Manager contracts

• SI Staff

A managers contract in terms of the game wouldn't add that much to the gameplay in my opinion which is why I've never put it into FMM, simply put you WANT to be at the club you're at - that is why you chose to manage them in the game.

If you had to negotiate a contract with a wage then it would have a negligible effect on the game as the clubs budget manager wage separately to their player salaries and whenever I play FM PC I simply negotiate my salary down and maximize its length so that I don't have the hassle of having to do it again for a while.

If we ever add in a lifestyle element where you could spend the money then perhaps - but frankly its hugely unlikely.

• 1 month later...

You are right but then seeing it from other way. It would make the game more fun. With no contracts and all. I can be stuck at a team for years cause I don't want to resign to be on bad terms with that team. Not everybody is Alex Ferguson or Arsene Wenger to be at one team. Some of us loves to leave coach and manage different clubs and contract is a good way of helping.

9 hours ago, Timmy0816 said:

You are right but then seeing it from other way. It would make the game more fun. With no contracts and all. I can be stuck at a team for years cause I don't want to resign to be on bad terms with that team. Not everybody is Alex Ferguson or Arsene Wenger to be at one team. Some of us loves to leave coach and manage different clubs and contract is a good way of helping.

Out of interest, when was the last time a manager left at the end of their contract in real life? I'm sure it happens, but I wouldn't think it'd be very often. Most exits are either sackings (or occasionally resignations) or moving to a better job. 

I'm not totally against contracts in the game, but I'd want SI Games to make it actually have some meaning (rather than it be a gimmick such as just being about how much money you get). ie, stuff like this (bearing in mind I have no idea what full FM does, haven't played it in years):

If you don't sign a new contract when you're nearing the end of your contract:

• Maybe it would have an effect on team dynamics (player X worried that manager y will leave, negative affect on team morale and loyalty, etc). 
  • Maybe players would be hesitant to sign with the club, because they wouldn't be sure that you'd still be there.
  • Maybe players would be more inclined to leave. 
  • Maybe it would affect your loyalty rating, maybe your standing with the board and the fans etc.
  • Maybe if you're not quite meeting the board's expectations, maybe they'd be quicker to sack you because you hadn't committed to the club
  • Maybe the board would give you an ultimatum to sign a new contract and if you didn't they might start looking for your successor and you might be squeezed out there.
  • Maybe there'd be new events, such as sections of the fans criticising you, which in conjunction with other things (poor performances, not picking favourites, selling good players) could turn the mood against you. 

Some of those things would have obvious flip sides if you have a long contract. But then there'd have to be some penalty for having long contracts or everyone would just sign the longest one they could (like @Marc Vaughan said he does in full FMM). Maybe clubs would be less likely to offer you jobs because of the cost of buying you out of a long contract. But that doesn't seem enough of a con to offset all the flip side benefits to the above.

Some of those might not make sense and there could be bunch of other things possible - but I'm sure there'd be some ways to weave contract length into the game, in a way that made it a richer more realistic experience. Equally I'd be happy if it's never added to the game - I think there are probably a whole lot of other things SI Games could add instead.

• SI Staff
3 hours ago, StephenCronin said:

Out of interest, when was the last time a manager left at the end of their contract in real life? I'm sure it happens, but I wouldn't think it'd be very often. Most exits are either sackings (or occasionally resignations) or moving to a better job. 

They don't really (at least in the major leagues) - simple as that.

This kind of feature would be far more appropriate if we created a 'player management' game where you were the player - in something like that I could see you purchasing items and bling to show off with and attract advertisers etc. .... within a standard 'football manager' product I think there are a lot more features which have more visible/vital effects that can be implemented before we start thinking about this sort of thing tbh.

• 5 weeks later...

Thinking about it now and FM for PC. There's manager contract for pc and I don't think the manager has to spend the money or there's any lifestyle element. It's just a way to make the game more fun. And some other thing. Why isn't there team awards. Like you managing Manchester united and then there's Manchester united player of the season, signing of the season etc