Too easy, or are you just getting better?

There's a lot of posts this year about the game being 'too easy'. I have a suspicion that at least one factor may be the improvement of the average player. This could be due to a number of factors:

1. People playing more due to increased Covid related downtime

2. More resource on how to do well - YouTubers, forums etc

3. The average experience of each player

I feel as though I learn at least a few new things each year, which helps make the game easier. I try and give myself little challenges to then make it harder again, which in turn often opens up new aspects of the game and improves the way I manage. Ulitmately making it a more fulfilling game.

The amount of bugs are annoying though. If the team could afford it, I would welcome a fallow year, where just a transfer update was released, and instead of developing a new game with new features, we had a game that worked almost perfectly. I imagine it's just not feasible though

Are there really a lot of posts about the game being too easy, though? It seems to be a handful of posters here, and some on the official Steam review page.

Best regards

Someone who has played CM/FM for 25 years and right now is on his 30-ish failed attempt to win home against a crap team with one draw and no wins 20 games into the season.

Edited by Viking

Before I started playing this season, I noticed what seemed like a lot of posts about it. It certainly seemed more than on previous versions. Personally I have found it slightly easier in some ways. My on pitch results have been better than other seasons, but it is harder to find players and keep the better ones. But, managing in England, I think that is more related to Brexit. As for on the pitch, now I have declared I am doing well, I am surely going to tank. I dunno, I definitely feel like I know more and more about the game, and at the same time it isn' fair on new players to expect developers to keep making the game harder.

My tip if you are struggling against a lesser team is to back off a bit. Invite them on and hit on the break. If they are parking the bus then there will be very little space. Worst case scenario is you get a draw and can move on.

On 12/02/2021 at 09:45, Viking said:

Are there really a lot of posts about the game being too easy, though? It seems to be a handful of posters here, and some on the official Steam review page.

Best regards

Someone who has played CM/FM for 25 years and right now is on his 30-ish failed attempt to win home against a crap team with one draw and no wins 20 games into the season.

Play gegenpress and you'll win

I've had some real success recently on FM and while I couldn't comment on whether there is more content available, i've definitely accessed a lot more than I normally would due to your first point about extra time compared to normal.

Just rotate your squad, and any blank/clean slate tactic will let you massively overachieve. If you do some minor tweaks during games to stop the opposition and the way they create chances you pretty much reach your 5yr plan in 2 yrs.

There do seem to be more posts than previous years on how easy it is. 

@Caning the Days brings up a good point. There are so many resources and tips out there. And just one can greatly reduce the challenge. If you don’t even use OP tactics or any type of “cheats”, but use the wonderkid shortlists to pick up good players, you will find things a lot easier than having to scout to find a good player. Or if you do nothing to help yourself, except read an article on how to buy players for cheap and reduce the financial burdens, that will especially over time, have a similar effect. 

But as other people posted, I think a lot has to do with what database setup, club, players, tactics, league, etc, that you choose. The game is a wide range of easy or difficult based on how you set things up, even if all of us had the same amount of knowledge and skill.

I see these types of post, too easy etc. They play a big club, know all the wonderkids and best staff and sign the same players . Download tactics and training then moan. 

Trying starting unemployed,  load as many leagues as possible, create your own tactics from scratch and only buy players your scout finds.

If somebody wants to play by exploiting the AI , downloading wonder tactics and buying all the best youngest up that up to them but dont moan it's easy.

Every year I choose a team expected to struggle in relegation battle, and every year I end up fighting for CL places first season. Only download real name fix files, no tactic. Usually tick the "disable first transfer window" option so no wonderkids lists needed.

On 13/02/2021 at 19:24, zindrinho said:

Just rotate your squad, and any blank/clean slate tactic will let you massively overachieve. If you do some minor tweaks during games to stop the opposition and the way they create chances you pretty much reach your 5yr plan in 2 yrs.

What he said! ;)

FM has gotten harder, there are so many more functions these days we have to keep an eye on and particularly new players have a lot more functions to get used to. Just play some fm15 or earlier you’ll know realise how basic it looks, now it’s much more sophisticated as an experienced player you will have a general idea of what works and what doesn’t in any game. Constantly introducing new features to make it more realistic is key to making it harder, in my opinion sega do very well there. After a while everyone figures out what is good, the cycle continues.

Until the technology is there to properly program the AI to behave more like humans it will remain a relatively “easy game”. The AI does not attempt to work your tactics out, it only adapts to it- the five at the back formations roll out for one. I hope one day we’ll have that challenge of trying not to be worked out, but until then there’s only so much that can be really done imo. 

I've been playing FM since CM4 and I haven't found this version to be any easier than the rest. Like most strategy games, it's always easy once you know what you're doing (games like Civ are the exception because they let the AI "cheat" by giving them bonuses).

I do think you might be right, especially with the rise in popularity of FM YouTubers who teach others to be good at the game.

Edited by tiotom92

I think the game is turning into "a boat trip" for experienced players (I've been since fm15):

-If you are clear that you have to form a team with positive personalities (determined, professional, etc.)

-If you maintain high morale through individual or group meetings

- If you use the same equipment over and over again without doing rotations (it is remarkable to see that although your players get very tired, they almost never get injured)

- Using gegenpress tactics also makes the game much easier (many times the game forces you to do it because other tactics do not work)

-The first seasons are usually more difficult but as you advance 3 or 4 seasons the AI starts to make useless transfers and the difficulty is diluted (it does not cover the players that lose, it simply often pays a lot of money for players with prestige)

- It is also observed that the AI hires employees worthy of semi-professional leagues for Premier League level teams. (a lot of work to do with AI)

With this that after following these tips, you can reach the top quickly. Last year playing with Bolton I reached the Champions League after 7 seasons (starting from L1 and with -12 points)

Edited by Costanino Hummels