Football Manager 2021 Early Access Beta Official Feedback Thread

I think what Fabregas is trying to say is it might not be the most attractive looking colour to look at after a while. It might just be an oversight as most players play with 3d but I personally think it's quite an easy fix. Even if you split the screen in half and have transparent team colours with a glass logo as a background would be more attractive then just a plain grey.

Not game breaking obviously but it could be more attractive :) 

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Drunkerone said:

Well if you don't wanna be constructive about it, why would you expect them to listen to you and take account of your opinion? 

How can I constructive about something I'd like to see removed and replaced?

Demolish it and rebuild it as it was... Constructive enough?

4 minutes ago, Fabregas_04 said:

I don't want to be constructive about that. I don't like it, I don't see the point of trying to implement it and I would very much like to see the old format back.

Being constructive is how you help. Not throwing your toys out the pram because you don't like it. 

You guys are clearly misunderstanding what he's saying. His suggestion is for it to go back to the way it was. There is nothing more to say about it than that. There is no way to be more constructive than that.

He isn't suggesting a new idea, his idea is for it go to back to the FM20 way.

14 minutes ago, Fabregas_04 said:

Having to look around 3 edges of a monitor helps you believe you're in a football changing room giving a teamtalk?

Well, yes. If you're a manager standing in the middle of the dressing room, you don't see all players right in front of you. At least I think that's what they are going for.

I understand those kind of immersion elements aren't for everyone, especially when it comes to older players used to less fluff or min-maxers that disregard anything that doesn't have practical use immediately, but you can hardly say there's no logic behind it. It's not like they chopped up the previous list and scattered it around randomly, players are clearly positioned around you as a manager.

1 minute ago, RocheBag said:

You guys are clearly misunderstanding what he's saying. His suggestion is for it to go back to the way it was. There is nothing more to say about it than that. There is no way to be more constructive than that.

He isn't suggesting a new idea, his idea is for it go to back to the FM20 way.

We definitely did understand, but as it says in the main post, comments like "go back to the old format" really doesn't help and will have no effect as I am pretty sure the developers did not work the whole year for a new UI, so they can go back to it after 2 weeks of BETA. Usually most of the UI changes in games are initially not necessary very welcomed, because it feels like going out of your comfort zone, but we all get used with them sooner or later. It's definitely not the first nor the last time when there are UI changes made by SI to the interface that raises mixed feelings, but here we are in 2020 with Football Manager 2021 (still in its' BETA version), which is definitely (one of) the most well received versions of the game ever. So life goes on, with or without the players standing around you. He can either choose to adapt to the game and the new UI, or to try to think about other ways to improve this year's team talks interaction, as the old one is clearly not coming back and to suggest them in a constructive way or, of course, to uninstall the game. It is really that easy sometimes.

I wish they would let us know if it WILL be released early or not. I have a week booked off work - as always for the release of the new FM - and I will go to bed if it isn't coming out anytime soon, so I am fresh for a full day of it tomorrow.

Of course, if it is coming out in the next hour or two, I will wait.

3 minutes ago, Ellis_D said:

I wish they would let us know if it WILL be released early or not. I have a week booked off work - as always for the release of the new FM - and I will go to bed if it isn't coming out anytime soon, so I am fresh for a full day of it tomorrow.

Some dedication that

3 minutes ago, Ellis_D said:

It might be worth it to wait until 00:00, to be honest, I'm pretty sure the last few versions definitely got released before or at 00:00.

13 minutes ago, Drunkerone said:

We definitely did understand, but as it says in the main post, comments like "go back to the old format" really doesn't help and will have no effect as I am pretty sure the developers did not work the whole year for a new UI, so they can go back to it after 2 weeks of BETA. Usually most of the UI changes in games are initially not necessary very welcomed, because it feels like going out of your comfort zone, but we all get used with them sooner or later. It's definitely not the first nor the last time when there are UI changes made by SI to the interface that raises mixed feelings, but here we are in 2020 with Football Manager 2021 (still in its' BETA version), which is definitely (one of) the most well received versions of the game ever. So life goes on, with or without the players standing around you. He can either choose to adapt to the game and the new UI, or to try to think about other ways to improve this year's team talks interaction, as the old one is clearly not coming back and to suggest them in a constructive way or, of course, to uninstall the game. It is really that easy sometimes.

What's all this about, players standing around you? I played the Beta for a full season and can't remember this lol.

1 minute ago, Carambau said:

I thought I was already playing the full game since 2 hours... then they told me its not out yet. How can I tell i am still playing the beta version?

in the bottom left corner if your screen in-game, it will say its the beta version, if it is the beta version.

2 minutes ago, Drunkerone said:

It might be worth it to wait until 00:00, to be honest, I'm pretty sure the last few versions definitely got released before or at 00:00.

Cheers. But then I will be up to 3 or 4am, and I still have to take the kids to school in the morning lol.

1 minute ago, Ellis_D said:

What's all this about, players standing around you? I played the Beta for a full season and can't remember this lol.

Players standing around you as in the new team talk screen with you, as a manager in the middle, and the players who "sit" around you before the match, at the half time and after the match.

5 minutes ago, Drunkerone said:

Players standing around you as in the new team talk screen with you, as a manager in the middle, and the players who "sit" around you before the match, at the half time and after the match.

I'm going to have to go and play a game, because I can't for the life of me remember this. It was only about a week ago I last played on it too haha.

5 minutes ago, waldywaldy said:

You should delegate stuff like that to your Ass Man.

Hahaha, great idea, but she'd never go for that. It's bad enough that I am taking a week off work to "sit on your bum playing your football game."

There seems to be no consequence for extreme attacking formations in this year and the previous year MEs.

This is one of the reasons players are finding it so easy. 

If you have 3 forwards,you should be getting killed on the wide areas because your strikers can't cover that space quick enough or not at all.

It's just too easy to set everything to attacking with attacking roles and high tempos and win.

More consequence for extremes please.

37 minutes ago, axEm said:

Will Alen Halilovic be in Birmingham City if game is released tonight? 

At this point, unless they knew it was 100% going to happen, and included it in the database a couple of days ago, I doubt it. That'll probably be something updated in the Winter Transfer Update after January.

58 minutes ago, HUNT3R said:

This has been posted a few times before but (as the focus is on you, the manager, this year) it's you standing in the middle of the room with the players around you.

That's what it's supposed to resemble, but in practice it just... doesn't . SI's marketing team can say "the focus this year is on you, the manager" as much as they want, but saying it doesn't make it true.

2 minutes ago, Ellis_D said:

Hahaha, great idea, but she'd never go for that. It's bad enough that I am taking a week off work to "sit on your bum playing your football game."

You need an ass man with higher "working with youngsters" attribute

Just now, autohoratio said:

That's what it's supposed to resemble, but in practice it just... doesn't . SI's marketing team can say "the focus this year is on you, the manager" as much as they want, but saying it doesn't make it true.

And as has been repeated a few times - constructive feedback around these things is important.

2 minutes ago, vukigepard said:

You need an ass man with higher "working with youngsters" attribute

Lmao, she does, very high. But she also has very high aggression, determination and dirtiness attributes! As in, she will kick me if I don't get off my arse and take the kids to school lol.

personally I think the only reason that doesn't work (the team talk feature) is because it's hard to get attached to a random box

I'd like to see actual players developed (or at least something I can get attached to), but obviously licensing plays a big part here
As an initial feature though, it's a good move - but obviously has room for development (even if it's only implemented with regens, a physical person sitting there and changing expression is enough)

It's better than a random list, as at least it's more representative of real life (it's the same issue with press conferences)
I'd like to see it fleshed out with an actual humanoid-looking thing there, but that's possibly FM22s development (or maybe FM23)
Makes FM become a bit more graphically dependent too (having to generate physical bodies for people)

Edited by samdiatmh

7 minutes ago, bcereus said:

There seems to be no consequence for extreme attacking formations in this year and the previous year MEs.

This is one of the reasons players are finding it so easy. 

If you have 3 forwards,you should be getting killed on the wide areas because your strikers can't cover that space quick enough or not at all.

It's just too easy to set everything to attacking with attacking roles and high tempos and win.

More consequence for extremes please.

...or maybe just don't use extreme attacking formations? Leave that to the 'click to win' kids. 

1 minute ago, HUNT3R said:

And as has been repeated a few times - constructive feedback around these things is important.

Of course, but some concepts just don't work, or there is no obvious way to improve them. The only "constructive" feedback I have to offer for the team talks screen is that the one from FM20 was fine - could probably be improved itself, but there wasn't anything obviously wrong with it. FM21's team talk screen has the points of interaction on the far edges of the screen in the name of immersion, but all thats serves to do is make team talks more arduous and fiddly.

There are many things that could be added or changed in the game in the name of immersion, but they're not always the right changes to make...

Lmao, she does, very high. But she also has very high aggression, determination and dirtiness attributes! As in, she will kick me if I don't get off my arse and take the kids to school lol.

Yeah, also always preferred zonal marking opposed to man marking and hard tackling

8 minutes ago, HUNT3R said:

Maybe i'm dumb and it's just me, but i had no idea until it was pointed out that the new team talk design had to do anything with players being around you. So constructive feedback, if that's the experience with other players, would be that it doesn't serve it's point

12 minutes ago, Ellis_D said:

I'm going to have to go and play a game, because I can't for the life of me remember this. It was only about a week ago I last played on it too haha.

I have just gone to a game and can now see what you mean. I had forgotten it, as it's not something I generally look at. I just do a general team talk and that is it.

I've got tbh, though, to me it doesn't look like the team sat around you in a dressing room. It just looks a bit of a mess. Like they didn't have enough room on the screen, so just plonked them anywhere (even if they are in a certain order).

I would prefer them to just put them in a list like it used to be. But it's such a minor detail to me, that I'm not really not that bothered either way.

15 minutes ago, samdiatmh said:

personally I think the only reason that doesn't work (the team talk feature) is because it's hard to get attached to a random box

I'd like to see actual players developed (or at least something I can get attached to), but obviously licensing plays a big part here
As an initial feature though, it's a good move - but obviously has room for development (even if it's only implemented with regens, a physical person sitting there and changing expression is enough)

Exactly - the rules for graphical and text based information are different - we absorb them differently. Text needs to be scanned in a limited number of ways for it to be comfortably read and understood.  This is a solution for a 3D graphical world with actual player models talking to you (audio or speech bubbles).  As text only it is a deeply flawed design decision.

In a text based system ergonomics is everything.

Apologies to whoever to tried to get visually creative with the text layout - it's a nice idea, but it just doesn't work very well. 

EDIT: However I'll forgive most things for the sake of this year's excellent ME - assuming it doesn't get messed up by patching.

Edited by rp1966

I have just gone to a game and can now see what you mean. I had forgotten it, as it's not something I generally look at. I just do a general team talk and that is it.

I've got tbh, though, to me it doesn't look like the team sat around you in a dressing room. It just looks a bit of a mess. Like they didn't have enough room on the screen, so just plonked them anywhere (even if they are in a certain order).

I would prefer them to just put them in a list like it used to be. But it's such a minor detail to me, that I'm not really not that bothered either way.

It's also yet another new UI feature that doesn't show the player faces when it would look much better with them.