[DISCUSSION] International Management

seabas3

International Management is an area of FM where lots of improvements can be made, I've always done at least one international save per year and rather than it being enjoyable it seems very passive and uninteresting. There are several reasons for this which need addressing:

• You cannot train the players when away on international duty.
  • The whole FA structure is under your control; hiring and firing staff - while this can be nice at your club, it really doesn't make sense when it's outside the First Team on the international level. No I don't want to take over the U23's squad for the Olympics and no I don't want to bother setting up U18's staff for my country.
  • First Team selections should come first before youth squad selections. If one player from the youth squads is selected and you want them in your first team squad - your veto the selection and he's brought into the First Team.
  • Timing to meet squad seems too limited. I understand international management is run on a very tight and strict schedule - however more could be done with the international squad and managing that time. It just seems too rushed.
  • More communication is needed with star players of a nation. We know that first team managers constantly talk with players in and around the squad - or other players may enquire into potentially breaking into the squad. The only time this comes up is during an injury or after you select the squad. Media and player enquiries should be way more frequent.
  • Media and Mail are great but more could be done to hype up international tournaments. I feel that there is not a lot done when talking about big international fixtures and reactions from that - especially during major tournaments. During the World Cup or other International tournaments - mainly the Copa America and Euro's - majority of the world stops and watches the matches with media going into a frenzy. It's hardly anything in FM.
  • International Management takes place over months between matches - understandable where at times it can be a bit frustrating. In the meantime it is possible to view matches or keep an eye on players via emails. However more can definitely be done - especially with scouts who should keep track of player stats, minutes and places within formations where they are used. I find that this only ever comes up during selection and it's not detailed enough. 
  • On the topic of viewing games, an email comes up afterwards where it says you were in attendance and they list a player or players whom you may have been keeping an eye on. Speculation is non-existent afterwards and especially with the communication comment above - news and social media articles should be more prevalent as the world speculates whom you are looking at. Especially after a really good or poor performance.
  • Nowhere near as many interviews. As the manager of an international team, you are constantly in the limelight with a whole nation constantly wondering what you are doing and whom you are going to pick. I understand your traditional press conferences before and after matches or tournaments - but definitely more interviews are done and should be spaced out throughout the year.

These are just a few options I've suggested which can help the international management side of the game. If you have anymore please comment below.

• 5 months later...