointing one and I have no idea where we managed to find a Swedish/Lebanese player!

intake.thumb.png.af8d440ecb1aac35a38b29dd56034c7c.png

A quick look at the overview tells me that there's only one player worth keeping in terms of personality and potential, and that is Tom Harrison.

Harrison.thumb.png.c7b490bf0011aff436178b4cf6eeacde.png

He looks like a decent prospect as a central defender, with attributes in all the right places and a good personality. He does have low natural fitness though, which I hate. If he develops into a world class player then I can probably overlook that, but otherwise I'll probably look to develop him to sell on in a few years time.

A Note About Notes

I have to confess that if I'm not careful, I can often find myself clicking the continue button over and over in an attempt to get to the next match as quickly as possible - especially when things are going well. To make sure that I don't neglect important tasks by doing this, I use the system of notes in the game to stay on top of things. To get to the notebook, simply click on the home screen, then click notebook.

notebook.thumb.png.d5578edd1c1e654e5676e93fa7ac892e.png

As you can see I currently have the following 6 notes (I put them in upper case because it makes the reminder harder to miss in my inbox):

Check for expiring contracts - Reminder: 1st December, yearly. This is a reminder to check the player search and my shortlists for players with contracts due to expire in the summer, meaning they can be approached to sign on the 1st January. I search at the start of December to give me a month to get any scout reports etc that i need before making an approach.

Check for youth - Reminder: 23rd July then every 3 months. This is a reminder to search for any promising youth players. I have various ways that I do that, which I'll do a full post on later on so won't go into detail here, but I'll spend anywhere between 5 minutes and a couple of hours performing various manual searches to supplement the suggestions that my scouts provide.

Clean up shortlists x2 - Reminder: 3rd February and 3rd September, yearly. This is a reminder to go through my shortlist and get rid of any players that I'm no longer interested in. Perhaps they're too old, or they've signed for a big club putting them out of reach financially. Whatever the reason, I like to keep my shortlists streamlined and stop them becoming bloated and difficult to manage.

Development Centre - Reminder: 1st of the month, monthly. This is a new addition, recently stolen from Oliver Jensen. I've kind of neglected the development centre in FM 20, but it's a great place to get an overview of how your young players are developing; who is developing nicely, who needs work, and who is ready to move up to the next level. You can then take the appropriate action as soon as possible to keep their development ticking along.

Mentoring Check - Reminder: 15th of the month, monthly. This is a reminder to check my mentoring groups to make sure they are still optimum, or if I want to make any tweaks to them. It's obviously crucial in this save, but I make sure to micromanage them in all my saves - looking for those incremental improvements that can give me the edge.

Training Check - Reminder: 8th of the month, every 3 months. I manage the individual training for all my playing squads, so this is a reminder to go through all of the individual training assignments to make any changes that are needed as they develop or if things aren't working. To be honest I'd rather do this every 2 months, but the only options for reminders are monthly or three monthly.

Some of the dates I've chosen for things are deliberate, such as cleaning up shortlists just after the transfer windows close, but others are pretty arbitrary just to make sure that everything doesn't happen all at once on the 1st of the month.

I'd be interested to know if you do anything similar and what notes you use - basically I'm looking for more good ideas to steal! :D

Edited by That There Phil

March - April 2021

Results

results.thumb.png.0dba603242f7d823109c16bfbb1a7b2f.png

March began in routine fashion with a 2-0 win away at Southampton, and continued in the same vein with a comfortable 2-0 home win against Fulham. The final game in a quiet month was the 2nd leg of our Champions League tie against Schalke, and a second consecutive 1-0 win gave us a 2-0 victory on aggregate. We drew Manchester City in the quarter final, giving us a tough route to the final 4.

results.thumb.png.de49db0eab52d4f8fcd73f6cc34a7725.png

If March was routine, then April was anything but, and it began with a visit from Liverpool who were directly below us in the table, and most likely to take our Champions League spot. We matched them for most of the first half before Mohamed Salah got his marching orders for a bad foul in the 40th minute. We went for the jugular against 10 men in the second half, but we couldn't beat an inspired Allison and ended up with a slightly disappointing 0-0 draw. We went away to Manchester City in the Champions League and gave a really good account of ourselves, grabbing what I hoped would be a crucial away goal in the 49th minute, and holding out for a creditable 1-1 draw. Fixture congestion meant we put out a weakened team against second placed Arsenal, and they did themselves proud, only losing to a single deflected goal. Man City were in town next as we looked to book a place in the next round of the Champions League, and despite fighting back twice, we just couldn't find a winner, and ultimately went out on away goals after two solid results. We rounded out a tough month with a visit to top of the league Tottenham, and despite being dominated on the pitch, we held firm after scoring an early goal and left with the points.

Table

table.png.4d1ad1c66ed252d81b4f47ea103c61cf.png

The tough schedule in April saw us drop a place to 4th and has me looking over my shoulder at Liverpool who are only 3 points behind. We do have two games in hand though, and if we win them it will put us on the verge of securing 4th place and Champions League football for a 2nd year in a row.

Mentoring

We didn't have any mentoring success, but there was some other positive news to report.

SGC1.thumb.png.66d778f0746e491fa67583f79353d665.png

camavinga.thumb.png.e26bede5d16b2deb328df5e6d8280e07.png

Camavinga gained a point of determination and took his place as our 12th model citizen. Interestingly he hasn't had any gains from mentoring - his first was from his welcoming period and the latest from the squads general character.

1746253954_ferrerwp.thumb.png.78b07974efdbb83e87c1da7304a46af8.png

ferrer.thumb.png.17d0f457d243ea65cb48fa16641f39a7.png

And speaking of welcoming periods, Damian Ferrer gained a point of determination from his. His personality hasn't changed, but it's the first step on his journey with us.

12 hours ago, That There Phil said:

He's good alright!

mendes2.thumb.png.29a016a6578667731f3b0f7d51848335.pngmendes1.thumb.png.1bb2064cd4e06fc0946007ff78883602.png

He's also not interested in joining us. Sad times.

Time for a couple of trips to watch Porto?

And get a scout to follow him around permanently, wearing the mascot costume so he knows which team is interested

2 hours ago, scousevasey said:

Time for a couple of trips to watch Porto?

And get a scout to follow him around permanently, wearing the mascot costume so he knows which team is interested

My chief scout is currently camped on his doorstep!

It looks like age might finally be caching up with Rodrigo Palacio. Fortunately we only have 2 games to go this season, and he will only be an emergency backup player next year before he retires in June 2022. Hopefully we can still get some mentoring influence from him in his final season.

palacios.thumb.png.ebe333b01974c8d942a87f01dcb3c828.png

On 02/07/2020 at 12:30, That There Phil said:

It looks like age might finally be caching up with Rodrigo Palacio. Fortunately we only have 2 games to go this season, and he will only be an emergency backup player next year before he retires in June 2022. Hopefully we can still get some mentoring influence from him in his final season.

palacios.thumb.png.ebe333b01974c8d942a87f01dcb3c828.png

I've had him a few times now, I find he's quite hit and miss as a mentor unless he's significantly better than the player(s) he is mentoring. 

19 hours ago, ShaunG95 said:

I've had him a few times now, I find he's quite hit and miss as a mentor unless he's significantly better than the player(s) he is mentoring. 

He's been great for me, and still has significant influence in my mentoring groups.

On 04/07/2020 at 17:34, That There Phil said:

He's been great for me, and still has significant influence in my mentoring groups.

Hmm it's a strange one. He performs really well I find but as a mentor he doesn't seem great for me, don't know why - I've always used smaller mentoring groups too.

On 06/07/2020 at 16:33, ShaunG95 said:

Hmm it's a strange one. He performs really well I find but as a mentor he doesn't seem great for me, don't know why - I've always used smaller mentoring groups too.

There's such a huge random factor involved in mentoring that stuff like that can happen just by chance.

May 2021 & Season Review

Results

results.thumb.png.4dd691a1d7c95bd96318d194603ca087.png

The month began well with two wins and two clean sheets, including two goals in two games for Fedor Chalov. A disappointing 1-1 draw with Aston Villa followed, before a narrow 1-0 loss to Manchester City. We finished the season with something of a whimper, a 92nd minute equaliser salvaging a 1-1 draw against Everton.

Final League Table

table.thumb.png.7ad481cf22fb3e73428e4da51950c617.png

Despite our slightly disappointing end to the season, we secured 4th place and a second consecutive season of Champions League football. We finished one place lower than last season, but it's still a huge over achievement, so I'm not concerned about that. We did finish much closer to the top two this season though, only 5 points off second and 6 points of first.

Other Competitions

competitions.thumb.png.c51cb9bdf3821f42289c2e385d063991.png

We did brilliantly in the Champions League, coming through a tough group before finally succumbing to Manchester City in the quarter finals. We had a disappointing exit from the FA cup in the 3rd round, but we did have a very tough draw against Manchester United. Just like in the Champions League, our good run in the Carabao Cup was ended when we met Manchester City in the semi finals - Pep and his boys are quickly becoming my nemesis!

Team Stats

gc.thumb.png.4784c56458594b60c14f2461aa754e46.png

cs.thumb.png.8611a7247d076c7a6b3b4f24b0cf3fd5.png

gs.thumb.png.542188504bbf05464cd9cda8762530d3.png

We put in some brilliant defensive performances this season, conceding the fewest goals in the league and keeping the most clean sheets. I think that was at least partially influenced by the fact that lots of sides have been much more defensive against us this year, and that also contributed to a slightly disappointing 7th place in terms of goals scored. Hopefully we can improve this as we gradually increase the quality of our squad.

Player Stats

ts.thumb.png.56c413e08b40df0d5df48ebf7250004b.png

dc.thumb.png.97e26e87e9801b3041b06bd94ed1f0b9.png

dpg.thumb.png.1a780bbbb6a1e48512bad5a1379c5ec8.png

Fedor Chalov scored fewer goals than last season - a combination of fewer appearances due to Champions League commitments, and teams being more defensive against us. He did still finish 2nd in the scoring charts though behind Harry Kane who was helped by 10 goals from penalties! Our two left wingbacks occupied the top 2 places in terms of distance covered per 90, and Luca Netz was in 4th place in dribbles per game, showing what a key position the left wingback role is for us.

Mentoring

Another month with no mentoring success, but the avalanche of squad's general character increases continued:

SGC1.thumb.png.293c3ff3e56fdca958c98c9d6c309656.png

fila.thumb.png.43ac6951d1aa4b89b2834e7864f1005c.pngbellingham.thumb.png.e7bec47d90adc88f2fa1159e421df7e6.png

Karol Fila gained a point of determination whilst maintaining his model citizen personality, and Jude Bellingham also gained a point of determination and became our 13th model citizen - an increase of four from the same time last season.

mc.thumb.png.b37ec4646621773f9cc4b7c2ad0819d2.png

Close Season Priorities

I'm pretty happy with where the first team squad is, right now. There is still some improvement in personalities which needs to happen, but my main focus now will start to shift towards stage 2 of the plan outlined in the opening post. Looking for a team of younger players for the future who can be developed and brought into the first team as and when needed.

Transfer Window Summer 2021

Outs

I was generally pretty happy with my squad, but I had to make the tough decision to move Sander Berge on due to his personality stubbornly refusing to move. He'd been tutored constantly for two full seasons and hadn't made a single gain, so despite being a consistent performer for us he had to go. RB Leipzig came in with an offer of £40 million and he left with my blessing.

Berge.thumb.png.a3abe3779c264ff8158d32e50469af32.png

Ins

I'm focusing almost entirely on the future with my transfers in now, and several new young faces arrived at the club.

Chavez.thumb.png.b59a9c9a6d696a5ca27f921f573b0529.png

First up is Gastón Chávez who you may remember I agreed a deal for last summer. He's a little rough around the edges, but he'll go straight into the first team squad as our backup deep lying forward, replacing Rodrigo Palacio, who at 39 is very much an emergency backup in his last season before retirement.

Benes.thumb.png.66a79ab10251c3b099bcf939d2fe7b5e.png

Next up is 16 year old Czech striker Petr Benes. Dirt cheap at £950k, he's a very low risk signing. He has an awful lot of developing to do in order to get anywhere near the first team, but he represents a guaranteed profit if he doesn't make the grade here.

Roy.thumb.png.4f5698bae12bb4699a9063c41875ed24.png

Nicolas Roy is a young french prospect who joins us from Lyon in a £6 million deal. I'll look to develop him as a Mez(a) to play on the right side of our midfield three. There's plenty of work to do on his mental and technical attributes, but he has bags of potential so I'm confident he can make the grade with a bit of luck.

Wylie.thumb.png.923dba107ac0e38e78f72f2270c87e1f.png

Our penultimate signing is Craig Wylie, signed from Hamilton for a bargain £500k. He doesn't seem to have quite the same potential as the previous 3 signings, but could still be a very useful player in the future. At such a low price this was a no brainer of a signing.

mendes.thumb.png.bfd4a2ee18997b1cd797d949f4bd4483.png

I've saved the best until last, and I managed to get my hands on David Mendes after a couple of months of stalking him. I had to pay through the nose at £22.5 million, although he didn't demand too much in terms of his contract. He's ready made to drop right into our first team, and already has determination 17 and a model citizen personality. Along with his 2 footedness he really is a dream of a signing, and if he develops well he could be challenging Fedor Chalov for the main goalscorer job sooner rather than later.

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/07/2020 at 09:33, ScoreMore (Mico) said:

Great thread you have going on here! Sorry if you have already mentioned (I can´t remember it), but do you use mentoring in the reserve or youth squads?

I don't at the moment because I binned all of my U18 and U23 players in the first couple of seasons. I'm just starting to fill the squads up again now, but the hierarchy in reserve and U18 teams seems to be very erratic, so it's hard to settle on the right players as mentors. The long term plan is to rotate players from the U18s into the first team squad to be mentored for shortish periods at a time, but it remains to be seen whether it works or not in the longer term.

On 24/07/2020 at 18:23, That There Phil said:

I don't at the moment because I binned all of my U18 and U23 players in the first couple of seasons. I'm just starting to fill the squads up again now, but the hierarchy in reserve and U18 teams seems to be very erratic, so it's hard to settle on the right players as mentors. The long term plan is to rotate players from the U18s into the first team squad to be mentored for shortish periods at a time, but it remains to be seen whether it works or not in the longer term.

Thanks. I have only just started trying this, but haven´t managed better than "light" so far.

On 26/07/2020 at 08:12, Zemahh said:

Can you explain how you got these values? I assume they're based on your squad?

They are based on hidden values (found on the internet / editor article). Some personalities have guaranteed figures (e.g. 15-20 on ambition) I started calculating that way, a kind of odds calculation.

This is a brilliant thread! Unbelievable first season with such a big turnover!

I have just started a Blades game too - my aim is to create the meanest team ever to grace the Premier League - which means signing the most aggressive and physically intimidating players and kicking lumps out of everyone else all along the way. 

Will definitely be following this thread closely for personality tips 😉

Preseason 2021/22

Squad

Not much change here, other than a couple of our newly signed youngsters being part of the first team squad. With Berge leaving, Jorrit Hendrix will rotate with Melegoni in the DLP role, while Riccardi will move to the left side of the midfield three and Bellingham will move from a substitute role to challenge Zaracho for the Mez(a) role on the right of the three.

squad.thumb.png.3e7dafdf50f3841383a0bc1c382c525d.png

Tactics

I felt like I'd drifted away from my initial tactical identity a little bit, so some more tweaking towards the latter end of last season sees us start the new campaign with the following 3 tactics. I've also started dropping the DLP into the DM slot against opponents who play a 4231, otherwise my back three can be exposed versus the opposition front 4.

tac.thumb.png.0d88ce46e0e66b40baaaa9d161d27aea.pngatt.thumb.png.cf22a146795af2ffacf4ddf597a20604.pngdef.thumb.png.1deb3bf2bae18e79a6a93414d8bb37d3.png

Mentoring

We still only have 4 mentoring groups at the moment, but several of our players are now approaching 24 when they will start to mentor others, meaning we will be able to increase the number of players being mentored, including starting to bring youngsters into the first team squad to be mentored.

ment.thumb.png.b4f7670ed42eb78690db41f5a2c63a45.png

Preseason Results

results.thumb.png.fb440f1f2d51c0a61d1dcbac4b2695aa.png

We had our usual preseason schedule. A quick whistle stop international tour - to China this season - followed by some games against local minnows to ensure we go into the new season with the highest morale possible.

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Would be great to know if you stopped here or continued as it’s felt like this save is starting to really come together (especially as you buy David Mendes!). If possible, a yearly update would also definitely be read :thup:

• 4 weeks later...

I was loving this.   Despite playing FM for 20 years, I was far too late to the personality bandwagon.  But I went Perso-crazy during FM17.   My favourite save was a network game with my friend, in a European Super League.  I managed to get Partizan to be 5 time champions due to abusing making the most the tutoring system.

FM20 however, has been very different.  I've struggled to try and bring those same tutoring philosophies over.  Signing mentors hasn't given me much joy (looks like General Squad Personality might be the most important factor?).   But reading this has given me lots of food for thought.

Although sadly it seemed to die just as it was getting to the next stage :(

Either way, thank you.  It was a great read and very educational.  Thanks @That There Phil :applause:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 30/07/2021 at 09:50, smeagoltonez said:

Agreed, a great read @That There Phil. I’d love to know if you’ve had a different experience when using this approach in FM21? It would be great to hear your thoughts even if they’re just casual observations.

The system of how personalities change has changed in FM21, so this approach can't be exploited like this any more. You can still use the same model, but the results are wildly inconsistent and it's almost impossible to reliably mentor new model citizens.

Rather than every single one of the hidden mental stats and determination being affected each time a player responds to mentoring, in FM21 a random selection of them are, and it can be anything from a single attribute to all of them.

To give an example, I did an experiment at the start of FM21 and I had a young player who was a single point of sportsmanship away from being a model citizen, and despite having 4 mentoring successes over 2 and a half seasons, he never gained the point of sportsmanship that he needed. It's just so wildly random now that it's impossible to rely on and/or predict.

I played 5 seasons of that save and mentored a grand total of 4 model citizens, despite having used to editor to find young players that were already close so I could try the system out again.

On 25/08/2021 at 19:34, That There Phil said:

The system of how personalities change has changed in FM21, so this approach can't be exploited like this any more. You can still use the same model, but the results are wildly inconsistent and it's almost impossible to reliably mentor new model citizens.

Rather than every single one of the hidden mental stats and determination being affected each time a player responds to mentoring, in FM21 a random selection of them are, and it can be anything from a single attribute to all of them.

To give an example, I did an experiment at the start of FM21 and I had a young player who was a single point of sportsmanship away from being a model citizen, and despite having 4 mentoring successes over 2 and a half seasons, he never gained the point of sportsmanship that he needed. It's just so wildly random now that it's impossible to rely on and/or predict.

I played 5 seasons of that save and mentored a grand total of 4 model citizens, despite having used to editor to find young players that were already close so I could try the system out again.

I guess that's more realistic. At least we know we'll likely to get some improvement in at least one attribute. Thanks for your update!