Custom FA Style Cup

Digijustin

I'm trying to make a custom FA style cup and having some logic issues. I can add the leagues into the Editor and it creates the rounds fine but I want to mimic the English FA Cup style as close as I can with different levels of leagues entering at different rounds. 

I'm having a hard time with the logic to do this. I have 651 teams and want them all to play but trying to think this out hurts my brain. Is there a tool that others use for this or do I just struggle through it? I know I can figure it out but wondering if there is an easier path.

Thanks

11 hours ago, Digijustin said:

I'm trying to make a custom FA style cup and having some logic issues. I can add the leagues into the Editor and it creates the rounds fine but I want to mimic the English FA Cup style as close as I can with different levels of leagues entering at different rounds. 

I'm having a hard time with the logic to do this. I have 651 teams and want them all to play but trying to think this out hurts my brain. Is there a tool that others use for this or do I just struggle through it? I know I can figure it out but wondering if there is an easier path.

Thanks

No you just need to use your math.

When you calculate rounds - go backwards. From final to first round.

11 hours ago, Digijustin said:

Thanks

Same, i hate trying to work it out.

34 minutes ago, krlenjushka said:

No you just need to use your math.

When you calculate rounds - go backwards. From final to first round.

That's what I was afraid of. I made some good headway last night and continuing today. Now trying to get 403 teams down to 116 in a fair manner is tough.

32 minutes ago, wkdsoul said:

Same, i hate trying to work it out.

Agreed. Whoever does this as a job is a genius in my eyes

6 minutes ago, Digijustin said:

That's what I was afraid of. I made some good headway last night and continuing today. Now trying to get 403 teams down to 116 in a fair manner is tough.

Agreed. Whoever does this as a job is a genius in my eyes

Listen its very easy to calculate in some basic type.

For example - you have 651 teams. If you want to know how many teams you need for preliminary rounds just use this:

2   4   8    16   32   64   128   256    512

so 512 is maximum for your number of clubs.

651-512=139

139x2 = 278

278 is number of teams you need in preliminary round.

651-278  =373 

so you have 373 more teams.

you will have 139 winners of preliminary round + 373 = 512

after that all cup rounds are normal.

However when you want teams from different level to enter at different rounds you need to go backwards.

You can also use this "formula" when you add big number of teams from some lower level.

You can regionalize preliminary cup stages by adding multiple stages and use teams from specific regions or competitions.