Football Manager 2020 January & February Transfer Updates Feedback Thread

3 minutes ago, Welshace said:

I'm fairly sure most if not the majority of people posting in this thread know very well what they say here isn't going to get changed.. this thread was set up as a catchall for people to vent in and hopefully collect some constructive feedback while keeping it all in one neat place rather than all over the forums in seperate threads..

The issue many will have is that even when they do provide valuable and often time consuming feedback within the bug reporting sections etc, it often feels like it falls upon deaf ears, and by often, i mean almost always... it's an issue, and pretending it is not, isn't doing anyone any favours, SI or the users alike. There is a gaping disconnect between the devs and their users given the amount of feedback that the devs rely on for the game to be produced and personally I think it could do with being addressed, it won't be, as it hasn't for about a decade plus now, but it should be.

I've bought every game SI have ever released, I've been on the forums longer than i remember as a user and as a mod in the past, and i can catagorically say that I am a massive fan of every single one that has come out and have played countless hours of each, but there are some glaring and worrying signs that something is slipping in the last few releases and the game doesn't seem to be moving in the right direction anymore... which is a shame, because as i said, the game is my absolute favourite on the whole.

I actually believe the game IS moving in the right direction, on the whole.

My guess is that there is only so much the team can achieve in the timescale they set themselves. The last few years the game has improved considerably outside of the ME. That cycle now feels polished and complete, bar the odd bugs.

Now, hopefully, the ME will get it’s lions share of work for the next couple of years.

Nothing much needs looking at in my opinion outside of the ME. It’s pretty darn slick. And although I honestly don’t see half of the issues raised by many in the ME, through hours of painstaking tactical adjustments, I do now feel, especially after the last patch that the ME is stale. 

The ME needs the love for the next cycle. If it gets it the game will very much be where we all want it to be.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, Welshace said:

I'm fairly sure most if not the majority of people posting in this thread know very well what they say here isn't going to get changed.. this thread was set up as a catchall for people to vent in and hopefully collect some constructive feedback while keeping it all in one neat place rather than all over the forums in seperate threads..

The issue many will have is that even when they do provide valuable and often time consuming feedback within the bug reporting sections etc, it often feels like it falls upon deaf ears, and by often, i mean almost always... it's an issue, and pretending it is not, isn't doing anyone any favours, SI or the users alike. There is a gaping disconnect between the devs and their users given the amount of feedback that the devs rely on for the game to be produced and personally I think it could do with being addressed, it won't be, as it hasn't for about a decade plus now, but it should be.

I've bought every game SI have ever released, I've been on the forums longer than i remember as a user and as a mod in the past, and i can catagorically say that I am a massive fan of every single one that has come out and have played countless hours of each, but there are some glaring and worrying signs that something is slipping in the last few releases and the game doesn't seem to be moving in the right direction anymore... which is a shame, because as i said, the game is my absolute favourite on the whole.

I have put forward in the past the suggestion of SI having a ME working party with the Devs and key FM users / ME experts (SI will know who these are). This could be a good way to go

I like you have bought every version since the Amiga release and for the last few years I dont seem to enjoy the ME like I used to but I do enjoy the way the other elements are evolving (even if I dont use the training module)

2 minutes ago, likesiamesefish said:

I know this thread is dominated by ME chat but just wanted to say that the rest of the game is absolutely brilliant and long term saves are massively improved.

Players feel much more real to me. The interactions are more effective, they develop much more organically than in the past and when I look around the football world in 2061, it looks pretty darn realistic. The work done to reward familiarity and squad consistency is very much appreciated and I feel like Dynamics has really come into it's own this year and when you get it right, you can manage your squad much more easily. 

A huge improvement this year (I think) has been the added dynamism to star ratings where I've seen players gain or lose a star just on form - I much prefer this to the old way of scouting / coach reports where they just remained the same and it wouldn't matter who the scout is. I've actually even had a couple of total flops in the transfer market because my scout got them wrong which was all too rare in years gone by. I've also noticed more players fulfilling their potential in their mid twenties rather than just in the early years of their career.

I actually think that certain aspects of the AI have improved a lot this year as well. This may not be as evident in the early years because reputation is so overpowered IMO but once it's all regens the game is amazing with realistic transfer movement, decent squad management and teams having actual cycles rather than everyone just staying at the same level. I think the AI managers could get better but this is the first year where I've seen managers who were not managing at the start of the game have incredible careers (and I pay attention to this stuff a lot in my saves, FM is all about the little world we create for me).

There are loads of other improvements to the game that I like as well but just wanted to say that the work on these aspects of the game has not gone unnoticed.

Absolutely this! Well said.

54 minutes ago, MrPompey said:

I wouldnt get your hopes up. Based on previous experience its unlikely. Work will be planned for FM21

I'm not hoping, I am more or less certain. There will anyway be one more update after all winter transfer windows close and in the bugs forum developers are frequently saying that they are heavily working on issues reported

Edited by Jimmious7

12 minutes ago, likesiamesefish said:

I know this thread is dominated by ME chat but just wanted to say that the rest of the game is absolutely brilliant and long term saves are massively improved.

Players feel much more real to me. The interactions are more effective, they develop much more organically than in the past and when I look around the football world in 2061, it looks pretty darn realistic. The work done to reward familiarity and squad consistency is very much appreciated and I feel like Dynamics has really come into it's own this year and when you get it right, you can manage your squad much more easily. 

A huge improvement this year (I think) has been the added dynamism to star ratings where I've seen players gain or lose a star just on form - I much prefer this to the old way of scouting / coach reports where they just remained the same and it wouldn't matter who the scout is. I've actually even had a couple of total flops in the transfer market because my scout got them wrong which was all too rare in years gone by. I've also noticed more players fulfilling their potential in their mid twenties rather than just in the early years of their career.

I actually think that certain aspects of the AI have improved a lot this year as well. This may not be as evident in the early years because reputation is so overpowered IMO but once it's all regens the game is amazing with realistic transfer movement, decent squad management and teams having actual cycles rather than everyone just staying at the same level. I think the AI managers could get better but this is the first year where I've seen managers who were not managing at the start of the game have incredible careers (and I pay attention to this stuff a lot in my saves, FM is all about the little world we create for me).

There are loads of other improvements to the game that I like as well but just wanted to say that the work on these aspects of the game has not gone unnoticed.

Agreed, now we just need a really high quality ME to go with it. 

1 hour ago, Jimmious7 said:

I am 100% certain there will be another major version with various ME changes/improvements since a lot of things were and are reported as being worked on but were not changed in the latest patch

If there is, great. If there is not, then I'm also okay with it. It is not usual to get a match engine update after the winter update. Then again it is not usual to get a winter update without some ME updates. So right now we do not know, and I will not speculate.

I'm totally okay with SI spending time working on this with the aim of making a good ME in FM21. Rather overhaul the code (or whatever they must do) and get it done right than keep releasing not quite perfect patches.

34 minutes ago, likesiamesefish said:

Great post but i'd slightly change some things/come up with potential issues. Star ratings usually do go up and down BUT in relation to your ranking stature and your own team. In past FM's going back to 15 I think it could go up or down but rarely in the way we see it in FM 20. FM20 as you said defines it in form, and although it is a good thing (I guess) it can cause issues:

One being if they go up and then the form drops (lets say for a long period of time) e.g. going from constant 7.5+ and then hits the lower end after an increase in star rating, that eventual fall maybe where the specified gametime may need to be lowered, lets say moving back to regular starter and he was important (or whatever the equivalent is). It's likely your player will moan that you did that unless it was a bad form and justified a radical change for the player to accept it. Same applies if his form goes down from the standard it was set at, I think the gametime/player status for game time is too volatile which could effect stuff like contract agreements. Example, player becomes worldclass in star rating, contract is important player/equivalent too (cant remember it atm), he wants a new contract, you agree to it and then his form drops off lets say around the 6-7.5 area where his rating has gone down a full star 4 to 3*. He technically isn't worldclass anymore and you can't give him the playing time because he isnt performing but you have to otherwise he kicks up a fuss... etc. 

If they do release another patch for the ME can I request it brings some life back into it?

Of course it had lots of issues, but the best for me this year, after lots of tactical tweaking, was the first on official release.

At least it was exciting.

Obviously just my opinion. Don’t start shooting me.

4 minutes ago, BigV said:

Great post but i'd slightly change some things/come up with potential issues. Star ratings usually do go up and down BUT in relation to your ranking stature and your own team. In past FM's going back to 15 I think it could go up or down but rarely in the way we see it in FM 20. FM20 as you said defines it in form, and although it is a good thing (I guess) it can cause issues:

One being if they go up and then the form drops (lets say for a long period of time) e.g. going from constant 7.5+ and then hits the lower end after an increase in star rating, that eventual fall maybe where the specified gametime may need to be lowered, lets say moving back to regular starter and he was important (or whatever the equivalent is). It's likely your player will moan that you did that unless it was a bad form and justified a radical change for the player to accept it. Same applies if his form goes down from the standard it was set at, I think the gametime/player status for game time is too volatile which could effect stuff like contract agreements. Example, player becomes worldclass in star rating, contract is important player/equivalent too (cant remember it atm), he wants a new contract, you agree to it and then his form drops off lets say around the 6-7.5 area where his rating has gone down a full star 4 to 3*. He technically isn't worldclass anymore and you can't give him the playing time because he isnt performing but you have to otherwise he kicks up a fuss... etc. 

That’s all part of the beauty though isn’t it? Adding in those random factors requires management.

3 minutes ago, BigV said:

This is very true and I can understand your frustration with it BUT I have to say that I find this to be more realistic and I'll explain why. We all know modern football is dominated by flavour of the weeks and how you played last Saturday. We see transfers happening in real life and then the player is a total flop, hyped beyond belief off the back of a good run of form. I have seen it myself where players have much higher demands after a star rating jump (which I am sure is temporary) but I simply don't offer them what they are not worth and you are then rewarded for keeping your players tied down more than you were previously. This has also created the situation where I have overpaid players because I thought the form would remain and it didn't (normally younger players who I am making a decision on around 22 / 23 about their first proper first team contract). In addition to that, I've also sold players to the AI off the back of a rep or star rating boost that I knew wouldn't be sustained - a good example being my back up GK who was HG but over thirty and had never really attracted any interest but then he managed to win Goalkeeper of the Tournament at the WC and I sold him to Chelsea for £50m. So it can work for you or against you and means you have to weigh up more variables before coming to a decision. Also, just as a tip specifically on the agreed playing time, have you tried reducing this incrementally because I have had much greater success going one at a time every couple of months than trying to get them to jump down two or more.

Just finished the season with the latest patch. My feedback as below;

1. Game runs smoother. I have gained about 6 to 9 FPS. I did not make any changes on my pc or the in game settings.

2.  ME is better than the previous one, but could be better. I have tried 4312 narrow and 4231 wide; seen more central play and variety of goals compared to the previous patch.

3. I have scored a lot of goals from corners by putting my best aerial threat near the far post. My corner taker had 13 corners and 13 crossing, always delivered to the right spot. Then, I have decided to put someone else to take the corners. Increased one of my player's corners rating to 20 via in game editor, result is the same. Always the same curve and ball meets the right spot. I'm planning to use someone with much lower corners rating to take the corner kicks and see what happens. To me, it seems like corners or crossing stats do not matter. It just works.

Edited by glosoli
typo.

7 hours ago, madcullyor said:

So after giving FM20 a fair amount of time and after numerous patches I have come to the decision that it is tainted - for me anyway.

Aesthetically it looks great and the idea's that SI had for the game seemed good in theory, however, when it comes to actual game play particularly the match engine, its disappointing for many reasons that have already been covered in this thread and no matter how determined I am at starting a new save and making it work, it always comes down to me just falling out of love with it. It's just repetitive now and the best thing I can do is just park it off and wait for next years game.

As for FM21 and what I would like to see is a remastered match engine. No new scouting area, no new youth set up or new leagues to play in. The only thing that needs to be worked on is the actual football side of things. Do that and you will have the best FM in the series. 

As for FM20, what can I say, it was a wonderkid with 5 star potential but with the determination rating of 3.

True, ME is the most important thing for FM21, i hope they get that

I've just played the national cup quarter with only 6  ( + 2 orange injured) players available in all team (second and U19 included). So I've 5 grey players on the pitch.

(I've lost 6-1) 

(36 players with national team and the others u19 played a game earlier that day). 

49 minutes ago, FlorianAlbert9 said:

I've just played the national cup quarter with only 6  ( + 2 orange injured) players available in all team (second and U19 included). So I've 5 grey players on the pitch.

(I've lost 6-1) 

(36 players with national team and the others u19 played a game earlier that day). 

Congratulations...

I hope season fixtures at least proper in this version outside ME. This should be another most important thing. All said about 2021 version about central play I hope for a more balanced goals and influence of AMC play in next version. Life is short.

Is this a new feature? I've never had one of my coaches as an option to resolve these player interactions for me before. Could it make a difference that he was my U18 and then U23 manager for a while and is therefore listed as a club icon? The player in question is an academy graduate who played for him at U23 level for a number of years and has him, myself and my U18 manager as his top three in his favoured personnel.

527206624_Screenshot2020-02-25at22_04_37.thumb.png.bed9acf78e28ee3e61904eec68de107f.png

2 hours ago, jc1 said:

I am officially bored to death with this game now, I have little desire to fire it up and play for hours on end like I used to do. It takes at least an hour to set up a new game and when you do get into game time, the ME is just so boring and predictable. Overpowering wing and wingbacks, most goals coming from set pieces, small quick wingers scoring multiple headed goals from wingback crosses, very little centre midfield play( 2-3 passes then out to either winger or wingback to cross in ), forwards with little to no movement and very few through balls into them and one on ones still pretty poor.

Don't get me wrong I can win games OK, doing well in the league and cups is not a problem, it's just watching back games is so boring and scripted that I can almost always tell  you how every goal I score will come about, I see little variation in game play, the ME has been poor and like this for the past 3 years. SI seem intent on changing all the glitzy interaction stuff and they've forgotten about the ME and the graphics that go with it, time to spend some time on developing this instead of all the wee extras that we don't need.

Yeah think you are right … I think 99% of us are happy with the interface and the game its self . We just want the end result to count as it should . 

17 hours ago, 99 said:

I think people that know me from here also know I'm one of the guys that take the SI side against the usual, not always fair, criticism.

If there's something I hate (sorry) is the people that start countless threads saying "hey I play since forever and FM20 is the worst eveeeeer", which is no different from people thar heavily criticized FM19, 18, 17 and backwards using the exact same "formula". I just don't buy it.

But using that "capital", I have to ask SI to try to do better testing. I swear I don't get how it was undetectable for SI, in this Winter Update, that disabling first window transfers was broken and all the dropdown menus (like training, staff search...) were also broken. I just don't buy that not a single soul detected it in testing. And even if it was the case, then please release it first using the public_beta option, that many players like myself have enabled by default, and we would detect it in the first hour.

As I think that many types of criticism are unfair to SI, with Winter Update it feels even to me that something was lacking. My feedback is only intended to help, I don't earn anything to just say bad stuff. Thank you.

I have posted in the bugs forum about an issue with U18 squads.  I enjoy playing in the Lower Leagues and, in the Vanarama North, have found three sides (Leamington, Southport and Bradford Park Avenue) which have no U18 setup whatsoever, although they did prior to the patch, which really makes trying saves with these clubs a bit of a waste of time.  For all I know, the same issue may apply elsewhere, as obviously I haven't been able to check throughout all the leagues to find any other examples.

What does surprise me is that this wasn't spotted before the patch came out.  Which makes one wonder about the testing process!

7 hours ago, jc1 said:

I am officially bored to death with this game now, I have little desire to fire it up and play for hours on end like I used to do. It takes at least an hour to set up a new game and when you do get into game time, the ME is just so boring and predictable. Overpowering wing and wingbacks, most goals coming from set pieces, small quick wingers scoring multiple headed goals from wingback crosses, very little centre midfield play( 2-3 passes then out to either winger or wingback to cross in ), forwards with little to no movement and very few through balls into them and one on ones still pretty poor.

Don't get me wrong I can win games OK, doing well in the league and cups is not a problem, it's just watching back games is so boring and scripted that I can almost always tell  you how every goal I score will come about, I see little variation in game play, the ME has been poor and like this for the past 3 years. SI seem intent on changing all the glitzy interaction stuff and they've forgotten about the ME and the graphics that go with it, time to spend some time on developing this instead of all the wee extras that we don't need.

They have a dedicated team for the ME. It’s not something they can just chuck money at or have more people working on it in order to improve it. They have to constantly test the engine to make sure it’s in balance. One change can offset the whole engine and create new problems.

There is no quick fix to this I’m afraid.

Edited by Luizinho

53 minutes ago, Luizinho said:

They have a dedicated team for the ME. It’s not something they can just chuck money at or have more people working on it in order to improve it. They have to constantly test the engine to make sure it’s in balance. One change can offset the whole engine and create new problems.

There is no quick fix to this I’m afraid.

The ME has been pish for the last 3 years, too much time going into interface stuff while the ME gets worse. 

vor einer Stunde schrieb Anthony potts:

Since new update I have had a ridiculous amount of injuries. In about 2 months of game time I have had 13 players get injuries lasting more than 2 weeks, some games I get 3 or 4 injuries. A huge change from prior to the update.

There was no change regarding to injuries. 

6 minutes ago, Caletti said:

@KUBI

Can we expect patch wchich improve ME? This ME is boring. 3 headers from wingers is weird. It doesn't metter if I play narrow or wide, in 90% of cases it's ends the same. Pass on the wing and cross.

If you read almost any page ever on this thread or almost any other thread, you will see that no-one knows what the upcoming update will include.. and no-one can tell you any different.

Wanted to check here first before raising it as an issue... 

But while doing some testing using the in game editor i made a few transfers and noticed they gave me the steam achievements along with them, namely transfer records etc...

Is this meant to the case? always thought using custom databases or editors meant achievements weren't activated?

3 hours ago, craigcwwe said:

Found a bug. 

When you move a player from your youth team to the first team it changes your squad view if you have a custom view set up. 

Report it as a bug then, this is a feedback thread...

I've managed to get Peters to stop rejecting offers, but removing the players from the Unwanted List, but I don't know why Peters is getting involved when I've got Sammer to manage the Unwanted List.

Edited by stevemc