FM24 - PC/Laptop advice thread *** PLEASE READ OPENING POST BEFORE POSTING ***

1 hour ago, JDoodson said:

Is there much difference between this laptop and the Honor Magicbook you recommended earlier? I have absolutely no idea when it comes to laptops😂

The differences are the SSD size (the Honorbook has 512GB and this one has 256GB) and the screen size (14" on the Honorbook and 15.6" on the other one).

Same CPU and same RAM size (I just can't see the specs for the RAM speed on the Asus model), so FM performance should be pretty much the same on both.

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi

I'm looking for a new laptop because my current one is just a cheap one that cannot handle FM very well. Ideally, I'd like to spend around £500. I can go a bit higher if necessary. I don't really play too many games other than FM and would want to play with a database of at least 5 or so leagues. 

I've been having a look but I'm not very knowledge on laptops so would this be a good buy? The Windows 8GB version, I have a 10% discount code. Or are there any other good recommendations for that sort of price. 

https://www.lenovo.com/gb/en/laptops/ideapad/l-series/IdeaPad-L340-15IRH-Gaming/p/88IPL301161

Thanks for your help

Edited by lewisgt

So I just cracked my screen on my 13'' MacBook Pro (2017): 

• 2,3 GHz Dual Core Intel Core i5 
  • Intel iris Plus graphics 640 1536 MB 

I was going to have it fixed (would probably cost around 300€ - 600€) But I’m now very tempted to buy a new MacBook Pro either the M1 13’’ or the M1 Pro 14’’. I was just wondering if it’s worth the extra 800€ for the M1 Pro? Im running a Journeyman save so the processor upgrade would really make sense but I haven’t really found much difference between the M1 and M1 Pro. Also I use the 3D match-engine a lot so I’d prefer to run as high settings as possible, but really I just want it to run very smooth. I also usually connect my laptop with my 4k LG monitor (UL850-W) through the USB-C. But the M1 Pro 14’’ has an HDMI and the M1 13’’ doesn’t. Does it matter graphic wise in the match engine if the M1 pro has an HDMI or can I just buy an adapter for the M1 13´´ or maybe even just keeping the USB-C? (This might be the wrong place to ask that question so ignore it if it is) Other info: 

• I want a computer with a great screen to watch movies. 
  • I don’t need to edit movies. 
  • Normal schoolwork. 
  • 256 GB storage is enough for me (which is the lowest on the M1 13’’) 
  • The M1 Pro 14’’ has 16GB- Ram and the M1 13’’ has 8GB (Will I be able to Run FM on my LG monitor and multitask on my laptop at the same time with the 8GB?, it's not a requirement for me just a preference) 
  • I’ve seen that some of you recommend the new M1 MacbookAir for it’s great value which i agree, it is. But I’ve had an Air before and I much prefer the Pro.

As Im typing all this Im realizing the M1 might be enough but I still can't decide xD 

Thank you!

51 minutes ago, Bazze said:

So I just cracked my screen on my 13'' MacBook Pro (2017): 

• 2,3 GHz Dual Core Intel Core i5 
  • Intel iris Plus graphics 640 1536 MB 

I was going to have it fixed (would probably cost around 300€ - 600€) But I’m now very tempted to buy a new MacBook Pro either the M1 13’’ or the M1 Pro 14’’. I was just wondering if it’s worth the extra 800€ for the M1 Pro? Im running a Journeyman save so the processor upgrade would really make sense but I haven’t really found much difference between the M1 and M1 Pro. Also I use the 3D match-engine a lot so I’d prefer to run as high settings as possible, but really I just want it to run very smooth. I also usually connect my laptop with my 4k LG monitor (UL850-W) through the USB-C. But the M1 Pro 14’’ has an HDMI and the M1 13’’ doesn’t. Does it matter graphic wise in the match engine if the M1 pro has an HDMI or can I just buy an adapter for the M1 13´´ or maybe even just keeping the USB-C? (This might be the wrong place to ask that question so ignore it if it is) Other info: 

• I want a computer with a great screen to watch movies. 
  • I don’t need to edit movies. 
  • Normal schoolwork. 
  • 256 GB storage is enough for me (which is the lowest on the M1 13’’) 
  • The M1 Pro 14’’ has 16GB- Ram and the M1 13’’ has 8GB (Will I be able to Run FM on my LG monitor and multitask on my laptop at the same time with the 8GB?, it's not a requirement for me just a preference) 
  • I’ve seen that some of you recommend the new M1 MacbookAir for it’s great value which i agree, it is. But I’ve had an Air before and I much prefer the Pro.

As Im typing all this Im realizing the M1 might be enough but I still can't decide xD 

Thank you!

Any Mac with the m1 will be fine.

Take your max budget and buy the most expensive one you can afford.

There are no upgrade paths for the Mac.

Take a look at the bench mark thread for an idea.

Personally, aside from the 13 inch MacBook air, the rest are a collosal amount of money 

A few posts back I recommended two laptops that would be on par with the lower end m1.

But you probably don't want a PC laptop.

To answer your question about the m1 and lack of display port options, you can look these up, most I see is buying adapters.

But a lot of people have good results.

There's no denying it, Mac's are expensive. If you're sure it's what you want, then go for the very top of your budget.

5 hours ago, mgtprobo said:

@Smurf @kevhamster what do you think of the below? Is it good value at £679? Or is there better value out there?

https://ao.com/product/4h5b6eaabu-hp-victus-laptop-charcoal-86114-251.aspx

thank you

If it is £679 (that's not the price showing for me) it's an excellent deal. 

Hi everyone, I've had a browse through this thread and noticed that no one has really asked about whether FM 2022 can run on the Microsoft Surface. May I check if the following Microsoft Surface laptop with the following specs would be able to run FM 2022?

https://www.courts.com.sg/microsoft-surface-pro-7-i5-8gb-128gb-platinum-vdv-00012-12-3in-intel-core-i5-1035g4-8gb-128gb-ssd-win-10-home-ip156797

I'm interested in getting a Surface as I would like to play on the go, especially during my commute. Would also appreciate it if anyone is able to recommend cheaper alternatives that are similar to the Surface. Thanks in advance!

Edited by noboruhigashi

Not based in the UK but I've got my eyes on this:

https://www.box.co.uk/FX506LH-HN004-ASUS-TUF-GAMING-F15-(No-OS-Model)-Intel-_3609897.html

I'll get Windows 10 plus the free upgrade to Windows 11 and the GFX is a GeForce 1650 Ti where I'm based for the same model. It's around my budget (£550-£650).

Mainly to play FM and I'm not overly bothered about super high performance/graphics on other games. I'd be happy if I got to play something like Forza or Witcher on medium settings with a smooth performance.  Just a personal laptop, so apart from streaming and gaming I'm not really going to be using it for much else.

Thoughts? Or can I do better for the price?

3 hours ago, rafaelbenitez said:

Not based in the UK but I've got my eyes on this:

https://www.box.co.uk/FX506LH-HN004-ASUS-TUF-GAMING-F15-(No-OS-Model)-Intel-_3609897.html

I'll get Windows 10 plus the free upgrade to Windows 11 and the GFX is a GeForce 1650 Ti where I'm based for the same model. It's around my budget (£550-£650).

Mainly to play FM and I'm not overly bothered about super high performance/graphics on other games. I'd be happy if I got to play something like Forza or Witcher on medium settings with a smooth performance.  Just a personal laptop, so apart from streaming and gaming I'm not really going to be using it for much else.

Thoughts? Or can I do better for the price?

That's a good deal. to be fair.  Although, without knowing what other deals are on where you are, it's hard to say whether it's the best you could get.

21 minutes ago, kevhamster said:

That's a good deal. to be fair.  Although, without knowing what other deals are on where you are, it's hard to say whether it's the best you could get.

Thanks for the reply! I can't find better configurations within that price range so I'm happy to go with it.

18 hours ago, Smurf said:

@ConnorNot the best data set - but it was just an example of how I can compare - I did this in a hurry - and lost my original post.
This was a 2nd attempt and I didn't clearly capture my data correctly in the screenshots.

But it's just to show you how I would normally compare for someone - and the steps I go through to ensure that they are being looked after. 

Again not all Laptops are being benchmarked -so it's difficult - we have to extrapolate the data and make a judgement call.

No, totally understand your point Smurf and where your coming from.

But as someone, who works on definitive information, as I only buy a PC/MAC purely for FM, benchmarking for me is the "go to" data set I refer to, in order to then try and make as safe a purchase as possible (For a 13" laptop, purely for FM, I think it's pretty well considered now that the M1 Macbook Air is pretty much the best pick, when factoring in both PPP (Performance Per Pound) and the Benchmarking Tests... which is a great source data for reassuring people when buying, purely for FM)

Your logic makes sense and "should" transfer to FM and playing it in a real world scenario, but when spending circa 900/1K GBP, I try to minimise risk and work on a definite (i.e. will)

I am sure and hope your input is appreciated by a lot of people here

Edited by Connor

Looking for a laptop under a grand.  Other than FM I mainly play stuff like Civ and AoE and my current five year old laptop is starting to bump up against the min spec for the latest versions of these.  Found this https://www.box.co.uk/NH.QBCEK.008-Acer-Nitro-5-(2021)-AMD-Ryzen-7-16GB-RAM_3557433.html which looks decent but I'm far from expert especially when it comes to things like Intel vs AMD processors (I currently have an i7-7700 FWIW). Any help appreciated!

10 minutes ago, RicheyJames75 said:

Looking for a laptop under a grand.  Other than FM I mainly play stuff like Civ and AoE and my current five year old laptop is starting to bump up against the min spec for the latest versions of these.  Found this https://www.box.co.uk/NH.QBCEK.008-Acer-Nitro-5-(2021)-AMD-Ryzen-7-16GB-RAM_3557433.html which looks decent but I'm far from expert especially when it comes to things like Intel vs AMD processors (I currently have an i7-7700 FWIW). Any help appreciated!

Very good for the price, especially taking into account the 1TB SSD.

Excellent CPU and graphics card, and 16GB RAM.  I'd go for it.

11 minutes ago, cimspa said:

All things considered, I'd go for this one:

https://www.box.co.uk/39P48EAABU-HP-Pavilion-15-ec1002na-AMD-Ryzen-5-8GB-_3561212.html

Best CPU and includes a dedicated graphics card.

1 hour ago, Connor said:

No, totally understand your point Smurf and where your coming from.

But as someone, who works on definitive information, as I only buy a PC/MAC purely for FM, benchmarking for me is the "go to" data set I refer to, in order to then try and make as safe a purchase as possible (For a 13" laptop, purely for FM, I think it's pretty well considered now that the M1 Macbook Air is pretty much the best pick, when factoring in both PPP (Performance Per Pound) and the Benchmarking Tests... which is a great source data for reassuring people when buying, purely for FM)

Your logic makes sense and "should" transfer to FM and playing it in a real world scenario, but when spending circa 900/1K GBP, I try to minimise risk and work on a definite (i.e. will)

I am sure and hope your input is appreciated by a lot of people here

You can't make qualified statement from limited data sets.

The benchmark is only good when looking at same build, really.

I don't agree any more that the m1 Mac is best 13 inch.

It's good but there are other options, especially for someone who doesn't want a Mac.

Option is there.

Mac or PC.

With mac pick any of the m1 processors.

With PC you have to know what processors to look for.

And that's a real problem.

38 minutes ago, Smurf said:

You can't make qualified statement from limited data sets.

The benchmark is only good when looking at same build, really.

I don't agree any more that the m1 Mac is best 13 inch.

It's good but there are other options, especially for someone who doesn't want a Mac.

Option is there.

Mac or PC.

With mac pick any of the m1 processors.

With PC you have to know what processors to look for.

And that's a real problem.

The benchmark data is the only (and most comprehensive) data set you have available for FM though, before you purchase (especially because you are comparing options which have not been released or benchmarked, thats more limited in terms of data by definition)

35 minutes ago, Connor said:

The benchmark data is the only (and most comprehensive) data set you have available for FM though, before you purchase (especially because you are comparing options which have not been released or benchmarked, thats more limited in terms of data by definition)

You can't compare every processor.

It's a good list - but need more data samples.

I agree - about the benchmark thread. It's very useful.

But at the end of the day there is such a variety of laptops for portability, desktop replacement, and different processors from intel and amd.

It's a guessing game - but an educated guessing game.

As I said - notebookchecker was recommended by the game developers themselves - who am I to argue with them?

I currently have a 14", 16:9 screen on my laptop. I find I need to use the zoom at 125% to make the viewing comfortable. I don't have bad eyesight - it just gets a bit hard to look at when smaller. Even so, I find FM Touch (or now Xbox Edition for PC) fine, but full fat still feels like it needs a bigger screen as it seems to try to cram more info in.

I'm considering getting the new XPS 15 which is 15.6" at a 16:10 aspect ratio. I like the sound of 16:10 as it will mean websites look better, instead of having a banner ad at the top take up half the screen.

Will that, however, be big enough to make full fat FM a comfortable experience though, even at 125% zoom - given that although it will be a taller screen, it won't be quite as wide as a normal 16:9 15 incher? Can't see me getting a 17" just for FM!

Thoughts appreciated from those that use a similar size laptop.

6 hours ago, Connor said:

256gb SSD is on the small side, I only play FM (dont have any other games) or big files. so fine for me, but something to consider

That’s exactly the same for my step son. That’s what he only wants it for. 

3 hours ago, Vlowman said:

I currently have a 14", 16:9 screen on my laptop. I find I need to use the zoom at 125% to make the viewing comfortable. I don't have bad eyesight - it just gets a bit hard to look at when smaller. Even so, I find FM Touch (or now Xbox Edition for PC) fine, but full fat still feels like it needs a bigger screen as it seems to try to cram more info in.

I'm considering getting the new XPS 15 which is 15.6" at a 16:10 aspect ratio. I like the sound of 16:10 as it will mean websites look better, instead of having a banner ad at the top take up half the screen.

Will that, however, be big enough to make full fat FM a comfortable experience though, even at 125% zoom - given that although it will be a taller screen, it won't be quite as wide as a normal 16:9 15 incher? Can't see me getting a 17" just for FM!

Thoughts appreciated from those that use a similar size laptop.

I wonder if a 16inch laptop would suit you more, https://www.dell.com/en-uk/shop/laptops/new-inspiron-16-plus/spd/inspiron-16-7610-laptop/cn76107sc if you go for the NVIDIA® GeForce RTX™ 3050, 4 GB GDDR6 graphic card It’s £976 with code EARLY15 

It might not be the dell XPS in terms of design but it’s still a beast of a device for half the price really. 

Previously bought a laptop on recommendations on here and wondered if I could ask where to buy a Chromebook for a 16 year old going to College to complete basic assignments, watch youtube/netflix etc. It's not a FM based question but sometimes there are sites outside of the high street where you recommend to buy from which give you more for your £? Budget around £250ish

Hi all, new to this forum and was searching for threads specifically for FM on apples new M1 chips. 

I am debating whether to take the plunge and buy a M1 Imac 24 inch or patiently wait for the 27 inch to be released probably with pro/max chips. Currently i have a late 2014 27 inch iMac. Used to play FM really well but over the years has slowed down and now cant play the game unless with settings on low for 3d graphics.

Im integrated into the apple eco system so only will consider macs not window machines. Im aware even if apple announce the 27inch models next march due to the chip shortages it could be early summer earliest before they are shipped. hence why i'm thinking about the 24 inch model. Price is secondary in reality i just want to understand performance. However i need to understand how FM22 plays on the machine ideally if i am to take the plunge. I dont think my current iMac has long life left in it in al honesty. 

If i were to buy the M1 24 inch iMac i would get the following specs

• 8 core CPU & 8 core GPU
  • 16gb memory
  • 512 gb SSD

So my question is - is there anyone currently playing FM22 on an iMac 24 inch M1 machine ? i see a lot of posts about the MacBooks but not the desktop. 

If so what i really want to know / find out is how well the game plays including 3d match engine? i generally only play with 5/6 leagues playable for multiple seasons mainly due to my current computer specs. However i would like to be able to play more if i choose to. Main importance would be the match engine playing with no lag or stuttering in high quality though.

Also finally, long shot i know has anyone gone down from a 27 inch to the 24 inch? if so how have you found it adapting to size of the screen and any downsides playing FM22 on it etc? 

Thanks in advance

7 hours ago, ANDM said:

However i need to understand how FM22 plays on the machine ideally if i am to take the plunge. I

Check the benchmark thread.

It will play like any other mid to top end machine. Very well.

You could get the Mac mini and buy a 27 inch monitor.

Or get the 24 inch and a 2nd larger display.

When looking at the new Mac's any of them will run FM well.

Go top end of your budget, there's no upgrade paths for the Mac.

Get the most for your money you can with you first buy.

Edited by Smurf

On 19/11/2021 at 20:16, zakbrown96 said:

I wonder if a 16inch laptop would suit you more, https://www.dell.com/en-uk/shop/laptops/new-inspiron-16-plus/spd/inspiron-16-7610-laptop/cn76107sc if you go for the NVIDIA® GeForce RTX™ 3050, 4 GB GDDR6 graphic card It’s £976 with code EARLY15 

It might not be the dell XPS in terms of design but it’s still a beast of a device for half the price really. 

Thanks mate. I have actually spotted that one too. You can even get it with a 3060 which might be nice. Just can’t quite get over my long term coveting of the XPS 15 though! Was it Currys today using Dr Benjy YouTube videos to imagine how FM would look on it 😂 

Hi, I’m looking buy a new laptop for fm22 looking to spend £800-1000 I usually run 10-15 leagues on a large database

https://www.box.co.uk/30031893-Medion-Erazer-P25-AMD-Ryzen-7-16GB-RAM-5_3820600.html

https://www.box.co.uk/4H2B4EAABU-Victus-by-HP-16-AMD-Ryzen-7-16GB-RAM-512_3821919.html

looking at these two is there anything better I can get within the price range? 

Any advice would be gratefully appreciated 😀

On 19/11/2021 at 21:37, kccircle said:

Previously bought a laptop on recommendations on here and wondered if I could ask where to buy a Chromebook for a 16 year old going to College to complete basic assignments, watch youtube/netflix etc. It's not a FM based question but sometimes there are sites outside of the high street where you recommend to buy from which give you more for your £? Budget around £250ish

https://www.box.co.uk/

https://ao.com/

https://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/

All these sites tend to have decent deals.  Box and Laptops Direct are both very good for their sorting options as well.

1 hour ago, Urbanscrumper said:

Hi, I’m looking buy a new laptop for fm22 looking to spend £800-1000 I usually run 10-15 leagues on a large database

https://www.box.co.uk/30031893-Medion-Erazer-P25-AMD-Ryzen-7-16GB-RAM-5_3820600.html

https://www.box.co.uk/4H2B4EAABU-Victus-by-HP-16-AMD-Ryzen-7-16GB-RAM-512_3821919.html

looking at these two is there anything better I can get within the price range? 

Any advice would be gratefully appreciated 😀

Based on what I can see, those seem to be the top sort of spec at that price.

This is a post for anyone who is considering a MacBook (M1 chip) like I was - obviously not the first device you think of when you want a gaming machine but if you're like me and just have a personal preference for apple products then here's my brief and quick review on my recently purchased MacBook Air 2020 M1.

FM runs fantastically, automatically set on high graphics and has a 5 star performance - it's arguably the quickest I've personally seen FM run on any laptops I've previously owned in the past. (Worth noting my previous laptops were £400-£500 budget Dell/Acer laptops). 

In comparison, my Dell laptop which I've replaced with this MacBook - ran on 1 star and low graphics, so it's a massive upgrade for me. I've also tried other games like CK3 and again, performs above expectations. I'm not a massive gamer but anyways, back to FM. 

The point is, if you're considering a MacBook for whatever reason and you're wondering how FM would perform? It performs perfectly. 

Edited by ScottishFM
Reiterating the point of the review being based on an M1 MacBook

1 hour ago, ScottishFM said:

This is a post for anyone who is considering a MacBook like I was - obviously not the first device you think of when you want a gaming machine but if you're like me and just have a personal preference for apple products then here's my brief and quick review on my recently purchased MacBook Air 2020 M1.

FM runs fantastically, automatically set on high graphics and has a 5 star performance - it's arguably the quickest I've personally seen FM run on any laptops I've previously owned in the past. (Worth noting my previous laptops were £400-£500 budget Dell/Acer laptops). 

In comparison, my Dell laptop which I've replaced with this MacBook - ran on 1 star and low graphics, so it's a massive upgrade for me. I've also tried other games like CK3 and again, performs above expectations. I'm not a massive gamer but anyways, back to FM. 

The point is, if you're considering a MacBook for whatever reason and you're wondering how FM would perform? It performs perfectly. 

It's important to reiterate that this is based on an M1 based Macbook, as the Intel based ones won't see the same level of performance.

5 minutes ago, Damonlufc said:

Hi guys. Anybody seen any offers (Black Friday etc) ideally for a pc (monitor (whole setup)) that will run FM22 at a good speed for around 850 please? 

(I would imagine at that price laptops are a better value for money)

Decent PC option: https://ao.com/product/3xs118091-3xs-desktop-black-87589-253.aspx

You haven't said what sort of size monitor you want, but this one looks good for the price: https://www.ebuyer.com/726131-aoc-e2270swdn-21-5-full-hd-dvi-vga-monitor-e2270swdn

@kevhamster @Smurf

I was just wondering if there is much difference in performance of laptops if I increase my budget to £700. I originally had a £500 budget and I was recommended https://www.box.co.uk/53011TDL-001-Honor-MagicBook-14-(2021)-Intel-Core-i5-_3814505.html

If I increased my budget to £700, would I be able to get a much better laptop or only minor changes? As mentioned in an earlier reply, the laptop will be used purely for FM.

thanks guys 😊

22 minutes ago, JDoodson said:

@kevhamster @Smurf

I was just wondering if there is much difference in performance of laptops if I increase my budget to £700. I originally had a £500 budget and I was recommended https://www.box.co.uk/53011TDL-001-Honor-MagicBook-14-(2021)-Intel-Core-i5-_3814505.html

If I increased my budget to £700, would I be able to get a much better laptop or only minor changes? As mentioned in an earlier reply, the laptop will be used purely for FM.

thanks guys 😊

This would be better

https://www.box.co.uk/82K200C2UK-Lenovo-ideaPad-Gaming-3-AMD-Ryzen-5-8GB-_3638079.html

Hi all, great thread here, lovely to see so many helpful people in the community. I'm looking at upgrading from my 2013 MBP and have a budget of around £1k, it would primarily be for FM, ideally with a fair few leagues and nations loaded for an in depth long term save. It'd be great to be able to play a few other games like CK3, Age of Empires 4 etc as well. Any recommendations greatly appreciated. 

2 hours ago, Grant11 said:

Hi all, great thread here, lovely to see so many helpful people in the community. I'm looking at upgrading from my 2013 MBP and have a budget of around £1k, it would primarily be for FM, ideally with a fair few leagues and nations loaded for an in depth long term save. It'd be great to be able to play a few other games like CK3, Age of Empires 4 etc as well. Any recommendations greatly appreciated. 

https://www.box.co.uk/9S7-158112-081-MSI-Katana-GF66-Intel-Core-i7-16GB-RAM-5_3632305.html