FM24 - PC/Laptop advice thread *** PLEASE READ OPENING POST BEFORE POSTING ***

37 minutes ago, Smurf said:

That's because the old Mac's with Intel chips often had the U processors and were quite underpowered for the price 

Only some i7s and some i9s were on par with the m1, but that was the only i9 processor or higher end i7s apple offered in the Intel Macs.

But you were paying way over the odds for these higher spec processors anyway.

It's still true that you can better value for money in the PC laptop when going into the 15 inch + range.

But then again if someone wants to spend 1.8k or more I'm not going to stop them.

The new Mac's are great.

But I have to point out the breaking points for value.

For me, it's the 2nd option in the 14 inch which is far too high to justify.

So happy to recommend the 14 or 13 inch Macs for under the £1300 range, IF someone is looking for 13 or 14 inch.

If not then I'd find it hard to recommend a Mac over a PC laptop.

Ffs give it a rest :D

1) All of my advice is in the context of buying a Mac, because he said he only wants to buy a Mac so your post is completely unnecessary
2) I have said multiple times you will get better value for money buying a Windows laptop over a Mac
3) Despite that, you are still wrong about the processors. The old i7s and i9s were at best on par with the M1, let alone the Pro and the Max. Even just a quick glance at Geekbench shows the base M1 competing if not beating all of the top laptop CPUs at a much lower wattage. Look at some numbers.

If someone wanted a device purely for FM, as much as any of the new M1's would annihilate it, I would never recommend a Mac over a PC laptop. The extra money is not worth it for FM-only, I have never claimed otherwise. So I have no idea why you're arguing with yourself.

Edited by foolsgold

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

54 minutes ago, Smurf said:

I play the bold part at max level no problem. You don't need a Mac to do that. 

My computer cost £799 and I often see people posting what leagues and database they play on the Mac and my PC plays more, 3d high level and under £800.

What laptop do you have? @Smurf

46 minutes ago, foolsgold said:

Ffs give it a rest :D

1) All of my advice is in the context of buying a Mac, because he said he only wants to buy a Mac so your post is completely unnecessary
2) I have said multiple times you will get better value for money buying a Windows laptop over a Mac
3) Despite that, you are still wrong about the processors. The old i7s and i9s were at best on par with the M1, let alone the Pro and the Max. Even just a quick glance at Geekbench shows the base M1 competing if not beating all of the top laptop CPUs at a much lower wattage. Look at some numbers.

If someone wanted a device purely for FM, as much as any of the new M1's would annihilate it, I would never recommend a Mac over a PC laptop. The extra money is not worth it for FM-only, I have never claimed otherwise. So I have no idea why you're arguing with yourself.

I'm only responding to you.

And giving accurate information.

38 minutes ago, mgtprobo said:

What laptop do you have? @Smurf

I7 7700hq 8gb ram 1050ti

That's my travel laptop where I play on most.

I have higher spec computers for work, Mac and PCs and continue the save on them from time to time.

But the i7 is my lowest spec machine that I play the most on. 

It's great for travel cos I don't care if it breaks or gets robbed.

Il y a 2 heures, Fructisme a dit :

Hiya! Based in Switzerland and I wonder if my laptop is ok... I thought he was doing fine til now, it's from 2015.

Aspire V 15 Nitro

Intel Core i7-5500U 2.4 Ghz

NVIDIA GEForce 940M

8GB DDR3

128GB SSD and 1TB HDD

I can only run the swiss league and BuLi and is soooooooooooooooooooooooooo slow. How am I supposed to make proper a journeyman? :lol:

Is it me or my laptop is too old now and I need to change?

As I had no answer, I guess it's too old ! :kriss:

I found this one : https://www.steg-electronics.ch/fr/product/acer-nitro-5-an517-54-742r-17-3-fhd-i7h-32gb-1tb-ssd-rtx-3050-ti-w10h-28827666

But I guess it is far too much to use for a FM22 save with a lots of leagues? On this one, for let's say 30 leagues, to run easy and quick, what is possible to downgrade? So i can lessen the prize...

4 hours ago, Fructisme said:

Hiya! Based in Switzerland and I wonder if my laptop is ok... I thought he was doing fine til now, it's from 2015.

Aspire V 15 Nitro

Intel Core i7-5500U 2.4 Ghz

NVIDIA GEForce 940M

8GB DDR3

128GB SSD and 1TB HDD

I can only run the swiss league and BuLi and is soooooooooooooooooooooooooo slow. How am I supposed to make proper a journeyman? :lol:

Is it me or my laptop is too old now and I need to change?

It's probably the laptop - it's an old low power CPU, with slow DDR3 RAM so I wouldn't expect performance to be very quick by current standards.

1 hour ago, Fructisme said:

As I had no answer, I guess it's too old ! :kriss:

I found this one : https://www.steg-electronics.ch/fr/product/acer-nitro-5-an517-54-742r-17-3-fhd-i7h-32gb-1tb-ssd-rtx-3050-ti-w10h-28827666

But I guess it is far too much to use for a FM22 save with a lots of leagues? On this one, for let's say 30 leagues, to run easy and quick, what is possible to downgrade? So i can lessen the prize...

Sorry, I've only just seen your post (and answered it in my previous reply).

The main thing I'd say is you don't need 32GB of RAM if your main priority is playing FM.  You could probably go for a smaller SSD as well.

https://www.steg-electronics.ch/fr/product/asus-tuf-gaming-f15-fx506hcb-hn143t-15-6-fhd-i7h-16gb-512gb-ssd-rtx-3050-w10h-28677495  

The one above has the same CPU, which is the main thing for FM.  The graphics card is a little bit lower spec (but still more than enough for FM at max settings), and has 512GB SSD and 16GB RAM and saves you 400 euros over the other one.

il y a 26 minutes, kevhamster a dit :

Sorry, I've only just seen your post (and answered it in my previous reply).

The main thing I'd say is you don't need 32GB of RAM if your main priority is playing FM.  You could probably go for a smaller SSD as well.

https://www.steg-electronics.ch/fr/product/asus-tuf-gaming-f15-fx506hcb-hn143t-15-6-fhd-i7h-16gb-512gb-ssd-rtx-3050-w10h-28677495  

The one above has the same CPU, which is the main thing for FM.  The graphics card is a little bit lower spec (but still more than enough for FM at max settings), and has 512GB SSD and 16GB RAM and saves you 400 euros over the other one.

Don't be sorry, I was kidding! And I read and learned a lot from you and smurf. So thank you !

Some technical support please! My new laptop is playing up already :rolleyes:

Last night I was connected to an external monitor with FM on that and the football on the laptop screen. A flurry of purple pixels streaked across the external display and the laptop restarted. When it restarted the external display was no longer detected.

Looking in device manager under display adapters there was a yellow exclamation mark by the NVIDA GeForce RTX 3060 GPU icon and in Properties I can see that it is "Code 43". So I've done various things like disable that, reboot, reenable. That clears the exclamation mark temporarily but it reappears after another reboot.

I've rolled the NVIDIA drivers back but that made no difference. I've obviously validated that it isn't a monitor or cable issue as my work laptop has no issues getting the external monitor to work.

Am I missing an obvious thing here? Does it sound like the graphics card / HDMI port might be screwed or is there more troubleshooting I can do?

EDIT: Tried a System Restore too but that hasn't helped.

1 hour ago, RTHerringbone said:

Last night I was connected to an external monitor with FM on that and the football on the laptop screen. A flurry of purple pixels streaked across the external display and the laptop restarted. When it restarted the external display was no longer detected.

Looking in device manager under display adapters there was a yellow exclamation mark by the NVIDA GeForce RTX 3060 GPU icon and in Properties I can see that it is "Code 43". So I've done various things like disable that, reboot, reenable. That clears the exclamation mark temporarily but it reappears after another reboot.

I've rolled the NVIDIA drivers back but that made no difference. I've obviously validated that it isn't a monitor or cable issue as my work laptop has no issues getting the external monitor to work.

Am I missing an obvious thing here? Does it sound like the graphics card / HDMI port might be screwed or is there more troubleshooting I can do?

It sounds like corrupt drivers to me and If nobody comes forward with a fix my advice would be to reinstall windows.  Its usually a last resort but it should be less bother as its a new machine.

The options are described here - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/how-to-refresh-reset-or-restore-your-pc-51391d9a-eb0a-84a7-69e4-c2c1fbceb8dd

Obviously wait for a bit though to see if anyone can provide a fix.

Worst case scenario is it could be a a hardware issue and you may have to send it back

Edited by Brother Ben

2 hours ago, Brother Ben said:

It sounds like corrupt drivers to me and If nobody comes forward with a fix my advice would be to reinstall windows.  Its usually a last resort but it should be less bother as its a new machine.

The options are described here - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/how-to-refresh-reset-or-restore-your-pc-51391d9a-eb0a-84a7-69e4-c2c1fbceb8dd

Obviously wait for a bit though to see if anyone can provide a fix.

Worst case scenario is it could be a a hardware issue and you may have to send it back

Cheers. I tried that anyway but it didn't work, exactly the same happens again. A look around online suggests that NVIDIA aren't brilliant with their updates and Code 43 seems to have a load of "fixes" suggested online, but none of them worked for me!

I'll have to see what the retailer says.....

4 hours ago, RTHerringbone said:

EDIT: Tried a System Restore too but that hasn't helped.

Contact Nvidia support.

35 minutes ago, Smurf said:

Contact Nvidia support.

They were useless :D

After repeatedly asking me if I had checked that all drivers were up to date, they genuinely asked me to just reboot my laptop to see if that fixed it (!)

Oddly enough....it didn't. I think I'll hassle Box.co.uk now.

58 minutes ago, RTHerringbone said:

They were useless :D

After repeatedly asking me if I had checked that all drivers were up to date, they genuinely asked me to just reboot my laptop to see if that fixed it (!)

Oddly enough....it didn't. I think I'll hassle Box.co.uk now.

Well I found their service and customer support very good.

Maybe try again

On 12/11/2021 at 15:04, kevhamster said:

I don't know about an increase in text sharpness for FM - the main benefit will be in being able to have more info on the screen at once?

It is worth the extra money?  Just for FM, I would personally say no given the extra cost involved but it's entirely down to whether you're happy to spend that extra money.  I play in 1080p and have no issues.

The Gigabyte one is an excellent spec for FM.  Although, in fairness all four are excellent.

Just had a really good look today on what laptop gives more for your money etc. I am buying it for football manager but I may want to play horizon 5 when I’m not home and halo alone with fable and other Xbox games via game pass.

I read that you need 100w or more for the graphics cards to get the best out of them and the gigabyte g7 power for graphics card is quite low. I think legion 7 is great spec wise but other than screen the legion 5 is just as good with the specs being the same. I think both screens are Dolby digital but the 7 has 500 nits while the 5 has 300

going to order this on Monday https://www.overclockers.co.uk/lenovo-legion-5-nvidia-rtx-3060-16gb-17.3-fhd-ips-144hz-ryzen-7-5800h-gaming-laptop-lt-01w-lv.html battery is better than the legion 7. I think legion 7 is £300 more for better display but graphics card is one model down 

this is the gigabyte model https://www.overclockers.co.uk/gigabyte-g7-nvidia-rtx-3050-ti-16gb-17.3-240hz-i7-11800h-gaming-laptop-lt-0dw-gi.html  As I said the power towards graphics card is low. I will be playing football manager majority of time it’s just I rather spend £100 more or around that in case I do want to do something in future as it’s cheaper than buying new laptop after finding doesn’t do what I want it to do 😃

This is the legion 7 yes I would like hdr etc but the legion 5 has Dolby picture but dpi is a bit less and unsure if it has hdr oh and as I stated legion 5 has 300 nits compared to 500. I don’t think those things are worth the extra £300 and I was only going to spend around 800-900 originally . I just wanted your thoughts guys before ordering one on Monday 

just seen this is legion 5 with 3070 card so think I will go for this one. https://www.overclockers.co.uk/lenovo-legion-5-nvidia-rtx-3070-16gb-17.3-fhd-ips-144hz-ryzen-7-5800h-gaming-laptop-lt-01x-lv.html

Edited by Tony7

6 hours ago, jamescrews1 said:

https://www.box.co.uk/30031893-Medion-Erazer-P25-AMD-Ryzen-7-16GB-RAM-5_3820600.html 

lads  i got this laptop and having crash dump with fm about graphics issue  all drivers are up to date surely this laptop good enough for fm or have i messed up buying this any help much apprenticed 

Hard to know what the issue is here. 

How are you updating the graphics driver?

Can you save the crash dump?

Can but the window key and your dxdiag and save the text file and post here?

I suggest the support site there's a contact option 

https://support.sega.com/hc/en-gb/sections/4409218577169-Technical-Issues

Or contact Medion or Nvidia support.

*edit* found this https://www.footballmanagerblog.org/2018/04/football-manager-crash-dump-error-fix.html

Edited by Smurf

12 hours ago, Tony7 said:

Just had a really good look today on what laptop gives more for your money etc. I am buying it for football manager but I may want to play horizon 5 when I’m not home and halo alone with fable and other Xbox games via game pass.

I read that you need 100w or more for the graphics cards to get the best out of them and the gigabyte g7 power for graphics card is quite low. I think legion 7 is great spec wise but other than screen the legion 5 is just as good with the specs being the same. I think both screens are Dolby digital but the 7 has 500 nits while the 5 has 300

going to order this on Monday https://www.overclockers.co.uk/lenovo-legion-5-nvidia-rtx-3060-16gb-17.3-fhd-ips-144hz-ryzen-7-5800h-gaming-laptop-lt-01w-lv.html battery is better than the legion 7. I think legion 7 is £300 more for better display but graphics card is one model down 

this is the gigabyte model https://www.overclockers.co.uk/gigabyte-g7-nvidia-rtx-3050-ti-16gb-17.3-240hz-i7-11800h-gaming-laptop-lt-0dw-gi.html  As I said the power towards graphics card is low. I will be playing football manager majority of time it’s just I rather spend £100 more or around that in case I do want to do something in future as it’s cheaper than buying new laptop after finding doesn’t do what I want it to do 😃

This is the legion 7 yes I would like hdr etc but the legion 5 has Dolby picture but dpi is a bit less and unsure if it has hdr oh and as I stated legion 5 has 300 nits compared to 500. I don’t think those things are worth the extra £300 and I was only going to spend around 800-900 originally . I just wanted your thoughts guys before ordering one on Monday 

just seen this is legion 5 with 3070 card so think I will go for this one. https://www.overclockers.co.uk/lenovo-legion-5-nvidia-rtx-3070-16gb-17.3-fhd-ips-144hz-ryzen-7-5800h-gaming-laptop-lt-01x-lv.html

Yeah, that last one will do the job very nicely. 

2 hours ago, kevhamster said:

Yeah, that last one will do the job very nicely. 

Thank you and thanks to you and Smurf for your patience and help. I think I have finally decided on the laptop and going for the one you said will do nicely. Specs are fantastic especially for the price although only 1 year warranty. I may well play football manager majority of the time but it will do the job for horizon 5, halo etc nicely too.

my only remaining uncertain is do you think it would be worth paying a bit extra or getting a model down graphics card and going for a better screen qhd 2k 500 nits? I’m guessing no but I’m not the expert that’s why I’m asking you guys 😀

Im guessing 500 nits is only important if viewing screen is bright room or outdoors in sunshine is that correct? I know the higher the number the better the screen but unsure when it would actually be useful. I know colours are meant to be brighter too.

2k screen apparently makes the txt sharper but noticeable in games but sounds might be good for football manager as that’s txt and surfing net just want reassuring that the screen is fine and go for the higher spec graphics card. I would go for the highest specs I can for two reasons one so I’m not thinking to myself oh for a little bit more I could have got that and two I want it to last without upgrading for a while 

I had originally planned spending £700 to £800 but then thought I like horizon Im at my girlfriend most of the weekends if not all the weekends and when she has a knapp I can play games so might as well pay a bit more. I have series x and ps5 but I can now Game while at hers and can play football manager while she watches tv and when I’m home I can watch tv while playing football manager. I live with my elderly mum so can also chat and watch her italian tv rubbish while playing football manager

I’m looking at getting a new apple device but haven’t decided which one yet. Currently considering between an MacBook (M1), Minimac (M1) or the new iMac (M1) - was looking to know if anyone had any issues experience with any of the devices and how FM performs on them?

Macbook is ideally the most convenient but the screen size seems pretty small hence why I’ve been considering the mini Mac or iMac. 

13 minutes ago, ScottishFM said:

I’m looking at getting a new apple device but haven’t decided which one yet. Currently considering between an MacBook (M1), Minimac (M1) or the new iMac (M1) - was looking to know if anyone had any issues experience with any of the devices and how FM performs on them?

Macbook is ideally the most convenient but the screen size seems pretty small hence why I’ve been considering the mini Mac or iMac. 

Any Mac will do.

Screen size is up to you.

Good evening fellow managers,

I currently play FM on my PC, however as I will be going to uni next year I have begun looking at laptops to use then. Currently looking at: https://www.samsung.com/uk/pc/galaxy-book/galaxy-book-15inch-i7-8gb-512gb-np750xda-kdbuk/ which has the added bonus of fitting into my samsung ecosystem (phone, watch, earphones etc). Will this be able to handle the game relatively well? I Normally play with England, France, Germany, Spain, Italy and Portugal loaded on a large database, with 3d graphics within a match. Or could you reccommend anything similar within that price range?

Thanks!

9 hours ago, Punkyy said:

Good evening fellow managers,

I currently play FM on my PC, however as I will be going to uni next year I have begun looking at laptops to use then. Currently looking at: https://www.samsung.com/uk/pc/galaxy-book/galaxy-book-15inch-i7-8gb-512gb-np750xda-kdbuk/ which has the added bonus of fitting into my samsung ecosystem (phone, watch, earphones etc). Will this be able to handle the game relatively well? I Normally play with England, France, Germany, Spain, Italy and Portugal loaded on a large database, with 3d graphics within a match. Or could you reccommend anything similar within that price range?

Thanks!

Seems to be a nice piece of kit. 

2 minutes ago, thnigelfc said:

Thanks kevhamster, this does look good but other one has a 17.3" screen?

If the bigger screen is more important to you, then yes the one you've linked is the best at the price.

The other one has a better CPU and graphics card, so it's up to you what your personal priority is.  The one you've linked is still very capable.

15 hours ago, Peter G said:

I wouldn't.  It has a low powered laptop CPU in it,

This is a much better bet for the same sort of price: https://www.box.co.uk/44G60ESABU-HP-295-G6-AMD-Ryzen-5-8GB-RAM-512GB-SSD-_3955032.html

morning all,

I'm stepping back into the black hole of FM, having missed out on 21. What is your view on this spec, will it be fine/bearable/eye wateringly slow? I'm not fussed about the highest detail levels or loading every league, although I would like the option to possibly manage in a few countries depending on how my save goes.

Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8750H CPU @ 2.20GHz   2.20 GHz
Installed RAM    16.0 GB (15.9 GB usable)
Product ID    00325-81131-16598-AAOEM
System type    64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

29 minutes ago, burdinho said:

morning all,

I'm stepping back into the black hole of FM, having missed out on 21. What is your view on this spec, will it be fine/bearable/eye wateringly slow? I'm not fussed about the highest detail levels or loading every league, although I would like the option to possibly manage in a few countries depending on how my save goes.

Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8750H CPU @ 2.20GHz   2.20 GHz
Installed RAM    16.0 GB (15.9 GB usable)
Product ID    00325-81131-16598-AAOEM
System type    64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

Should be ok.  Benchmarks suggest it's still fairly decent.

If you don't have a dedicated graphics card, you'll likely need to turn 3D graphics settings down to lower presets.

Hi gents, looking for some advice on the best laptop for under £400, I've read the advice at the start of the thread but I'm pretty hopeless with technology so any advice would be appreciated. I've played the last 4/5 football managers on a HP Pavillion and it's been decent but has seen better days so before I buy FM22 I want to get a new laptop.

I don't really use one for anything other than FM, downloading the odd film and a bit of basic printing out documents so don't want to be spending too much that's why my limit is around 400 quid, it's a bit of a minefield so what's my best options in my price range? Thanks in advance guys. 

4 hours ago, Tdoe94 said:

Yep, that's got a decent CPU and decent integrated graphics, so should manage medium settings or higher on the 3D graphics.

1 hour ago, AkkyBFC said:

Hi gents, looking for some advice on the best laptop for under £400, I've read the advice at the start of the thread but I'm pretty hopeless with technology so any advice would be appreciated. I've played the last 4/5 football managers on a HP Pavillion and it's been decent but has seen better days so before I buy FM22 I want to get a new laptop.

I don't really use one for anything other than FM, downloading the odd film and a bit of basic printing out documents so don't want to be spending too much that's why my limit is around 400 quid, it's a bit of a minefield so what's my best options in my price range? Thanks in advance guys. 

Best I can see as a new model is this: https://www.box.co.uk/AVITA-LIBER-NS14A8UKV542-MB-Avita-Liber-V-14-Pro-Ryzen-5-8GB-RAM-256_3355367.html

On 15/11/2021 at 15:21, kevhamster said:

If the bigger screen is more important to you, then yes the one you've linked is the best at the price.

The other one has a better CPU and graphics card, so it's up to you what your personal priority is.  The one you've linked is still very capable.

Thanks kevhamster if there's nothing better than the medion erazer then that's the one for me ..Thanks

16 hours ago, kevhamster said:

Appreciate the advice mate. Looking at the specs compared to ones I've found myself on the likes of Argos, Currys etc, they do look good. My concern is I've never heard of the brand..... granted, I'm far from an expert when it comes to laptops but are Avita a decent make?

Came across what I thought were some decent looking machines whilst I was searching, but had to compromise on one of either RAM/Processor/CPU which for my budget is to be expected I suppose. I can't remember exactly but I found one that had something like a 1.4gz processor, turbo boosted to 2.4ghz which confused me no end 😂

Again, I really appreciate any advice.

56 minutes ago, AkkyBFC said:

Just been looking into it a bit more and I've come across the same laptop on Box's ebay store, with a voucher I can get it for £324..... seems like a bargain. Thoughts?

If you can get the same spec for £324, and you're still getting a full 12 month warranty, then that seems like a good deal.

In terms of the brand, I've seen their laptops on the stores but don't know anything about them specifically.  I just base it on the spec of the laptop and take it from there.  My suggestion would be, if you're unsure, see if you can find reviews and see what they say.