FM24 - PC/Laptop advice thread *** PLEASE READ OPENING POST BEFORE POSTING ***

2 hours ago, kevhamster said:

ANd just to confirm this one will run the match engine well?

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, Smurf said:

This is better and you can easily add more RAM if needed - it's cheapest part to upgrade - and easiest.

https://www.box.co.uk/82JY0017UK-Lenovo-Legion-5-17-(2021)-AMD-Ryzen-5-8G_3557974.html

Or this one with 15 inch screen

https://www.box.co.uk/82JU002XUK-U-Lenovo-Legion-5-(2021)-AMD-Ryzen-5-16GB-_3817755.html

See links above

FM isn't supported on Chrome OS.

Have no idea about the rest.

This is untrue for many reasons - I have a gaming laptop - never gets hot at all. 

Macs can get hot, very hot

The fact that yours only gets 'warm' just means you may not be putting it through the same strain as someone else might. 

Sacrafice for Macbook Air is screen size

They are the best 13 inch portably laptop for the price - and if you're happy with that screen size the go for it. 

13inch Macbook Air
 €1200
256gb hard drive 
13 inch screen

13inch Macbook Air
 €1400
512gb hard drive 
13 inch screen

Next Macs start at €2249

For me - No thanks

Might be through Wine or something - but no guarantees.

FM is not supported on Linux

Thank you. I wasn’t sure could upgrade memory on a laptop. I might ask if they can do it for me as 17” screen and 16gb would be nice. Black Friday is on in a few weeks so will wait I think.  I thought gigabyte are meant to be best brand laptops unless want to spay silly money for Alienware

i have seen some laptops with oled screens for 1k and slightly under. If I just want to play football manager watch Netflix, sky, browse the net and maybe play the odd Xbox game via game pass would you say that’s my best option? I know can get cheaper laptops but I would like one that runs football manager at a decent speed and run all the leagues including lower tier leagues from England, Germany, France, Italy, Spain,Holland, Scotland maybe turkey, Brazil and Argentina.

thank you for your help 

Hi , hoping to get a little advice here. I haven't played the game in quite a few years but looking to come back now with a new laptop. I have always been a Mac guy and currently still running with my Macbook Pro (2013), its really time for an upgrade. I'm no longer wedded to Apple and in terms of usage, I will do a little word processing and the only games I will play are FM22 & Stellaris.

In terms of FM usage, I would like to run 10 or so playable leagues, have a large DB and also use the 3D match engine (or at least have the option to if I don't tire of it).

Please can I get a few recommendations, my budget is £700 - £1,000 and I'm really looking for something that will be somewhat future proof for the next 4-5 years. If extended my budget a little further for a significant future saving please do shout up and let me know the estimated impact of the additional budget. 

I had also considered a desktop but after working from home for 2 years I don't think I want to be stuck at a desk all evening as well. 

I did see these recommended to others but wondered if they would be overkill for my requirements. Are they, could I save money somewhere? Assuming they are good options, is the improved processor worth the additional cost (I think that is the only real difference)? Finally, will they run hot if play on a lap on the train...?

https://www.box.co.uk/82JU002XUK-U-Lenovo-Legion-5-(2021)-AMD-Ryzen-5-16GB-_3817755.html

https://www.box.co.uk/30031893-Medion-Erazer-P25-AMD-Ryzen-7-16GB-RAM-5_3820600.html

Thanks in advance for all the help giving here.

Edited by RTC80
Adding a little further detail.

58 minutes ago, RTC80 said:

Hi , hoping to get a little advice here. I haven't played the game in quite a few years but looking to come back now with a new laptop. I have always been a Mac guy and currently still running with my Macbook Pro (2013), its really time for an upgrade. I'm no longer wedded to Apple and in terms of usage, I will do a little word processing and the only games I will play are FM22 & Stellaris.

In terms of FM usage, I would like to run 10 or so playable leagues, have a large DB and also use the 3D match engine (or at least have the option to if I don't tire of it).

Please can I get a few recommendations, my budget is £700 - £1,000 and I'm really looking for something that will be somewhat future proof for the next 4-5 years. If extended my budget a little further for a significant future saving please do shout up and let me know the estimated impact of the additional budget. 

I had also considered a desktop but after working from home for 2 years I don't think I want to be stuck at a desk all evening as well. 

I did see these recommended to others but wondered if they would be overkill for my requirements. Are they, could I save money somewhere? Assuming they are good options, is the improved processor worth the additional cost (I think that is the only real difference)? Finally, will they run hot if play on a lap on the train...?

https://www.box.co.uk/30031893-Medion-Erazer-P25-AMD-Ryzen-7-16GB-RAM-5_3820600.html

I’m not an expert but been looking to buy a laptop for a few weeks now and I’m sure I read U at the end of a model of the laptop means unclocked so will be slower. I could be wrong but it makes me want to avoid them. I also notice some laptops offer 1 year warranty and some offer 2. I would like to go for the 2 year one myself if possible.

Black Friday is in a few weeks I think so I’m holding off until then before buying a laptop

8 hours ago, Smurf said:

This is better and you can easily add more RAM if needed - it's cheapest part to upgrade - and easiest.

https://www.box.co.uk/82JY0017UK-Lenovo-Legion-5-17-(2021)-AMD-Ryzen-5-8G_3557974.html

Or this one with 15 inch screen

See links above

FM isn't supported on Chrome OS.

Have no idea about the rest.

This is untrue for many reasons - I have a gaming laptop - never gets hot at all. 

Macs can get hot, very hot

The fact that yours only gets 'warm' just means you may not be putting it through the same strain as someone else might. 

Sacrafice for Macbook Air is screen size

They are the best 13 inch portably laptop for the price - and if you're happy with that screen size the go for it. 

13inch Macbook Air
 €1200
256gb hard drive 
13 inch screen

13inch Macbook Air
 €1400
512gb hard drive 
13 inch screen

Next Macs start at €2249

For me - No thanks

Might be through Wine or something - but no guarantees.

FM is not supported on Linux

Its not untrue as my own gaming laptop gets crazy hot. I have tested both on FM with the same database size and the Mac only ever gets warm where the gaming laptop is almost too hot to touch. It wasn't a cheap one either! I actually prefer the smaller screen but that's purely down to personal preference. 

15 minutes ago, John Joe O'toole said:

Its not untrue as my own gaming laptop gets crazy hot. I have tested both on FM with the same database size and the Mac only ever gets warm where the gaming laptop is almost too hot to touch. It wasn't a cheap one either! I actually prefer the smaller screen but that's purely down to personal preference. 

That's your personal experience.

What are the specs of the laptop?

Please post the dxdiag.txt file.

It's likely the fans are clogged. You can blow compressed air into the vents to clear the dust.

I've had two MacBooks burst open at the seams with the heat.

And also and oldstyle imac with colored back went on fire.

I've never in 25 years had a laptop overheat. 

Take my word for it. Computers in general can run hot. But not generally.

2 hours ago, Tony7 said:

Thank you. I wasn’t sure could upgrade memory on a laptop. I might ask if they can do it for me as 17” screen and 16gb would be nice. Black Friday is on in a few weeks so will wait I think.  I thought gigabyte are meant to be best brand laptops unless want to spay silly money for Alienware

i have seen some laptops with oled screens for 1k and slightly under. If I just want to play football manager watch Netflix, sky, browse the net and maybe play the odd Xbox game via game pass would you say that’s my best option? I know can get cheaper laptops but I would like one that runs football manager at a decent speed and run all the leagues including lower tier leagues from England, Germany, France, Italy, Spain,Holland, Scotland maybe turkey, Brazil and Argentina.

thank you for your help 

Can't speculate on how many leagues you can run at a speed that is comfortable for you.

General rule of thumb go for the best processor you can.

If you are playing games via Xbox game pass you might need a dedicated graphics card.

Not sure on that perhaps @kevhamster might know 

22 minutes ago, John Joe O'toole said:

3 minutes ago, Smurf said:

It's likely the fans are clogged. You can blow compressed air into the vents to clear the dust.

To add to this, some gaming laptops don't come with higher end processors suited for fm.

Fm is a different type of game. Requiring processor over graphics.

Games typically require graphics over processor.

8 minutes ago, Smurf said:

6 minutes ago, Smurf said:

To add to this, some gaming laptops don't come with higher end processors suited for fm.

Fm is a different type of game. Requiring processor over graphics.

Games typically require graphics over processor.

I was just referring to the current MacBook Air (m1) as my old MBP also used to get hot but the battery was still fairly decent. 

Rough specs are 16gb RAM - i7 2.6ghz - GTX 2060 - What you have said makes sense actually, it may be a laptop tailored for like Fortnite, Far Cry etc! Anyway I'm not happy with the performance of it to be quite honest. 

What do you need that file for? How quickly would the fans clog up? Had it around a year, if this was the case would the dust clog the fans then the cpu would throttle?

1 hour ago, John Joe O'toole said:

I was just referring to the current MacBook Air (m1) as my old MBP also used to get hot but the battery was still fairly decent. 

Rough specs are 16gb RAM - i7 2.6ghz - GTX 2060 - What you have said makes sense actually, it may be a laptop tailored for like Fortnite, Far Cry etc! Anyway I'm not happy with the performance of it to be quite honest. 

What do you need that file for? How quickly would the fans clog up? Had it around a year, if this was the case would the dust clog the fans then the cpu would throttle?

Dxdiag contains all the system specs and model numbers.

MacBook air m1 is a good price for the 256gb model and best available 13 inch laptop at the moment. For 999. And 1200 for the 512gb model.

After that, given that 13 inch maybe too small for some. The next range of Macs m1 larger than 13 inch start at over 2k.

As others like to play other games, the 13 inch screen is often too small even for FM.

But if people are happy with it then great. Go for it.

But spending 2k+ on a laptop with the m1 chip is not necessary when you can get similar PC for half the price. Or the 13 inch MacBook air for half the price.

Fans cool the processor and computer. When they clog they don't spin. No air flow. No cooling. This can happen if laptop is used on lap, couch, carpet, bed etc. It's a good idea to have a cheap laptop stand and or use a magazine etc when resting on materials.

My brother needed a laptop stand for his Mac because it was so hot it was burning his leg.

Just to resay, if in the market for a 13 inch laptop, Macbook air m1 is ahead of other 13 inch laptops for price and performance. If you want larger screen then Mac's double in price for 14 inch.

For fm you don't need to spend over 2k on a laptop. And a lot of people want 15inch or larger screens, especially playing other games.

2 hours ago, Lewis007 said:

That Medion Erazer was just under £1000 when it was linked as a suggestion. I imagine it will be back on offer in the next week or two.

May try a cheeky email and see if they will honour the previous price. I'm interested to know from someone in here though if that is overkill for my budget as ideally would like to spend a little less. 

Dont really want to wait until black Friday as I have a few long trips before now and then that the laptop would be great for. 

Hi guys, in the market for a new laptop, mainly used for browsing & FM22. 

£600 budget preferably https://currys.co.uk/gbuk/index.html 

Large Database of players and to run the main top divisions quickly, ENG / FRA / ITA / GER / SPA.

Old laptop cooling fan isn't working properly & is taking far too long to run through the seasons & international periods.

A few recommendations as i'm far from tech savvy, Cheers...

3 hours ago, Smurf said:

Can't speculate on how many leagues you can run at a speed that is comfortable for you.

If you are playing games via Xbox game pass you might need a dedicated graphics card.

I don't believe you do.  I'll test it out on FM21 on my laptop now as I've got Game Pass.

50 minutes ago, Fowler_91 said:

Hi guys, in the market for a new laptop, mainly used for browsing & FM22. 

£600 budget preferably https://currys.co.uk/gbuk/index.html 

Large Database of players and to run the main top divisions quickly, ENG / FRA / ITA / GER / SPA.

Old laptop cooling fan isn't working properly & is taking far too long to run through the seasons & international periods.

A few recommendations as i'm far from tech savvy, Cheers...

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/acer-aspire-5-a514-54-14-laptop-intel-core-i5-512-gb-ssd-black-silver-10212829-pdt.html

10 minutes ago, Fowler_91 said:

Cheers Kev is this likely to run the 3D match engine smoothly, I know nothing about graphics cards & don't seem to see 1 mentioned in the specification.

It has an integrated GPU, rather than a dedicated one.  Should be fine at medium settings, possibly higher.  I couldn't see any laptops at Currys with a dedicated graphics card at £600 or less.

Just now, kevhamster said:

It has an integrated GPU, rather than a dedicated one.  Should be fine at medium settings, possibly higher.  I couldn't see any laptops at Currys with a dedicated graphics card at £600 or less.

Ever so helpful Kev, would it be worthwhile getting a bluetooth or wireless mouse & a laptop stand?

10 minutes ago, Fowler_91 said:

Ever so helpful Kev, would it be worthwhile getting a bluetooth or wireless mouse & a laptop stand?

I certainly find using a mouse better than using the mousepad you get on a laptop.  And a stand is definitely worthwhile if you don't have any other surface to put it on.

4 hours ago, Smurf said:

FM Xbox edition works fine on a PC without a dedicated graphics card - just tried it on my laptop.

Other games may well require a dedicated graphics card.  I'd recommend checking for each game you're interested in @Tony7

9 minutes ago, kevhamster said:

I certainly find using a mouse better than using the mousepad you get on a laptop.  And a stand is definitely worthwhile if you don't have any other surface to put it on.

Any cheap recommendations of either to do the job Kev, last question... Thanks again!

1 minute ago, Fowler_91 said:

Any cheap recommendations of either to do the job Kev, last question... Thanks again!

I've only ever used a wired mouse, so can't help with bluetooth ones.  This one feels nice in the hand. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07VXJ8PL4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

8 hours ago, RTC80 said:

Any more guidance on this one? Afraid it had been missed.

7 hours ago, RTC80 said:

Any more guidance on this one? Afraid it had been missed.

Apologies - the forum can get a little crazy - and just two of us monitoring posts and replying.

Feel free to tag me with the @ 

Here's my best finds
Personally I'd look at these seriously

16inch
https://www.box.co.uk/4Q5S2EAABU-Victus-by-HP-16-AMD-Ryzen-5-16GB-RAM-512_3820917.html

15 inch

900-1000 - this gives slight bump in the Processor and Graphics
https://www.box.co.uk/9S7-158212-250-MSI-Katana-GF66-Intel-Core-i7-8GB-RAM-51_3632308.html

adding more RAM is easy - and making 16gb would be the best option.

Honourable mentions

Below 700 - this is a steal
https://www.box.co.uk/82K200C2UK-Lenovo-ideaPad-Gaming-3-AMD-Ryzen-5-8GB-_3638079.html

700-800 - getting a better graphics card
https://www.box.co.uk/30031834-Medion-Erazer-E25-AMD-Ryzen-5-8GB-RAM-51_3820497.html

800-900 - just a bump in graphics again
https://www.box.co.uk/82JU002XUK-Lenovo-Legion-5-(2021)-AMD-Ryzen-5-8GB-R_3557973.html

55 minutes ago, Smurf said:

15 inch

900-1000 - this gives slight bump in the Processor and Graphics
https://www.box.co.uk/9S7-158212-250-MSI-Katana-GF66-Intel-Core-i7-8GB-RAM-51_3632308.html

adding more RAM is easy - and making 16gb would be the best option.

No problem at all, thanks for the reply. 

I can't go for a white laptop... I don't think it would look great after a few hundred hours of use.

Of the two above, is the MSI the better deal if I can increase the RAM. Can you also recommend the best RAM to get? 

Also, if I could get https://www.box.co.uk/30031893-Medion-Erazer-P25-AMD-Ryzen-7-16GB-RAM-5_3820600.html am I right in thinking this would be the best bang for buck?

Hello wonderful people. I've been reading through the forum but I am struggling to make a decision. 

I have around £900 to spend. 

The laptop will be used mainly for FM but also for Netflix, kids homework, other games, like Minecraft and some other games on Game Pass, Steam and Epic. All the family will have access, so it needs to be quite robust. 

Tl;dr

A good all rounder with capability to have a good experience on FM. 

13 minutes ago, RTC80 said:

No problem at all, thanks for the reply. 

I can't go for a white laptop... I don't think it would look great after a few hundred hours of use.

Of the two above, is the MSI the better deal if I can increase the RAM. Can you also recommend the best RAM to get? 

Also, if I could get https://www.box.co.uk/30031893-Medion-Erazer-P25-AMD-Ryzen-7-16GB-RAM-5_3820600.html am I right in thinking this would be the best bang for buck?

It's a close race between them
image.png.9ba5ecc6c9dd6fb231d5835416a340b5.png

The 5800H is marginally better. 

And you won't need to upgrade any RAM or anything on it.

If you can get the 5800H then great. 

If not then it's between the 11800H and the 5600H - 

And I'd be inclined to go with the faster base speed - the 5600H

@kevhamsterwhat do you think?

2 minutes ago, StePratt said:

Hello wonderful people. I've been reading through the forum but I am struggling to make a decision. 

I have around £900 to spend. 

The laptop will be used mainly for FM but also for Netflix, kids homework, other games, like Minecraft and some other games on Game Pass, Steam and Epic. All the family will have access, so it needs to be quite robust. 

Tl;dr

A good all rounder with capability to have a good experience on FM. 

Just this morning I put together a roundup of laptops that I could find

5 minutes ago, Smurf said:

It's a close race between them
image.png.9ba5ecc6c9dd6fb231d5835416a340b5.png

The 5800H is marginally better. 

And you won't need to upgrade any RAM or anything on it.

If you can get the 5800H then great. 

If not then it's between the 11800H and the 5600H - 

And I'd be inclined to go with the faster base speed - the 5600H

@kevhamsterwhat do you think?

I'd probably go for the i7 - more cores and larger cache.

But, you can't go wrong with any of the three.  They're all excellent.

3 minutes ago, kevhamster said:

Well same amount of cores - I just torn between base speeds :lol:

*edit* i see what you mean with the i7 vs the 5600 - oops my bad

Edited by Smurf

1 hour ago, kevhamster said:

1 hour ago, Smurf said:

Well same amount of cores - I just torn between base speeds :lol:

*edit* i see what you mean with the i7 vs the 5600 - oops my bad

Thanks both, really appreciate the help. Think I'll go for one of those :)

Hey so having trawled through these pages and other sites to find the best computer I have come along this which I thought I would check to see what you guys think. https://www.scan.co.uk/products/156-msi-katana-gf66-11ug-087-fhd-144hz-i7-11800h-16gb-ddr4-512gb-nvme-ssd-8gb-rtx-3070-usb-32-gen1-w?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=feed_clicks&utm_content=surfaces_across_google&gclid=CjwKCAjw2vOLBhBPEiwAjEeK9gmjPaJ2zC7NUlMVZepLxd63ttEFkmBXCRYOJUFQoBAyYhFa-6IdNRoCnpgQAvD_BwE

has anyone had any experience with this machine or this website when buying a laptop? I also like the look of the lenova which is highly recommended! I just keep putting off buying it in the hope Black Friday starts early and we get some good discounts on laptops 🤷‍♂️

35 minutes ago, pedromexico said:

Hey so having trawled through these pages and other sites to find the best computer I have come along this which I thought I would check to see what you guys think. https://www.scan.co.uk/products/156-msi-katana-gf66-11ug-087-fhd-144hz-i7-11800h-16gb-ddr4-512gb-nvme-ssd-8gb-rtx-3070-usb-32-gen1-w?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=feed_clicks&utm_content=surfaces_across_google&gclid=CjwKCAjw2vOLBhBPEiwAjEeK9gmjPaJ2zC7NUlMVZepLxd63ttEFkmBXCRYOJUFQoBAyYhFa-6IdNRoCnpgQAvD_BwE

has anyone had any experience with this machine or this website when buying a laptop? I also like the look of the lenova which is highly recommended! I just keep putting off buying it in the hope Black Friday starts early and we get some good discounts on laptops 🤷‍♂️

Are you looking for a machine purely for FM, or are you playing other games?  And what is your budget?

I will say, this one looks a bit overpriced to me, but it could be due to it have an RTX 3070 graphics card.  If FM is the only game you're playing, there will definitely be better value options for you.

12 minutes ago, kevhamster said:

Are you looking for a machine purely for FM, or are you playing other games?  And what is your budget?

I will say, this one looks a bit overpriced to me, but it could be due to it have an RTX 3070 graphics card.  If FM is the only game you're playing, there will definitely be better value options for you.

Thanks kev…it is purely for fm and streaming movies! I did think it would be useful buying a decent one so in the next few years it can handle the improvements of the fm series? 

38 minutes ago, pedromexico said:

Thanks kev…it is purely for fm and streaming movies! I did think it would be useful buying a decent one so in the next few years it can handle the improvements of the fm series? 

This one has a slightly stronger CPU, the RTX 3060 graphics card (which is more than enough for FM and likely to be for years), 16GB RAM and a 512GB SSD.  

It's £300 less than the one you linked, definitely a better value deal.

Sorry if my question is slightly off topic but I hope some will find it useful as I'm on the fence regarding the screen size, seemingly some others are too. 14" for better portability or a reasonably lightweight 15" for comfort and still decent portability.

Can anyone playing FM on 14 inch screen give a little bit of feedback on how comfy or not it is compared to 15.6?

I know it's subjective but I mean generally whether you have to play with less columns visible in squad view, reduced 2d pitch size, etc things like that. And if you found a way to fit more stuff by fiddling with the resolution does it cause more strain to the eyes? 

I only have my work 13.3 Dell laptop to compare which I can't use for FM but even without trying I know it would be too small for me.

Edited by right_winger

It will be fine. There's a laptop thread and a MacBook thread already.

Just to advise that it's very expensive and you could go to the Mac book air for half the price albeit a 13 inch screen.

Or you could go for a 14 or 15inch PC laptop for half the price and a similar performance.

Macs are nice but at €2.4k+ is a lot to spend to play fm when you can get the same experience or similar for half that.

4 hours ago, Smurf said:

It will be fine. There's a laptop thread and a MacBook thread already.

Just to advise that it's very expensive and you could go to the Mac book air for half the price albeit a 13 inch screen.

Or you could go for a 14 or 15inch PC laptop for half the price and a similar performance.

Macs are nice but at €2.4k+ is a lot to spend to play fm when you can get the same experience or similar for half that.

I agree with you, paying for MacBook Pro to play exclusive FM, is way to expensive, but no one doesn't pay for MacBook Pro to play exclusive for FM... :P

Edited by grade

2 minutes ago, grade said:

I agree with you, paying for MacBook Pro to play exclusive FM, is way to expensive, but no one doesn't pay for MacBook Pro to play exclusive for FM... :P

How do you know? That's just your opinion.

4 hours ago, sagill said:

I am looking to purchase a new MBP 14" M1 pro chip . Want to check if Football Manager 2022 is playable on Macbook Pro 14" M1 Pro Chip. Any advise? Thanks

It runs amazing. I own the 14" MacBook Pro with 10-Core CPU / 16-Core GPU / 16GB RAM / 1TB storage and FM 2022 runs great. No fan-noise at all.

I even stream to Twitch via OBS simultaneously without any problem.

Edited by Rivanov

19 minutes ago, Rivanov said:

It runs amazing. I own the 14" MacBook Pro with 10-Core CPU / 16-Core GPU / 16GB RAM / 1TB storage and FM 2022 runs great. No fan-noise at all.

I even stream to Twitch via OBS simultaneously without any problem.

Not surprising.

A lot of computers in this price range will do that no problem at all. 

I play on on a DELL i7 7700HQ (4 cores/8threads hyperthreading enabled) / 1050TI Graphics Card (768- Cuda-Cores) /  8gb RAM

and have no fan noise at all.

Edited by Smurf