FM21beta. Simeone and Mourinho inspired tactic, 19th place in the ball possesion stats

As a big fan of fast and direct type of play, i tried to combine the tips from @OhhScottySinclair topic with more wing-focused play and higher defensive line.

My inspiration  :https://community.sigames.com/topic/394126-the-rise-of-diego-simeone-4-4-2/?tab=comments#comment-10626426

Set pieces were not set by myself, taken from Zealot tactic, presented here: https://community.sigames.com/topic/534731-fm21-nostradamus-4-1-2-3-tactic-by-zealot/

At the start i would like to mention, that my main idea was not to present the tactic, that would give the most possible points, but giving decent result with a very direct and defensive-minded type of play. For sure some stats may look a bit ridiculous, for one of the best teams in the league, for example : 

napoli_stats.jpg.a6fdef124648743bd2f283a042c7237f.jpg

From the other side, it was balanced by the benefits it brings :

image.png.38f1568d0cdc1a0b4c0ff5b6998cd259.png:

The formation is strikerless, like in the original topic by @OhhScottySinclair, with some changes on the left wing (removing Koke emulating wide playmaker) and at the front :

image.png.db4c7b0546ca3b7e41e1a0b31b54d568.png

helmut-simeone-counter.fmf

Even with the higher defensive line it gives enough defensive stability with a shortened distance between expected interception zone and opponent's goal. As you may have noticed, the intereceptions are comming not as a tackling result, but mostly from interceptions in the middle zone of the pitch, thanks to a full team engaged in a defensive phase of play and strikers playing very close to the midfielders. I've resigned from a part of speciic PI for classic CM(s), but gave them the strictly precised roles. 

OI were assigned by the Assistant Manager, a good staff member can also provide some help in choosing starting mentality. I've set cautious as default, but especially at home against more defensive oriented rivals, you can also set positive or even attacking. 

napoli_season.jpg.9508ccd84e81e536ad1b28862e34b312.jpg

Italian Cup Final, example of how the game flows:

Juventus v Napoli 0-2 (final Pucharu Wloch 2020-21).pkm

Edited by Helmut

In addition i would like to show the results from the next season, when i managed Inter team. 

inter_season.jpg.457321361b8dbc3e0eac4dc56b86b563.jpg

image.thumb.png.4066627a98d0b3aa4a94f337e9506d43.png

The main stats remained at similar level. Low ball posession (47 %), low pass completion ratio (84%), tackles won below Serie A average. High number of clear cut chances created (38, best in the league) and interceptions (3rd in the league).

Because the tactic focuses on creating goal chances via through balls and leaving opponents GK on 1vs1 with our strikers, SS(a) plays very important role in the tactical setup. With Lautaro Martinez playing as a false striker, i had converstion rate on 19,7% level, almost 4 percentage points better than the next opposition team.

With a good movement off the ball it was even possible to grab away win 1-6 against Milan, with only 39% of ball possesion. 

Milan v Inter 1-6 (Serie A 2021-22).pkm

Edited by Helmut

On 24/11/2020 at 12:39, alkenalkin said:

can you try to make central forward version of this tactic ? a lot of underdog teams dont have two shadow striker

I'm not the tactic creator, but I imagine he'll suggest you playing your strikers there. It doesn't really matter if your players are natural there.

12 minutes ago, yellowforever said:

I'm not the tactic creator, but I imagine he'll suggest you playing your strikers there. It doesn't really matter if your players are natural there.

You're right. The main concept was based on keeping our strikers close to our midfielders, to gain more options when exploiting the space behind oppontent defenders. In my save i simply retrained Lautaro Martinez and Sebastian Esposito from CF to AM/CF roles.

I also sadly notice that match engine update made the tactic less effective, especially in the creating phase of play. Actually there are many much stronger tactics on the forum, but mostly they use the same combination of instructions in the transistion phase (press & counterpress). 

• 1 month later...
On 25/11/2020 at 13:13, Helmut said:

You're right. The main concept was based on keeping our strikers close to our midfielders, to gain more options when exploiting the space behind oppontent defenders. In my save i simply retrained Lautaro Martinez and Sebastian Esposito from CF to AM/CF roles.

I also sadly notice that match engine update made the tactic less effective, especially in the creating phase of play. Actually there are many much stronger tactics on the forum, but mostly they use the same combination of instructions in the transistion phase (press & counterpress). 

Hey does this work for fm 21?

Looking to take a mid table team like torino and make them play simeone type footy and take them to atheltico madrid type heights.