Crazy idea: Relegation Cup where the winner gets a relegation as prize

Wolf_pd

Well, it is not so obvious that you are playing for your downfall. My idea is this:

A relegation cup where each game the loser progresses and not the winner. Winning a game ensures you are not relegated.

I am not sure it is possible, but I like the idea to research it a bit.

It is possible. It should be done like a relegation playoff, the loser qualifies for the next round etc. Then in the fate action for the last stage the losing team has the fate "champion".

It is also possible to assign a place, 0, 1, etc.

Edited by Samuel77

On 30/03/2021 at 06:06, Samuel77 said:

It is possible. It should be done like a relegation playoff, the loser qualifies for the next round etc. Then in the fate action for the last stage the losing team has the fate "champion".

It is also possible to assign a place, 0, 1, etc.

Yep, that is the way I was thinking.

On 30/03/2021 at 05:09, alian62 said:

can you explain a bit more 

As Samuel says, it is a sort of relegation playoff, but played outside the competition and not as part of it. That way the cup could be played during the season while the competition is still ongoing.

The reverse psychology which the game then would have to work out is what it does to your reputation as it is a competition you are not supposed to win,

• 2 years later...

While redoing various files for the Iron Curtain I found out that the editor allows you to assign. It was something that was already in at least FM20, but I overlooked it and never set it.

You can set which round the loser or winner qualifies for. So that means you can set the loser to qualify for next round while the winner crashes out. Something to think of if I can use it in the Historical Divergence competitions :D

A relegation tournament would go as such that every time the loser would continue while the winner would crash and have no fates, while the eventuel loser of the final has a relegation fate.

Anyone aware of a tournament that works like that?

There must be a "loser goes on" relegation playoff somewhere where, like, 2 top division teams play off, and then the loser plays a lower division team. For some reason I'm thinking the Italian lower divisions at some point in history? But as a cup, I wonder if you could assign the eventual relegation fates to the league via fate actions, so that the league is satisfied that it has a relegation spot (would be set to "0" but maximum spots set to the total going down). Loser goes on is easy enough with "next round for winner" or fate actions though, and then with fate actions can do whatever you like

It will need a fate to ensure the relegated teams ends up in the right place. I consider it a play-out tournament. Not sure how the game handles it in terms of expectations though. I have to see if the ranking system like it to be upside down.

Ranking levels for each round should help. It will at least know that a team is securing safety (or whatever their fate may be) by winning, although it might have to continually refresh its expectations each time it loses. Probably no different from some of the more exotic systems already in there tbf (thinking Belgian playoffs for some reason)

2 hours ago, themodelcitizen said:

Ranking levels for each round should help. It will at least know that a team is securing safety (or whatever their fate may be) by winning, although it might have to continually refresh its expectations each time it loses. Probably no different from some of the more exotic systems already in there tbf (thinking Belgian playoffs for some reason)

The Belgian playoffs are worse :D