FM24 - PC/Laptop advice thread *** PLEASE READ OPENING POST BEFORE POSTING ***

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Newgenn said:

I've not pulled the trigger yet on this https://www.costco.co.uk/Computers/Laptops-MacBooks/HP-Victus-Intel-Core-i5-16GB-RAM-512GB-SSD-NVIDIA-GeForce-RTX-4060-156-Inch-Gaming-Laptop-15-fa1006na/p/476077

Would you go for that at £650 or the MSI at £700? Cheers again. 

I pulled the trigger on the 16" Ryzen version with rtx 4050 for £600.  I thought the better CPU, bigger HDD, faster ram and larger screen made up for the slightly lower GPU.  And was £50 less.

59 minutes ago, markelkin81 said:

I pulled the trigger on the 16" Ryzen version with rtx 4050 for £600.  I thought the better CPU, bigger HDD, faster ram and larger screen made up for the slightly lower GPU.  And was £50 less.

Now you're giving me something to think about haha. I honestly am useless with this kind of thing. My main priority is processing time for FM. 

https://www.costco.co.uk/Computers/Laptops-MacBooks/HP-VICTUS-AMD-Ryzen-5-16GB-RAM-1TB-SSD-NVIDIA-GeForce-RTX-4050-161-Inch-Gaming-Laptop-16-s0005na/p/476047

Is this the one you've bought? 

Edited by Newgenn

4 hours ago, The Solman said:

Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1

Ok, the game will run if you're on MacOS 11 or later.  However, in terms of how the game runs I don't imagine it'd be too quick and it probably won't handle the 3D graphics too well.

You'd definitely get a better experience if you're able to upgrade to a newer computer, but you will at least be able to play the game if you don't mind slower processing and lower 3D graphics settings.

On the plus side, FM24's processing is the quickest in the series to date, so that will at least help a bit on that score.

4 hours ago, Bazbarnes2006 said:

Hi, would this laptop run FM24 ok? Thanks in advanceIMG_8363.thumb.png.902eb025f995454c732b29b667b017f8.png

It appears to be this one: https://www.very.co.uk/lenovo-ideapad-3-amd-ryzen-7-16gb-ram-512gb-ssd-156in-full-hd-laptop-arctic-grey/1600944335.prd

Would be OK for FM24, hard to say how it'll be with FM25 and beyond though without a dedicated graphics card.

1 hour ago, Newgenn said:

Now you're giving me something to think about haha. I honestly am useless with this kind of thing. My main priority is processing time for FM. 

https://www.costco.co.uk/Computers/Laptops-MacBooks/HP-VICTUS-AMD-Ryzen-5-16GB-RAM-1TB-SSD-NVIDIA-GeForce-RTX-4050-161-Inch-Gaming-Laptop-16-s0005na/p/476047

Both CPU's score fairly closely, so I think you'd see similar processing times with both.

It is honestly a situation where you can't really go wrong with either of those two.

7 hours ago, Newgenn said:

Yes that's it.  CPU and ram are faster than the £650 one and bigger screen and HDD.   Which I think is better long term than a slight GPU improvement. (Approx 10%)  As GPU isn't the main thing for FM.   The 4050 will also cope with future FM releases no problems.  So you don't lose anything there.  Anyway it's up to you. 

Hi, I'm buying a new laptop to operate FM24..

I have some questions, hopefully someone can answer me:

1. Can an integrated/shared VGA card operate the game for 3D matches just fine?

2. What's the least RAM I should buy for the laptop?

Thanks in advance!

19 minutes ago, Scorpious said:

Thanks in advance!

1. Yes, but not necessarily at the highest settings.  However, we don't know what the system requirements will be for FM25, only that they will increase, so we're currently making the assumption that it's best to consider a dedicated graphics card.

2. 8GB at an absolute minimum, but really 16GB or more is ideal.

37 minutes ago, Scorpious said:

Thanks in advance!

To add to what @kevhamster has said, if you especially want to go for a laptop that relies on an iGPU look out for higher end AMD processors with 680m or 780m graphics. By some distance they are the most capable iGPUs currently. Honestly though I'd recommend trading down on the processor in order to get a dedicated GPU as a preference to this

1 hour ago, natyd said:

That's a solid choice.  It was one I was concidering before I grabbed the hp deal from Costco for £600.   That said , it's worth noting the lenovo doesn't come with any OS..so you would need to factor in getting windows if thats an issue 

1 hour ago, markelkin81 said:

That's a solid choice.  It was one I was concidering before I grabbed the hp deal from Costco for £600.   That said , it's worth noting the lenovo doesn't come with any OS..so you would need to factor in getting windows if thats an issue 

Yh i can get windows 11 product key from cd keys for around 10 15 quid which is ok but am not sure how hard it is to actually install the OS 

3 hours ago, natyd said:

Yh i can get windows 11 product key from cd keys for around 10 15 quid which is ok but am not sure how hard it is to actually install the OS 

It's pretty easy, just make sure you download it on to a USB drive from another computer first

hi iam looking to upgrade my laptop for fm24 and with fm25 in mind not a massive budget but i have found a couple in my budget would any be ok or if not do you know of any with that would be with a max of £500 thanks ?  i also get this memory message alot to ?

Buy LENOVO IdeaPad Gaming 3 15.6" Gaming Laptop - AMD Ryzen 5, RTX 3050, 512 GB SSD | Currys

Buy ACER Aspire 3 17.3" Laptop - Intel® Core™ i3, 256 GB SSD, Silver | Currys

Buy LENOVO IdeaPad 3i 15.6" Laptop - Intel® Core™ i5, 256 GB SSD, Blue | Currys

Screenshot (1).png

Edited by blatchford85

10 minutes ago, Mdgn said:

Does the game run well on an older MacBook? Had seen some good deals on the 2019/2020 MacBooks recently 

They'll need to be running MacOS 11 or later.

To be completely honest, if it's an Intel based Macbook I'd probably avoid them.  If it's the M1 CPU, those seem to be decent.

Hi folks 

I’m looking at this basic laptop for FM24 only. No other gaming etc. My old MacBook has been fine in recent years, but can’t get it into the new Os needed unfortunately 

I wasn’t sure about the graphics card but everything else seemed ok for the requirements. I tend to stillIMG_8887.thumb.jpeg.d4b158f364126a6e5350accdc05c855a.jpeg use the 2D highlights etc anyway but wanna make sure this will run the game, even in a basic way!

If anyone sees an obvious issue with it as an option, pls do let me know.

cheers!

19 minutes ago, kevhamster said:

They'll need to be running MacOS 11 or later.

To be completely honest, if it's an Intel based Macbook I'd probably avoid them.  If it's the M1 CPU, those seem to be decent.

It’s the intel based one i see, is the game not working on the intel ones?

33 minutes ago, Mdgn said:

It’s the intel based one i see, is the game not working on the intel ones?

It'll run if it's MacOS 11 or later, it just won't be very quick and you'll need to turn the graphics settings down.  Also I suspect it'll suffer further when FM25 comes out with the increased system requirements.

41 minutes ago, worksofant said:

Hi folks 

I’m looking at this basic laptop for FM24 only. No other gaming etc. My old MacBook has been fine in recent years, but can’t get it into the new Os needed unfortunately 

I wasn’t sure about the graphics card but everything else seemed ok for the requirements. I tend to stillIMG_8887.thumb.jpeg.d4b158f364126a6e5350accdc05c855a.jpeg use the 2D highlights etc anyway but wanna make sure this will run the game, even in a basic way!

If anyone sees an obvious issue with it as an option, pls do let me know.

cheers!

It'll run the game and will be ok for 2D, however I'm not sure how good that screen resolution will be for FM.  

Is it refurbished rather than brand new?  If so, I'm sure there will be better than that for the money.

10 hours ago, Gregor1 said:

Hey,

Looking to run FM with a nearly full db and purchase from argos.... are any of these good options?

Buy ASUS ROG Strix G16CH i7 16GB 1TB RTX3060Ti Gaming PC | Gaming PCs | Argos

Buy Lenovo Legion Tower 5i i7 16GB 1TB RTX4060Ti Gaming PC | Gaming PCs | Argos

Yep, both excellent and the same spec aside from the graphics card.  I'd go for the Lenovo as it has the better graphics card.

Hi guys. Looking to upgrade my CPU, a new save I want to start has a lot of detail so want it to process as quick as poss.

I have an AMD Ryzen 7 3700x, 16GB Ram and AMD Radeon RX 6600 XT GPU.

The 'best' processor which is compatible with my current motherboard is the AMD Ryzen 9 5950x, which looks quite a lot more powerful than my current CPU. Is this upgrade worth it and will it make a significant difference?

I thought I could get more RAM too (32GB) but I understand FM is more CPU intensive... although I'm not really an expert.

Thanks!

Hi can I have some advice on these laptops please. Which one is best for fm24 or is there a better alternative?

I genuinely have no clue about any of this.

cheers in advance  

https://www.currys.co.uk/products/lenovo-ideapad-gaming-3-15.6-gaming-laptop-amd-ryzen-5-rtx-3050-512-gb-ssd-10249077.html?searchTerm=Ideapad lenovo gaming

248836BF-5DD3-4C25-9D26-F175366E5C9B.thumb.png.376e3e45435e30393c9ec040dabc724d.png

Edited by Jakeyvegas

2 hours ago, Bill_Shankly said:

Hi. My laptop has broken down, so need a new one. If I get a new one will I be able to download FM24 from Steam and play, or will I need to pay again?
Also, how can I transfer my game across

Thanks

When you log in to Steam on your new computer the game will be there (you’ll just need to download again).

Transferring your save depends if you were saving locally or to Steam cloud, I think local saving is the default. 

On 03/12/2023 at 14:13, keon said:

Hi guys. Looking to upgrade my CPU, a new save I want to start has a lot of detail so want it to process as quick as poss.

I have an AMD Ryzen 7 3700x, 16GB Ram and AMD Radeon RX 6600 XT GPU.

The 'best' processor which is compatible with my current motherboard is the AMD Ryzen 9 5950x, which looks quite a lot more powerful than my current CPU. Is this upgrade worth it and will it make a significant difference?

I thought I could get more RAM too (32GB) but I understand FM is more CPU intensive... although I'm not really an expert.

Thanks!

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/AMD-Ryzen-9-5950X-vs-AMD-Ryzen-7-3700X/4086vs4043

It's definitely an upgrade.  I'd take a look at the FM benchmarking threads to see if both CPUs are benchmarked and if so what sort of difference you'd see, and then you can decide whether you think the upgrade justifies the cost.

On 03/12/2023 at 17:02, Jakeyvegas said:

Hi can I have some advice on these laptops please. Which one is best for fm24 or is there a better alternative?

I genuinely have no clue about any of this.

cheers in advance  

https://www.currys.co.uk/products/lenovo-ideapad-gaming-3-15.6-gaming-laptop-amd-ryzen-5-rtx-3050-512-gb-ssd-10249077.html?searchTerm=Ideapad lenovo gaming

248836BF-5DD3-4C25-9D26-F175366E5C9B.thumb.png.376e3e45435e30393c9ec040dabc724d.png

Please provide links for all three to make it easier to compare them.

On 04/12/2023 at 19:23, redbanjos said:

I'd go with the Lenovo due to the dedicated graphics card, which may well be needed once FM25 comes around.

4 hours ago, Bill_Shankly said:

Hi. My laptop has broken down, so need a new one. If I get a new one will I be able to download FM24 from Steam and play, or will I need to pay again?
Also, how can I transfer my game across

Thanks

FM24 will be on your Steam or Epic account, so you'll just need to log into your Steam/Epic account (depending on where you bought the game from) and you'll be able to re-download the game to your new computer.

In terms of the save game, it depends on a number of things.  If you used cloud saves on Steam, you'll just need to select the cloud option when loading and it'll be there.  If it was saved locally, then whether or not the saved game is recoverable depends on which part of your previous laptop failed.  If it's your hard drive/SSD, you're most likely out of luck.  If the hard drive/SSD still works, then the best and cheapest way to do it would be to remove the hard drive/SSD from the old laptop and connect it to the new one with a SATA to USB cable (which you'll need to buy, but aren't expensive) and with that you'll be able to connect the old drive to the new computer via one of the USB ports and transfer the files to the new computer.

22 hours ago, kevhamster said:

Are you happy to buy refurbished?

I didn't post the OG message but I'm in the same boat. Ideally want a laptop that could run 1-3 leagues, half decent graphics for around £4/500. More than happy to buy refurbished.

Thanks

9 hours ago, Sharpy said:

I didn't post the OG message but I'm in the same boat. Ideally want a laptop that could run 1-3 leagues, half decent graphics for around £4/500. More than happy to buy refurbished.

Thanks

https://www.currys.co.uk/products/acer-aspire-3-15.6-laptop-amd-ryzen-5-1-tb-ssd-silver-10254253.html

On 29/11/2023 at 16:32, kevhamster said:

It'll run if it's MacOS 11 or later, it just won't be very quick and you'll need to turn the graphics settings down.  Also I suspect it'll suffer further when FM25 comes out with the increased system requirements.

Once again a question. I could get a secondhand laptop with a r5 5600H and a rx5500M or a Ryzen 7 with a gtx 1650 for really cheap. Will either of these run a decent amount of leagues on fm24 and possibly the future in fm25?

11 minutes ago, Mdgn said:

Once again a question. I could get a secondhand laptop with a r5 5600H and a rx5500M or a Ryzen 7 with a gtx 1650 for really cheap. Will either of these run a decent amount of leagues on fm24 and possibly the future in fm25?

Both will be fine for the game, although you haven't specified which Ryzen 7 which doesn't overly help.  We don't comment on how many leagues will be acceptable for any specific computer, as stated in the original post.  How acceptable processing speed is will be entirely subjective.

Look at the benchmarking threads to have an idea what the speeds of any given CPU may be like:

Hello all,

Got a bit of a strange question if anyone can assist?

I have a Yoga 7i bought less than a year ago for £700. It has 16GB DDR5 RAM, 1260P CPU and integrated graphics.
I have done some testing, including running on battery saver, limiting CPU to 80%, running balanced and also high or 'extreme' performance as Lenovo likes to call it.

The problem i have is on battery saver mode and normal, i use a staggering 80% of the battery in two hours. In performance mode, i use the same in an hour and a half.
On battery saver and limit to 80% the CPU is not able to boost so the noise and heat is quite low.
On normal and performance the fans ramp up considerable and the heat is excessive, hot to the touch.

I only watch my own team replay goals, but when looking at Task Manager i see the GPU even in menus is above 50%. Other use of the laptop is general browsing or streaming. 
If i watch content such as YouTube on half brightness i get around 6 hours.

The only 'solution' i have found is to run FM24 on my desktop, then RDP from the laptop to the desktop, at 70% brightness i get again 6 hours. But obviously this is running two devices to play one game and not efficient.

Would i get more battery life by actually getting a gaming laptop with a dedicated GPU, the reason being it will be worked less than the integrated one i have now. Think of it like a Ferrari only running at 50% of its capacity to keep up with
a a Ford Fiesta on a racetrack where the Fiesta is running at full power all the time.

I used to have a gaming laptop but did not get on with it, the battery life was just as bad as now, but for all uses such as just browsing, very heavy. I also found that the graphics card would not run at full power unless plugged in.
The two i had basically frame locked at 30fps unless plugged in.
My model Yoga 7i has a 70kWh battery, but there is another model that has a dedicated GPU with a 99kWh battery. People have asked Lenovo on Reddit if they are swappable and this is NOT possible to install the 99kWh in my laptop.

I have also thought of getting a battery pack with USB C charging, but i would want the pack to maintain power NOT charge the battery. There used to be an option in Windows to make it 'plugged in not charging' but using Windows 11
I cant seem to find this anymore. My Battery also has 416 cycles in less than a year, meaning i am fully discharging and charging the battery more than once a day currently.
Ideally i would deplete the battery in the laptop, plug in the power bank and get the laptop to use this and not charge the battery to try and preserve its life.

Sorry for the long post.
Thank you.

3 hours ago, sheffpro said:

Hello all,

Got a bit of a strange question if anyone can assist?

I have a Yoga 7i bought less than a year ago for £700. It has 16GB DDR5 RAM, 1260P CPU and integrated graphics.
I have done some testing, including running on battery saver, limiting CPU to 80%, running balanced and also high or 'extreme' performance as Lenovo likes to call it.

The problem i have is on battery saver mode and normal, i use a staggering 80% of the battery in two hours. In performance mode, i use the same in an hour and a half.
On battery saver and limit to 80% the CPU is not able to boost so the noise and heat is quite low.
On normal and performance the fans ramp up considerable and the heat is excessive, hot to the touch.

I only watch my own team replay goals, but when looking at Task Manager i see the GPU even in menus is above 50%. Other use of the laptop is general browsing or streaming. 
If i watch content such as YouTube on half brightness i get around 6 hours.

The only 'solution' i have found is to run FM24 on my desktop, then RDP from the laptop to the desktop, at 70% brightness i get again 6 hours. But obviously this is running two devices to play one game and not efficient.

Would i get more battery life by actually getting a gaming laptop with a dedicated GPU, the reason being it will be worked less than the integrated one i have now. Think of it like a Ferrari only running at 50% of its capacity to keep up with
a a Ford Fiesta on a racetrack where the Fiesta is running at full power all the time.

I used to have a gaming laptop but did not get on with it, the battery life was just as bad as now, but for all uses such as just browsing, very heavy. I also found that the graphics card would not run at full power unless plugged in.
The two i had basically frame locked at 30fps unless plugged in.
My model Yoga 7i has a 70kWh battery, but there is another model that has a dedicated GPU with a 99kWh battery. People have asked Lenovo on Reddit if they are swappable and this is NOT possible to install the 99kWh in my laptop.

I have also thought of getting a battery pack with USB C charging, but i would want the pack to maintain power NOT charge the battery. There used to be an option in Windows to make it 'plugged in not charging' but using Windows 11
I cant seem to find this anymore. My Battery also has 416 cycles in less than a year, meaning i am fully discharging and charging the battery more than once a day currently.
Ideally i would deplete the battery in the laptop, plug in the power bank and get the laptop to use this and not charge the battery to try and preserve its life.

Sorry for the long post.
Thank you.

The issue won't be the graphics, it will be the processor being taxed by processing the game. The 1260p normally ruins at 28w but can boost to 64w which it sounds like it is regularly doing. Simulating fewer leagues and players would help to reduce this issue. 

Edit: Re a gaming laptop, no it won't help as the processors in them use even more power. Gaming laptops tend to have better cooling solutions however so the overheating would be less of an issue. 

Edited by Gangor

12 hours ago, jackblenkiron said:

Hi,

How would either of these cope with FM24 and beyond? Having used a MacBook Pro 2019 for the last five years, I’m keen to make the switch to something that can actually handle FM without setting my legs on fire. Thanks in advance!

Victus Gaming Laptop 15

Lenovo IdeaPad Gaming 3

We don't have system specs for FM25 yet, but either of these should be fine.  I'd personally go for the Lenovo at Currys.  Better graphics card and the CPU seems to be marginally better as well.

Hi I'm looking at renewed laptops to play Fm24 and stream mainly , one I'm looking at gives the following options for graphics cards;

'Here are the graphics cards that are installed depending on which processor you choose

Intel Core i7 6th Gen (i7-6820HG 2.70GHz) - Nvidia Quadro M1000M

Intel Core i7 9th Gen (i7-9850H 2.60GHz) - Nvidia Quadro T1000

Would these be suitable to play fm24 and would there be much difference in performance between the two ? 

Thanks in advance 

16 hours ago, trueblue1972 said:

Hi I'm looking at renewed laptops to play Fm24 and stream mainly , one I'm looking at gives the following options for graphics cards;

'Here are the graphics cards that are installed depending on which processor you choose

Intel Core i7 6th Gen (i7-6820HG 2.70GHz) - Nvidia Quadro M1000M

Intel Core i7 9th Gen (i7-9850H 2.60GHz) - Nvidia Quadro T1000

Would these be suitable to play fm24 and would there be much difference in performance between the two ? 

Thanks in advance 

The second one is considerably better than the first.  But I'd be interested to hear what you're paying to see if I can find something better for you.

45 minutes ago, trueblue1972 said:

I see the most expensive version goes up to around £500.  If you're happy to spend that much, then I'd go with this one here and use the option to increase the RAM to 16GB:

https://www.laptopstation.co.uk/products/msi-gaming-laptop-bravo-15-h-series-ryzen-5-8gb-ram-256gb-ssd-amd-4gb-graphics-15-6-120hz-fhd-screen