Conceding Too Many

Hi all,

before i start moaning i am conceding too many. I have used this formation i made from the start however 2 seasons later, back to back promotions i am conceding far too many. 

I purely understand my team isn't the greatest being in the Premier League. But towards the end of the Championship & first few games i've conceded far to many. 

I have now moved my BWM to a HB in the CDM position as well. But below it what i used frequently.

Issue: Majority of goals are coming from either the ball over the top or not winning the 1st ball in the middle of the pitch, i'm thinking it my BWM is not protecting enough hence why i've moved to a "defensive midfielder" in CDM.

image.png

Edited by jtaddy

Both flanks are way too attacking and a ball winning midfielder as the centre mid definitely doesn’t help that, you was right to put a half back in there but that’s nowhere near the end of your problems. Your tactic is definition of defensive suicide especially considering you’re an underdog.

Edited by Jaydenoren

15 minutes ago, Jaydenoren said:

Both flanks are way too attacking and a ball winning midfielder as the centre mid definitely doesn’t help that, you was right to put a half back in there but that’s nowhere near the end of your problems. Your tactic is definition of defensive suicide especially considering you’re an underdog.

so i've dropped my wingers to support already after the post. Main concern thought is not winning many balls in the middle of the pitch. In fairness in the phases of play when oppositions have attacked i dont leak many down the sides. So this defensive suicide is a bit OTT especially in the championship i was the underdog 

Mate, it's not surprising you concede too many goals. How do you think of creating the space needed for your attackers to score? Who are your scorers and creators? I can't see a feasible attacking and defensive plan here. What kind of play are your players capable of?

2 hours ago, jtaddy said:

so i've dropped my wingers to support already after the post. Main concern thought is not winning many balls in the middle of the pitch. In fairness in the phases of play when oppositions have attacked i dont leak many down the sides. So this defensive suicide is a bit OTT especially in the championship i was the underdog 

The premier league is a completely different beast from the championship. I’ve had unbalanced tactics that succeeded in the championship as an underdog but then failed in the prem because I was defensively naive. The roles and duties aren’t the only problem, your TIs are needlessly over aggressive and there are some contradicting TIs. 

if you’re going to stick with the 4-3-3 I’d take off prevent short GK distribution and due to the strength of the team and your defensive woes I’d get rid of counter press. With this you probably won’t be opening so much space for the opposition (which is why you’re not winning the ball in the middle most likely)

id also like to know how you’re doing going forward, because if you’re struggling scoring I wouldn’t be surprised with some of the instructions you’re using.

Here are the most obvious reasons for your defensive woes:

- very shaky midfield in terms of roles

- insufficient defensive cover on both flanks

- tight marking makes no sense in a tactic like yours

- such an aggressive manner of defending (higher lines + more urgent + prevent short GKD + counter-press) is probably too demanding for the capabilities of your players

However, attacking (in-possession) instructions can also cause defensive problems. For example - the work ball into box. If your players are not good enough to execute it properly, they can easily lose the ball in a dangerous area and allow the opposition to launch a quick counter while your defense is out of shape.

So there are a lot of things you have to think about when creating a tactic, because everything is interrelated.