Football Manager 2021 Official Feedback Thread

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi . Theres an error verifying nation rules for England. I get a massive list of leagues and u23 leagues that are missing teams. I tested it without changing anything to do with the leagues giving me errors. Anybody else had this problem?

Just now, Purple said:

Hi . Theres an error verifying nation rules for England. I get a massive list of leagues and u23 leagues that are missing teams. I tested it without changing anything to do with the leagues giving me errors. Anybody else had this problem?

Only everyone who's tried to get rid of Brexit :D 

No solution from me, if it's a Brexit fix you're looking for there's one on the Steam workshop  (not far enough into the save to confirm it works yet, but it's available to try)

Just now, Purple said:

Yeah, the same thing has been posted in the Brexit thread. Maybe keep your eye on that thread as they are trying to come up with solutions. Hopefully there will be a fix at some point.

3 minutes ago, Purple said:

Best to ask in the Editor's Hideaway forum for help with this

The game is amazing however

It is awfully a struggle using the Set Pieces Creator. it lacks positional structure and editing simplicity. 

I have different positions taking set pieces (CB taking corners, CM taking throw ins etc), however this disrupts the structure of my set piece attacking positions.

When taking corners against opposition I always want 3 people at SB Position, 2 people outside the box and the rest inside the box. 

however this structure is always disrupted when a person assigned at SB Position is taking corner as this results in 2 people are SB Position

In the game there should be a basic structure players should follow for example always have 3 at SB Position when taking corners against opposition despite who the corner taker is.

The problem is that it makes me vulnerable to counter attackers

image.png.158fe56de2098abdd477f2a4e7d9db19.png

Edited by kingking

There has been a lot talk about the AI during beta phase and one thing that many people pointed out was how the AI manages players' morales. Related to this a simple question: does the game still work in a way that the human players can spam their whole team with "I have faith" team talk and practically always get a positive reaction from majority of the team? If this is still in the game, might be a good place to start when thinking about the "difficulty level".

2 minutes ago, OHoh said:

Are there any plans to fix the crosses and shots being blocked excessively? I'm a comprehensive highlights guy and it is hard to watch a highlight full of corners and throw ins

Any issues like this that are raised in the Bugs forum will be reviewed

44 minutes ago, Jack Joyce said:

Just to confirm, FrazT is correct. The ME does not treat the human and AI player any different (in fact it doesn't know which team is human-managed at all), so the changes in regard to difficulty were to external factors we identified that filtered through to the matchday.

In terms of ME AI changes, there was nothing major, but there were changes to fix various bloopers/refereeing issues and some minor balancing (but nothing that would drastically affect how the ME plays yet).

Leave the ME well alone it is a thing of beauty this year!

1 minute ago, OHoh said:

really? should i try re- downloading the game?? seems like I'm the only one with the problem

It's probably a combination of the tactics you are playing and your own expectations.  I'm playing a tactic that's focussed through the centre, so I'm not seeing many corners or throw-ins. If you're playing an attacking wing-focussed tactic I'd expect a lot more.

3 minutes ago, Nikopol said:

Re-downloading normally won't help you.

Not seeing what you see it's hard whether you are the only one with the problem or that you perhaps simply come to different conclusions.

Right maybe my expectations are too high 

3 minutes ago, rp1966 said:

It's probably a combination of the tactics you are playing and your own expectations.  I'm playing a tactic that's focussed through the centre, so I'm not seeing many corners or throw-ins. If you're playing an attacking wing-focussed tactic I'd expect a lot more.

how many do you get in a game? if I may ask

2 hours ago, turgi said:

This is painful. So much space for nothing!

image.thumb.png.7f3e24c0d3370aa61c0533d55aaba5b1.png

I have a theory that these screens are designed like this because if they were actually designed how UI text book design you wouldn't be able to see the brand new 3D environments in the background.

I say that because it is literally the only rationale reason as it is a subjectively terrible UI.

Lots of wasted space, important information that is too small and jumps all around the screen every time u click its just a baffling design choice.

6 minutes ago, OHoh said:

how many do you get in a game? if I may ask

image.png.8886f0b8e5b57eb4138820ac609ac905.png

Study across top level football that I found gives:

Results showed that there is an average of 108 interruptions per match. Throw-ins (40) and free kicks (33) were most frequent.

So that doesn't seem unreasonable - throws maybe a little on the high side given that it's not often with my wing backs in my possession set-up. Score was 1-1.

Edited by rp1966

6 minutes ago, Double0Seven said:

There are some user made dark skins with no more purple so thats a decent alternative. Unless you really want the purple. 

I don't mind purple. My main issues are with white backgrounds in some news. Ok maybe I could also do without the purple.

Can you suggest me a simple, stable dark skin? I'm a complete noob when it comes to skins and graphics.

5 minutes ago, kandersson said:

I don't mind purple. My main issues are with white backgrounds in some news. Ok maybe I could also do without the purple.

Can you suggest me a simple, stable dark skin? I'm a complete noob when it comes to skins and graphics.

[link removed]

This one looks ok? Havent used it yet but there are a lot out there. Like a lot. 

3 minutes ago, rp1966 said:

image.png.8886f0b8e5b57eb4138820ac609ac905.png

Study across top level football that I found gives:

Results showed that there is an average of 108 interruptions per match. Throw-ins (40) and free kicks (33) were most frequent.

So that doesn't seem unreasonable - throws maybe a little on the high side given that it's not often with my wing backs in my possession set-up. Score was 1-1.

you wanna see mine? lol

the stats your game is showing is exactly what i'm looking for

20201124152826_1.jpg

3 minutes ago, Double0Seven said:

[link removed]

This one looks ok? Havent used it yet but there are a lot out there. Like a lot. 

Don't mind you PMing him, but don't want links to 3rd party sites please. :thup:

@kandersson, also worth checking the skinning forum here. I know (having looked yesterday very quickly) that there was one that look decent. There may be more already.

1 minute ago, OHoh said:

you wanna see mine? lol

20201124152826_1.jpg

Using 5-2-1-2 WB as a fluid counter-attack variant. But we're straying into tactical territory, so I'll leave it before a moderator reminds us this is the feedback thread.

I have played about 10 matches since the full release (continued my BETA save) and I can notice a nerf to finishing / decision making in the final third. I don't wanna get into that "difficulty level" non-sense conversation, but if finishing has indeed been nerfed (and it's not just a coincidental lack of form on my striker's part) it seems unnatural and unrealistic. It is not just for me, but also for the AI. The best example I can give you is my game vs Lazio. My striker (Gabriel Barbosa) missed 2 chances that he wouldn't have missed in the beta. Maybe 1 of them, but both ? Not really. Then James Rodrigues (Lazio player) finds himself  1vs1 with my GK, Plizzari and his shot went miles away from the post, even thoug the angle was near perfect and the distance to goal was about 12m.

I have spotted this trend over a few games now I believe it's a massive step back from the BETA.

GKs also seemed to be gotten a buff, which didn't really seemed like it was required, I personally believe they played really well and performed realistic in the beta.

On a positive note, it seems that tackles have improved, both sliding tackles and on feet challenges.

I can also notice a more variety in direct free kicks execution, which is welcomed.

FM20 suffered from complex ME issues which made it unplayable for me. FM21 seemed to have made great strides on getting rid of such issues and for the most part I consider it a massive success. I hope that the nerf to finishing that I am noticing since last night (full version) is just a fluke or a poor run of form for the strikers. I am going to end my feedback by saying that all the changes and all of the features that are / will be implemented (on the tactical side) should serve one purpose and one purpose only: to give us the tools to create tactics that can work (as long as they are done correctly) that are not biased towards an in real life trend (gegenpress or whatever the case). Let me put it this way: IRL you do get new trends because those tacticians that create such trends have the freedom to create them in the first place. That's how they are created and perfected in the first place. There was no 3 at the back until ... it was. There was no total football ... until it was. IRL anything, literally anything can work (to an extent) and thats the beauty of the game. This year's full release is the best I have seen in the last 3 years and I hope it will only improve :applause:

Edited by SebastianRO

33 minutes ago, Broken_Record said:

There has been a lot talk about the AI during beta phase and one thing that many people pointed out was how the AI manages players' morales. Related to this a simple question: does the game still work in a way that the human players can spam their whole team with "I have faith" team talk and practically always get a positive reaction from majority of the team? If this is still in the game, might be a good place to start when thinking about the "difficulty level".

Having played some since the full release, that appears to have been changed so player managers can't just spam those things.

You should remember that spamming those wasn't universally good in the first place though - constantly doing it could make players overconfident and complacent, which is why it's good to tell them that you expect them to do well, or demand they do well, even when they're on a winning streak.

1 minute ago, rp1966 said:

Using 5-2-1-2 WB as a fluid counter-attack variant. But we're straying into tactical territory, so I'll leave it before a moderator reminds us this is the feedback thread.

dude but 24 corners? for me this is difficult to explain using tactics...

4 minutes ago, SebastianRO said:

I have played about 10 matches since the full release (continued my BETA save) and I can notice a nerf to finishing / decision making in the final third. I don't wanna get into that "difficulty level" non-sense conversation, but if finishing has indeed been nerfed (and it's not just a coincidental lack of form on my striker's part) it seems unnatural and unrealistic. It is not just for me, but also for the AI. The best example I can give you is my game vs Lazio. My striker (Gabriel Barbosa) missed 2 chances that he wouldn't have missed in the beta. Maybe 1 of them, but both ? Not really. Then James Rodrigues (Lazio player) finds himself  1vs1 with my GK, Plizzari and his shot went miles away from the post, even thoug the angle was near perfect and the distance to goal was about 12m.

I have spotted this trend over a few games now I believe it's a massive step back from the BETA.

GKs also seemed to be gotten a buff, which didn't really seemed like it was required, I personally believe they played really well and performed realistic in the beta.

On a positive note, it seems that tackles have improved, both sliding tackles and on feet challenges.

I can also notice a more variety in direct free kicks execution, which is welcomed.

FM20 suffered from complex ME issues which made it unplayable for me. FM21 seemed to have made great strides on getting rid of such issues and for the most part I consider it a massive success. I hope that the nerf to finishing that I am noticing since last night (full version) is just a fluke or a poor run of form for the strikers. I am going to end my feedback by saying that all the changes and all of the features that are / will be implemented (on the tactical side) should serve one purpose and one purpose only: to give us the tools to create tactics that can work (as long as they are done correctly) that are not biased towards an in real life trend (gegenpress or whatever the case). Let me put it this way: IRL you do get new trends because those tacticians that create such trends have the freedom to create them in the first place. That's how they are created and perfected in the first place. There was no 3 at the back until ... it was. There was no total football ... until it was. IRL anything, literally anything can work (to an extent) and thats the beauty of the game. This year's full release is the best I have seen in the last 3 years and I hope it will only improve :applause:

There wasn't a nerf to finishing, mostly just a balancing of external factors that influenced the matchday (I'd imagine, given I've seen changes in how the team talks and morale work in my play since the full release, that those are the external factors Neil's talking about). 

You've got to be more careful with how you do team talks and the like with players now, to stop them getting complacent and overconfident when playing well. Therefore it may just be, if your strikers have been kicking ass all season, that they just need a kick in the ass to be told they need to keep up the high level you expect of them. Too many people seem to just pick the same options and tell them you have faith in them 100% of the time, which isn't the best way to deal with your players.

1 minute ago, OHoh said:

dude but 24 corners? for me this is difficult to explain using tactics...

Hard to say without seeing the game on comprehensive, but I'd imagine between Aubameyang, Pepe and Bellerin the Villa defenders were being put under a lot of pressure and panic-clearing wherever they could. Particularly if you were playing attacking.  Might be an issue around defender's decision making. Could be worth packaging up the pkm (or a few if it keeps happening) and raise it as a bug.  It could be worthy of investigation by the devs. 

the core game is AMAZING and thank you DEVS for your work however the amount of issues/bugs is worrying

Hopefully we all can have patience and post it in the bugs section

I guess the large amount of bugs are the unfortunate thing about complex simulations compared to the lower amount of bugs from shooters or platformers

However FM21 is an amazing game and thee new features brought lots of immersion for us fans 

Edited by kingking

1 minute ago, kingking said:

Another issue is lack of staff reaction to team news

it feels robotic, lifeness that the staff have a lack of reaction.

i reported this issue previously however i guess it got ignored 

Reports don't get ignored. As Neil has said previously in this thread, reports go through to QA, who review them, and if there is a bug it'll get allocated a priority based on how critical the bug is, how many people it'll impact, how much it'll impact them, etc, and then bugs will be dealt with on that priority basis. It's more likely that a bug like that isn't high on the priority list compared to game crashes, league rule issues, graphical errors, etc.

1 minute ago, rp1966 said:

Hard to say without seeing the game on comprehensive, but I'd imagine between Aubameyang, Pepe and Bellerin the Villa defenders were being put under a lot of pressure and panic-clearing wherever they could. Particularly if you were playing attacking.  Might be an issue around defender's decision making. Could be worth packaging up the pkm (or a few if it keeps happening) and raise it as a bug.  It could be worthy of investigation by the devs. 

did that and waiting on a response, thanks by the way for being so insightful

5 minutes ago, JordanMillward_1 said:

Reports don't get ignored. As Neil has said previously in this thread, reports go through to QA, who review them, and if there is a bug it'll get allocated a priority based on how critical the bug is, how many people it'll impact, how much it'll impact them, etc, and then bugs will be dealt with on that priority basis. It's more likely that a bug like that isn't high on the priority list compared to game crashes, league rule issues, graphical errors, etc.

oh ok i didn't fully understand the process of bugs and how they get fixed

I guess it's not an easy process, especially during coronavirus times.

Us fans thank the devs for their hard work during these times.

Edited by kingking

13 minutes ago, JordanMillward_1 said:

Explains why the MLS has been broken for years then. People buy the game to play in Europe so there's no priority to fix the MLS as it's probably 1% of the player base who play there. 

• SI Staff
34 minutes ago, OHoh said:

you wanna see mine? lol

20201124152826_1.jpg

Please log a bug thread with an attached PKM in the Match AI area and we'll have a look.

20 minutes ago, JordanMillward_1 said:

There wasn't a nerf to finishing, mostly just a balancing of external factors that influenced the matchday (I'd imagine, given I've seen changes in how the team talks and morale work in my play since the full release, that those are the external factors Neil's talking about). 

You've got to be more careful with how you do team talks and the like with players now, to stop them getting complacent and overconfident when playing well. Therefore it may just be, if your strikers have been kicking ass all season, that they just need a kick in the ass to be told they need to keep up the high level you expect of them. Too many people seem to just pick the same options and tell them you have faith in them 100% of the time, which isn't the best way to deal with your players.

Thanks for your reply. I have just smashed Empoli and the finishing seemed fine in this game. I scored 1/3 from the good chances created and 3/4 from the great chances. This tells me that the strikers can still score, but like you said, sometimes the players might / will be affected by external factors.

A little tip for those who are as perplexed as me at only being able to review the player and analytical stats during the 'backroom HT advice' as soon as the first half ends, and not being able to review at any point during HT.

When you get to the HT backroom advice where you can review the data (the page as soon as the half finishes), and you want to make tactical changes based on these, press the 'Tactics & Subs' option bottom left. This will bring up your tactics, make some changes, and if you decide you want to review the data again (as I believe we should be inclined to do), then just press BACKSPACE and it will take you back to the HT advice page. From here you can review the data again and go back to tactics (bottom left) and make changes. IMO I now need to read the "Dressing Room" page as essentially start second half and I need to make any tactical adjustments before that where I have access to the information I want.