FM and apple silicon

Apple recently released their much anticipated MacBooks with their own Apple Silicon.

im due an upgrade and keen to get one but since they are now based on the ARM architecture I don’t know if they will be able to play FM

anyone have any insight?   

• Replies 496
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Same here. 

From the Apple presentation I'm guessing it will work. They mentioned that there was an emulator to allow software, designed with Intel chips in mind to run on them. I haven't heard anything official though :-(

New new Macs are out on the 17th, so I may hold off ordering my one until then. Hopefully someone on this forum will be an early adopter and will let us all know :-).

Regards

Considering upgrading my current MacBook Pro to the new M1 chip laptop. Will the game be compatible? I understand this may be a Steam question as well.

I'm using Big Sur and no glaring issues thus far. I still get the crash after I quit the game that was previously in FM20 though. 

Thanks,

12 hours ago, OConnellFC said:

Considering upgrading my current MacBook Pro to the new M1 chip laptop. Will the game be compatible? I understand this may be a Steam question as well.

I'm using Big Sur and no glaring issues thus far. I still get the crash after I quit the game that was previously in FM20 though. 

Thanks,

I get the crash after quitting on catalina still, think it’s a beta thing

1 hour ago, craiigman said:

Just had an email, it’s been dispatched and will be here tomorrow, so I can let you know this week!

@Damse1994

That’ll be great, thanks! I read the emulation will cost a bit of power, but it should still outperform every other MacBook. So if it just runs FM21 I will retire my old MBP. 

Has anyone had a try yet? 

Miles did reply to someone on twitter saying that on the dev kit, they didnt see any problems (they were unsure if multiplayer would work). They should be able to test now as the computers have been released, 

So it seems like it does work 

35 minutes ago, aj6658 said:

Has anyone had a try yet? 

Miles did reply to someone on twitter saying that on the dev kit, they didnt see any problems (they were unsure if multiplayer would work). They should be able to test now as the computers have been released, 

So it seems like it does work 

Mine is due in the next couple of hours - what did you want to know? Just that it runs?

Initial gaming reports I have seen show it does will with other games like Factorio so hopefully quite promising.

6 minutes ago, craiigman said:

Mine is due in the next couple of hours - what did you want to know? Just that it runs?

Initial gaming reports I have seen show it does will with other games like Factorio so hopefully quite promising.

Yeah. Would be great to know how well it runs, particularly if you put in a ton of playable leagues.

Im running a 2015 Macbook air so im looking at a 2x-3x performance improvement 

Much Appreciated! 

11 minutes ago, aj6658 said:

Yeah. Would be great to know how well it runs, particularly if you put in a ton of playable leagues.

Im running a 2015 Macbook air so im looking at a 2x-3x performance improvement 

Much Appreciated! 

I’m on a 12” MacBook from 2016 so I’m expecting the same thing!

Just so you all know - the M1 chip will run Rosetta 2 to emulate the x86 architecture of the Intel chips. 

It's been widely reported that the M1 chip is a lot faster than intel chips - however, the reports are leaving out that this only related to intel chips they have used in their own Macs and not related to anything outside of the Apple ecosystem. 

There are huge reports that it is performing better than an i9 processor - which for the Mac was the i9-9980HK  - which gives it a pretty decent ranking in the world of mobile processors - should be top 25 in terms of performance. 

The GPU also has same reports as being better than the Intel version, and probably true, even AMD have surpassed Intel in this regard for their later model GPUs. However, the reports again are only related to Mac vs Mac and not outside the Apple ecosystem.

Generaly reports puts the benchmark of the processor for the graphics at about the range of the GTX1050 - which is more than enough to play most games, including FM.

===============

All in all - I stand by my advice to all on the forum - unless you have specific Mac reasons, like software/fonts, company policy etc. then a Mac is a huge chunk of change for a middle of the road Laptop, it's like paying first class flight tickets to sit in business class. 

===============

Can you please benchmark?

I'd love to see how it performs though - if so can you make your way to the benchmarking thread for 2020 and run the benchmarks if you're using the M1 Chips?

On 12/11/2020 at 14:27, aj6658 said:

Apple recently released their much anticipated MacBooks with their own Apple Silicon.

im due an upgrade and keen to get one but since they are now based on the ARM architecture I don’t know if they will be able to play FM

anyone have any insight?   

On 15/11/2020 at 11:14, Onkster said:

Same here. 

From the Apple presentation I'm guessing it will work. They mentioned that there was an emulator to allow software, designed with Intel chips in mind to run on them. I haven't heard anything official though :-(

New new Macs are out on the 17th, so I may hold off ordering my one until then. Hopefully someone on this forum will be an early adopter and will let us all know :-).

Regards

On 15/11/2020 at 22:25, Damse1994 said:

Would you be so kind to quote me with how the game works on the new mac? I’m due an upgrade my self. 

On 16/11/2020 at 19:16, OConnellFC said:

Thanks,

1 hour ago, Smurf said:

Just so you all know - the M1 chip will run Rosetta 2 to emulate the x86 architecture of the Intel chips. 

It's been widely reported that the M1 chip is a lot faster than intel chips - however, the reports are leaving out that this only related to intel chips they have used in their own Macs and not related to anything outside of the Apple ecosystem. 

There are huge reports that it is performing better than an i9 processor - which for the Mac was the i9-9980HK  - which gives it a pretty decent ranking in the world of mobile processors - should be top 25 in terms of performance. 

The GPU also has same reports as being better than the Intel version, and probably true, even AMD have surpassed Intel in this regard for their later model GPUs. However, the reports again are only related to Mac vs Mac and not outside the Apple ecosystem.

Generaly reports puts the benchmark of the processor for the graphics at about the range of the GTX1050 - which is more than enough to play most games, including FM.

===============

All in all - I stand by my advice to all on the forum - unless you have specific Mac reasons, like software/fonts, company policy etc. then a Mac is a huge chunk of change for a middle of the road Laptop, it's like paying first class flight tickets to sit in business class. 

===============

Can you please benchmark?

I'd love to see how it performs though - if so can you make your way to the benchmarking thread for 2020 and run the benchmarks if you're using the M1 Chips?

First results posted here:

10 minutes ago, V3ntricity said:

every time i try to play games, including fm, on my mbp 2019 i just hate it. it get so hot it's ridiculous. can't imagine it will be any different on the new line.

No heat to speak of so far, only heard the fans once and even then they were barely spinning.

My 15” from I think it was 2015 was like you said. As soon as I turned on certain games the fans were going mental and was scolding hot. Heck even my fan less 12” gets silly hot.

But yes so far warm is about as hot as this new one has gotten.

Edited by craiigman

10 hours ago, craiigman said:

No heat to speak of so far, only heard the fans once and even then they were barely spinning.

My 15” from I think it was 2015 was like you said. As soon as I turned on certain games the fans were going mental and was scolding hot. Heck even my fan less 12” gets silly hot.

Good to hear. I cancelled my pre-order and am holding out for the 16 inch Macbook Pro update. I would miss the bigger screen I think. Does the game run noticeably faster on the M1 chip from your experience? Have you tried the 3d match engine and if so, what experience have you had? 

43 minutes ago, OConnellFC said:

Good to hear. I cancelled my pre-order and am holding out for the 16 inch Macbook Pro update. I would miss the bigger screen I think. Does the game run noticeably faster on the M1 chip from your experience? Have you tried the 3d match engine and if so, what experience have you had? 

I’ve posted my full results on the links above

I have two Macs

late 2016 MacBook Pro 16 GB RAM, 2.9 GHz quad core i7
late 2015 iMac 32 GB RAM, 4.0 GHz quad core i7

I ran the benchmarks on both of them, wanted to get an idea for how much improvement the M1 gives and if the emulator and FM20 not being optimized for that processor would offset the processor gains. Was very curious to see if it's worth upgrading the MacBook Pro, possibly to the new Mac mini since I have monitors and don't travel much anymore.

Well the M1 blew me out of the water:

Late 2020 MacBook Pro M1, 8 GB - 0:47, 6:39, 6:09 (thanks craiigman!)

Late 2016 MacBook Pro 2.9, 16 GB - 1:19, 10:25, 10:27

Late 2015 iMac 4.0, 32 GB - 0:59, 7:29, 8:18

I wonder why the MacBook Pro didn't lose as much from Benchmark B to C as the iMac. I ran the benchmarks without rebooting in-between maybe it's a heat thing, and MacBook cools down quicker? Or maybe it's the fusion drive on the iMac?

I posted these over on the benchmark thread.

Also, I think that's pretty respectable performance from 4 and 5 year old hardware.

Edited by Joey Numbaz

20 hours ago, Smurf said:

The GPU also has same reports as being better than the Intel version, and probably true, even AMD have surpassed Intel in this regard for their later model GPUs. 

On this, AMD's APU graphics have always been vastly better than Intels offerings.  Its not a recent thing at all.  Those A-Series APUs weren't great as CPUs, but the GPU component was very decent for "onboard" graphics.  Obviously not against dedicated.

36 minutes ago, petertr said:

On this, AMD's APU graphics have always been vastly better than Intels offerings.  Its not a recent thing at all.  Those A-Series APUs weren't great as CPUs, but the GPU component was very decent for "onboard" graphics.  Obviously not against dedicated.

Thanks for that - I didn't really get into AMD chips until about a year ago - as you say the APU as CPU wasn't great. But a vast improvement, and I was gently swayed in their direction. 

Same to be said with the M1 chip, it's mighty, in fairness.

21 hours ago, craiigman said:

Do external files such as skins, logos etc all work fine?

30 minutes ago, craiigman said:

No reason they wouldn't the file structure is the same as all Macs. I don't have any installed though.

Ah thanks, just wondering how the Rosetta 2 translation would work with the Sports interactive file. There’s a logo pack on FM Scout which is next to nothing in size that you could try. 

1 hour ago, ademlfc said:

Ah thanks, just wondering how the Rosetta 2 translation would work with the Sports interactive file. There’s a logo pack on FM Scout which is next to nothing in size that you could try. 

I mean I can use my save from my old laptop no problem, but:

1387847143_Screenshot2020-11-19at18_16_52.thumb.png.7b16e0ba8639e3bb621ae53e61878bcd.png

Footbe logo pack working as normal.

8 minutes ago, jckennedy1982 said:

Has anyone tried on the new MacBook Air with M1?  I'm looking at the version with 8 core GPU.  But wanting to check what the performance is like on a fanless model.  Thank You in advance.

Not that I’ve seen on here, but from other games and tests I’ve seen online they perform almost exactly the same, since the specs are the same. Fans only get involved if you have continuous rendering/under load performance for 10+ minutes. I just watched a full game in 3D and no fans came on.

I probably didn’t need the Pro looking at the wider picture, but I actually prefer the design of the Pro, so I am happy with my purchase, but the Air should perform basically the same.

Only thing it might slow down on is if you try to holiday for a long time, but it shouldn’t be too bad.

24 minutes ago, jckennedy1982 said:

Has anyone tried on the new MacBook Air with M1?  I'm looking at the version with 8 core GPU.  But wanting to check what the performance is like on a fanless model.  Thank You in advance.

From what I can garner.

The MacBook Air is fanless - so without a fan, there's no active cooling like the Pro (active cooling is just a cool way to say fan). 
Active cooling (fans) are important for heavy workloads and FM is a heavy workload. With no fan in the MacBook Air - there might be more throttling with the processor to preserve power.

The Battery in the Air is slightly smaller than the Pro - 49.9Wh vs 58.2Wh And the power adapter is 30w instead of the Pro 61w. You can understand that it might take a bit longer to fully charge the MacBook Air.

On 18/11/2020 at 18:20, V3ntricity said:

every time i try to play games, including fm, on my mbp 2019 i just hate it. it get so hot it's ridiculous. can't imagine it will be any different on the new line.

The newest iteration of the Mac is powered by an entirely new chipset.  Previously, they were mostly powered with middle of the road Intel stuff. 

Based on the feedback we've had so far, the difference between the new Macs with the M1 chips and the old Intel based ones is basically night and day. 

1 minute ago, dalglish1975 said:

Runs ok through Steam which I guess is Rosetta doing its thing.

Anything you want me to try or check specifically?

Thanks! If it's good enough for you I'll get the divorce papers signed this evening :lol: Thanks again!

5 minutes ago, arty2307 said:

Thanks! If it's good enough for you I'll get the divorce papers signed this evening :lol: Thanks again!

I know the feeling... But on the new Air I know the fans will never kick in which used to be a real giveaway I was playing games rather than working...

4 minutes ago, kokafalasi said:

Hey @dalglish1975,

Thanks for your feedback on this thread. Great to see the game works fine with the M1. If you already owned a Mac before, how does performance compare?

Thinking of moving on from my late ‘13 MB Pro and getting a new M1 Pro myself.

Thanks in advance!

Main difference is the lack of fans! But the graphical capability of this one (according to the game) is higher than my previous MacBook Pro - it gets 5 stars and the 3D match engine is very smooth indeed.

12 minutes ago, kokafalasi said:

Hey @dalglish1975,

Thanks for your feedback on this thread. Great to see the game works fine with the M1. If you already owned a Mac before, how does performance compare?

Thinking of moving on from my late ‘13 MB Pro and getting a new M1 Pro myself.

Thanks in advance!

I have the new M1 Pro and can confirm it’s very very good

12 hours ago, dalglish1975 said:

Main difference is the lack of fans! But the graphical capability of this one (according to the game) is higher than my previous MacBook Pro - it gets 5 stars and the 3D match engine is very smooth indeed.

Hi Dalglish1975, thanks for having shared your experience.

One question: is the MBA running hot after 2/3 hours gaming? WHich is avg temperature achieved?

On 18/11/2020 at 18:20, V3ntricity said:

Up to last year, I was still using my 2011 MBP when I travel for work. That thing easily double up as a heater when I launch FM on it.