Still too easy?

Does anybody still (after the beta) finds the game too easy?

I gave up a save with Chelsea and Milan because of this reason, in both together I lost a few games at most. You may say can happen, they're big teams, yes but every team struggles at some point in the season, which did not happen to me, I always dominate 95% of the games, xG always higher and the opponent doesn't get really dangerous, can happen some times with other big teams but the weaker ones get annihilated all the time leaving no room for surprises. Not getting a struggle, a real challenge, even with these big clubs, kills my mood to play.

I'm playing now with Brentford, same story, top of the league in December,13 wins, 2 draws and 1 lost, +4 on the second, will be more as the time passes.

I'm noticing the % of the completed passes are way high on average, I get between 92-95% most of the time, but I'm Brentford, not Guardiola's Barcelona.

• Replies 588
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Obviously how easy or hard it is depends on your team. Brentford are one of the best sides in the Championship.  See how you find it once you've won promotion.

I'm managing Coventry, one of the hot tips for relegation with the vast majority of players apparently being League One standard and no real play in the budget to do much about it.  It's been a struggle so far! Did at least manage a 4-4 draw in my last game against Reading so that's something! 

1 hour ago, madskull.93 said:

I gave up a save with Chelsea and Milan because of this reason, in both together I lost a few games at most. You may say can happen, they're big teams, yes but every team struggles at some point in the season, which did not happen to me, I always dominate 95% of the games, xG always higher and the opponent doesn't get really dangerous, can happen some times with other big teams but the weaker ones get annihilated all the time leaving no room for surprises. Not getting a struggle, a real challenge, even with these big clubs, kills my mood to play.

I'm playing now with Brentford, same story, top of the league in December,13 wins, 2 draws and 1 lost, +4 on the second, will be more as the time passes.

I'm noticing the % of the completed passes are way high on average, I get between 92-95% most of the time, but I'm Brentford, not Guardiola's Barcelona.

How many games you won doesnt really put things into context to label the game to 'Easy' how many trophies did you win with said teams, did you win all cups and leagues with ease? did you win champions league multiple times with ease? a bit more information please other than ' i won alot of games with such and such team'

Edited by iAlwaysWin

1 hour ago, Johnny Ace said:

I don't find it easy

Can you post up your tactic? A) Because I'm curious & B) yes, I'll test it out :D

I can tell you my tactic with Brentford, the other saves are deleted

I use a more offensive 433:

Positive

shorter passing, play out of defense, low crosses, work ball into box

distribute to center back, distribute quickly, counter-press

much higher defensive line, much higher line of engagement, more urgent, prevent short GK distribution, 

A little bit more defensive 433, mostly for away games:

Balanced

Pass into space, play out of defence, higher tempo, narrow

take short kicks, distribute to center backs, counter, counter-press

higher defensive line, extremely urgent, use tighter marking

23 minutes ago, iAlwaysWin said:

How many games you won doesnt really put things into to context to label the game to 'Easy' how many trophies did you win with said teams, did you win all cups and leagues with ease? did you win champions league multiple times with ease? a bit more information please other than ' i won alot of games with such and such team'

I developed the bad habit to give up in this FM when I see no challenge, I deleted both Chelsea and Milan saves when I was first just after middle season.

But that's  not the point, I'm comparing to last year's FM, things were harder some way.

38 minutes ago, kevhamster said:

Obviously how easy or hard it is depends on your team. Brentford are one of the best sides in the Championship.  See how you find it once you've won promotion.

I'm managing Coventry, one of the hot tips for relegation with the vast majority of players apparently being League One standard and no real play in the budget to do much about it.  It's been a struggle so far! Did at least manage a 4-4 draw in my last game against Reading so that's something! 

Well, I'll try and go on with this save, hopefully I will get some struggle going forward

I'm getting the same results as you, although full game a bit better than the beta.

I got 116 points in the championship with Watford (new record) first season, then finished 5th in the Prem year after. Gave up after that and moved to Leipzig where I'm taking Dortmund and Bayern to school three years in a row.  Only place I struggle (and where it's realistic) it's in the latter stages of the UCL. Getting knocked out in the quarterfinals typically. 

My quick fix is that away teams need to start playing better.

Have you noticed the newgen bug yet?

Edited by freddieos

Won Championship with 105 with Brentford, but EPL is a little bit difficult compared to my Watford save. Obviously expectations at Watfard were to have mid-table finish, now at Brentford they are to battle relegation and I'm 11th in the league. Still overachieving but not that easy I'd say. In general though, I find FM 21 like FM 19. I won the league in Bundesliga nearly with every team I managed in my second season in FM 19 but in FM 20 could not win EPL except with Spurs in my 3rd season and I managed 6-7 teams. So it depends mainly on squad building when you manage top teams, how long it takes from you to assemble world-class players I'd say. 

Edited by CM

10 minutes ago, freddieos said:

I'm getting the same results as you, although full game a bit better than the beta.

I got 116 points in the championship with Watford (new record) first season, then finished 5th in the Prem year after. Gave up after that and moved to Leipzig where I'm taking Dortmund and Bayern to school three years in a row.  Only place I struggle (and where it's realistic) it's in the latter stages of the UCL. Getting knocked out in the quarterfinals typically. 

It's pretty insane to finish 5th after promotion...

I didn't get that far to see the bug yet, I delete my saves soon when I don't see any challenge continuing.

Edited by madskull.93

The game is still a bit too easy compared to FM20 (which wasn't very hard either). 

Tip: Download the Better AI Managers mod. Increases the difficulty a bit.

Edit: I use no custom tactics or in-game editor. Hardly use player search either.

Edited by freddieos

1 hour ago, madskull.93 said:

It's pretty insane to finish 5th after promotion...

I didn't get that far to see the bug yet, I delete my saves soon when I don't see any challenge continuing.

Wolves were pretty insane and unrealistic when they managed to finish 7th after being promoted. Not to talk about that unrealistic RB Leipzig challenging Bayern in a season after they got promoted.

I mean, if it's unrealistic to win the title with Chelsea, i don't know what the people actually want, results to be generated in line with real life results regardless of tactics? I really have no clue

Yeah it's way too easy for me to enjoy the game, other than doing experimental things in the game and trying out new tactics to have a challenge.

If I played a normal 4-3-3 high press style and put minimal effort into managing my team morale I would overachieve massively with any team.

The difference between overachieving in FM21 compared to the previous editions was that you don't really need to adjust your tactics, find the right players or do any real managerial decisions...you just pick the aggressive tactic of your choice and click 'Continue' endlessly and win 80% of your matches, draw 15% and lose 5%.

I played as Rangers in the beta and Rangers now that the full game has come out.  Started a brand new save.  I've found things to be harder with the same tactic as before.  I'm still winning the league, as Rangers are in real life, but I'm not running away with it and I'm not scoring 5 a game.  

It's too easy to get jobs. I started with no coaching badges and sunday league footballer and I still got offered the job at Wigan in the 1st div. Sounds like there should be a joke in there. Anyway, this doesn't seem very realistic.

I have noticed that playing with a high def line and pressing is still a bit overpowered bu at least the AI is scoring goals on the counter against me and making me pay for that high line with balls over the top, so at least the AI seems smarter in that regard.

13 hours ago, madskull.93 said:

Depends HOW you are playing the game will depend how easy it is for you :)

All 3 teams the OP has used are top teams for the respective leagues, expected to challenge for the league title. 

Also half a season is barely enough time to guage these things. I've already had a couple of seasons on this FM wherein we were flying till December only to fall away - and another time we won the league before the same tactic & same players just stopped performing the following season. Had to switch from 442 to 433 to get going again. 

Which is all reflective of real life IMO - there are peaks & troughs, sometimes things stop working and you need to change either tactics or personnel (or both). Play it with not one of the strongest teams for 2-3 seasons and then make a judgment, I would say.

12 minutes ago, karanhsingh said:

All 3 teams the OP has used are top teams for the respective leagues, expected to challenge for the league title. 

Also half a season is barely enough time to guage these things. I've already had a couple of seasons on this FM wherein we were flying till December only to fall away - and another time we won the league before the same tactic & same players just stopped performing the following season. Had to switch from 442 to 433 to get going again. 

Which is all reflective of real life IMO - there are peaks & troughs, sometimes things stop working and you need to change either tactics or personnel (or both). Play it with not one of the strongest teams for 2-3 seasons and then make a judgment, I would say.

True, In FM 20 I won the Second division with Deportivo La Coruna and the next year in the First division I was 1st after 10 games or so, but I wasn't able to keep it that way throughout the whole season and I barely finished 3rd, and In the following 3 years I was never that succesful even though my team was stronger than the first year I got into the La Liga.

54 minutes ago, TheVerySpecialOne said:

True, In FM 20 I won the Second division with Deportivo La Coruna and the next year in the First division I was 1st after 10 games or so, but I wasn't able to keep it that way throughout the whole season and I barely finished 3rd, and In the following 3 years I was never that succesful even though my team was stronger than the first year I got into the La Liga.

In my Deportivo save this year I started well in the second season to be top after 10 games, and then I got beaten by a team in 20th and we fell away down the league. I could have given up the save 10 games in to the second season I guess and claimed I had "won" FM.

I find these threads always have a couple of common threads. 

1. Play as one of the biggest teams in your league, and be shocked you win most games. 

2. Use some kind of exploit tactic either downloaded from the tactics forum or inspired by it.

3. Stop after a short time in the second season, before everything begins to crash down to earth again. 

4. Be an on the sly bragging thread (which is fine, but just be straight up about it).

The solutions are quite simple. Do not do any of the first 3 points.

1 hour ago, TheVerySpecialOne said:

Absolutely. Getting the promotions and getting to say a top 5 or top 6 is one thing - but consistently staying there is a whole other thing altogether. 

Most of us use attacking tactics, paired with decent forwards, it can be quite effective in your first season when teams are playing open against you. But it gets harder & harder with time, as you say even with an improving squad.

Besides, even the part of squad improvement itself becomes harder as your team gets better. So it's really not about winning 12 games on the trot and being top at Xmas.

il y a 39 minutes, sporadicsmiles a dit :

In my Deportivo save this year I started well in the second season to be top after 10 games, and then I got beaten by a team in 20th and we fell away down the league. I could have given up the save 10 games in to the second season I guess and claimed I had "won" FM.

1. Play as one of the biggest teams in your league, and be shocked you win most games. 

2. Use some kind of exploit tactic either downloaded from the tactics forum or inspired by it.

3. Stop after a short time in the second season, before everything begins to crash down to earth again. 

4. Be an on the sly bragging thread (which is fine, but just be straight up about it).

Hi mate,

I disagree with your different points

The  supposed ease of the game has already been discussed during beta, and some people were having the same argments than yours

But as a matter of fact, without downloading tactic; just set up a classic 4-3-3 on my own; or playing with the top team of your division it's almost 100% sure that you will massively overachieved in any competitions with an underdog as well

Juts to highlight my words already 3 seasons down in French Ligue 1 with Marseille (predicted 4th for the first season)=3 league title in a row, 1 french cup and 1 UCL trophy, worth mentionning how easy it is to get incredible players on the market  without any AI competitions but well...

Ended up starting over in a lower division in order to see if it could be different, set up a different tactic than my Marseille save, predicted last and no transfers allowed, won the league and get promotion, main striker completely trash the league on his own, and i was part of those people in beta saying that average strikers were completely overpowered, but no everything was fine...

It's been told several times but it seems that the "it's your tactic" answer is applying once again this year

Edited by nico_france
edit

41 minutes ago, sporadicsmiles said:

Nobody is bragging here. I think almost everyone from the more experienced players agree that the game needs to have more challenge. The skill ceiling needs to be higher since we have had so many new features to help us play the game.

On your four points:

1. People are overachieving with weaker teams aswell and getting several league promotions in row. And I don't think playing with a big team should make your opinion not valid. There are people who play only their favourite team every year so they know more than anyone if achieving success is easier in this year's edition.

2. Gegenpress or Vertical Tiki taka presets are not exploit tactics. High line, high press tactics shouldn't be considered exploit tactics. I think these are the most usual tactics players are having massive success with.

3. I only agree on this one, that people need to evaluate on their success on long term rather than just one and half seasons.

4. I think this is a completely pointless argument that misdirects the discussion. Seems like some people are thinking it's some kind of personal attack on them when someone else posts their success on the forum. And people are not straight up with it because people are NOT bragging. 

Edited by swippy

So far, way way too easy

I started as AFC Wimbledon. Predicted to finish 22nd. Signed just a couple of loan players and somehow finished 2nd. I play 4-3-3 in FM21 as I found 4-2-3-1 in FM20 was way too over powering. But 4-3-3 now with a DLP in front of the back 4 and a AP (attack) and  BWM (support) ahead of him.

In the Championship post promotion, I spent £250k, mainly on players from Scottish lower leagues. Sitting 2nd as we head into the run-in. It is nice but I'd much prefer a challenge, the need to grind out points. At the moment, winning most games without any tactical adjustment. 

1 hour ago, Etebaer said:

I play FM20 with better "AI Managers Mod" and "Realistic Injuries Mod" - i think the realistic injuries mod does more for the challenge than any other mod - should probably work for FM21 i guess...

Last year I played with the Realistic Injury rates and was pretty cool, for sure more challenging, didn't try to play it on this FM because I'm not sure it will work

4 hours ago, Etebaer said:

I play FM20 with better "AI Managers Mod" and "Realistic Injuries Mod" - i think the realistic injuries mod does more for the challenge than any other mod - should probably work for FM21 i guess...

Where can I go to find AI Managers Mod? Not come across this. Is it any good?

I really hope the devs don't listen to people who complain the game is easy while they're only playing teams from the first two English divisions. Yes, even Brentford probably has a lot more money to spend than 99% of the enjoyable teams to manage in FM21.

Also what I see nobody takes into account is that the game tends to get harder starting with the 2nd or 3rd season, at least it was so far for me in two of my FM21 saves.

For people who are dedicated enough to read tutorials, watch videos, learn from every good source, get expert on tactics ---- in sum people who come to the game's official forums --- ofcourse it's a bit more easier than for the vast majority of the players who, be it for the lack of time or lack of interest to go that deep, are not that dedicated to master the game.

In order to see if the game is "too easy" or "too hard", you'd need to see the full picture. To have stats from "everyone" who plays.

Finally, let's not forget that to fully emulate real life, the vast majority of players would never have success, would never win a trophy. Because the vast majority of the real life managers never do. They spend their careers going to weak teams, with boards that don't give them enough quality players to even stay in the current division and then sack them because it's always the manager's fault. In some countries, like mine (Portugal), it's not rare for a manager to be hired and then sacked after 3 or 4 games if they don't magically get those terrible players to win immediately. What a fun game would FM be...

Edited by 99

1 hour ago, Casual Javelin said:

I really hope the devs don't listen to people who complain the game is easy while they're only playing teams from the first two English divisions. Yes, even Brentford probably has a lot more money to spend than 99% of the enjoyable teams to manage in FM21.

Also what I see nobody takes into account is that the game tends to get harder starting with the 2nd or 3rd season, at least it was so far for me in two of my FM21 saves.

Even the second half of my first season in EPL is horror show for me as I have not won in last 6-7 games. Had I not started well I would have probably been in relegation zone. And don't have a clue how to organize my team to stop leaking goals. Game is good and not as easy as beta I'd say.

Things like the morale issue was fix to help but defensive tactics are still too passive in attack and once you are on top, teams will just sit back and barely attack you which will lead to a win 9/10 times. 

Also the AI doesn’t seem to make any tactical changes until they are pretty much out of the game and around the 80th minute.

These two major problems are the main culprit but based on your play style will make it even easier or slightly difficult. I.E are you someone who uses attributes masking, sign wonderkids or anyone outside of your scouting network, etc.

34 minutes ago, CM said:

Even the second half of my first season in EPL is horror show for me as I have not won in last 6-7 games. Had I not started well I would have probably been in relegation zone. And don't have a clue how to organize my team to stop leaking goals. Game is good and not as easy as beta I'd say.

what I've noticed is that this year's match engine really punishes plug&play tactic users. I'd recommend taking a good look at your team and realising what its strengths are, so you can adapt. For many years I was always playing attacking even if I was the underdog, with great results. This is the first year in a long while I've successfully integrated a few balanced mentality tactics in my rotation. Scouting next opposition to see my opponent's tactic mentality has been vital for me in choosing my own mentality for each upcoming game.
I also think matching the number of all central midfielders (defensive and offensive together) of the opponent helps controlling the game. But of course, take this with a pinch of salt, it's just my style, as I manage Lecce after promoting them to Serie A where top teams spend 100+ million every transfer window.

I'm not finding it too easy this year.

I started in the Beta with Lancaster newly promoted after the first season. In our first season we just survived relegation, the season after we got beat in the playoffs and then the third season we won the league but it was during this third season the full game came out and i noticed it got a lot harder in the last few months and we lost a 6 point lead, went down to 3rd then won on the last game of the season but it was noticably harder to win post beta.

Then in our first season in the conference national league it was possibly my hardest season on any FM as we struggled to survive, at new year we were 5 points adrift and i ended up spending a good couple of hours looking on forums and the internet, reading about tactical roles and pair combinations etc to tweak my tactics as even with over 20 years playing these games i was stuggling, eventually we had a good month of results that got us out of relegation then mixed results followed and we survived with 1 game to go, it was my hardest and best season as i had to work for survival, nothing came easy, i had to micro manage a lot of games changing tactics, roles, instructions, shouts etc to grind out wins or come back into games.

I have however made it harder for myself by relying on my scouts and director of football to find players instead of looking for players released from big clubs and using the player search functions so its harder to get good players.

I feel like my save is going how i'd expect, promotion and struggle to survive, improve the squad each year until promotion then repeat.

5 saat önce, Mars_Blackmon said:

Things like the morale issue was fix to help but defensive tactics are still too passive in attack and once you are on top, teams will just sit back and barely attack you which will lead to a win 9/10 times. 

Also the AI doesn’t seem to make any tactical changes until they are pretty much out of the game and around the 80th minute.

Yes I agree with those. This years main concern will be not ME this time but the AI I presume. Not from SI games or mods but there is some encouragement I observe from some users to try LLM. This doesn't help to improve  tactical AI. I think general AI(transfers, squad building etc.) needs processing power but tactical AI in matches could be improved? At least low fatigue players substituted early.

Edited by baris28

I've played one season since full release. Playing with Brighton I started with no rep or qualifications, created my own tactic (no gegenpress) and finished 8th and won the FA Cup, beating Man City 5-0 in the league at one point. Either it's the easiest version I've played or I've got five star current ability, who knows.

Downloaded MozzaPlays Scottish Pyramid database.

Started at the lowest level with Kinnoull.

3 players.

0 staff.

£0 budget.

£1k bank balance that runs out after a month.

Only allowed 4 players earning over £30pw before the board refuse to allow contracts over £7pw.

Only 4 loans allowed. No league clubs willing to loan players to your level.

No club wants to affiliate.

Around 8 divisions worth of clubs all without players, and all after the same players. 

Players are likely the worst in the game. Average stamina of 7. Strikers cant score consistently.

Stamina/natural fitness for the vast majority of players under 8. 3 games a week. Players fitness demolished after the first couple of months even on low tempo tactics.

Good challenge!

On 30/11/2020 at 20:36, freddieos said:

What is the newgen bug?

Could end up being a weekly thing this.

New thread. Week beginning 30.11.2020:Game STILL too easy

Make the game harder for yourself if its too easy. Dont manage Chelsea, manage Hornchurch instead.

But realise this:

1) You are playing a COMPUTER GAME. If you found managing real life Chelsea too easy, id call you the special one.

2) If the computer game reflected real life, it would be pointless playing as 99% of teams who never win anything. If youre judging success purely on bashing everyone

3) If the game was as hard as real life, no one would be bothered to play the game.

By starting new threads all the time saying the game is too easy.......what will this achieve? some sort of megadeath impossible patch designed just for you?

18 hours ago, madskull.93 said:

Last year I played with the Realistic Injury rates and was pretty cool, for sure more challenging, didn't try to play it on this FM because I'm not sure it will work

it hasn't been released yet for FM21, the creator is testing it right now.