FM21 - Match ratings discussion

In all my seasons so far, its always the center halves getting the best ratings. The attacking players - I am finding it very difficult to average over 7.0, even while we are scoring enough goals and winning enough games. It appears to me as if their ratings have been nerfed somewhat.

Case in point, how do you score FOUR goals in a game and not even get a 9.0, forget a 10.0. What do you need to get good ratings?

20201204115958_1.thumb.jpg.7546aea790310d62159e76244a863a5c.jpg

I know that they said they had changed the way the match ratings work so maybe thats effected it, but yeah under 9 rating for scoring 4 goals seems a bit low, maybe he had a shocker for the rest of the game and if he hadnt scored any, would have been sub  5 for the match rating?

Im having the opposite results. I dont see any of my CBs averaging above 7 considering we have the most solid defence in serie A.

On a side note ronaldo my best rated player in the league is only averaging 7.36 after scoring 21 goals in 21 match.

Perhaps it's how the ratings are calculated? Some of my best rated performers were my centre backs, and that appears to be largely from the sheer number of headers they're doing. This may not be as prevelant in higher divisions due to better technique?

I'm also finding that centre backs are getting higher ratings more often than any other position. Whichever 2 CB's I use frequently in a season will top my average rating list. 

I'm half way through my current league season. My main 2 centre backs are averaging 7.59 and 7.34. My next best average is for a centre mid with 7.27. My striker has 14 goals in 17 games but is back on 7.19. That highest rated defender is getting 0.4 per match more than a lot of my regulars. 

• 1 month later...

I also have this problem but mainly with DMs and CMs. Finished 2nd in PL with Newcastle and my CM got 6.65 average and played all matches (10 assists, 2 goals). Also one of my strikers got 7.2 and he scored 35 goals in 38 league matches.

But my main concern is with the ones that get below 7.0. They tend to loose their value and also their chances to play for the national team which is very frustrating. I've bought £50 m CMs to see their value get below £30 at the end of the season :(

Really hope this will be sorted out in an update arriving soon.

I'm really struggling with my CMs as well.  My system only has one but whoever I play there tends to be my worst player, no matter what role I give them,  One of them is supposed to be my best player as well but none of them are averaging over 6.7

On 04/12/2020 at 07:31, karanhsingh said:

In all my seasons so far, its always the center halves getting the best ratings. The attacking players - I am finding it very difficult to average over 7.0, even while we are scoring enough goals and winning enough games. It appears to me as if their ratings have been nerfed somewhat.

Case in point, how do you score FOUR goals in a game and not even get a 9.0, forget a 10.0. What do you need to get good ratings?

20201204115958_1.thumb.jpg.7546aea790310d62159e76244a863a5c.jpg

I stopped playing FM21. Completely broken rating system which eliminates all the fun of the game. 

Although I have only played 10 games in so far in 2037, My defence go from a low 7 to 7.4 while having the 2nd least goals conceded in the league prem, only 2 less than 1st, 4 cleansheets out of 8 in prem. Thats outrageous should be 8-9.

My main striker who is on fire with 18/19 matches won, 5 player of the match, scored 17, 3 assist in 11 games doesnt include the 20 goals in none completive or the 24 goals for international his avg raiting is 8.22

2 hours ago, ThomasHK1979 said:

I stopped playing FM21. Completely broken rating system which eliminates all the fun of the game. 

Same here mate I cant stand the fact that key tackles isn't getting logged as I like looking at all that when doing my transfers

3 hours ago, PandaIsland said:

Although I have only played 10 games in so far in 2037, My defence go from a low 7 to 7.4 while having the 2nd least goals conceded in the league prem, only 2 less than 1st, 4 cleansheets out of 8 in prem. Thats outrageous should be 8-9.

My main striker who is on fire with 18/19 matches won, 5 player of the match, scored 17, 3 assist in 11 games doesnt include the 20 goals in none completive or the 24 goals for international his avg raiting is 8.22

Im one of the biggest critics on this site when it comes to average ratings and think they need to be improved massively but I think you're wrong here. Yes 4 cleansheets out of 8 is good, but its not outstanding. Would'nt say they deserve a 7.8 or above, as that is typically left for players having borderline world-class performances.

Anything above a 7 is a good average rating so the fact your defenders are averaging between 7-7.4 is very good, IMO.

In my case is the opposite. I tend to find that players that contribute more in attack have it easier to score higher. Striekrs tend to be on the highest average rating side, thoug still thats rarelly more than 7.3. Maybe is also easier for them to have an odd low score here or there if they dont get chances in a match.

My defenders dont seem to ever even get close to an 8 unless they have scored from a header or something. I only saw one once getting above 7.5 on (mainly) defensive contribution alone. CBs do tend to easily get 7-7.2 when they do decent defensively. FBs tend to break into 7.4-7.5 easier too but usually tis because of a lot of key passes and offensive contribution, and also due to opponents been forced to the wings often.  They are a bit like strikers that its more common for them to at the same time get the odd low 6-6.5 range.

The positions I find the most problematic are the central CB in 3 CB defences and more defensive oriented midfielders. Those seem to score low quite often with a 7-7.1 here and there been their "good" matches. I dont seem to see the reason, I dont know if its jsut because they get less involved overall. I have seen 6.5 with the CB having both 100% tackles and headers, even if those only were 1 and 4 respectively. Its true that in many matches they mainly do off the ball work and headers away, but I dont see why that should mean a bad rating (and the game does consider 6.5 and below bad) and thats basically doing their job. I think the game can't expect this cb doing a lot of key passes or many tackles as opossition rarelly charges through the centre for that to occur. And sweeping (thinking of mdifielders too) seems like its not rewarded much.

I am also having the exact opposite problem. I have conceded the lowest number of goals yet my starting centre backs have the lowest average ratings in my squad. What's even crazier is that one of them is my 3rd highest scorer...

I play with 3 centre backs btw.

Edited by tiotom92

I’m sure this has been answered. But is the rating given taken as per that match or the players ability. What I mean if Messi plays for a league 2 team and scores a couple and is clearly the best player on the pitch. But does his rating then go how he compared in that match. Or would he get a low mark because he’s obviously a world beater well above his level. So would he get a low rating as clearly should be bashing half a dozen in against a team at that level. 

On 06/02/2021 at 12:57, jckc221013jamie said:

player ratings in my save isn't no where near real life ratings, this this is from the site Football statistics, who scored.com

1.png

2.png

3.png

4.png

5.png

Ratings have no standardised scale, so there's no comparison between FM and real life websites, you can't even compare one website to another. Like comparing apples and oranges

I'm currently top of the league by 5 points and this is my starting line ups average ratings. There is clearly something wrong, as a team with these ratings shouldn't be anywhere near the top. Especially the midfield and forwards as these ratings indicate that they have been very poor when obviously they have not or I wouldn't be winning the league so easily.

085fe8ec7ed67f445fd5742ebac2e2fe.jpg

Again, I would like to adress this issue. I am playing with Levante and for my second season I managed to get Sandro Tonali in my team. He is playing on his preferred role as a defensive playmaker and has currently an average of 6,69. I am positioned 4th in the league. It does not matter in what ever role I play him, his ratings still do not go up. Consequently his value will decrease and he will certainly not be picked for the Italian national team.

So please SI, is this an issue you would like to adress or are we hoping in vain here? I have been playing CM/FM for more than 20 years and this issue I am afraid killes a lot of the enjoyment to be honest...

• SI Staff
18 hours ago, Slapstick2244 said:

I'm currently top of the league by 5 points and this is my starting line ups average ratings. There is clearly something wrong, as a team with these ratings shouldn't be anywhere near the top. Especially the midfield and forwards as these ratings indicate that they have been very poor when obviously they have not or I wouldn't be winning the league so easily.

085fe8ec7ed67f445fd5742ebac2e2fe.jpg

Bear in mind that an 'average' rating is around 6.8, so anything higher than that means the player is performing better than average. Your forwards ratings seem appropriate to me at a quick glance, one has 4 goals and 2 assists in 23 appearances which is pretty poor, and the other has an above average rating with 8 goals in 23 appearances. Going by the stats visible and the ratings, it suggests that your team is really solid defensively and that's the main reason why you're top of the league.

On 10/02/2021 at 13:12, Jack Joyce said:

Bear in mind that an 'average' rating is around 6.8, so anything higher than that means the player is performing better than average. Your forwards ratings seem appropriate to me at a quick glance, one has 4 goals and 2 assists in 23 appearances which is pretty poor, and the other has an above average rating with 8 goals in 23 appearances. Going by the stats visible and the ratings, it suggests that your team is really solid defensively and that's the main reason why you're top of the league.

I was also the second highest top scorer and I'd like to point out that that forward was only 17 when I threw him in the first team and my assistant subbed him off quite early in nearly every match. When he stopped being subbed towards the seasons end he scored 6 in 7 games. My ability to score goals is completely fine and wasn't the point I was trying to bring up.

Le 09/02/2021 à 22:01, henrikbanche a dit :

Again, I would like to adress this issue. I am playing with Levante and for my second season I managed to get Sandro Tonali in my team. He is playing on his preferred role as a defensive playmaker and has currently an average of 6,69. I am positioned 4th in the league. It does not matter in what ever role I play him, his ratings still do not go up. Consequently his value will decrease and he will certainly not be picked for the Italian national team.

So please SI, is this an issue you would like to adress or are we hoping in vain here? I have been playing CM/FM for more than 20 years and this issue I am afraid killes a lot of the enjoyment to be honest...

Make him take corners, you'll see. Biggest cheese in FM 21.