Football Manager 2021 Official Feedback Thread

10 hours ago, kiwityke said:

Yep same here which is why people screeching strikers are OP and attack needed nerfing never made a link of sense to me.

There is another separate thread that complained about the same issue and everyone got their strikers scoring for fun in that post. So yeah definitely not a game problem and more of a tactical issue.

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, SmurfDude said:

If SI had any sense they would consult us before they begin development on each new version. Otherwise they run the risk of creating a game that they want, and not a game that their customers want. The UI overhaul they decided to do is a perfect example of this.

Okay, and so what happens when just two people have a difference of opinion? Shut the game development down until those two resolve their difference of opinion and repeat the same again if the third then offers a difference of opinion? No game would ever get made. Game developers live and die by their decision to bring the game to market that they want to make - in the belief that enough of us want the product to make it financially viable. 

You have to remember that "I don't like" does not mean "Every single player does not like" and in almost every instance of video game feedback I've seen across my life, across genres, across platforms, those who dislike an aspect will infinitely outnumber in terms of public vocalisation those who have no strong feelings either way, or even really like it. 

8 hours ago, witticism said:

image.png.74fad23447a86ccc11e9228b827d42a4.png

Forget about the broken central play for the moment I am curious if anyone else's Match Analysis is graphically broken like that? some of the circles dont display correctly and the rest are not visible at all.

Also:

image.png.399cbd3bb663eab4b8b612ceea4fbfbe.png

Anyone else's Combination tool broken too?

i'm having this same problem. not sure what's the problem. i've changed the scaling and it still the same. any help will be appreciated.

4 hours ago, SmurfDude said:

I hope there are plans to fix the issue with the board being disappointed with every draw or loss. It's bloody annoying being expected to win every match

This has been happening for years. Not just FM21

20 minutes ago, zyfon5 said:

There is another separate thread that complained about the same issue and everyone got their strikers scoring for fun in that post. So yeah definitely not a game problem and more of a tactical issue.

I've had mine scoring freely and at other times not which is exactly how I'd expect. I still think the strikers are OP crowd are just wrong.

Gk's punting the ball forward for a one in one is ruining the game for me, Happens 3 times every game on average.

Gks leading team assists in the league in my games.

Also long throws are silly, Fly high land on the far post despite being taken by a player with 5 for a long throw stat.

ME still has serious problems.

Edited by qwerty22

6 hours ago, witticism said:

How you feel about game mechanics does not excuse bad UI design.

Look at this profound waste of space

image.thumb.png.5a757e38115bee6ff40b526b3f1c0402.png

black ceiling and grey floor? ok.

in the press conference & office background, you will see that the chairs appear floating because of the plain grey floor. Just very sloppy all around.

48 minutes ago, SmurfDude said:

If SI had any sense they would consult us before they begin development on each new version. Otherwise they run the risk of creating a game that they want, and not a game that their customers want. The UI overhaul they decided to do is a perfect example of this.

You do realise that no developer does this, right? Given that the people just on this forum can barely agree on anything at the best of times (and this forum is a tiny fraction of the people who buy and play the game), it'd be a terrible idea.

More waste of space:

gxApVZ3.jpg

Just poorly thought out really

How you feel about game mechanics does not excuse bad UI design.

Look at this profound waste of space

image.thumb.png.5a757e38115bee6ff40b526b3f1c0402.png

4k resolution is a bit much for FM.

13 minutes ago, JordanMillward_1 said:

You do realise that no developer does this, right? Given that the people just on this forum can barely agree on anything at the best of times (and this forum is a tiny fraction of the people who buy and play the game), it'd be a terrible idea.

I know we're all on this site cause we like - or want to like - playing this cool football game and none of us wants to get into a peeing contest; however, every good company absolutely does this. Smurf's "Us" doesn't mean all us forum users or every customer, but of course companies consult customers. How do they ensure they have a successful product that people will keep buying otherwise? 

Customer discovery interviews, regional user groups/advisory groups, customer labs/observing customers using the product, etc... There are a ton of poncy business speak terms we can throw out there, but if you're making product without direct customer involvement, you're doing it wrong.

Have no clue what's done with this product, but it to say it's a terrible idea to engage the customer base is... well... a terrible idea ;)

10 hours ago, kiwityke said:

Yeah and assists don't work in the analysis reports at all either. 

Also the +/- clear cut chances is also broken in there. It doesn't actually show you a correct total I went through and manually counted. Mine was showing -3 it was actually +12...

The whole analysts reports thing is totally baulked and useless this year I used to use that a fair bit in prior years.

Also what is the positions tab in that section? I haven't even worked out what that is even trying to show me.

Pretty sure this is related to the bug I've reported, still waiting for any response or acknowledgement.

17 hours ago, joshpmilton said:

This UI is bananas. As mentioned before, bottom left is the quick change in tactics. Top right is then the confirmation, a point on the screen that I'm 99% sure no other in match decisions require you to click up here? Very odd decision.

20201204110014_1.jpg

20201204110031_1.jpg

Holy **** I didn't realize 

1 hour ago, kiwityke said:

I've had mine scoring freely and at other times not which is exactly how I'd expect. I still think the strikers are OP crowd are just wrong.

I do not think they need any changes right now. I have not seen any major issues with strikers. The scoring is quite consistent with xG and strikers are getting more involved with build up play now. There are far more important issues in the game.

For anyone having stutter/lag issues in the match engine, reporting that mine appears to have been resolved.  The changes included 21.1.3 and the new Nvidia 457.51 driver released on Dec 2.  I'm unable to confirm which one made the difference, but gameplay is now smooth again like the beta (for last two games).  Running GTX 1080Ti very high settings.

5 hours ago, Harper said:

Not really, it just makes the existing problems impossible to ignore.

It would be better if they allowed you to change UI items to move to fit your own needs and preferences. They could let me change size of the individual things already present on the screen instead of anchoring each to the corners for no apparent reason, they could allow me to horizontally enlarge the conversation selection window, they could do many things but chose instead push through what we got instead with no thought given to the user experience.

So much clicking.

5 hours ago, Harper said:

All Windows applications should scale appropriately for all common resolutions and 4K is a very common resolution these days.  No way people should be expected to drop their screen to lower resolutions.

Ultrawides are a different matter - I'm not sure there's any way to get a UI to feel right on those. Great for the visuals, but not really suited to a single window text-based application. Would completely work for a popped-out 'tablet' window alongside the main match screen, through.

Edited by rp1966

I've played a shedload of FM21 hours now at various clubs, levels and nations with a wide variety of tactical set up's so here's the feedback for what it's worth.

The ME - I never really had a melt down on FM20 ME so my opinion is probably slanted, but I'm not really seeing 'the new ME is better'. Players still make stupid decisions (CB with loads of time and space heading back a long forward ball to land 10 yards in front of him in loads of space for an opposition player to pick up) or a player chasing hopeless balls and when they get there they stop themselves winning a throw/corner and give the ball away. If I saw somebody doing either in Sunday Pub League I'd roll eyes, but it happens a lot at high levels on FM21. 

I still see far too many 40-60 yard dribbles with the ball only to run in to a defender and be (usually slide) tackled, from my own team and opposition. It doesn't feel like I'm watch a professional match of a certain level. 

The UI - I tried to give it time, getting used to a new way of doing things, but as said here many times it's just a huge step back for me, especially the Match Day UI. It's not intuitive and really useful information is hidden or tucked away. It's not too much to ask to easily see who's been subbed, who got the assist, who's taken a knock at a glance. The UI won't change but I hope it can be tidied up. 

New Features - Underwhelmed. For example the gestures thing just seems like a new sweet wrapper for the same sweet we've had for a while now. This seems to cover a lot of new features, same as before just re-wrapped. 

SI seem to do this, add new features for unknown gain. I'm still working out the point of, or use of, Sports Scientists and Physio's. Does it make any difference having 3x Sports Scientists with 20 for Sport Science against the club with none or just one Sports Scientist with '1' for Sports Science Attribute? An added feature some years ago that I'm still unaware what they actually do or whether they are worth it in any shape or form.

That's just quick feedback, I've enjoyed the game despite all of the above, so don't want to come across entirely negative etc. :)

Edited by Jibby123

I mean seriously, is that such a hard thing to do? why don't we have the same visibility like we have without the toolbar below? its just a bit of optimization work, this should not take a whole month to solve.

I assume people  have raised this issue multiple times already, but i just don't get why it's not being solved already. I'm literally playing without the visibility of league table, opponent's team ratings... this makes no sense.

also, what stopped you from letting us the possibility to switch positions between two players through the toolbar at the bottom? why do  i need to go into the tactics for such a simple command? it's like you went the extra-mile this year to make the game less intuivite for the users. I seriously can't understand it, FM was always known for it's UI, what happened this year?

Iimage.thumb.png.2adb7af36b6371c95bee30f327b53caa.png

image.thumb.png.9ce09e2820842287bc9ede677fcc804f.png

Edited by mistershoko

One small thing I forgot to mention in favour of the UI. I love, love, love that conditioning (the little hearts) and match fitness (the little arrows) are now made vaguer and more "seat of the pants". Realism AND immersion. It actually is possible, folks!

It will work for match ratings too. In one fell swoop increase immersion AND kill some of the most silly situations of players apparently getting inexplicably good/bad ratings.

Edited by imp44791

1 hour ago, Showerman said:

Is this a bug ?

Playing as Milan in the CL I have had an English referee for every game so far (5) in my group, rest of the group is Real, Benfica and Lille.

I don’t even know how to go back and check the refs from previous games.

6th match now Michael Oliver 

this can’t be right ?

Every. Single. Time. I'm in a replay, I spend a heartbeat trying to remember how to get out of it or skip it, and then I remember that the "Skip" button sits on top of the enforced Match Stats panel?! instead of just to the right of the scoreboard where other view-related prompts sit (e.g., "Waiting for Next Highlight...").

Can I get this one tiny thing? Just move it to where it's easily viewable and consistent with other in-game messaging?

8 hours ago, rp1966 said:

All Windows applications should scale appropriately for all common resolutions and 4K is a very common resolution these days.  No way people should be expected to drop their screen to lower resolutions.

Ultrawides are a different matter - I'm not sure there's any way to get a UI to feel right on those. Great for the visuals, but not really suited to a single window text-based application. Would completely work for a popped-out 'tablet' window alongside the main match screen, through.

4k is commonly available, yes, but it's still in it is infancy of its uptake. 

And the application does scale. You don't need to change your resolution, but you should use the scale in the preferences to zoom in a bit. Other programs have this to (Excel example below), perhaps SI could make the scale selections available on the sidebar to allow for quick changes. 

I just went through and compared different screens on my laptop screen (MacBook Pro - 1680 x 1050) and my second monitor (ASUS ProArt Display PA278QV - 2560 x 1440). All of these are with the default skin, on 100% scale.

A majority of the screens scale, or better put, the panels scale. The problem is there isn't enough information to fill the scaled panels and text scales relative to its point size (again this happens in most programs).

That said, there were obvious issues specifically in the pre-match build-up.

• Team Selection: Laptop v Monitor
    • Might be able to expand the panel width to fill up more space and allow users with higher resolutions to see more columns in the squad view panel.
  • Dressing Room: Laptop v Monitor v Monitor @ 125% Scale
    • This has to be a bug initially, but once I changed the scale in the preferences, it looks fine.
  • Team Sheet: Laptop v Monitor
    • Looks fine to me, but it is a fluff experience screen. SI could potentially add panels on the side that display formations, league context, and other matches (and results of games player earlier in the round) and disappear on lower resolutions.

A solution here might be for SI to refine scaling so users can scale text separately from the skin panels. I'm sure it's possible, but is it worth while investment of developer time?

Edited by Harper

Overall, I'm very happy with this iteration of FM. I'm usually pre-sale purchaser, play the beta, then wait until the final patches role out in February to dig in. That's different this year (what isn't different this year?).

Gestures

Overall, I like the concept, although it does feel like it's just a repackaged tone system. The implementation maybe needs some work, but I'm interested to see how this is built upon in future iterations. 

Match Flow

I appreciate the flow from tactical meeting to squad selection to team talk to tunnel interview.   Could make better use of higher resolution, as highlighted in my previous post, but the flow, I like.

Match View

It took me a while, but I'm enjoying the new layout with the team on the bottom. There are definitely improvements to be made, particularly around making substitutions in a 5/3 competition. Right now, substitutions from the main window happen so quickly that you burn through the three stoppages. There should be a shout to tell a player to switch with another on the field (he would adopt any personalized Role/PI for the position) or once the shout is registered, you can make changes to the role as usually.

I'd like to see the tablet maximized to cover the whole screen in between highlights. Especially for those of us on lower resolutions. The match overview and dugout panels should be consolidated into the table view, rather than taking up the screen real estate they currently do.

I'm happy with how the tablet pops up over the match view. As is the case in real life, when I'm focusing on my phone or computer, I'm missing what's happening in the show or sport I'm watching. If a manager has his head buried in a tablet going over some feedback from the analysts or watching a replay, he's missing what happens in the moment.

I would appreciate if there were a replay center at half time that would allow me to quickly browse through and watch highlights of shots, fouls. I know I can click on the minute of an event on the match overview panel and see a highlight, but it's the patterns of play that don't necessarily end in a goal that inform me about my tactic.

Agent Interaction

Nice feature to have. Especially if you have to make choices about actually sending a scout to watch a player. Offers a quick confirmation of a scout's assessment of availability. I need to play with lower reputation sides to get more sense of it, but it certainly helps me eliminate a player from consideration based on their expectations. Is another area that I hope to see expanded upon.

Played the Demo as Exeter City and just gone into January 2021.  I thought it stopped at 31st December 2020 but I've gone a few days through and nothing so...?

Was excited to play having watch youtubers etc scoring quality goals and having exciting play in the beta but, although it looks good and some of the play is great I'm still a bit meh about it all.  I;m still not sure that my tactics are being used by the team.

A few oddities in the game (a youth player was described as scoring his first club goal in Oct 2020.  While the in game date was Aug 2020.  And my ass man telling me on a few occasions that we should close down player 'x' as he was running the game, when player 'x' was the goalkeeper...).  The xG is good but not always very believable.  I had a CCC after 30 seconds yesterday; these are now very rare but apparently this one only warranted an xG of 0.05?

I've gone back to FM20 until Christmas when I'll probably buy the game.  Hopefully then the board will not be upset with every draw... 

Wingbacks make a run and gets isolated to cross the ball to the striker, what they do? they wait for the opponent´s defender and  only then they cross, so either they lose the ball crossing to the body of the defender or they get a corner. :facepalm:

Edited by thegod102014

5 hours ago, Roncatto99 said:

Ahh the classic FM crap where as soon as your team is too good, the CPU makes your teams feet turn to bananas when they shoot to keep the scores down.

It really is boring to watch 30+ shots to score 1 goal yet the CPU has 2 shots to score.

1.png

2 minutes ago, mielony said:

1.png

Nothing here adds up. Barcelona had 11 shots, 3 from inside the box, and 6 from outside. And two from outside the stadium, I presume? And also 5 shots on goal, 6 off goal, and one blocked, so a total of 12. But five goal attempts, as in the remainder of the shots (whatever the number is) weren't goal attempts?

As for Cadiz, I presume they had one shot on goal, and the other goal was an own goal?

3 minutes ago, Zoolok42 said:

Nothing here adds up. Barcelona had 11 shots, 3 from inside the box, and 6 from outside. And two from outside the stadium, I presume? And also 5 shots on goal, 6 off goal, and one blocked, so a total of 12. But five goal attempts, as in the remainder of the shots (whatever the number is) weren't goal attempts?

As for Cadiz, I presume they had one shot on goal, and the other goal was an own goal?

Cadiz had 7 shots with 3 on target.

This New match UI completely break the immerson. I feel like watching (without much interest) a match instead of managing a team. I don't know what they are doing during the match, my assistant continue to tell me useless stats and if i want to change something it's very difficult.

It feels like those low-budget smartphone football manager look-a-like.