Have you ever regretted not taking a job?

Currently in my third season as Sheffield Wednesday. Not doing well, no money, players are average and generally we aren't going anywhere and consistently finished mid table.

Leicester City then sacked their manager and offered me the job. They are in the Championship, should easily win the league and managed to keep all their players. £90 million available for transfer funds and paying over £1.1 million in player wages...... I said no as I was thinking about my beloved Owls and how they would go down without me...... three weeks later I got sacked :-D I really regret not taking that job!

Cool post and great question.

I regret not taking the Westham job in season 4 on my international management save. 

After 3.5yrs in club management I was given a chance as a national team manager. I took it, but kept looking back at my beloved Irons.

Westham were in deep relegation and they needed help. They offered me the job to keep them up.

I declined in order to focus on the next step of my career which I always love and that is national team management.

They were relegated and I always regret that I did not help.

That's the curse of Wednesday right there mate. On a previous game I got sacked by Weds after finishing 11th in the PL, one point off 10th vs my start of season expectation of top half (we got promoted the season before last). Still rankles me even now!

On my current FM19 game, I was in a PL relegation dogfight with my newly promoted Bristol City side but still getting regular job offers from other bigger budget PL clubs. Best offer I got was from West Ham, who on a squad basis should've been at least midtable but around 15th and in the mire. Turned it down to see out the season with the Robins, expecting that even if we went down I'd get another crack at promotion. In the end we went into the final day needing to win about 10-0 and rely on results elsewhere to stay up. When the inevitable happened, guess what? I got the heave ho and they replaced me with a guy from league one who got to spend all the millions I never had!

Do I regret turning it down? No as six months after I decided on a change of scenery and took the Vfb Stuttgart job. Currently Bristol City sacked my replacement and his replacement got them up via the play offs. I on the other hand am looking forward to my maiden season in the CL next year and loving my German adventure, so no regrets at turning down Gold & Sullivan & Brady!

Edited by IbrahimAliMaher

Yep, in FM19, was playing as Fiorentina, was doing ok and pushing for european football (i didnt make it in the end), got offered a job from Las Palmas who were sitting in the spanish second division. They got promoted the next year and qualified for european football in their first season up, meanwhile i missed out and finished 16th and was sacked.

Typically I start at a very low club and work my way up. I tend to take job offers as they come until I'm offered the Liverpool job. Sometimes it takes 3 seasons, sometimes it takes 10, sometimes it takes 20! 

The only regrets I do have if I get through so many seasons and never offered the job. 

I think I have regrets taking a job instead of not taking it. 

On a Journeyman save in FM 18 I had a wonderful time in the Irish Premier League. Finally won the league with St. Patricks after a few attempts and made them some money along the way. I thought it was time to move on as I had interest from all over Europe and I accepted a job from Girona in the Segunda. It was a relegation battle, but I fancied my chances. I decided to force on them the tactic I used in Ireland and it backfired massively. Nothing worked and morale was so low, the team had no hope. I ended up resigning before I got sacked to save a bit of rep. 

Then a few seasons later I made the same mistake that pretty much killed the save. I was at Gothenburg in Sweden and had a lovely time. They were a mid-table team when I arrived and I quickly turned them into the best team in the country by a mile. Again, I started to think about leaving as the league was not a challenge anymore. But I loved that team and the players that I made big. 90% of them were EPL rejects who I got on a free and developed. It was so much fun... and I ended it by going to Pescara in Serie B. I don't know why, I guess the pressure of being a journeyman save played on my mind, but for the second time I changed clubs when maybe I should have stayed a bit longer. The Pescara thing basically ended the save, as I just couldnt get into that team even though I live currently very near Pescara. Oh, well...maybe one day I'll resume and finish that save as I remember it so vividly. 

So yeah, no regrets of not taking a job , but quite a few about taking one.  

I get too attached to the teams I start a save with and want to put my own stamp on the team which sometimes takes a few seasons. If I get a job offer from somewhere else I always turn it down or reject it. However the lowest ive ever done a save is Sunderland in League 1, im sure it would be different if I did a lower league save and work my way up the leagues.

On 26/08/2020 at 15:22, NEO-BAHAMUT- said:

@IbrahimAliMaher thats a great story there!

Cheers. I just got offered the RB Leipzig job - for reference they're only team to break Bayern's dominance in the league in the last decade on my game. They won the title the season before but tanked the following season and finished 6th, two places below me.

I've been offered £115m transfer budget vs the ~£20m budget I have for my CL Stuttgart right now, their squad is probably better too. Think I'm going to turn it down so back here soon no doubt! :lol:

21 hours ago, TheWednesday said:

I always end up regretting turning down the Wednesday job as they very rarely go anywhere with the usual names they turn to, I can't bring myself to manage them though as I'm no better. :D

Interesting job you have there atm...

I was annoyed not to be offered the Weds job a few seasons back. They'd just been relegated to league one, I was overachieving with Crawley in league one the season before. Weds had Claude Puel as manager and sacked him a few games into the season after a woeful start, which included yours truly winning 3-0 at Hillsborough. Did they go for the up and coming prospect who was in the top three of the division who was a Weds fan? Nope, apparently unproven West Ham youth coach Jack Collison had a better rep than me and got the job. Predictably that went well...

Edited by IbrahimAliMaher