Where's it going wrong?

After some advice.

Had this tactic with my West Ham team, (Only difference is that instead of the Mezzala I used an AP and the DLP has been on support for the most part and the LOE has been at standard), played some excellent football using it and had a good 1st season. Had some bad results along the way but overall it was an over achievement really. Had a good summer, cleared out most of the crap and bought in better players with the idea that I'd buy players that would suit my formation rather than buying players for the sake of it. Started the 2nd season very well however and was going along nicely but as you can see, from around December, we've started to wobble and I can't understand why.

My tactics haven't changed and I know some will say that that's the problem however, even when we're playing poorly, we do still create chances but I've started getting the pea roller shots where no matter where my players are, they just don't generate any power on the shots making it easy for the keeper, or the opposition keeper saves everything. In the Europa League defeat to Kiev, we hit the woodwork 6 times in the 2nd leg plus, they had 1 shot all game, and it never even hit the target! we scored an own goal to let them back in.We're also seeing CB's on the ball, with 2 or 3 passing options dallying on the ball and getting caught out and it's just been terrible for the past 4 months. Don't let the wins deceive you either, After the Liverpool defeat early in December, aside from the wins over Leicester, Chelsea and Spurs (to a point,we played well but we still left ourselves open and could easily have drawn or lost) the rest of them have seen us just nick the odd goal but play terrible for large parts of the game.

Now the problem is, I don't want to make drastic changes to the formation as I've bought players in for this shape plus I've also scouted hundreds of players all with the idea that at any time, I can look at my short list and know that every player on there would fit in so I'm just seeing if anyone can suggest some subtle changes or any major concerns that could be causing the downturn in form? I understand that my rep may have grown and teams are setting up different against me but I'm not sure how to go about countering that without changing the formation.

FM20.thumb.png.887a569a3df4e505f84dfffebe8334ac.png

FM20-1.thumb.png.7ba6cbc7bee3a46db66c7e89e0243d3a.pngFM20-2.thumb.png.6369226301601753c16efa42e2307abb.pngFM20-3.thumb.png.49dd8f270147d9a70ea25b0372d02f07.pngFM20-4.thumb.png.5a1e03d9291797db81b03e1316f2dda4.pngFM20-5.thumb.png.df8b95fc4b18ddab0784a6f9afc27c98.png

Edited by LeeWHU888
inappropriate word

10 minutes ago, LeeWHU888 said:

FM20.thumb.png.887a569a3df4e505f84dfffebe8334ac.png

My take on this:

1. Do you really need the Focus on Both Flanks? It'll increase mentality for every player on the wing. Felipe Anderson is already on a Attacking Duty in a Positive Mentality, so it should be way too attacking with the Focus. Also both your full backs will take more risks. I would drop the focus and have the RB with an Attack Duty.

2. DM-De and DLP-Su both have Hold Position. It's probably too static. Also, who are the DLP targets? With the RB on attack duty, he'll have one more option. My opinion: you could probably play the DM with DLP-De/Su and the LCM on BBM or keep the DM on DM-De and change the LCM to RPM.

3. Player suitability: Jarrod is Left footed, playing as a Winger on the Right might not be the most suitable. He also has "Cuts Inside from Right Wing" which doesn't help. Any reason why Haller is DLF instead of TM or even PF? Also, don't know if Fornals fits as MEZ. Switch with Cuisance, he's a much better fit. Btw, be careful with Fornal's Work Rate. On my game he has 9... It's very low for a Premier League team, especially when your team isn't league leader.

First off, the 5th place with a team like WHU is a very good achievement IMHO, so I think a bit of realism would not hurt.

Secondly, your results overall do not look bad at all (despite some occasional upsets). 

And you achieved all that with a tactic that is a bit too ambitious (to say the least) as well as defensively risky, considering the quality and strength of your team (decent, perhaps even good, but certainly not a top one). 

36 minutes ago, LeeWHU888 said:

écomwb.jpg

Btw, what is this other tactic (523 wide) supposed to represent? It's not even your team. 

I don't suggest same "focus play" TI for every game. AI will adapt this same build up and will use it's disadvantages like a cheat against your team.

I use focus play when i see some weakness on the opposite team; a card, an injury, low defensive quality player/s, a lone wide man tactic like a 3-4-3 or 5-3-2 etc. If i see opposition throws too many players forward on one side or if they give too much space.

I must add one thing that when i want to create some attacking style i also use focus play. For example: if i use an overlap or underlap on a side then i use focus play to the opposite flank or if i use both flanks to overlap so i use focus play through the middle to create a style in a match.

Edited by zabyl
added etc

13 minutes ago, lfds89 said:

My take on this:

1. Do you really need the Focus on Both Flanks? It'll increase mentality for every player on the wing. Felipe Anderson is already on a Attacking Duty in a Positive Mentality, so it should be way too attacking with the Focus. Also both your full backs will take more risks. I would drop the focus and have the RB with an Attack Duty.

2. DM-De and DLP-Su both have Hold Position. It's probably too static. Also, who are the DLP targets? With the RB on attack duty, he'll have one more option. My opinion: you could probably play the DM with DLP-De/Su and the LCM on BBM or keep the DM on DM-De and change the LCM to RPM.

3. Player suitability: Jarrod is Left footed, playing as a Winger on the Right might not be the most suitable. He also has "Cuts Inside from Right Wing" which doesn't help. Any reason why Haller is DLF instead of TM or even PF? Also, don't know if Fornals fits as MEZ. Switch with Cuisance, he's a much better fit. Btw, be careful with Fornal's Work Rate. On my game he has 9... It's very low for a Premier League team, especially when your team isn't league leader.

Thanks for the reply.

Just wanted to encourage play down both flanks as that's where I wanted our attacks to come from. Did think about the FB on A so will do that and drop the focus play.

I'll tinker around with the middle lot and see if I can switch it up a bit, I know about Bowen, However, I've had success with Anderson playing the IW role and wanted to get him in there, and Bowen was decent in the 1st season but he is a player I'm looking at replacing this summer. I've played Haller in them roles but although it says they're his best roles I never seem to get the best out of him, but as a DLP, he's got 26 goals in the season and half he's had. Sorry, did edit it after but Fornals has been playing as an advanced playmaker which is why I had 2 players sitting in but maybe I loosen the shackles a bit.

9 minutes ago, Experienced Defender said:

First off, the 5th place with a team like WHU is a very good achievement IMHO, so I think a bit of realism would not hurt.

Secondly, your results overall do not look bad at all (despite some occasional upsets). 

And you achieved all that with a tactic that is a bit too ambitious (to say the least) as well as defensively risky, considering the quality and strength of your team (decent, perhaps even good, but certainly not a top one). 

Btw, what is this other tactic (523 wide) supposed to represent? It's not even your team. 

Nothing to do with me mate lol, I think it came up when you edited my swear word out of it? 

How would you suggest I become a bit more defensively sound without compromising my attacking play too much?

12 minutes ago, LeeWHU888 said:

Nothing to do with me mate lol, I think it came up when you edited my swear word out of it?

Might be, I don't know. But how did it emerge out of nothing? Anyway, I'll remove that screenshot lest it confuse people. 

13 minutes ago, LeeWHU888 said:

How would you suggest I become a bit more defensively sound without compromising my attacking play too much?

First by removing the Get stuck in instruction and then possibly also toning down the pressing urgency to default in case the first tweak proves insufficient. 

Counter-press may also be a potential source of defensive issues (at least against strong opposition). 

When it comes to roles, a potential tweak that can improve not just defensive solidity but also be beneficial attacking-wise is switching the mezzala into CM on attack duty (with a couple of PIs such as roam from position, take more risks and perhaps dribble more as well). 

Last but not least, I do not see much sense in focusing play down the flanks (except as an occasional in-match tweak).