[FM21] Teams to manage

steevo55

Looking for some help with picking a long term save... My last one was Lyon in FM19 who I managed through to 42/43 season.

I like 'smaller' teams in the big leagues who have a lot of potential to become the best. Generally stable finances, good youth set up, maybe a good prospect or two? I've thought of some ideas below but can't really decide

England: Aston Villa, Everton, Leicester

France: Lyon, Rennes

Germany: Leverkusen, RBL

Italy: Atalanta, AC Milan, Roma

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Aizo4576 said:

Looking for some help with picking a long term save... My last one was Lyon in FM19 who I managed through to 42/43 season.

I like 'smaller' teams in the big leagues who have a lot of potential to become the best. Generally stable finances, good youth set up, maybe a good prospect or two? I've thought of some ideas below but can't really decide

England: Aston Villa, Everton, Leicester

France: Lyon, Rennes

Germany: Leverkusen, RBL

Italy: Atalanta, AC Milan, Roma

I would go with Villa or Rennes for the biggest challenges :)

20 minutes ago, RHKC said:

I would go with Villa or Rennes for the biggest challenges :)

I agree they'd be the biggest challenge, but for me it's not necessarily about how hard it is. Lyon in FM19 is the best save I've ever had, and would probably still play if not for the temptation of FM21s features

9 minutes ago, Aizo4576 said:

I agree they'd be the biggest challenge, but for me it's not necessarily about how hard it is. Lyon in FM19 is the best save I've ever had, and would probably still play if not for the temptation of FM21s features

In that case, I'd go for Milan and try to dominate Italy again.

30 minutes ago, n1mez said:

I have one argument that will win it all. 

Zlatan

Zlatan looks great and I've never really used a slow striker like him...

I'll have to think about it! Milan's finances are scary, but Leicester's stadium is small

45 minutes ago, Aizo4576 said:

Zlatan looks great and I've never really used a slow striker like him...

I'll have to think about it! Milan's finances are scary, but Leicester's stadium is small

With Milan you have loads of players you can sell after a good season! Its gonna be fine :P 

I think it'll take me a while to decide really... I can't stick to anything. My main thing is that I want a team with a lot of potential as a club, eg room to grow, good prospects/academy

I've realised Rennes have Doku too, which tempts me even further

il y a 5 minutes, Aizo4576 a dit :

I think it'll take me a while to decide really... I can't stick to anything. My main thing is that I want a team with a lot of potential as a club, eg room to grow, good prospects/academy

I've realised Rennes have Doku too, which tempts me even further

Valencia has an absurd amount of good potential youngsters, and not a lot of money.

Fran Perez, Munoz, Lee, Musah, Guillamon, Fran Garcia, Jesus Vasquez, Koba Lein and some more...

25 minutes ago, evilpimp972 said:

Valencia has an absurd amount of good potential youngsters, and not a lot of money.

Fran Perez, Munoz, Lee, Musah, Guillamon, Fran Garcia, Jesus Vasquez, Koba Lein and some more...

They do have a lot of youth, but I'm a little hesitant of clubs with very poor finances overall, which I think they do?

I imagine I'll have to go away and think for a while as I'm way too indecisive

Hamburg

2 seasons in the 2.Bundesliga having spent their entire existence in the top league since the Bundesliga's creation. 2nd biggest city in Germany. They're long removed from their glory days of the late 70s, early 80s.

Plenty of scope here for a rebuild of a team which should be bigger. And all in your own image.

Edited by wearesporting

I am trying to decide on my long term save for this year. Main challenge is to stay with the club for 20 years and achieve 10 manager of year awards. So far the shortlist is:

-Queens Park in Scotland League 2

-Palermo/Monopoli/Bari in Italy Serie C

-1860 Munchen in Germany Liga 3

-Le Mans or Red Star in France Nacional

-Dulwich Hamlet in England Van South 

Any thoughts?

28 minutes ago, Bayern Bru said:

I am trying to decide on my long term save for this year. Main challenge is to stay with the club for 20 years and achieve 10 manager of year awards. So far the shortlist is:

Any thoughts?

Has to be Queens Park now that they've went Pro.

As a chronic new game starter, here are my two cents:

Bologna - A fair few good youngsters to develop (Svanberg, Dominguez, Olsen, Corbo, Barrow, Jurawa, Binks, Tomiyashu). A little bit of money to spend.

Real Sporting Gijon - In Spanish Segunda Liga, a good crop of Spanish youngsters in the first team and development squad. 30,000 seater stadium.

NEC Nijmengen - Dutch Ereste Division, again an absolute army of good young players you can comfortably play straight away. Unusual kits & colours too if that is your thing. 

Edited by ChrisCo

Started off in the Colombian 2nd Division with Union Magdalena. The birthplace of El Pibe. I'm doing a career save as my main save and wanna manage Athletico Nacional, Boca Juniors and then maybe someone in Spain and ultimately Barca for a homegrown challenge. Going well in my first season, already promoted to the top league. 

17 hours ago, Bayern Bru said:

Any thoughts?

Had a really fun save with Palermo in FM19, think it's time for me to bring them back this year once I'm "finished" with my obligatory LFC save.

19 hours ago, Bayern Bru said:

Any thoughts?

For what it’s worth I completed 6 seasons as 1860 on the Beta. Really enjoyed it. 2 seasons in 3.Liga, 3 seasons in 2.Bundesliga and 1 season in Bundesliga. Club built me a new stadium in time for the 6th season (although was only an upgrade from 15k-20k) and I had a really strong academy. 

highly recommend them. 

On 25/11/2020 at 19:29, wearesporting said:

Hamburg

2 seasons in the 2.Bundesliga having spent their entire existence in the top league since the Bundesliga's creation. 2nd biggest city in Germany. They're long removed from their glory days of the late 70s, early 80s.

Plenty of scope here for a rebuild of a team which should be bigger. And all in your own image.

i just got sacked from Hamburg. expected to finish first but struggling in the relegation zone. don't know what went wrong. will give it a shot again in future.

4 hours ago, FMunderachiever said:

Im struggling for inspiration for a save.

Was thinking Zorya Luhansk or Vitoria Guimaraes

Any thoughts on this?

Ukrainian league is so poor and with a such big winter break you always have problems in the february european matches. I would go for Portugal, breaking the big 3 isnt an easy challenge.

Struggling to really settle with a team this year, any suggestions?

Ideally i'd like a team in the 2nd division of one of the top 5/6 leagues (not England though). Few good youth players and without much history behind them in terms of top division wins.

Had a good save on FM20 with AS Nancy but don't really want to go over old ground again.

Any ideas?

3 hours ago, AnfieldRoad10 said:

Ideally i'd like a team in the 2nd division of one of the top 5/6 leagues (not England though). Few good youth players and without much history behind them in terms of top division wins.

Had a good save on FM20 with AS Nancy but don't really want to go over old ground again.

Any ideas?

Spain: Real Zaragoza, Sporting Gijon, Las Palmas, Tenerife
Italy: Pescara, Cremonese, Venezia, Vicenza
Germany: St. Pauli, Heidenheim, Paderborn, Jahn Regensburg
France: Caen, Le Havre, Châteauroux, Toulouse
Other: Varzim (Portugal), Torpedo Moscow (Russia), MVV (Netherlands), Lommel (Belgium)

I'm currently need help, thinking (and having hard time to decide) about who should i play for my main save

Is it breaking the top teams? Like Milan in italy, Rennes in france, Braga in Portugal

Or A dark horse club in a dark horse league? Like Nordsjaelland in Denmark, PSV in Netherlands, Genk in Belgium

Or a good/best team in an obscure league? Like BATE in Belarus, Zilina in Slovakia, Lechia Gdansk in Poland

Plus points if the club just having managerial changes right before 2020/21 season

On 08/12/2020 at 17:38, AnfieldRoad10 said:

Any ideas?

What about Brescia in Serie B? They have Andrea Papetti who you should try to sign on a professional contract immediately, in addition to Tonali who's on loan on Milan (they did not sign him permanently on my Liverpool save, so you might get lucky here). Never won Serie A.

On 08/12/2020 at 16:38, AnfieldRoad10 said:

Any ideas?

Few suggestions that might be worth looking at in my opinion:

Girona, Las Palmas, Hearts, Partick Thistle, Brescia, Lecce, Bastia, OH Leuven,

In FM Touch (waiting for editor files in FM21), I simmed to June 2021, and I've looked at cities/towns for the available clubs to apply for. 1860 Munich were the first to offer me, I clicked delay, and decided whoever else offers me in the week gets considered too. 

So it's down to 2. 

Bari or 1860 Munich. 

Thoughts/opinions? Will be continuing later.

Hi guys,

I'd like to ask you advice about what team manage.

- premier League team

- no city and no Liverpool because too much stronger team.

- good youngsters to develop

- possibly an owner which gives good budget

I was thinking about Chelsea, but It will be too Easy? What about arsenal or Spurs?

Thanks

3 hours ago, Ivan787 said:

Hi guys,

I'd like to ask you advice about what team manage.

- premier League team

- no city and no Liverpool because too much stronger team.

- good youngsters to develop

- possibly an owner which gives good budget

I was thinking about Chelsea, but It will be too Easy? What about arsenal or Spurs?

Thanks

Id go with Leicester City.

Youve got european competition and youll probably have decent money to spend.

As for developing youngsters you have Harvey Barnes, Luke Thomas, Wesley Fofana and slightly older, Cengiz Under, Caglar Soyuncu who you can develop.

Plus youve got Vardy whos lethal but youll need to replace him very soon.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys, I'm here a to ask you an obvious question. Which team should I manage??Something about fm 21 that I'm not connecting with any saves. Last fm I did 15+ season with Eschen/Mauren and the national side as a club and country save. I normally go with lower league saves but this time I want a club where I can spend a little bit of money. The counties I'm thinking of are Croatia, Spain, Cyprus, Holland and Portugal. Any club reccomendation would be very grateful. Thanks in advance. 

Would be open to other counties too! 

On 08/12/2020 at 21:01, BadAss88 said:

Other:  Lommel (Belgium)

Thank you BadAss88 for the Lommel suggestion. just finished my first season with them and loved every minute. the club is in a financial mess but having man city as a parent club makes it an exciting save. hoping that pep sends sterling, stones and de bruyne on loan to me to help me push for promotion in my second season. thanks again BadAss88 :thup:

Just now, Earthworm_bill said:

Thank you BadAss88 for the Lommel suggestion. just finished my first season with them and loved every minute. the club is in a financial mess but having man city as a parent club makes it an exciting save. hoping that pep sends sterling, stones and de bruyne on loan to me to help me push for promotion in my second season. thanks again BadAss88 :thup:

Do Lommel have any stand out players in their squad that aint players loaned in from Man City ?

hey, yeah they have a couple of stand out non city players

Vinicius Souza - a 21 year old Brazilian who they signed for a 2.3m fee at the start of the game. is described as a defensive midfielder but can play anywhere across the middle of the park  

Sabastiaan Brebels a 25 year old attacking midfielder from Belgium 

Filip Krastev a 19 year old from Bulgaria. he arrives in January first season but he is who i plan to build my team around in the 2nd season maybe tricking as he is attracting interesting from hertha and hamburg in Germany

Jordan Kadiri a 21 year old Nigerian striker who  is fast and can finish. he scored 9 from 9 before he was hit with a long term injury which kept him out for the season

Defensively they only have 31 year old stijn wuytens and 31 year old glenn neven  worth mentioning but because of the state of the club finances i may end up losing them in the summer.

hope this helps and if you have any other questions i will try my best to answer them

On 25/12/2020 at 17:50, thisisneeds said:

Hi guys, I'm here a to ask you an obvious question. Which team should I manage??Something about fm 21 that I'm not connecting with any saves. Last fm I did 15+ season with Eschen/Mauren and the national side as a club and country save. I normally go with lower league saves but this time I want a club where I can spend a little bit of money. The counties I'm thinking of are Croatia, Spain, Cyprus, Holland and Portugal. Any club reccomendation would be very grateful. Thanks in advance. 

Would be open to other counties too! 

Take over OS Belenenses. Have to go a couple of times on holiday for 1 year until they are promoted to the new 4th tier in Portugal in 2021 and then kick out their current coach with the editor. You get 7/10 training and youth facilities and 1 million transfer budget in the 4th tier which is insane. I had the same issue as you but this solved it after also having some new kits for this club created and it's a very fun save. Try to dismantle Belenenses SAD first, then Benfica, Sporting and Porto and do damage in Europe. I can only recommend this.

I finally made two saves with FCSB and Norwich. I'm now looking for an other save. Wanna play with a team with plenty of young players in a small league. Can be in second division or less. My main idea was FC NORDSJAELLAND but have you any other suggestions ?

18 hours ago, steevo55 said:

I finally made two saves with FCSB and Norwich. I'm now looking for an other save. Wanna play with a team with plenty of young players in a small league. Can be in second division or less. My main idea was FC NORDSJAELLAND but have you any other suggestions ?

RSC Anderlecht

Is RB Salzburg a good starting team? I like their tranfers strategy in real life but I am doubtful it the league is fun a few years in when you have clearly outgrown the league or am I wrong?

What other teams are there that can compare to them in their philosophy about developing players and searching the smaller markets for findings? Benfica, Ajax etc seems a notch over that and buy players from another shelf. 

10 hours ago, 3rik said:

Is RB Salzburg a good starting team? I like their tranfers strategy in real life but I am doubtful it the league is fun a few years in when you have clearly outgrown the league or am I wrong?

What other teams are there that can compare to them in their philosophy about developing players and searching the smaller markets for findings? Benfica, Ajax etc seems a notch over that and buy players from another shelf. 

Its probably not what youre looking for, but what about a Ukranian team like Shakhtar or Dinamo Kiev, where you have got good youth prospects you can develop and then clubs like to tap into the Brazilian market for under the radar talent.